Favorite Sushi/Maki Rolls

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

This is a subject that is clearly not for everyone, but for those who really enjoy sushi, what in your mind is the best sushi or sushi rolls (maki) you've had? Are there any special rolls you get from local Japanese restaurants that you absolutely love?

To start I'll list the usual rolls that I'm love: Spicy Tuna (generally a shoe in to order), Spicy Crab, Tuna Avocado, Shrimp Avocado, Salmon Avocado, Alaskan (Like a California Roll but the Imitation Crab is replaced with Salmon) and Shrimp Tempura rolls. In some sushi places I've been to, the Shrimp Tempura roll could be a Mexican roll, which has avocado, cucumber and masago sauce with the tempura fried shrimp. Don't really see how that replicates Mexican food, but its tasty. Some places have a jalapeño to make it spicy. Around where I live there's one roll called the Tampa roll which usually has either tempura white fish or fried grouper with avocado and eel sauce together and that can be pretty great!

In terms of speciality rolls, there are two that come to mind. One was from a Connecticut based Japanese Restaurant named the Dinosaur Roll, which has spicy crab, avocado and tempura flakes on the inside and lobster salad and thinly sliced lemon on top to add some zest to the roll. The other is the Amazing Tuna roll which has Shrimp Tempura and Cream Cheese on the inside and Tuna, Spicy Tuna and Spicy Mayo Sauce on the outside. Both rolls are winners!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Lots of sake.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My favorite is probably a zig zag hand roll. I don't know if that's a thing outside of my area, but it's basically DFSSC, avocado, masago, onion mixed into a spicy blend and rolled with sushi rice inside a handroll wrap. I could them until I'm violently ill. I know people like it, but I don't care for cream cheese and most kind of creamy sauces you find in Americanized sushi joints.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Gotta give it up for the Spicy Tuna!

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By citizencoffeecake

Spider Roll, it's like fried soft shell crab or something.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sushi joint here in bentonville Arkansas (which I'm told is the best sushi makes Sams rolls named after Sam Walton. Pretty good. Deep fried. But other than that basically anything with spicy tuna

DasBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever I determine to be the weirdest thing on the menu that day.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually get salmon or tuna nigiri.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Straight sashimi (no rice): slightly seared bluefin ootoro. Every seafood lover should try this at least once. I'm not even a huge seafood fan and I absolutely love it. Only downside is the price.

I don't really have a favourite nigirizushi, but if I had to choose: Anago or unagi.

Temaki (hand roll): Gonna cheat here and pick foie gras. Put a little bit of apple in there and you're good to go.

And inarizushi will always hold a special place in my heart.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By DharmaBum

Sweet potato tempura.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favourite, haven't named it:

Habanero

Coriander

Salmon

Shrimp

Wasabi

Lime

Avocado

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'd say tuna, but it's hard to know where you can reliably get sustainable tuna these days. So maybe salmon, or whatever the local good fish is.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

give me spicy tuna and sweet potato tempura wrapped in avocado any day of the week.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uhtaree

I've developed this tuna aversion over the last couple years over all the negatives you hear about it so I've moved away from rolls including it. I typically go for most variations of california, salmon and crunchy rolls that don't have cream cheese involved.

TViddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unagi Rolls

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm all about the salmon. Give me that in nigiri, in a roll with avocado, or preferably just sashimi, oh and salmon tataki is great along with tuna tataki. I also love unagi and escolar nigiri.

Sashimi of nearly anything tends to be my go-to.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Favorites definitely vary a bit. I actually really like tuna, but depending on the quality/season/restaurant or whatever, tuna can be the best or worst thing on the plate. As far as consistency and general awesomeness go, I love regular cucumber maki. Plain and straightforward, but hey I'd say it's a winning concept. Can't go wrong with salmon either. In contrast to the opening poster, avocado is what I usually try to take off the order or avoid. Sure it's edible, I won't leave any leftovers. But avocado is definitely not a favorite. "it's like eating a ghost"

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Can't go wrong with a nice eel roll.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spicy Salmon + Spicy tuna.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By veektarius

Spicy yellowtail, but only when it's crunchy, and paired with an alaska. Alternate salty and mild. Specialty rolls are generally better/more interesting but I'm not sure how standardized they are. I had a Godzilla roll recently that was really good.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sikdude

I usually get a Tokyo Roll at my local joint. Not sure exactly what's in it besides crab and tuna but it's delicious.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Salmon is my #1 pick.