• 57 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (763 posts) -

So the last episode of Family Guy made attempts at 9/11 jokes, but the whole thing felt awkward to me. Yeah it has been 10 years since it happened, but it still felt weird. Maybe the jokes just sucked. Thoughts?

#2 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -

I don't care for Family Guy.

#3 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i didn't get to watch it. i was working and things.

#4 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (763 posts) -

I think its on Hulu right now if you have time and are interested. :)

#5 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (164 posts) -

Who cares.

#6 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

Family Guy hasn't been good for a number of years.

#7 Posted by kidman (471 posts) -

As said by one great master, Ricky Gervais, subject of the joke has nothing to do with it being funny or not.

#8 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Family Guy: Pushing boundaries because that's all it can do (besides reference pop culture history)

#9 Posted by Deadmanforking (578 posts) -

@AcidBrandon18 said:

Maybe the jokes just sucked.

It's Family Guy, so yes the jokes sucked.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

family guy wasn't ever good, really

#11 Posted by BrickRoad (704 posts) -

Everything is okay, or nothing is okay. This is how comedy works, you can't go 'hahaha, he sung about AIDS' and then go 'oh man people died at 9/11 grr'. People are heavily critical of Family Guy, and it's true that it's not the greatest thing out there, but believe me, there are much unfunnier shows. Like, Two and a half Men.

Online
#12 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Animasta said:

family guy wasn't ever good, really

Yeah. I've gone and watched the 'old' episodes that used to make me roll around with laughter, and they weren't funny at all. It was always forced and idiotic. South Park, on the other hand, is still good... even if the creators are fucking sick of making them.
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Would somebody mind posting the joke in question? Or is that simply not possible? A synopsis, perhaps?

#14 Posted by KarlPilkington (2758 posts) -

Considering Seth MacFarlene was meant to be on the first plane that went into the World Trade Center I feel like he has more of right to make jokes than others.

#15 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Hacks writing bad jokes for dumb people.

#16 Posted by captain_clayman (3325 posts) -

family guy just makes jokes about sensitive topics just because.  south park does the same thing but they're actually funny and have a point to them.

#17 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

It's not the subject matter, Family Guy just isn't funny.

#18 Posted by Turambar (6808 posts) -

Can someone post just what the joke was?  I'm not going to exert effort in finding an episode of a show I have no interest in watching.

#19 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6305 posts) -

@BrickRoad said:

Everything is okay, or nothing is okay. This is how comedy works, you can't go 'hahaha, he sung about AIDS' and then go 'oh man people died at 9/11 grr'. People are heavily critical of Family Guy, and it's true that it's not the greatest thing out there, but believe me, there are much unfunnier shows. Like, Two and a half Men.

Yes.

#20 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

They´ve made jokes about that stuff before and that´s what they do.

#21 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Family Guy is finally over? Oh thank god, that show was terrible.

#22 Posted by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -

I guess I'll be the lone voice and say I thought it was pretty funny in how absurd the situation was.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Family Guy has been sad and awkward ever since they turned the show into literally "show a celebrity headshot and call him/her names" as a form of comedy, as well as the uncomfortable jokes and idiotic flashbacks. 
 
So, I'm not surprised.

#24 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1330 posts) -

Man alot of Family Guy hate in this thread, I thought that episode was pretty good, still one of my favorite shows.

#25 Posted by super2j (1733 posts) -

@KarlPilkington: wouldn't that be the opposite way around? I mean he lucked out and wasn't on that plane, so now he is making fun of the incident that other people were not lucky enough to get out off? Of course thats if what you said was true and not a sarcastic joke.

#26 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

south park and family guy both suck equaly

#27 Posted by DeeGee (2140 posts) -

South Park and Family Guy are both great.

#28 Posted by EuanDewar (5029 posts) -

Oh man, that is up there with "Bryan Ferry and Rape" in terms of Incredibly untantilising thread titles.

#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@AcidBrandon18 said:

So the last episode of Family Guy made attempts at 9/11 jokes, but the whole thing felt awkward to me. Yeah it has been 10 years since it happened, but it still felt weird. Maybe the jokes just sucked. Thoughts?

Family guy is based on awkward jokes. Where have you been dude? 
#30 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I increasingly feel like MacFarlane is just fucking with his audience, now. After that hour-long Brian-and-Stewie-stuck-in-a-bank-vault episode, I just sense that he is seeing how much of his nonsensical bullshit people are going to put up with, only because it's supposed to be funny.

After this week's rather terrible episode, I've decided to stop watching that show. And I was a fan, once upon a time (my username probably gives it away).

#31 Posted by Tebbit (4472 posts) -

Sometimes the only joke in an entire scene is people vomiting. They set the bar real low early on.

#32 Posted by supermonkey122 (835 posts) -

I love Family Guy

#33 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

So let me get this straight Family Guy is super funny when they make fun of other countries but when they do jokes about stuff that happens in America, it's "pathetic" and "boring" ? I understand you "people" a lot better now

#34 Posted by Suedehead (112 posts) -

Family Guy was never good, you were just worse.

#35 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

Oh man, that is up there with "Bryan Ferry and Rape" in terms of Incredibly untantilising thread titles.

Someone talking shit about Bryan Ferry? Where is he? *puts up fists*

#36 Edited by artofwar420 (6294 posts) -

What's next? We're gonna discuss the influence Mike and Molly have on homeland security? Or how Two & a Half Men is really a reflection of our unconscious desire to dangle our genitals around eternally-young 30 year olds?

#37 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

its family guy was never funny.

#38 Posted by Zinc (200 posts) -

I quite enjoyed that episode. It was interesting to see how much that show changed since the pilot episode. I tend to thinly that Family Guy has been lacking in quality the last couple years, but that episode was great.

#39 Posted by 71Ranchero (2782 posts) -

@FunExplosions said:

@Animasta said:

family guy wasn't ever good, really

Yeah. I've gone and watched the 'old' episodes that used to make me roll around with laughter, and they weren't funny at all. It was always forced and idiotic. South Park, on the other hand, is still good... even if the creators are fucking sick of making them.

They are equally bad. Both shows do nothing more then pander to the lowest common denominator.

#40 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

I better be cool and popular here.. ahm, Family Guy sucks! Also, CoD sucks too! Ha! I'm cool and popular now WEE!

#41 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Atramentous said:

@FunExplosions said:

@Animasta said:

family guy wasn't ever good, really

Yeah. I've gone and watched the 'old' episodes that used to make me roll around with laughter, and they weren't funny at all. It was always forced and idiotic. South Park, on the other hand, is still good... even if the creators are fucking sick of making them.

They are equally bad. Both shows do nothing more then pander to the lowest common denominator.

Lowest common denominator? I don't like Family Guy, but if all you see when you watch that show is fart jokes and toilet humor, then you're too far away to even try to help.
#42 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1700 posts) -

Never really understood the "I hope this show gets cancelled" mentality. Is there a danger that you'll accidentally sit through an episode? Could you perhaps check out one of the other hundreds of channels during this half hour in your week? Is it at all conceivable that in this vast world of ours, there may be different people with different tastes and that maybe you shouldn't wish death upon something they enjoy just so that you can... continue to not watch it?

#43 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Never really understood the "I hope this show gets cancelled" mentality. Is there a danger that you'll accidentally sit through an episode? Could you perhaps check out one of the other hundreds of channels during this half hour in your week? Is it at all conceivable that in this vast world of ours, there may be different people with different tastes and that maybe you shouldn't wish death upon something they enjoy just so that you can... continue to not watch it?

My guess would be they feel it propagates stupidity, like Jersey Shore.

I don't really care one way or another, personally, though.

#44 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1264 posts) -

I liked the episode. I always like time travel jokes based off of a Back to the Future 2 situation. Although it culminates in pretty much the same way as an episode of Sealab 2021.

My point is comedy is subjective. Although it's getting to the point of being hilarious that every other post in this thread is that Family Guy sucks.

#45 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

family guy is funny. i thought it was funny.

/thread

#46 Posted by Soap (3607 posts) -

@BrickRoad said:

Everything is okay, or nothing is okay. This is how comedy works, you can't go 'hahaha, he sung about AIDS' and then go 'oh man people died at 9/11 grr'. People are heavily critical of Family Guy, and it's true that it's not the greatest thing out there, but believe me, there are much unfunnier shows. Like, Two and a half Men.

FUCKING PREACH IT!

#47 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

I actually thought that that episode was one of their best in years.

#48 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Jokes about 9/11 were relevant in like 2004. This is just a bit sad. Like-- are they gonna make jokes about Michael Jackson in the next episode? Pretty shocking guys.

#49 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

Family Guy is awesome ........ to each his own:

"I scored a touchdown"

#50 Posted by NickM (1083 posts) -

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.