Favourite Roleplaying podcasts

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm looking to get into some new DnD/pen and paper/roleplaying podcasts. So I was wondering what are some of your favourites?

Podcasts where they're just doing a campaign can be very hit and miss, so suggestions are always helpful.

So far I mainly listen to the Pax prime stuff. Or the dnd section of Harmontown. I've tried some other ones...but nothing has really stuck. The players are either too into themselves, aren't funny, or are just plain old awkward. So what are some of your favourites so I can steal them and make them my own.

I'm especially interesting in hearing about podcasts where they play pen and paper games other than DnD.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know you said other than dnd, but I'd suggest critical hits podcast. Based on 4th edition, 4 guys begin their journey into dnd, one of them being completely new to roleplaying games. It's a great podcast, and the DM is one of the best.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Nerd Poker was really great when they still had Mr. Sark DMing. Now they just kind of do whatever. Still funny but not quite the same. Haven't had much luck with other podcasts in the same vein. I have mostly found myself falling down the rabbit hole of watching the various Rollplay series on YouTube though that's not really a format that you can listen to on the go.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Crit Juice!!

Its got all the deep storytelling that you want but with lots of drinking and Sydney Portier references. I love it.

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never actually played any d&d in real life but after watching the bomb crew try their hand I stumbled across the acquisitions Inc videos on YouTube (not sure if that's pax stuff you mentioned). They had an excellent group dynamic and pretty funny I thought.

isentorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Six Feats Under

They have a main campaign of 13th age which I find really enjoyable. They also do one off games of other RPGs sometimes getting people who were involved in the games creation playing or DMing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I liked the Acquisitions Inc podcasts until they became a public event. It feel like it threw off several of the players and changed the nature of the humor and even the DM's sensibilities. Chris Perkins does seem like the most baller DM ever, though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#9  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The Adventure Zone is pretty light in terms of how much nuts-and-bolts rules stuff and deviation from what the DM has planned is concerned, but it's also a pretty fantastic stage for The Brothers McElroy and their dad to goof around.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've tried a whole bunch of them because my work offers ample podcasting opportunities. I'm pretty happy with The Adventure Zone and Critical Hit. The Adventure Zone is run by The McElroys who have been guest stars on a few E3 Bombcasts. It started pretty recently so it'll be easy to catch up. It's good if you're looking for something funny that doesn't take the roleplaying aspect too seriously (sort of like Acquisitions Inc).

Critical Hit makes me feel more like a fly on the wall during an actual campaign. They've got a really strong DM, and some decent players who only get better, but the humor is less of a focus so if that's what you're looking for it might not be for you. Also it's 4th edition so the combat episodes feel like they go on and on. There are hundreds of episodes out so if you have lots of podcast time Critical Hit is good for that.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like there are a few good solid suggestions here. I've heard of Critjuice and used to listen to it some but the audio mixing was pretty bad at the time. Kept on having to turn it up or down and the audio quality to some episodes was low. I tried Nerd Poker too before. It's good but I didn't endup sticking with it. I'll give it another go because I can still remember some of the story they had going on there. Austin's stuff. Yeah i'm listening to it every now and then. Austin is a great addition to the crew but the story in his podcast doesn't seem as off the walls as I generally listen to.

So: Six feats under, Adventure Zone, and Critical hits. Seem to be the new ones. I listened to a bit of the last episode of Critical hits today and I'm not sure what to think. Could be funny and maybe interesting but I need to listen to more.

When I was looking through itunes I downloaded "D&D is for Nerds". It seems to be a new podcast but the first 20 minutes or so were pretty funny so I would recommend that to people.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By izzygraze

Ok nvm about critjuice. I think I stopped listening because they stopped making them. I see there's at least one new episode though.