This thread is weird.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By sgjackson

I was like 6'2" and 205-210, depending on how much I was working out, in high school. Kinda chubby, never was in great shape, never awful either. However, once I graduated, I ballooned up to 235, a combination of hating school and a more sedentary lifestyle (less exercise and MORE OPPORTUNITY TO GRAZE, people never mention that but you get fatter by not having enough shit to do). Eventually, I looked at a pic of my self, decided I looked disgusting, and started eating right and working out hardcore. Lost 50 pounds one summer, got down to 185, got a bunch of lady friends to go clothes shopping with me, and now I look a lot better. It's all about deciding you want to change, and going out and grabbing the bull by the horns. You control your life, man.

I've gained a little back and am thinking about starting my regimen up again to try to get a six-pack. It'll be hard but so fucking worth it if I get there (or as close as I can genetically come to one).

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@sgjackson: I have told many people this before. A 6 pack is pretty easy to get, it's just that most people 'do it wrong'.

All you need to get a 6 pack is cardio, the abs are already there but just covered by fat.

I honestly did no crunches or situps and just did cardio and now I have a 6er.
sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By sgjackson
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @sgjackson: I have told many people this before. A 6 pack is pretty easy to get, it's just that most people 'do it wrong'.  All you need to get a 6 pack is cardio, the abs are already there but just covered by fat.  I honestly did no crunches or situps and just did cardio and now I have a 6er. "For
Yeah I know this, for the most part, it's just a matter of giving enough of a damn to get in that ideal range and staying there.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@sgjackson: you mean a weight range? I'm 6ft 1" and about 78kg
sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By sgjackson
@sodiumCyclops said:

" @sgjackson: you mean a weight range? I'm 6ft 1" and about 78kg "

I've got a couple of inches on you so I'd probably be around 175 pounds, but yeah.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@sgjackson: awesome. If you do start getting back on track, let me know how it goes. I'm actually looking for someone to kinda compete with :D
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#108  Edited By AhmadMetallic
 I loved the feedback, guys and gals! extremely interesting opinions either on not caring and having it as a part of me, or fighting it away and enjoying the pleasant self-confidence and good looks.. this needs some decision making! 
thanks for the advices and points of view.

@luce
said:
" I have a medical condition that prevents me from being fat  "
teach me your ways
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By turbomonkey138

No Caption Provided
I'm the guy on the left . I'm kinda husky but it doesn't really bother me too much . Although could do with loosing some weight :3 
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@sgjackson said:
" It's all about deciding you want to change, and going out and grabbing the bull by the horns. You control your life, man. "
but what about when your lifestyle and tendencies are all about sitting/lying down watching shit or playing video games?  
Back in April i tried dieting, i ate small healthy meals and bought an exercise bike and exercised for half an hour a day.. went on for 5 weeks and i lost 6 kilos, but i just couldnt take it because i wasnt being myself ! 

whats the point of a healthy goodlooking lifestyle if its not your bag ? im not interested in being so active and shit, my main hobbies consist of me sitting down and enjoying the different mediums of media..  
Believe me i keep telling myself i wanna start a diet, and i get on the bike once in a while. i really dont wanna fall under the fatso stereotype and try to avoid it but doing so means changing myself and what i do and enjoy and that cant be done..  

i wanna lie in bed and watch Seinfeld, u hear me ?
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By MysteriousBob
@armaan8014 said:
" I'm super thin, my bones stick out :( That's bad too, so be happy! :D "
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#112  Edited By StrikeALight
@emkeighcameron said:
" Life is fucking hard, and if you lie down and let it, it will beat the shit out of you. And it sounds like it's been whoopin' up all over your sorry ass.  You are fat, you admit it, and you're clearly uncomfortable about it, otherwise you wouldn't BE here. You want validation for it. You want us to say it's "OK" to be fat so you don't feel bad anymore.   But here's the problem: even if we say "it's fine to be fat, don't worry" you'll STILL feel bad about yourself. We can't change the way you think about yourself. You may be fooled for a few days, but sooner or later you'll come back to thinking "Christ, I look fatter than ever." So toughen up, son. You got a long road to haul. Cut out the fucking bad food. Start exercising. Go join a gym, or a dojo, or some outdoor club.   You CAN live out the rest of your life as a lonely fat-ass, but do you really want to? "
This. If you're unhappy about the way you look, do something about it! Remove the barriers and you'll find its very simple living a healthy existence.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By StrikeALight
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @sgjackson said:

" It's all about deciding you want to change, and going out and grabbing the bull by the horns. You control your life, man. "
but what about when your lifestyle and tendencies are all about sitting/lying down watching shit or playing video games?  Back in April i tried dieting, i ate small healthy meals and bought an exercise bike and exercised for half an hour a day.. went on for 5 weeks and i lost 6 kilos, but i just couldnt take it because i wasnt being myself !  whats the point of a healthy goodlooking lifestyle if its not your bag ? im not interested in being so active and shit, my main hobbies consist of me sitting down and enjoying the different mediums of media..  Believe me i keep telling myself i wanna start a diet, and i get on the bike once in a while. i really dont wanna fall under the fatso stereotype and try to avoid it but doing so means changing myself and what i do and enjoy and that cant be done..   i wanna lie in bed and watch Seinfeld, u hear me ? "
You don't have to change anything if you're happy with yourself, thats the point.  Being overweight has become the norm, but it hasn't just happened overnight.

A lot of people seem to have a mental block when it comes to exercise / healthy eating, or have a self-fulfilling notion that they will never be in shape. Its really not that complicated. It never was to begin with.
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By ZimboDK
@Ahmad_Metallic:  Yeah, I'm like you. I don't exercise at all, and my lifestyle is very much like yours: eating and sitting in front of the TV or computer all day. I've also had a major depression that lasted a couple of years. Didn't exactly help with the weight. Before I started my diet I weighed in at a whopping 423 lbs... yeah. So, I got some help for the depression and then started to focus on my weight.
You can't do everything at once, so treating both mental and physical problems at the same time is bound to fail. If you are depressed (which, based on your posts it sounds like you could be), get some help for that first. Having someone to talk to, friends, family or a trained professional really helps.

Losing weight isn't really that hard. You just have to burn more calories than you eat. I sit on my ass all day and have lost about 30 lbs doing nothing. Of course, with my size it's relatively easy to lose weight.

Now if I was you, I would make a food diary for a week. Write down everything you eat and drink during that week, and then start to figure out how many calories you're taking in every day. The internet is a great resource for that. After that, it's basically just a matter of adjusting it until you get the calories down to an acceptable level (and depending on your size, this can vary).

I used to drink about 2000 calories a day, and eat about 2000, so there was a lot of improvement to be made. I started out by dropping the Coke and drinking water. That lasted about two days (I fucking hate water). Tried lemonade. Lasted about 2 weeks (turns out lemonade makes me queasy after a while). Tried a combo of milk and juice (turns out they both have a ton of calories). Now I drink diet Pepsi. I get about 3 calories a day and no sugar from fluids. So it's not the best for my body, but it tastes fucking great.

Regarding your food consumption, you probably don't have to make a major adjustment. I don't think it will be too difficult for you to find good food that is also healthy. You do need to limit yourself though, which is by far the hardest thing to do. I don't really have a lot of advice on how to do that, that's basically up to you. Once you get into a certain rhythm though, it's pretty easy to keep going. And you are going to give in at some point and get a cheeseburger or a ton of candy. That's fine, dieting shouldn't be about punishing yourself . Just don't do it too often, and your weight should go down.

And don't weigh yourself every day. That road leads to madness. Once a week or every two weeks is fine.

Also, forget about dieting in December. It doesn't really work around Christmas. I blame Santa.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By xyzygy

Some guys look very good with weight on, while others don't. I can think of two GB staff members who fit this, one for each of these two descriptions.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By KaosAngel

I once flew between Osaka and Seoul, true story and I shit you not. 

I ended up buying an economy class ticket because JAL wanted an extra $3,000 for business...I said fuck that for a couple hour flight.  Ended up sitting next to some American kid who was crazy otaku like...his god damn fat was on my armrest, and he didn't look at me the entire time.  It was like he knew the situation, and god damn it was horrible.  

Anyways, just felt like sharing the story.  I got nothing against fat people, but reading this thread reminded me of that flight.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By OmegaPirate
@Ihmishylje: Not sure what you mean by unpopular opinions on the boards but as far as this thread goes you pretty much nailed it brah !
rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By rm082e
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @sgjackson said:
but what about when your lifestyle and tendencies are all about sitting/lying down watching shit or playing video games?  Back in April i tried dieting, i ate small healthy meals and bought an exercise bike and exercised for half an hour a day.. went on for 5 weeks and i lost 6 kilos, but i just couldnt take it because i wasnt being myself !  whats the point of a healthy goodlooking lifestyle if its not your bag ? im not interested in being so active and shit, my main hobbies consist of me sitting down and enjoying the different mediums of media..  Believe me i keep telling myself i wanna start a diet, and i get on the bike once in a while. i really dont wanna fall under the fatso stereotype and try to avoid it but doing so means changing myself and what i do and enjoy and that cant be done..   i wanna lie in bed and watch Seinfeld, u hear me ? "

You have to look at taking care of your body with proper nutrition and exercise the same way you look at going to work and practicing personal hygiene: it's something you just have to do to keep yourself in the best position to enjoy the things you like.  

You don't have to be a walking Bowflex commercial to lose fat and get more energy. It only takes 30 minutes of solid cardio a day and good decisions at meal times to stay fit. You don't have to stop sitting in front of the TV or PC. 
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#119  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm not really that fat, but now, after reading through all of this, I kind of want to lose some weight ;_;

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120  Edited By Rockdalf
@rm082e said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @sgjackson said:
 You have to look at taking care of your body with proper nutrition and exercise the same way you look at going to work and practicing personal hygiene: it's something you just have to do to keep yourself in the best position to enjoy the things you like.   You don't have to be a walking Bowflex commercial to lose fat and get more energy. It only takes 30 minutes of solid cardio a day and good decisions at meal times to stay fit. You don't have to stop sitting in front of the TV or PC.  "
Gotta agree with a lot of sentiment here that cardio is way way way underrated.   Paraphrasing what my drill sergeant said, "You never know when you might need to run a little faster or go a little longer, but I've never need to deadlift a volkswagon."

Get a diet right for you and do some god damned cardio, you'll get results.
rm082e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By rm082e
@Rockdalf said:

Gotta agree with a lot of sentiment here that cardio is way way way underrated.   Paraphrasing what my drill sergeant said, "You never know when you might need to run a little faster or go a little longer, but I've never need to deadlift a volkswagon."  Get a diet right for you and do some god damned cardio, you'll get results. "

I agree, but it's really satisfying seeing your strength improve over time when you stick to it. Seeing little hills and valleys form on your arms, legs and chest after a few months of solid lifting is very cool. Just have to be careful with the form and avoid injury, especially on Dead lifts. :)
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ryanwho

You can be secure all you want, but you're also living evidence why universal healthcare is a shitty idea until you lose your weight. Makes no fucking sense for me to pay for your insulin because you have no self control. I won't make fun of you, but you don't get handicapped parking for being a fucking pig.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By TorMasturba

I'm about 40lbs over my desired weight. 
But I cycle to and from work and the job I work in involves me constantly moving about all day, and also shifting moderately weighty objects around an office for some of the day. 
So I'm happy with how I am. 
Next to this I'm 23 years old, 24 on the 11th of this month, I've reached the point in my life where I just don't give a shit what people think any more. 
Especially so considering that in an office situation, where I work, there's people who believe they should be allowed to walk on me if the floor is icey/dirty. (Complete ass-holes!) 
Sure there's some cool people there that I consider friends, more like good colleagues. But the fact is that why should you give a shit what people think? 
The more vocal people are usually the people that're more bothered how they are percieved than you'll ever be. 

At the end of the day I'm smarter than almost all of the people in the office that I work at, and I'm going to be on a major pay-cheque in the future, so I just grit my teeth and get on with it. 

EDIT: Sorry I went off topic there, I've just got back from work and I'm kinda in my "inner-dialogue" mode at the moment.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Meltac

Pull yourself together, and go sweat. 

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By gamefreak9
@Atlas:  
I hate it when people give a list of excuses to justify their form, especially when they care. How bout you write two words in the thread and instead stand up and do some squats or w/e you can do. Don't list bs excuses, i've seen a friend of mine go from 250 pounds to 180 in 1 year, all it takes is willpower, and you making up excuses for yourself and trying to get external confirmation is just to make you feel better about it by proving to yourself that its not under your control. SURPRISE, it is.  

I am not denying that there are people who have it in their genes, there are, but even that can be helped, it just takes more willpower.  
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By gamefreak9
@xyzygy:  
I hope jeff is the one whom it matches...
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@ryanwho said:
" You can be secure all you want, but you're also living evidence why universal healthcare is a shitty idea until you lose your weight. Makes no fucking sense for me to pay for your insulin because you have no self control. I won't make fun of you, but you don't get handicapped parking for being a fucking pig. "
im miles away from being diabetic but i like the way you think! a little blunt and inconsiderate, but... oh wait, too inconsiderate actually.  

I smoke and drink occasionally, but i do it in moderation and have no problem quitting for long periods of time, i think its very easy and barely needs any self control, however i dont go around smokers and drinkers telling them they're a shameful fucking disgrace or that they're causing global warming or second hand smoking willfully..  
I have no idea how it feels for them and how hard it is for them to manage without a cigarette, its their lives they're living second by second, not mine.  I could have an idea, but we're miles away from knowing what another human being feels and goes through in body and soul.

I'm sure blunt badasses like you dont identify with something called "personal issues", to you they dont exist because you dont have them, or they're easy to overcome because you managed to overcome them.. As far as im concerned, you're a Nazi, because as much as i agree with you that change can happen and that those diabetic overweight people are partially guilty for not letting universal healthcare be a good and progressive concept, you're too extreme and senseless, and thats always a bad thing.
sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By sgjackson
@rm082e said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @sgjackson said:
 You have to look at taking care of your body with proper nutrition and exercise the same way you look at going to work and practicing personal hygiene: it's something you just have to do to keep yourself in the best position to enjoy the things you like.   You don't have to be a walking Bowflex commercial to lose fat and get more energy. It only takes 30 minutes of solid cardio a day and good decisions at meal times to stay fit. You don't have to stop sitting in front of the TV or PC.  "
Pretty much this. Also, it has side benefits like making you look good to other people, which does wonders for the whole confidence thing.

Eventually you need to decide whether you're cool with yourself (and all the ramifications of that), or whether you want to change. That's your MO, personally, I decided I wanted to change. It's worth it.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@melcene:   @GilbertMordinAndSullivan: @SSully:  @sodiumCyclops:    @aurahack: @MrKlorox: @rm082e:   @Ihmishylje: @Errordotocx: @Frederik:   @ZagZagovich: @emkeighcameron: @Atlas: @Depressing_Wizard:  
@sgjackson:  @StrikeALight:  @ZimboDK:  @rm082e:  @Rockdalf:  

this thread happened the same time i was getting sick and tired of spending my life worrying and being uncomfortable and unsatisfied with a frown on my face day and night 

the advices and experiences shared by this fine community really were the last push i needed and today, i started turning my life around. my years are passing one after the other as i sit and eat and have no life and feel down. what the fuck is the point of this sort of living? even if i had my reasons 

today i did 1.5 hours on the exercise bike and started a serious diet, in addition to other social changes and things i just couldnt bear anymore..  this time is truly feels different. no more bullshit and no more sagging guts to whine about, its time i enjoyed life and im gonna do it with an enough-fit body to keep my peace of mind. 

I feel like a lame-o who needed a pathetic internet intervention from strangers to make a change, but thats how it is and i dont mind it. the people around me cant help someone for shit, so i guess turning to an internet community isnt such a crime..  we're all people afterall !
 thanks guys. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By HandsomeDead

I just realised that even though the tag on my jacket said medium, the label inside says small. Fucking A. Still need to hit that gym though.

Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#131  Edited By Arbie
@Ahmad_Metallic: Great to hear you're already making a change for the better with your health! I hope it works out well and you stick to it! =]
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By xyzygy
@gamefreak9: Lol, he's one of them :P
spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By spudtastic

I've gotten a gut during midlife.My doctor has called me 'obese'. I recently dropped 12 # , so I don't know if i still qualify.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm getting my mom a set of wrist/ankle weights for xmas to help her injury recovery, and I might have to make use of them myself when she isn't. I'm so fucking lazy that wearing wrist weights while I play PC games is considered working out to me.

CitizenSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#135  Edited By CitizenSlug
@Ahmad_Metallic:  Good to hear man! It can be difficult to maintain at times, but just remember the end result. As I said in my last post I was going to start up cardio again, and I have. I'm finding out that after seven months of nothing, cardio is harder than ever. Difficult to the point of me nearly throwing up tonight LOL. Whatever, it takes being a little uncomfortable feelings to get the job done haha. Back at it again tomorrow!

Also, for those of you like myself who at times suffer from depression and anxiety, a little working out and cardio does a lot. Seriously, you'll feel better.

Good luck to everyone.
defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By defaulttag
I disagree with accepting being overweight or obese. However, I  cannot blame everything on the individual. I just came from nutrition class, so bare with me: there's many factors to being overweight and obesity other than an individual's lack of discipline. poverty is one. cheap food/fast food is high in fat, sodium, sugar, not nutrients people actually need, yet it is very convenient. going to a grocery store, buying ingredients, and cooking them yourself (the overall healthier way to approach food) costs a little more and takes work. If you're poor, you're not worried about getting the right nutrients, you're worried about filling your stomach and paying the bills. you can then link that to education. not everyone knows exactly what it means to eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. another is environment. are the people around this person eating healthy and helping them to become healthy as well? or are they overweight/obese as well? Obesity is unfortunately an epidemic. Almost 1/3 of the US population is overweight/obese. The environment we're surrounded by is not helping. fast food is in every street corner. ads for unhealthy foods on tv. the grocery store to fast food ratio in cities leans towards fast food. Most jobs today require little physical movement, and thus is not a source of exercise at all. Exercise is something people avoid because in the short term of things, its painful, and requires time and effort which some people may not have. As for education, not everyone goes to school. And those that do, nutrition is not necessarily taught in all schools. Obesity is becoming more common in minors. Most likely their parents are obese as well. Parenting is a factor. Lastly and most importantly, is the individual. If you do have the education and know what you need to do to be healthy, I'd say go do it. You'll feel a lot better in the short terms of things. you're stress will decrease, and your depression/anxiety will as well. Long term-wise, you'll start to look better/perhaps more attractive and more importantly, live longer. Unfortunately, most people don't even begin to try. People rely on medications to keep themselves from dying (to put that bluntly). Ironically, medications cost way more than buying and cooking healthy food/exercising. Obesity, when you're young, may seem benign, and its possible that you feel completely fine. But it's best to change that while you're young because when you're older, the problems will manifest and it's really not worth tolerating. Healthcare unfortunately is expensive and should not be completely relied on to stay alive. No one wants to be admitted into the hospital. No one wants to be bothered with constant medication. Best to prevent it from happening or at least postponing it (some diseases just cannot be avoided when you get older). Obesity leads to many complications: high blood pressure which can lead to stroke and kidney failure, diabetes which can cause acidosis (your body becomes acidic and you can go into shock and die) as well as eventual permanent blood vessel and nerve damage to extremities (worse is when it reaches your eyes =blind), atherosclerosis or build up of fat/cholesterol in blood vessels can lead to heart attacks as well as strokes. Development of cancer is also linked to obesity. SO TO DEAL WITH BEING OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE IS TO STOP BEING OBESE OR OVERWEIGHT. Now if you don't want to deal with it, then that's your choice and just accept your situation. hiding it with clothing is not going to do much. 
Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Frederik
@Ahmad_Metallic: That's amazing! Congratulations, i really hope you stick with it. It's okay to start of light as long as you're consistent. 

I really hope the best for you.
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By nail1080

wtf? cringe...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@defaulttag said:

" I disagree with accepting being overweight or obese. However, I  cannot blame everything on the individual. I just came from nutrition class, so bare with me: there's many factors to being overweight and obesity other than an individual's lack of discipline. poverty is one. cheap food/fast food is high in fat, sodium, sugar, not nutrients people actually need, yet it is very convenient. going to a grocery store, buying ingredients, and cooking them yourself (the overall healthier way to approach food) costs a little more and takes work. If you're poor, you're not worried about getting the right nutrients, you're worried about filling your stomach and paying the bills. you can then link that to education. not everyone knows exactly what it means to eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. another is environment. are the people around this person eating healthy and helping them to become healthy as well? or are they overweight/obese as well? Obesity is unfortunately an epidemic. Almost 1/3 of the US population is overweight/obese. The environment we're surrounded by is not helping. fast food is in every street corner. ads for unhealthy foods on tv. the grocery store to fast food ratio in cities leans towards fast food. Most jobs today require little physical movement, and thus is not a source of exercise at all. Exercise is something people avoid because in the short term of things, its painful, and requires time and effort which some people may not have. As for education, not everyone goes to school. And those that do, nutrition is not necessarily taught in all schools. Obesity is becoming more common in minors. Most likely their parents are obese as well. Parenting is a factor. Lastly and most importantly, is the individual. If you do have the education and know what you need to do to be healthy, I'd say go do it. You'll feel a lot better in the short terms of things. you're stress will decrease, and your depression/anxiety will as well. Long term-wise, you'll start to look better/perhaps more attractive and more importantly, live longer. Unfortunately, most people don't even begin to try. People rely on medications to keep themselves from dying (to put that bluntly). Ironically, medications cost way more than buying and cooking healthy food/exercising. Obesity, when you're young, may seem benign, and its possible that you feel completely fine. But it's best to change that while you're young because when you're older, the problems will manifest and it's really not worth tolerating. Healthcare unfortunately is expensive and should not be completely relied on to stay alive. No one wants to be admitted into the hospital. No one wants to be bothered with constant medication. Best to prevent it from happening or at least postponing it (some diseases just cannot be avoided when you get older). Obesity leads to many complications: high blood pressure which can lead to stroke and kidney failure, diabetes which can cause acidosis (your body becomes acidic and you can go into shock and die) as well as eventual permanent blood vessel and nerve damage to extremities (worse is when it reaches your eyes =blind), atherosclerosis or build up of fat/cholesterol in blood vessels can lead to heart attacks as well as strokes. Development of cancer is also linked to obesity. SO TO DEAL WITH BEING OVERWEIGHT OR OBESE IS TO STOP BEING OBESE OR OVERWEIGHT. Now if you don't want to deal with it, then that's your choice and just accept your situation. hiding it with clothing is not going to do much.  "

terrific post.. for someone who doesnt give a shit about leading a healthy life, that really got me worried about my health !  very good points made in this post, if only the structure was a little better formatted. that was painful to read! 

your avatar really shows that you're healthy and fit btw !
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By turbomonkey138

Love these arm chair fitness instructors :3

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
@Ahmad_Metallic:
 I understand the depression side of gaining weight. I used to weigh 190 pounds at 6'2 and bench 300 pounds about 4 years ago. Then, I had a girlfriend break up with me, lose my job, and a stream of debt I had to pay for without and means to do it come rolling in. 
Needless to say, in about a year-and-a-halfs time, I jumped up to 300 pounds... 

Over time, I didn't realize I had gained weight, but I started noticing pants weren't fitting anymore and clothes weren't fitting as well as I went from Large shirts, to XXL. I felt ashamed and tried to hide. Wearing baggier clothes to try and mask the appearence of being thin, but I saw pictures of myself and was so embarassed how big I was in the picture. Then I started not wanting ANYONE to take my pictures or go to any formal things (such as job interviews, parties, etc) because I didn't want to wear slacks or nice clothes because of how big I have gotten and was embarassed that I didn't look "fit" in them or even worse, that I didn't fit into those nice clothes. 

Needless to say, the only thing that got me out of this depression was to start working out. I started very small, just walking around my neighborhood/treadmill for 45 minutes a day and cutting out junkfood as my depression "crutch". And you'd be surprised just how easy your depression goes away when you start feeling better, working up that walk for 45 minutes into a jog, and eventually a run. Then the weight starts coming off, and I know it seems stereotypical but people start talking to you more and treating you differently when you start getting in shape. I know that seems idiotic, but I noticed that people were doing it. Anyway, here is some support hoping that you get out of your slump! 
mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By mshaw006

I applaud your efforts, Ahmad_Metallic. Good job on getting started. I want to point out, however, that diets have a fatal flaw: they are temporary. Going on a diet can take a lot of pride swallowing, and a lot of self-imposed restriction. If you ever find yourself wanting a different way to eat better, you could just eat when you're hungry, and by hungry I mean physically hungry, not psychologically desirous of food. It's tough to tell sometimes when it's your stomach or your mind telling you that you should eat, but if you manage to listen to your stomach only, you'll find yourself eating less (and not necessarily at mealtimes) and enjoying meals more. I'm only suggesting this as a fallback, or something to keep in your back pocket should you hit a rough patch.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#143  Edited By big_jon

I used to weigh about 235 too 240lbs on average at a height of 6'3, I worked out quite a bit but never really did cardio though. Three years ago my father died of congestive heart failure, he was a big heavy guy. Out of sheer pain, emotion and fear of death I started running and after that I also started eating better and  now I weigh about 215lbs because of it  still a big guy but not fat . It is much nicer, walking, running ad the rare biking are all so easy now compared to in the past and chicks dig it too. 

Me on the right, yes I am playing Warhammer. :)

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#144  Edited By big_jon
@xyzygy:
I think I know which is which. 

@turbomonkey138

said:

"Love these arm chair fitness instructors :3 "

And I dislike pretentious douche bags who have nothing to add so instead make pessimistic comments to boost thier ego then stroke their chin thinking that they're clever or something.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#145  Edited By mike

I used to be super fat, then I finally got my shit together and dropped about 140 pounds. I'm 6'2" and 205 now. The biggest life lesson I've learned is that in general, people are shallow.