• 92 results
#1 Posted by ARProductions_HMG (25 posts) -

Some of mine are: Jim Norton, Sam Kinison, Jim Florentine, George Carlin, Ron White, Jeff Dunham, Ralphie May, Bill Hicks, and a few others.

Who are some of your favorite comedians?

#2 Posted by Cheesebob (1236 posts) -

Dara O'brien

#3 Posted by Phantom (182 posts) -

Louis CK, Shaun Michallef and Adam Carolla.

#4 Posted by ajamafalous (12001 posts) -

Norm MacDonald. I'd embed the moth joke but it's been taken down from youtube by NBC.

#5 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -

@ARProductions_HMG said:

Some of mine are: Jim Norton, Sam Kinison, Jim Florentine, George Carlin, Ron White, Jeff Dunham, Ralphie May, Bill Hicks, and a few others.

Who are some of your favorite comedians?

#6 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Joe Rogan is the man.

#7 Edited by Winternet (8019 posts) -

Ricky Gervais. And Larry David.

#8 Edited by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

Louis C.K., Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Lewis Black, Patton Oswalt, Eddie Murphy(hasn't done anything funny for a while but he's still one of my favorites), Ricky Gervais(not a fan of his shows but his stand ups are really funny)

#9 Posted by Ferros (220 posts) -

Paul F. Tompkins, Greg Proops, Doug Benson, Anthony Jeselnik, Maria Bamford. The majority of whom (Especially Tompkins) do some of their best work on podcasts for free.

#10 Posted by bushpusherr (787 posts) -

Mitch Hedberg can't be touched.

Other than him, Demetri Martin, Bill Hicks, Jimmy Carr

#11 Posted by Jaytow (694 posts) -

Steve Coogan.

#12 Posted by chrissedoff (2109 posts) -

Norm MacDonald

#13 Posted by ARProductions_HMG (25 posts) -

Some good mentions there. I forgot about Louis CK, Lewis Black, Mitch Hedberg, and Lewis Black.

#14 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@chrissedoff: I liked the part about hearts.

#15 Posted by Fishstick (156 posts) -

Paul F. Tompkins, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg.

#16 Posted by mosespippy (4189 posts) -

I thought this thread was named Favorite Canadians. I think that would be a better topic.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

everyone who was on whose line is it anyway, with the exception of Wayne; I like him but he's just not as funny as the others.

#18 Posted by mordukai (7151 posts) -

@VinceNotVance said:

Always and forever Mitch Hedberg.

I was only ever bummed out by two deaths in the standup world. one being Mitch Hedberg and the other being Gregg Giraldo.

Aside from that I fucking love Lewis Black and Eddie Izzard. Eddie's Stripped dvd had me in tears. I also dig Ricky Gervais but he hasn't don't a one man show in a while now.

This one of my favorite bit from Lewis Black. Anyone on these boards that's from Wisconsin will tell you that he's right on the money.

#19 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

There's nothing that can compare to the brilliance that is Woddy Allen's stand-up in the 60s and early 70s.

#20 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Some great comedians have already been mentioned so I'll just some of my favorites that weren't listed: Todd Barry, Todd Glass, Tig Notaro, Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari, Bob Newhart, Eugene Mirman.

#21 Posted by VoshiNova (1691 posts) -

@chrissedoff: Dude you just sent me down the longest Norm Macdonald hole ever, dude is hilarious

#22 Posted by EuanDewar (4942 posts) -

Many but mainly Stewart Lee

#23 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

George Carlin and Mitch Hedberg.

#24 Posted by rawrsair (821 posts) -

This may be old school, but Morecambe and Wise will always remain my firm favourites. They were/are legends.

#25 Posted by Milkman (16806 posts) -

If they've been on Comedy Bang Bang, they're probably cool with me.

#26 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I thought this thread was named Favorite Canadians. I think that would be a better topic.

I think it might be a shorter topic too.

#27 Posted by Kidavenger (3557 posts) -

@eugenesaxe said:

@mosespippy said:

You'd be surprised.

#28 Edited by Franstone (1121 posts) -

Bill Burr

Hands down the most funny comedian.

Check em out.

#29 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

Louis CK, Demetri Martin, Colin Mochrie, Dan Cummings and Daniel Tosh

#30 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Bill Hicks and Louis C.K. are the only two funny people with the official "title" I gues of comedian that I actively seek out.

#31 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Patrice O'Neal, Norm Macdonald, Chris Rock, Patton Oswalt, Louis CK. In that order.

#32 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

I notice favourite comic tends to be related to where people are from more than, for example, favourite band. Americans reel off a list of names that just means almost nothing to me, & I'm sure Americans feel the same with some of the names that we Brits like.

That fascinating piece of social commentary aside, I think my absolute favourite stand-up would be the aforementioned Stewart Lee, his stuff is just witty, intelligent, & a bit different. Well, was different, apparently his stuff is being mined by younger comedians now, his delivery style & so on, which is a shame. Other than Stew, his ex-comedy partner Richard Herring is worth a mention, the Hitler Moustache show is worth picking up on DVD. I'm quite keen on Rich Hall (his Otis Lee Crenshaw country singer is terrific fun), & another American comic I have to give props to would be Bisbee, Arizona's own Doug Stanhope. He just doesn't give a fuck & has no shame. It leads to fantastic rants on religion, politics (you don't have to agree with his libertarian views to find him funny, I certainly don't), abortion & honestly, my words can't do him justice so here's a clip that will be absolutely NSFW

There may not be a more important stand-up in the world today than Stanhope.

#33 Posted by CarpetRemnant (375 posts) -

@EuanDewar: He's mine.

#34 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Eddie Izzard and David Mitchell

#35 Posted by CommonReason (109 posts) -

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Doug Stanhope, and Louis C.K.

There are a lot of good comedians, but these will likely stick with me for a long time. They stand out and in large ways, seem to define a lot of the material newer performers have that I've seen recently.

#36 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

Norm McDonald, Lewis Black, Doug Stanhope, Mitch Hedberg (RIP), Jeff Ross, Jim Breuer, Dave Attell

and from the Dutch guys: Hans Sibbell, Theo Maassen, Bert Visscher, Hans Teeuwen, Herman Finkers

#37 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Eddie Murphy(Delirious and Raw version), Patrice O'Neal, Dave Chappelle, Louis CK, Jim Norton, Jim Jefferies and Bill Burr.

#38 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Adam Carolla.

#39 Edited by ProfessorEss (7378 posts) -

@VinceNotVance said:

Always and forever Mitch Hedberg.

Amen brother.

"Cheese grater. That's a pretty optimistic name. A more pessimistic name would be sponge ruiner."

#40 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Wow, Norm Macdonad is getting a lot of love. I didn't expect that. He's fucking awesome.

#41 Posted by Space_Sandwich (108 posts) -

Hands down, it's gotta be Patrice O'Neal (RIP). In terms of currently living comedians though, I guess Louis C.K., Bill Burr or Dave Chappelle.

#42 Posted by iWonder (454 posts) -

Dave Chapelle, George Carlin, Louis CK, Bill Hicks

#43 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Aziz Ansari. His standup is great.

#44 Edited by bartok (2482 posts) -

Just watched Jim Jefferies HBO and Showtime specials.  That 20+ minute story Jim tells on his Showtime Special about taking his handicapped friend to a brothel is one of the funniest  bits I have ever heard.

Also love Patton Oswalt,  Mike Birbiglia, Dave Attell, and Maria Bamford.

#45 Posted by mosespippy (4189 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@eugenesaxe said:

@mosespippy said:

You'd be surprised.

It sure didn't take long for the Favourite Canadians topic to get longer than this one.

#46 Edited by Kohe321 (3529 posts) -

Bill Burr, Joe rogan, bill hicks, eddie murphy, richard pryor

#47 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

Because nobody else has mentioned him: Dylan Moran

#48 Posted by SomeJerk (3252 posts) -

That guy who pushed the cart on Just Shoot Me is my fave living active standup guy, and Zach Galafinakis got me into learning piano

#49 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

@mosespippy: Indeed, and some of the people mentioned in that list I've even heard of (I forgot Canadia gave us The Shat). Sadly, that thread lost all credibility once a pic of Nickelback showed up...But yeah, I tease Canadia because I love. How can you not like the country that gave us Kids in the Hall and SCTV?

#50 Posted by MocBucket62 (1231 posts) -

George Carlin, Dave Chappelle, Rodney Dangerfield and Paul Mooney.