#101 Posted by UtamiJogjaf1 (25 posts) -

i love this photo.so pure

#102 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Frank Ocean- Channel Orange
Death Grips- The Money Store
Death Grips- NO LOVE DEEP WEB
Devin Townsend Project- Epicloud
Chippy Nonstop- Money Dance 101 

Favourite overall will probably be Channel Orange though.

#103 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I haven't been up with new bands lately. I'm into bands like Radiohead, The Strokes, The White Stripes and Muse can anyone recommend me a new artist to listen to?

#104 Posted by Christoffer (1954 posts) -

Just realized I've been listening to a whole lot of old music this year. The Kinks, Canned Heat, Led Zeppelin, a bunch of James Brown and Motown.

But I guess Storm Corrosion, Rival Sons and Meshuggah had some of the more memorable albums this year, in my opinion. And I really liked the Dinosaur Jr album that came out not too long ago.

#105 Posted by david3cm (636 posts) -

I'm glad to see Frank Ocean on this list a lot, I also enjoyed that album immensely. Other than his though, I haven't really been listening to new music, more catching up on some older stuff, like Michael Jackson, Prince, Otis Redding and others.

#106 Posted by ShockD (2421 posts) -
Few people care about cyber metal but wth, this one was totally worth the wait.
#107 Posted by Moth_Pope (458 posts) -

Love that there are lots of Gojira mentions going on. That album is incredible. For me though, favourite album this year - by a long way - is Epicloud by Devin Townsend Project. I have all of Devin's stuff (from Strapping, to DTB, to Ziltoid) and I just love it. He's the only musician in the world who can get me listening to thrash metal and slow acoustic love songs and finding both sides perfect. Recommended!

#108 Edited by Master_Funk (744 posts) -

@Aegon said:

i'm kind of out of the loop as well, but a lot of the stuff I hear on the radio and recent stuff on youtube sounds like garbage. Just fucking noise.

Can someone recommend me something that obviously sounds good and has lots of energy/emotion, is technically impressive, melodically interesting, has a singer with a powerful voice that can do a lot of crazy stuff, and perhaps has a healthy dosage of funk/groove/soul. It doesn't have to include all of that, but I shall emphasize the part about the strong vocals.

Please recommend stuff!!!

Frank Ocean's Channel Orange is pretty awesome for that. Him and the Weeknd pretty much are modern Rnb for me at this point.

Pretty Damn Funky. And he has a great voice.

Jessie Ware is also a pretty good Rnb/soul album in the vein of a Sade.

My fave albums:

Channel orange- Frank Ocean

Lonerism - Tame Impala

New Godpseed Album

Total Loss - How to dress well

Killer Mike - R.A.P Music

Disappointed by the lack of good Hip Hop music this year. Cruel Summer sucked , but I have hope for Kendrick Lamar and Big Boi's new albums.

#109 Posted by A_Talking_Donkey (262 posts) -
#110 Posted by runnah555 (146 posts) -

Deamau5 - Album Title goes here

Speedwolf - Ride with death

Edward Sharpe and the magnetic zeros - Here

The Glitch Mob - We Can Make the World Stop EP

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising

Mumford & Sons - Babel

#111 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

@Indiana_Jenkins: I just discovered Com Truise, love em lol. They remind me a lot of old John Carpenter movie soundtracks.

#112 Posted by tread311 (359 posts) -

Jukebox the Ghost - Safe Travels and mewithoutYou - Ten Stories are probably my favorites this year. Freelance Whales just put out Diluvia which will probably be right up there but I need more time with it.

#113 Edited by cashbasket (69 posts) -

In alphabetical order:

1. Between the Buried and Me: - The Parallax II: Future Sequence
  2. Cannibal Corpse - Torture
  3. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
  4. The Chariot - One Wing
  5. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
  6. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
  7. Every Time I Die - Ex Lives
  8. The Faceless - Autotheism
  9. Fear Factory - The Industrialist
  10. Goatwhore - Blood for the Master
  11. Gorod - A Perfect Absolution
  12. High on FIre - De Vermis Mysteriis
  13. Marduk - Serpent Sermon
  14. Meshuggah - Koloss
  15. Napalm Death - Utilitarian
  16. Revocation - Teratogenesis EP
  17. Storm Corrosion - S/T
  18. Sybreed - God Is An Automaton
  19. Veil of Maya - Eclipse
  20. Vision of DIsorder - The Curse Remain Cursed

There are a few coming out later this year that would probably make this list, too (Behold... the Arctopus, Pig Destroyer, etc.)

#114 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior:

#115 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6312 posts) -

There's been some damn good music this year. Slaughterhouse's debut Shady LP and Green Day's Uno! are the first that come to mind.

#116 Posted by nerdsbeware (227 posts) -

Loving this album so much right now.

#117 Posted by thomasnash (601 posts) -

I'm having a hard time remembering what albums came out this year, but two I remember that I think are great albums were Laurel Halo - Quarantine and Mala - Mala in Cuba.

I can think of tons of albums I really need to listen to, but I lack any decent listening equipment since my cat chewed through my headphone cord...

#118 Posted by That1BlackGuy (216 posts) -

Slaughterhouse & DJ Drama- On The House (yeah it's a mixtape but it's better than the actual album IMO)

Lloyd Banks- Cold Corner 2 mixtape (I believe this came out in Jan, awesome stuff)

Nas- Life is Good (Not his best album, but loads better than a lot stuff I've heard at the mainstream level)

Linkin Park- Living Things (First LP album I've fully enjoyed in years)

POD- Murdered Love (I love everything POD does)

#119 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio

But to be fair, I've only listened to a handful of albums that actually came out this year. I've been more focused on digging into the past than ever this year.

#120 Posted by Meltac (2011 posts) -

@That1BlackGuy said:

Nas- Life is Good (Not his best album, but loads better than a lot stuff I've heard at the mainstream level)

I was really dissapointed with it. Once again, there were a lot of weird decisions, both when it came to the beats (surprise) and some of the features just felt really.. malplaced. I don't know, maybe I should just stop expecting a new Illmatic everytime he drops a new album. It's funny though, despite the many times I've been dissapointed with the stuff he's put out, he still stands as one my absolute favorite rappers.

#121 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Indiana_Jenkins said:

It's the best.

I second that, hard.

#122 Edited by That1BlackGuy (216 posts) -

@Meltac: Yeah I definitely agree with everything you said. Personally, If I had to rank the album it'd probably go somewhere in the middle-to-lower of his overall work. Nas set the bar really high with his early stuff (Stillmatic is my favorite) so it's hard to really knock him if he doesn't hit that level lol. Life is Good had a couple of standouts, but it was clear in some of the material that he was trying to hard and at times, the vibe of the album felt forced and jumbled. Overall, this'll definitely be one of Nas's more forgettable albums in the long run along with Untitled. When Nas wants to he can still get it done though (i.e. Distant Relatives), I'd argue that with anybody.

#123 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1231 posts) -

I think they topped Colors with this one

Come at me bro
#124 Posted by Jace (1097 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

#125 Posted by jlev880 (204 posts) -

@jonnyboy said:

Yes it came out at the arse-end of 2011, but I don't give a shit, it's boss.

YES!! Octopus Has No Friends is absolutely amazing.

#126 Posted by jlev880 (204 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

I think they topped Colors with this one

Come at me bro

I completely agree this gets better every time I listen to it, especially Silent Flight Parliment

#127 Edited by forkboy (1200 posts) -

If you're into black metal (specifically Burzum-loving black metal) then I can't recommend the new record from Ukrainians Drudkh highly enough. 'Eternal Turn of the Wheel' is a real return to form after a couple of records which really didn't do it for me. I just picked up the new Ihsahn album today but haven't given it a listen to yet. Monarch's Omens album is terrific if you are into droney doom stuff. The noises that the tiny wee singer Emilie can make are horrifying. In a good way. That's probably my #1 so far this year.

Actually, the rest of this month is looking pretty great from my perspective. New My Dying Bride came out today (HMV didn't have it though), new Pig Destroyer, Neurosis, Shining, Forgotten Tomb & Nadja all before November starts. And Cathedral's last record is due to drop before the end of the year.

As for stuff that's actually come out this year, I've failed to keep a list this year, which was a mistake. I know I've heard the newest Sigh record, which honestly disappointed me. Oh, Woods of Ypres put out their last ever album, posthumously unfortunately, in January. That was great. I've just looked on Wikipedia's 2012 in heavy metal page & fuck. I've just gotten to February & there's Alcest, Swallow The Sun, Goatwhore, Orange Goblin, Earth, & Corrosion of Conformity records to check out. And that's just metal from the first 2 months. Jeezo. I need not to fall behind on new shit.

#128 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Surprisingly, in a year with a new Beach House, Japandroids, Dirty Projectors, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, and Passion Pit, I've probably listened to Hop Along's Get Disowned more than anything.

Grizzly Bear's a close second, though. I've also really been digging the new Tame Impala record, and am quite excited for tomorrow's Mac DeMarco.

#129 Edited by 71Ranchero (2875 posts) -
#130 Posted by Mystyr_E (1224 posts) -

Stars - The North

here's awesome song from it

#131 Posted by Kraznor (1588 posts) -

@Indiana_Jenkins: Yes it is.

#132 Posted by ShaggE (6809 posts) -

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel..., Emilie Autumn - F.L.A.G, and Marilyn Manson - Born Villain.

#133 Posted by DanTheGamer32 (230 posts) -

@WolfHazard: I still need to get round to listening to Ex Lives.. :/

#134 Posted by ThePickle (4181 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I haven't been up with new bands lately. I'm into bands like Radiohead, The Strokes, The White Stripes and Muse can anyone recommend me a new artist to listen to?

A few to try out:

• The Dismemberment Plan
  • Marnie Stern
  • Beach House
  • TV on the Radio
  • Cults
  • Fang Island
  • Eels
  • Rilo Kiley
  • Murder By Death
  • Spiritualized
  • Starfucker

Sorry if this is a little overwhelming, but hey, ain't no crime for listening to too much music! (unless of course you're torrenting in which case it is in fact a crime)

#135 Posted by DanTheGamer32 (230 posts) -

I haven't really bought many brand new albums this year so I guess the ones I bought this year so far will suffice...?

1. Noctouniquet - The Mars Volta

2. The 2nd Law - Muse

3. The Pride - InMe

4. Coexist - The XX

5. Apocalyptic Love - Slash

6. Rize of the Fenix - Tenacious D

7. UNO! - Green Day (really not too sure what to think of this one. Any other Green Day fans out there with an opinion?)

#136 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1776 posts) -

@Red said:

Surprisingly, in a year with a new Beach House, Japandroids, Dirty Projectors, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, and Passion Pit, I've probably listened to Hop Along's Get Disowned more than anything.

Grizzly Bear's a close second, though. I've also really been digging the new Tame Impala record, and am quite excited for tomorrow's Mac DeMarco.

Get Disowned is so fucking good.

#137 Posted by sgjackson (529 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

This dude knows what's up.

#138 Posted by bananaz (262 posts) -

I'm really liking Kaleidoscope Dream by Miguel.

#139 Posted by Thevamp25 (237 posts) -

new Meshuggah album and gojira. i love all the gojira love on giantbomb. it makes me happy.

And the second vol of Eternal Life by I Come To Shanghai.

#140 Posted by captain_max707 (498 posts) -

Shrines- Purity Ring. Fantastic stuff.

#141 Posted by Grilledcheez (3973 posts) -

Death Grips - No Love Deep Web

#142 Posted by Animasta (14744 posts) -

@forkboy: a return to form? Like when specifically? my favorite album of theirs is Microcosmos btw

#143 Posted by Hamst3r (4610 posts) -

I'm not much of an album person, so I don't have a lot to pick from, but my favorite release this year was certainly:

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata.

It's a lot of fun to listen to as it jumps all over the place, taking you on a musical adventure. It's opera, then it's metal, then it's big band swing, then it's a Chinese folk song...overall sounding like a mash-up of Mr.Bungle, Muse and Nightwish.

It's a trip:

#144 Posted by benspyda (2054 posts) -
  • In Our Heads - Hot Chip
  • Oceania - Smashing Pumpkins
  • The 2nd Law - Muse
  • Information Retrieved - Pinback (Just released and its great!!)
  • Port Of Morrow - The Shins

Some great albums came out this year.

#145 Posted by forkboy (1200 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@forkboy: a return to form? Like when specifically? my favorite album of theirs is Microcosmos btw

I dunno, I mean Microcosmos & Handful of Stars are decent enough records, but I hold The Swan Road in the highest regard myself. Autumn Aurora & Blood in Our Wells are also terrific albums.

#146 Posted by WolfHazard (498 posts) -

@DanTheGamer32 said:

@WolfHazard: I still need to get round to listening to Ex Lives.. :/

Do yourself a favor and do it, it's a perfect album from beginning to end. Seriously go now, reply when you have i want to hear your thoughts!

#147 Posted by Animasta (14744 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@Animasta said:

I dunno, I mean Microcosmos & Handful of Stars are decent enough records, but I hold The Swan Road in the highest regard myself. Autumn Aurora & Blood in Our Wells are also terrific albums.

actually my favorite album by them is songs of Grief & Solitude but that's not really a convential album (I like em all, but ya know)

#148 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (927 posts) -

Fastfall (Dustforce Soundtrack) - Lifeformed

Celebration Rock - Japandriods

The Port of Morrow - The Shins

Happy to You - Miike Snow

No Love Deep Web - Death Grips

Visions - Grimes

Coexist - The XX

Astro - Astro

Valtari - Sugar Ros

Our Youth Part 1 & 2 - Urban Cone

> album title goes here < - Deadmau5

and just for fun....

Sleddin' Hill - August Burns Red

#149 Edited by ripelivejam (5155 posts) -

Walkmen- Heaven

Burial- Kindred

Fiona Apple- The Idler Wheel...

Menomena- MOMs

i'm sure there's more but it's either been a lackluster year or i haven't been as into new music as i usually am.

Channel Orange was OK but a little overrated...

also love how ive never heard of 90% of these bands/albums...

#150 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

A few to try out:

• The Dismemberment Plan
  • Marnie Stern
  • Beach House
  • TV on the Radio
  • Cults
  • Fang Island
  • Eels
  • Rilo Kiley
  • Murder By Death
  • Spiritualized
  • Starfucker

Sorry if this is a little overwhelming, but hey, ain't no crime for listening to too much music! (unless of course you're torrenting in which case it is in fact a crime)

Cheers ill check out those albums on Spotify.