Favorite song(s) that you discovered through a commercial or ad?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

Everyone is familiar with this concept: Almost every song featured in an Apple commercial of ANY sort will break into the Billboard top twenty a few days within the ad airing. Sometimes these companies pick really obscure songs, other times they're way more obvious.

Damn-near hypnotic, "Sleeping Lessons"  was featured in a Zune commercial in 2006 (or 07, can't remember) and I instantly ran to the computer looking up 1. Who the band was, and 2. What the fucking name of that song was. So many artists who were Indie as hell are gaining exposure through ads/commericals, and I think it's great for those artists. Recently, Matt & Kim's "Daylight"  was featured in a Bacardi commercial that propelled the single into both the Amazon and Itunes top 100 downloaded songs. Another former Indie artist, Feist, was featured in an old Ipod Nano commercial with her song "1234". A week later, the song, and her album, were in the top 10 of the respective album and single charts. Granted, this formula doesn't always expose me to stuff that I don't already know about, but I probably would have taken a lot longer to find out about Feist and Grizzly Bear had I not seen that Nano commercial a few years back.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

Everyone is familiar with this concept: Almost every song featured in an Apple commercial of ANY sort will break into the Billboard top twenty a few days within the ad airing. Sometimes these companies pick really obscure songs, other times they're way more obvious.

Damn-near hypnotic, "Sleeping Lessons"  was featured in a Zune commercial in 2006 (or 07, can't remember) and I instantly ran to the computer looking up 1. Who the band was, and 2. What the fucking name of that song was. So many artists who were Indie as hell are gaining exposure through ads/commericals, and I think it's great for those artists. Recently, Matt & Kim's "Daylight"  was featured in a Bacardi commercial that propelled the single into both the Amazon and Itunes top 100 downloaded songs. Another former Indie artist, Feist, was featured in an old Ipod Nano commercial with her song "1234". A week later, the song, and her album, were in the top 10 of the respective album and single charts. Granted, this formula doesn't always expose me to stuff that I don't already know about, but I probably would have taken a lot longer to find out about Feist and Grizzly Bear had I not seen that Nano commercial a few years back.
Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlastProcessing

Saw it on a Aramani commercial with Josh Hartnett.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Cat Power has done a couple of 30 second covers that I really wish she would release a full version of:

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bruce
@Chaser324:

I actually know who they are! Man, that's ironic.
Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Civraz

"Dear Hearts and Gentle People" by Crosby and the Bob Cats from the Fallout 3 commercial. I love that song, and most of the music from the game.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bruce
@Chaser324:

Whoops, got it confused with CatPeople. I do know of CatPower though.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Illmatic

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By C2C

"Slam" by Pendulum from the original Motorstorm demo. 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By c1337us

Thats never happened to me. But I usuallu dont see a lot of commercials. Thats a pretty interesting link with the apple commercials and the success of the song on the charts, I never really thought about it. It makes sense that it would happen but I wouldnt have guessed it would work that well.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bruce
@c1337us:

An Israeli folk artist named Yael Naim (I think that's how it's spelled) had a song titled "New Soul" featured as a twenty second snippet in the first commercial for the Mac Book Air. The following week, that song was #9 on the Billboard hot 100 and pop 100.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By iamjohn
@Illmatic said:
"
Weird sumo commercial"
What the hell?  I'm, like, the biggest Electric Six fan on the planet; how did I not know this commercial existed?

Anyway, I can't find the commercial, but this song was in a car commercial.  And this song is awesome:

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ineedaname

From an alcohol advert, drink awareness I think.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By c1337us
@Bruce: ha ha awesome. Like I said before I dont see a lot of commercials and stuff because I dont watch TV all that much. When I do it usually the sports channels lol. So I am completely oblivious to it all. Until now I guess.
mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikeeegeee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhLRxui7vXU

from the Miller Chill commercial. Great song, great band
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Blur-Song 2

Cant remember which commercial though.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane

"Daylight" by Matt and Kim

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bruce
@CitizenKane:

I looooooooooooove Matt & Kim. Passed up on a free concert of theirs in the city last week; I am a fucking twat for doing so.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By penguindust

This song was used in an ad campaign for the Publix Supermarket chains about 5-10 years ago and I fell in love with it.  It's been used a lot in other ads but that was the first time that the song really clicked in my head.