#201 Edited by Animasta (14633 posts) -

oh yeah I listened to a couple of the more recommended albums on here. Channel Orange was pretty good (for a specific mood) but death grips is still just regular rap with all that entails (the misogyny specifically turns me off). Cool beats but eh.

also the new BTBAM was really boring to me I dunno, I loved colors (and alaska is good too) but I've never really liked anything they've done afterwards for some reason?

#202 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -

@Animasta: There is never not a proper moment for some frank ocean. Just turn it on and groove man groove. Its the only CD that I have to constantly sing along to EVERY time I play it. Although, It does one of the things that I consider one of my biggest pet peeves with CD's and that is they "hide" a track on the very last track after about two minutes of dead air. -__- HATE THAT SHIT.

#203 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Demoskinos: well for me it's not regular listening music, but it's great for relaxin.

#204 Posted by Quick_Stop_Chad (51 posts) -
#205 Edited by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -

Oh, I should add this....

#206 Posted by JazzyJeff (399 posts) -

Bob Dylan - Tempest

Avett Brothers - The Carpenter

Amanda Palmer - Theatre is Evil

Joel Plaskett - Scrappy Happiness

Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas

Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts

Brandi Carlile - Bear Creek

Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...

#207 Posted by Zella (689 posts) -

@EvilKatarn said:

@guiseppe said:

Simply Amazing.

This

Death Grips - NLDW has a few really good songs on it.

Sybreed's new thing is kind of disappointing.

Wintersun's new thing is kind of disappointing.

Devin Townsend's new thing is kind of disappointing.

What did you find disappointing about Time I? I've found it to be great, maybe Land of Snow and Sorrow could have been better but the rest of the album is awesome. I mean it's short yeah but part two comes out in a few months.

#208 Edited by granderojo (1778 posts) -

Great year so far.

#209 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

The Truth About Love. Can't really think of many other albums.

#210 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

Enter Shikari's Flash Flood Of Colour was released back in January and as far as i'm concerned it's the best album ever let alone best this year.

#211 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Now that it's out I'm going to add Dethalbum III to my list.

#212 Edited by shinboy630 (1130 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Now that it's out I'm going to add Dethalbum III to my list.

Agreed. Between that and Galaktikon, Brendon Small has had a pretty solid year, both from a music and awesome album cover perspective.

#213 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4882 posts) -

Meshuggah - Koloss

#214 Edited by Ben_H (3294 posts) -

Welp, the European release of the new Wintersun album, 'Time I', was yesterday (the NA release is next week. I preordered months ago and am going to their concert in December) and I couldn't wait so I downloaded it. 

There are no words to describe how amazing it is. Their first album was my album of the decade for the 2000s. This album is better than it in every way (I don't even see how that is possible but it just is).  The production of flawless. the songwriting is perfect. It strikes the perfect balance of heaviness and musicality. The synth parts of it are the best I've heard of anything, a huge amount of care was put into their mixing so you can hear every track perfectly. The use of a live choir in the second track is genius. I had chills the entire time I listened to it. That hasn't happened ever.

Put it this way, this album had 6 years of hype from me to live up to and it not only matched that hype, it surpassed it by a huge margin. 

It's not just the best metal album I've heard since the original, it is the best album I've ever heard period.  I usually listen to music while I work but I had to stop working while I listened to this because I felt like I would be missing details. I literally just sat there staring at a wall while I listened to it. Sure it is short (Time II comes out in spring once he finishes mixing it because there was too much content for one album and he didn't want to cut anything) but it is probably the best 40 minutes I've spent listening to music. I've already heard one song off the second album and I can say that it will be just as good (the live version gave me chills. I've never been impressed by live recordings). 

Well, time for listen #2. Already have chills again on the introductory track. 

Edit: Some sneaky snake has put it on Youtube. This song ties with the title track as the best song on the album: 

#215 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4247 posts) -

Chiddy Bang - Breakfast

#216 Posted by Molenator85 (217 posts) -

I haven't listened to hardly anything new this year, been to busy digging through early 90's west coast rap and Joe Jackson. Of new stuff I have managed to listen to Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music is the only album I have stuck with. Food and Liquor II fell a little flat for me, and good kid, mA.A.d city isn't out for four more days .

#217 Posted by RchrdJ28 (1 posts) -

1. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity

2. Billy Talent - Dead Silence

3. Murder Construct - Results

4. Baroness - Yellow and Green

5. Cannibal Corpse - Torture

#218 Edited by Karmum (11516 posts) -

Frank Ocean's Channel Orange, by far. I can't wait for The Weeknd's Trilogy next month, though. Sure it's going to be all of his mixtapes (THREE FUCKING CDS MAN) plus only a few extra songs, but I actually bought Frank Ocean's album instead of *downloading* it and will do the same for The Weeknd. Actually just preordered it about an hour ago. That isn't exactly a bad thing, all three of his mixtapes were solid pieces of work, and honestly all three could of had their own releases.

Technically, I can't really wait for his second album, which honestly I'll really consider his "first" original studio album. Regardless, Channel Orange was the bomb and Trilogy isn't going to disappoint me.

Other than Channel Orange, I don't know honestly. I haven't listened to many new albums this year other than Channel Orange, and eventually Trilogy. I want to listen to Animal Collective's new album, they're a favorite of mine, but I just don't know.

#219 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3095 posts) -

@Animasta said:

oh yeah I listened to a couple of the more recommended albums on here. Channel Orange was pretty good (for a specific mood) but death grips is still just regular rap with all that entails (the misogyny specifically turns me off). Cool beats but eh.

also the new BTBAM was really boring to me I dunno, I loved colors (and alaska is good too) but I've never really liked anything they've done afterwards for some reason?

That sucks to hear about the new BTBAM boring you, man. Maybe listen to it some more? It's a grower.

#220 Edited by Aegon (5377 posts) -

I don't understand all the love for death metal.

ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#221 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

@Karmum said:

Frank Ocean's Channel Orange, by far. I can't wait for The Weeknd's Trilogy next month, though. Sure it's going to be all of his mixtapes (THREE FUCKING CDS MAN) plus only a few extra songs, but I actually bought Frank Ocean's album instead of *downloading* it and will do the same for The Weeknd. Actually just preordered it about an hour ago. That isn't exactly a bad thing, all three of his mixtapes were solid pieces of work, and honestly all three could of had their own releases.

Technically, I can't really wait for his second album, which honestly I'll really consider his "first" original studio album. Regardless, Channel Orange was the bomb and Trilogy isn't going to disappoint me.

Other than Channel Orange, I don't know honestly. I haven't listened to many new albums this year other than Channel Orange, and eventually Trilogy. I want to listen to Animal Collective's new album, they're a favorite of mine, but I just don't know.

Man, I hope the Weeknd's next album won't focus so much on fucking and drugs like all the typical bullshit these days. He has a good voice and it sucks when I listen to his songs hopefully and hear things that could have more creative lyrics than "hey let's do some drugs and fuck cause we animals" and his songs need some more melody as well. I only like two of his songs, montreal and dirty diana, and one of those is a good, but inferior cover.

#222 Edited by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Aegon said:

ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

you could say this about any music good job

I don't understand all the love for rap

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

#223 Posted by WolfHazard (460 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Aegon said:

this

#224 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Om - Advaitic Songs

Gojira - L'enfant

Also:

Enabler - All Hail The Void

Martyrdod - Paranoia

Earth - Angels of Darkness II

Fontanelle - Vitamin F

The Secret - Agnus Dei

Pelican - Ataraxia

Dethklok - Dethalbum III

Dysrythmia - Test of Submission

Astra - The Black Chord

GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR - ALLEHLUJAHDONTBENDASCEND

Locrian and Mammifer - Bless Them

Old Man Gloom - NO

Krallice - Years Past Matter

Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell - Don't hear it....Fear it!

EL-P- Cancer4cure

Wolfbrigade - Damned

Propagandhi - Failed States

High on Fire - De Vermiis Mysteris

Acephalix - Deathless Master

Nuclear Death Terror - Chaos Reigns

Oiltanker - Shadow of Greed

Eagle Twin - Feather Tipped the Serpent's Scale

Horseback - Halfblood

Mars Volta - Nocturniquet

Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65

Witchsorrow - God Curse Us

Baroness - Yellow/Green

The Howling Wind - Of Babylon

Odz Manouk

Murder Construct - Results

Downfall Of Gaia - Suffocating in the Swarm

Samothrace - Reverence to Stone

Storm Corrosion

Burning Love - Rotten thing

Serpentine Path

Black Breath - Sentenced to Life

Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction

Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet

Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

Can't think of anything else...

#225 Posted by Aegon (5377 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

@Animasta said:

@Aegon said:

this

I'm not a huge fan of rap either. Sometimes it's done well in a weird melodic, catchy rhythm and smart rhyming type of way. Like some of eminem's songs, but I'm mostly not into the genre. So either way.

GIVE ME THE MELODY.

#226 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

Continued:

Ash Borer - Cold of Ages

Evoken - Atra Mors

Menace Ruine - Alight in Ashes

Indesinence - Vessels of Light

Yakuza - Beyul

Aldebaran - Embracing

Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

NEUROSIS - HONOR FOUND IN DECAY, FUCK YES.

Bison B.C. - Lovelessness

Lantlos - Agape

Winterfylleth - Threnody

#227 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (526 posts) -

I've picked up very little new music this year, unfortunately.

Matthew Perryman Jones' Land of the Living, Meshuggah's Koloss and David Crowder Band's Give Us Rest Or (A Requiem Mass in C [The Happiest of All Keys] are my favorites thus far.

#228 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@Milkman: The appeal of the Dirty Projectors leaves me dumbfounded, no offense.

#229 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Grimmrobe: was angels of darkness 2 any different than 1? I only liked old black on that album.

I also totally forgot that pelican released an album this year too, and I haven't listened yet

#230 Posted by Lava (660 posts) -

In no particular order...

Some Nights - Fun.

Babel - Mumford & Sons

The Journey Soundtrack - Austin Wintory

#231 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@Animasta: It's a much quieter, foreboding album. And it's way fucking better.

Also, yes, the new pelican EP is orgasm-inducing. Please buy it.

#232 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

Mammifer is so cool. And I had no idea The Secret were releasing a new album.

#233 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse: This tuesday. : D

Also, Locrian/Pyramids split coming. *drool*

#234 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Babel - Mumford & Sons

A Flash Flood of Color - Enter Shikari

One Wing - The Chariot

The Parallax II Future Sequence - Between the Buried and Me

Dead Silence - Billy Talent

All We Love We Leave Behind - Converge

Album Title Goes Here - Deadmau5

Probably the new Pig Destroyer will be on this list, but I haven't listened to it yet.

#235 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -
@Aegon

I'm going to assume you've never listened to the masterpiece that is Crack the Skye by Mastodon.
#236 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Aegon

I'm going to assume you've never listened to the masterpiece that is Crack the Skye by Mastodon.

fuck mastodon

if you want examples of how growling can be utilized to affect the music, Isis is way better (love wavering radiant so much unf)

also @Grimmrobe: is making me sad because there hasn't been a sunn o))) release since monoliths and dimensions

#237 Posted by yesac2004 (112 posts) -
#238 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

Celebration Rock- Japandroids

Frimley- Hold Your Horse Is

What else came out this year?

#239 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@Animasta said:

fuck mastodon

FUCKING. HERESY.

Did you get the OO Void reissue?

:

#240 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

I dunno for some reason I really don't like mastodon vOv. I don't like the singer (which is hardly growling anyway so I dunno why he mentioned it)

and nope, didn't realize it was reissued (actually I don't think I ever listened to it)

#241 Posted by Deusx (1902 posts) -

@Grimmrobe: So you basically think every album that comes out is a masterpiece? I've seen most metal releases named in your posts. Don't get me wrong you listen to some good fucking music but I won't go as far as to say all of those deserve a spot on album of the year lists. That said, this has been a great year for metal. One of the best I've ever seen.

@Animasta: Hey man, Mastodon are fucking awesome. Say what you will about them being mainstream and whatever but that last album was glorious and one of the best metal albums I've heard in my life.

I've already mentioned them but here is my list:

1. Enslaved - RIITIIR

2. Woods of Ypres - V

3. Gojira - L'enfant Sauvage

4. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

5. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

6. Neurosis - Honor found in Decay

7. Anaal Nathrahk - Vanitas

8. Death Grips - The Money Store (Haven't heard No love deep web)

9. Windmills - As Above- So Below

10. Baroness - Yellow & Green (2012)

#242 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -
@Animasta

I dunno for some reason I really don't like mastodon vOv. I don't like the singer (which is hardly growling anyway so I dunno why he mentioned it)

and nope, didn't realize it was reissued (actually I don't think I ever listened to it)

I mentioned them and that album specifically because it uses very little death growl. No need to be hostile. I was giving him an example of a metal album that rarely growls.
#243 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@Deusx: Wait, what? When did I proclaim that?

Well, anyway, Rage Against the Machine is reissuing their first album in Nov. Boing.

#244 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -

Its bizarre how much my music tastes have changed in the last 5 years or so. I can't stand metal anymore at all. And I say this as I have sitting on my shelf pretty much every Cradle of Filth album. Now I'm all about Kanye and Lady Gaga fuck... I was even listening to Hillary Duff albums on spotify the other day. I mostly blame that on the fact that there are Hillary Duff songs in DOAX2 and I've played way way to much of that game.

#245 Posted by Deusx (1902 posts) -

@Grimmrobe said:

@Deusx: Wait, what? When did I proclaim that?

Well, anyway, Rage Against the Machine is reissuing their first album in Nov. Boing.

I thought that was your "Best of the year" list. My bad.

#246 Edited by iizcallum (606 posts) -

Menomena's Moms is pretty high on my list, so so good. Also:

Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

Schoolboy Q - Habits and Contradictions

Sharon Van Etten - Tramp

Liars - WIXIW

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

Death Grips - The Money Store

Matthew Dear - Beams

Tall Ships - Everything Touching

How To Dress Well - Total Loss

Chromatics - Kill For Love

POLICA - Give You The Ghost

#247 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

The lack of love for Christian Mistress's Possession among most you metal heads is making me really disappointed in you all.

#248 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

@thabigred: Christian Mistress is garbage compared to other female fronted bands.

I.E. Blood Ceremony, Royal Thunder and Crucified Barbara.

#249 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Deusx: I like plenty of mainstream shit, that's not the problem, I just don't like Mastodon.

@MariachiMacabre: I wasn't being hostile, he was specifically asking about death metal (inc. growling).

#250 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@Grimmrobe: @Grimmrobe said:

@thabigred: Christian Mistress is garbage compared to other female fronted bands.

I.E. Blood Ceremony, Royal Thunder and Crucified Barbara.

I probably like Christian Mistress for the very reasons you hate them. They've also reviewed well among non metal heads so there's that.