DS9

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By fattony12000

The high points of TNG are fucking baller as shit. Bear in mind that even some of the early stuff like 'The Measure of a Man' only came in the second season.

DS9 is fo sure a strong series though, I can respect the move to a space station and exploration of themes without much of the...exploration...that Star Trek had before. It's just hard to beat out characters like Data and Riker and La Forge and Picard.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@triviaman09 said:

TNG is of course a classic, with a lot of great episodes but also quite a few hammy and unwatchable ones. I feel like people generally put on their rosiest of colored glasses when talking about TNG.

I watched all 7 seasons of TNG for the first time in the last year. It was incredible. And then DS9 broke me of my newfound Star Trek fandom.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By kalmis

Have to say TNG. Really would love to watch those again soon.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By happenstance

TNG > DS9 > VOY > ENT > TOS

Thats not to say TOS is terrible in anyway, I used to love it when I was younger and its what got me into Star Trek, I just find it a lot harder to watch these days.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By monkeyking1969

I have to admit the TNG is very good, but I really feel DS9 was often the series that took the most chances with the Star Trek "canon". Deep Space 9 was the first ST series to just out say, "The Federation has corruption, it has non-democratic & racist elements, and it is more about politics then doing right. The series was about politics, bigotry, religious fundamentalism, and war. Seeing DS9 post 9/11, post second war in the Middle East, and post partisan US politics makes the stories even more interesting. If Paramount Television had created this series now, people would say it was “too on the nose” about the current world.

The biggest problem with Enterprise was the Trek legacy was stifled the exploration of issues we face today. Roddenberry wrote himself and then other writers into a corner by make his universe so vehemently opposed to generic engineering, anti-robotics, and racial distinction...i.e. separate but equal human races. Most futurists predictions say we will use generic engineering to improve ourselves far more safely then what we attempt to do now with surgery, steroids, and drugs. The only way forward isn't to say Homo Sapien Superior will be Khan, but rather that new species of man would be Kirk. And, we will have robots and androids as a brother/sister species who we will mix freely with not fight against like Borg. Moreover, all human cultures with their variety of skin colors, epicanthic eye differences hair types, etc will blend more together as we inter-marry. The Kirk born in Iowa would probably have a Latino/Asian look to him if we were to postulate what Humans in 2233 (220 years from now) would look like.

The whole reason for the movies "re-booting" by destroying the universe was because our current technology had caught up with Treks antiquated view of what technology and humanity could be, with the exception of warp and transporters we already were ahead of Roddenberry's curve...we'd even passed 'his timeline' for human Armageddon by a few years.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#57  Edited By fox01313

TNG & original are still my favorites, haven't seen enough of enterprise & voyager to give much advice on it. As for DS9 it takes a bit of a slow time to get going but it's rather interesting for the characters & a different take on the series with everyone on a station as opposed to a ship. If you want to get into DS9 I'd suggest going through netflix & watching it there then go back to pick up the better episodes you like (the late episode of their take on the 'Trouble with Tribbles' is still amazing work they did with mixing time travel with some of the DS9 crew).

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#58  Edited By Kidavenger

I'm not a big fan of any of them, I think they are all fine but TNG is the best. DS9 would be my least favorite; seems like you pretty much have to watch it all at once in order to get what is going on and missing that all the characters come off as dicks just trying to screw each other over.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By psylah

tng

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really ought to get back into DS9. I watched tons of it for the first few seasons, then I just kinda fell off, no fault of the show itself.

I remember it being pretty damn good though.