#51 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

@Animasta: Yeah, some great shredding on "Tetragrammatron", but "L'Via L'Viaquez" is sensational. Bedlam had some great songs ("Metatron, "Agadez" and "Soothsayer" being the best IMO), but since Amputechture they've stopped making albums that feel like great arching epics of music. That's fine, but I loved how FTM and Amputechture flowed as records, and they had some great individual pieces within the larger structure. Nocturniquet took a few listens for me to warm to, but it feels like a beefier more confident record than Octahedron, which I still liked but consider to be their weakest album.

Man, I need more people in my life I can talk to about music.

#52 Posted by Mirado (1057 posts) -

Most of my favorite bands released stuff late last year, so my list is pretty short:

The Heavy - The Glorious Dead: Sort of sounds like The Black Keys and Gnarls Barkley blended together, and that's (almost) as awesome as you'd think it sounds. Nice to hear some of their bigger hits from the second album in BL2!

Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes: Seriously, has he ever made a bad album? He strips away a bit of the last's complexity but in return everything just flows so well. Much more accessible then his previous offering without dampening the creativity.

Purity Ring - Shrines: Now this is a debut. I was initially worried that they couldn't carry a full album, but there's enough variations on a core theme that it all works out without feeling boring. One of highlights is just how well the contrast of synths and drum loops work against lyrics that are so...fleshy. posted a great example of what I mean above, check it out.

#53 Posted by Aegon (5846 posts) -

@Animasta: @Atlas:

Thanks for the recs. More please.

#54 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -
  • Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
  • Lambchop - Mr. M
  • Kishi Bashi - 151a
  • Aesop Rock - Skelethon
  • BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNG2
  • Beach House - Bloom
  • Death Grips - The Money Store
  • El-P - Cancer 4 Cure
  • Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
  • Julia Holter - Ekstasis
  • Melody's Echo Chamber - S/T
  • Oddisee - People Hear What They See
  • Shad - Melancholy and the Infinite Shadness

There were some other favorites but these have been the highlights so far.

#55 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (743 posts) -

Love the Volta talk!

Noctourniquet really hit me this year, I think it's a real return to form for Volta, but as others have said, nothing will beat Frances The Mute.

Shields - Grizzly Bear is up there for me

Channel Orange - Frank Ocean - fantastic R &B record...probably the best in years

Also enjoyed Swing Lo Magellan by Dirty Projectors, Bloom by beach house and Fragrant World by Yeasayer

#56 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@ThePickle Kishi Bashi 151a is awesome. I bought a tee and vinyl from his site and he sent me jolly ranchers and a hand written note with it. Super nice dude
#57 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

@Aegon said:

i'm kind of out of the loop as well, but a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio and recent stuff on youtube sounds like garbage. Just fucking noise.

Can someone recommend me something that obviously sounds good and has lots of energy/emotion, is technically impressive, melodically interesting, has a singer with a powerful voice that can do a lot of crazy stuff, and perhaps has a healthy dosage of funk/groove/soul. It doesn't have to include all of that, but I shall emphasize the part about the strong vocals.

Please recommend stuff!!!

Not all of these albums were released this year, but they were all fairly recent:

• Joanna Newsom - Ys (female vocals, folk, harp)
  • Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (R&B)
  • Bad Rabbits - Stick Up Kids (Funk)
  • Beck - Midnite Vultures (Alternative funk and soul)
  • Electric Six - Fire (punk disco)
  • Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine (female vocals, folk)
  • The Go! Team - Proof of Youth (high energy rock)
  • Gorillaz - Demon Days (alternative hip hop, highly produced)
  • Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid (pop, neo-soul)
  • LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening (dance punk)
  • The Roots - Things Fall Apart (neo-soul, rap)

Hope this stuff is to your liking.

#58 Posted by Gramiero (142 posts) -

1. THEESatisfaction - awE naturalE

2. Death Grips - The Money Store

3. Azealia Banks - FANTASEA

4. Anaïs Mitchell - Young Man in America

5. Bob Mould - Silver Age

#59 Posted by Cory_and_Trevor (28 posts) -

@SMTDante89: Agreed!

#60 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

Blunderbuss - Jack White

Periphery II: This Time It's Personal - Periphery (No, I'm not a scene kid; I just really enjoy the guitar work)

OFF! - OFF!

The Dethalbum III - Dethklok (it's not actually out yet, but I've heard enough tracks to confirm that this will be awesome)

RIITIIR - Enslaved

#61 Posted by falling_fast (2285 posts) -

Agalloch - Faustian Echoes

Alcest - Les Voyages de L'Âme

I haven't really listened to too many albums from this year, but these are both awesome.

#62 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Hot Chip - In Our Heads

Cat Power - Sun

Swans - The Seer

From what I've heard from the new Tame Impala album that will probably be one of my favorites as well.

#63 Posted by MonetaryDread (2181 posts) -

Murder By Death - Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon

Tame Impala - Lonerism

Avett Brothers - The Carpenter

Slugabed - Time Team

#64 Posted by Iodine (550 posts) -

My favorite albums this year

Cancer 4 Cure - El-P

R.A.P. Music - Killer Mike (El-P production)

This Generation - Murs&Fashawn

Mourning in America - Brother Ali

The Peoples Rapper - Jon Connor

Dream Deferred - Skyzoo

The Soundtrack for Man with the iron fists

#65 Posted by CatMeat (46 posts) -

Father Murphy - Anyway, your children will deny it

#66 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Channel Orange - Frank Ocean

Habits and Contradictions - SchoolboyQ

Shields - Grizzly Bear

#67 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Unlike the last time this question was asked, I have now listened to one album released this year. Metric - Synthetica. It's pretty good.

#68 Posted by HH (637 posts) -

Umskiptar by Burzum

Autotheism by The Faceless

those two i was anticipating and both turned out great. december is when i catch up on most new stuff by going through other people's top ten lists.

#69 Posted by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

I'm really liking No Kings by Doomtree.

#70 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4501 posts) -

I've really been liking The Killers' new album.

#71 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

The only 2012 albums I can remember listening to are Coexist by The XX and All Blackshirts to Me by Cats on Fire, so them I guess.

#72 Edited by sgjackson (529 posts) -

Roughly in order.

Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

Conan - Monnos

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata

Murder Construct - Results

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme

Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I

Sophicide - Perdition of the Sublime

Grave - Endless Procession of Souls

Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

Dawnbringer - Into the Lair of the Sun God

Kreator - Phantom Antichrist

Litrosis - I Am Death

The Contortionist - Intrinsic

Dodecahedron - Dodecahedron

#73 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3089 posts) -

Oh shit I didn't know Gojira came out with a new album. Awesome.

#74 Edited by Iron_Tool (228 posts) -

Simply Amazing!

#75 Posted by WolfHazard (495 posts) -

Best album this year? Hands down...

Every Time I Die - Ex Lives

It's pretty much the most perfect album since "Suburbia I've Given You All and Now I'm Nothing" last year. Close runners up...

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Hopes Die Last - Trust No One

Death Grips - No Love Deep Web

Foxy Shazam - The Church of Rock and Roll

I could probably get an extensive list together but thats what comes to mind. However Ex Lives may be the best album ever created, so that won't change.

#76 Posted by Slay3r1583 (642 posts) -

My top three albums from this year in order.

1. DragonForce - The Power WIthin
  2. Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky
  3. Eluveitie - Helvetios

The next album that I'm really looking forward to is Silverthorn from Kamelot but I read they have a new singer so it has me a little worried.

#77 Posted by EVO (3942 posts) -

I've had Grizzly Bear's new album pretty much on repeat since I first heard it a few days ago. Gonna listen to Tame Impala's new one tonight. That will probably be my favourite album of the year.

#78 Posted by Chet_Rippo (238 posts) -

@Atlas said:

@Aegon said:

i'm kind of out of the loop as well, but a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio and recent stuff on youtube sounds like garbage. Just fucking noise.

Can someone recommend me something that obviously sounds good and has lots of energy/emotion, is technically impressive, melodically interesting, has a singer with a powerful voice that can do a lot of crazy stuff, and perhaps has a healthy dosage of funk/groove/soul. It doesn't have to include all of that, but I shall emphasize the part about the strong vocals.

Please recommend stuff!!!

Based on your list, I could not recommend Violent Waves by Circa Survive enough. They're an experimental rock sort of semi-hardcore punk band from Philadelphia. These dudes are incredible musicians, and their singer has a very unique and very powerful voice - he sings high-pitched, might take a little getting used to.

Also although they went on hiatus last year, Thrice is essential listening if you technically proficient and soulful music. Vheissu is their best album IMO, but Beggars might be a better introduction to them. Their most recent album, Major/Minor, is basically them reinventing grunge in 2011; it's very good, but might not be for everybody.

@casperhertzog said:

if your into jazz christian scott put out a pretty rad record this year.

I love jazz but don't have many modern records in my collection. What's his style?

I agree with everything this man says.

#79 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

I may forget some that came out earlier this year but off the top of my head my favorites were Nas - Life Is Good and Killer Mike - R.A.P Music.

Some other good ones were Food and Liquor 2, Oddisee's Album, some Odd Future stuff, and it's a mixtape but Joey Badass - 1999.

Also looking forward to Kendrick Lamars album and Indicud if it's released this year.

#80 Posted by newfire (27 posts) -

My favorites, in no particular order

Break It Yourself - Andrew Bird (listened to this an unhealthy amount of times when it was first released)

Violent Waves - Circa Survive (not my favorite of theirs but damn good)

The Afterman: Ascension - Coheed and Cambria (just released and loving it so far)

The Idler Wheel... - Fiona Apple (admittedly have not heard every song on the album, but what I have heard is pretty freakin good)

Major/Minor - Thrice (released 2011 but by god I can't get enough of this album even still)

#81 Edited by KaneRobot (1857 posts) -

I've yet to hear anything that even comes close to touching Devin Townsend Project's Epicloud. If you throw in the second disc of unfinished demo stuff, the gap is even wider. Fucking ridiculously great.

@Napalm said:

1. Testament, Dark Roots Of Earth. This album is a piece of shit and these guys haven't done anything decent in like, eight years. Worst album of the year.

Well they've only done one other album in the last 8 years. Formation was good - not incredible, but several good tracks. Dark Roots was really disappointing though, for sure.

#82 Edited by StarFoxA (5165 posts) -

I've been enjoying these albums:

• Transitions by El Ten Eleven
  • 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! by Godspeed You! Black Emperor
  • Gossamer by Passion Pit
  • Coexist by The xx
  • 17 Days by George Barnett
  • Indie Game: The Movie Soundtrack by Jim Guthrie
  • Picture Show by Neon Trees

I'm still looking forward to a new Faded Paper Figures album and a new The Oh Hello's album, both of which are supposedly coming out soon!

Other than that, I can't think of much. Giant Bombers! Hit me up with some recommendations! I love listening to new music!

#83 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

I've yet to hear anything that even comes close to touching Devin Townsend Project's Epicloud. If you throw in the second disc of unfinished demo stuff, the gap is even wider. Fucking ridiculously great.

@Napalm said:

1. Testament, Dark Roots Of Earth. This album is a piece of shit and these guys haven't done anything decent in like, eight years. Worst album of the year.

Well they've only done one other album in the last 8 years. Formation was good - not incredible, but several good tracks. Dark Roots was really disappointing though, for sure.

The last Testament album I liked was The Gathering, and weirdly, I really love Practice What You Preach, The Ritual and Souls Of Black. 'Falling Fast' is a hell of a track.

#84 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

1. Some Nights - fun.

2. Handwritten - The Gaslight Anthem

3. The Church of Rock and Roll - Foxy Shazam

4. Wrecking Ball - Bruuuuuuuceeeee Springsteen

#85 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@guiseppe
Simply Amazing.
It really is incredible. And this thread reminded my that Dethkloks new album is out next week.
#86 Posted by phuzzybunny (173 posts) -

Handwritten - Gaslight Anthem

L' Enfant Sauvage - Gojira

S/T - OFF!

Self Entitled - NOFX

That's all I can think of right now but these four releases are great!

#87 Posted by eroticfishcake (7792 posts) -

Sifting through this list has made me realise that I've completely lost touch with the music industry considering that the only music I ever listen to now is purely from videogames or the occasional anime. Not sure how I should feel about that.

#88 Posted by BlastProcessing (923 posts) -

1. Death Grips - No Love Deep Web

2. EL-P - Cancer 4 Cure

3. Aesop Rock - Skelethon

4. Lil B - Gods Fathers

5. The xx- Coexist

#89 Posted by JJWeatherman (14573 posts) -

These.

#90 Edited by Nightriff (5366 posts) -

Fear Factory - The Industrialist is really the only album that I truly enjoyed.

Some other ones I liked (Testament's and Lamb of God's albums come to mind) but nothing stand out like Fear Factory's. Also have some albums I still need to listen too but so far been a sub par year for my music taste, here's to hoping that Apocalyptic Love is as good as Slash's last album

#91 Edited by Meltac (2009 posts) -

@benpicko said:

@Meltac said:

Well, so far these could be candidates.

Death Grips - The Money Store

Did you enjoy No Love Deep Web?

Yes, very much actually, but I still think that The Money Store is better, though I haven't listened to NLDW near as much as TMS. Both are incredible though.

@JonathanAshleyMoore said:

Killer Mike,

Yes, yes, yes! Totally forgot about his album!

#92 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
Yes it came out at the arse-end of 2011, but I don't give a shit, it's boss.
#93 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Also the new Deftones album 'KOI NO YOKAN' drops in November. Seriously can't wait for this, Diamond Eyes was fantastic.Two tracks ('Leathers' and 'Tempest') can be listened to right now at www.deftones.com

#94 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well so far only got one CD this year. it was halestorm strange case of...

in a few weeks a band stone sour is coming out with a cd. i am looking forward too. peeps who don't know who they are, it has corey taylor and james roots they're from slipknot, other members of nobody really.

#95 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@jonnyboy
Yes it came out at the arse-end of 2011, but I don't give a shit, it's boss.
It is pretty awesome. Stargasm being one of their best songs period.
#96 Posted by gunstar (254 posts) -

Tame Impala - Lonerism so far

#97 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Rush's Clockwork Angels is about the only new album I've listened to this year.

#98 Posted by Osaladin (2543 posts) -

Technically it came out in December of last year, but I didn't listen to it until this year.

The Roots - Undun

#99 Edited by MoonlightMoth (479 posts) -
#100 Posted by UlquioKani (1205 posts) -

For me it was Habits and Contraditions by Schoolboy Q. I also really like the new Sleigh Bells album and the new Killer Mike. Still have a bunch of albums that I need to catch up on though