Favorite Classic Rock Band?

• 80 results
edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Classic Rock should not even be a genre. For me it isn't. Even if it were calling Metallica classic rock is just nonsense.

ungratefuldead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By ungratefuldead

@believer258: Rush debatebly counts. It's easy to see how stuff like Working Man or 2112 is Classic Rock, but then when you bring things like Tom Sawyer or Spirit of Radio into the picture, it gets a little more complicated.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Semantics...

AC/DC, if you don't count the Bon Scott era stuff from the 70's as classic rock then you make me a very sad person. Though I usually listen to their 80's stuff as well. Sometimes people describe them as blues rock or hard rock but they identify their music as simple rock n roll.

I like Metallica as much as the next guy (probably more than the average next guy, actually), but that is definitely metal, not rock.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By edsone
@ungratefuldead said:

@believer258: Rush debatebly counts. It's easy to see how stuff like Working Man or 2112 is Classic Rock, but then when you bring things like Tom Sawyer or Spirit of Radio into the picture, it gets a little more complicated.

Rush genre is Hard Rock or Prorgessive Rock depending on the period of their career. Started as hard rock, went all progressive then started going back to hard rock (with some progressive elements every now and then). Also, definitely not progressive metal even though they were a huge influence to bands such as Dream Theater.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Classic rock is usually anything that was produced before the birth of the person judging whether something is classic or not. Don't try and fight it, it's futile. Just give in.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By OldGuy

Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Mothers, The Stooges, Talking Heads, The Ramones, X, The Clash, Elvis Costello, XTC...

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By edsone

but, but Led Zeppelin are hard-rock. The Ramones are punk-rock. Cream are blues-rock. The Mother (of invention I presume) are progressive/psychodelic rock. Chuck Berry is rock n' roll. Talking Heads are new wave/post-punk. I won't even explain the rest. I'll follow @pyromagnestir's advice and just give up really :/

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Steve Miller Band, The Cars, Scorpions, ZZ Top, Aerosmith (70s/80s), Beach Boys, Primus (?)

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There isn't a lot of classic rock I enjoy listening to. However, I've always enjoyed Donovan and Steppenwolf. I'll even admit to enjoying some good old Motown.

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Close thread.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

The Band.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ungratefuldead: I see, I'm sorry. I'll stay out of the nose picking genre talk, I thought thread was more about the bands and music. My sincerest apologies.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was going to say none, but I like Pink Floyd a good bit. Led Zeppelin isn't bad either.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was going to say none, but I like Pink Floyd a good bit. Led Zeppelin isn't bad either.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Gwar.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Probably Rock Band 2.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ezekiel

The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. Two of the only bands whose core discographies I listen to in their entirety. My favorite of their albums are Abbey Road and Physical Graffiti.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Since this thread has turned into a semantics argument over the term "classic rock," I will throw in my two cents.

Classic rock is any rock music that is old enough to make people in their mid-thirties feel nostalgic about their youth. Though the number is fluid, a good rule of thumb is that it will be around twenty years old. So under that definition, Nirvana is now considered classic rock.

Now you can get into another semantic argument about what defines rock, but my personal opinion is that Metallica has always been more hard-rock than metal. Sure, some of their older songs had some speed to them, but how can anyone listen to a song like "Enter Sandman," or "Unforgiven," and think that is metal. Those are heavily produced rock songs just like Guns N Roses, or Bon Jovi.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does Toto fit? If not, probably King Crimson.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#72  Edited By UncleDisco

The Who and Queen are probably the big ones for me.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#73  Edited By MormonWarrior

Steely Dan. The Doobie Brothers and Supertramp are close follow-ups.

@nekroskop Wait really? For me Queen's only consistently great albums are their fourth and fifth ones (Night at the Opera/Day at the Races) though there's good songs on most of them.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread reminds me of the one time I heard a classic rock station play Strawberry Fields Forever and Pour Some Sugar On Me back-to-back, and I decided to never listen to the radio ever again.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

The Who, maybe Van Morrison?

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Classic rock is cool and all... but get a load of THIS SHIT!

Loading Video...
BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BrunoTheThird

The closest I have gotten to that genre is Black Sabbath . . . and that isn't very close. Queen rock though, cheese and all.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This is a tricky one but I think I have to go with Queen, they did some amazing things. On the whole "What is classic rock?" argument, I think we're once again running into the fact that genre classifications get a little vague at a point, but I will say that I don't think you can simply define the genre as "Rock from x number of decades ago" or "Rock released from the 60s to 80s". If you're going to classify something as classic rock you need to pay attention to how the music sounds and was put together, not just the timeframe it was released in.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By captain_clayman

@whamola said:
Loading Video...

Close thread.

Fucking yes. Thin Lizzy might not be the best band of all the time, but when i think of "classic" rock, nothing is more classic than Thin Lizzy. They encapsulate everything awesome about classic rock. Such an awesome sound.

jasbir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slade

Bon Jovi

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Dire Straits counts then them, otherwise, not really my area. Queen's pretty cool, I suppose? It's fun to play on trombone at least.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it has been long enough for Nirvana to be considered 'Classic Rock', I will go with them.