• 85 results
#1 Posted by Unilad (585 posts) -

For me? Sopranos..hands down. Was consistently incredible. So many noteworthy episodes, excellent characters,superb plot twists, and fantastic sub textual meaning.

House M.D had promise, then got insanely repetitious.

The Wire was good of course.

Whats your favourite and why?

(Oh and for the love of good TV series, please no spoilers, that would be lame)

#2 Posted by crusader8463 (14441 posts) -

Star Trek: The Next Generation

#3 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

X-Files

#4 Posted by Ketchupp (669 posts) -

Arrested Development.... analrapist.

#5 Posted by IBurningStar (2191 posts) -

Tie between Cowboy Bebop and Lost.

#6 Posted by spiceninja (3085 posts) -

Buffy, Angel, Lost, Star Trek: TNG. I could go on.

#7 Posted by hoossy (944 posts) -

The Wire/Arrested Development

#8 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I don't think that I can narrow it down to one.

#9 Posted by wemibelec90 (1931 posts) -

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, easily. It just does so many thing in its seven seasons and I can always go back and watch it again.

Firefly is a close second but loses because there just isn't enough of it.

#10 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

The IT Crowd

Peep Show

Arrested Development

The Wire

The Shield

Doctor Who (as of recent)

American Dad

Home Movies

I watch a lot of TV (work in it too, the shitty reality part though unfortunately)

#11 Posted by Aegon (5995 posts) -
@Ketchupp said:

Arrested Development.... analrapist.

@hoossy said:

The Wire/Arrested Development

Second time I linked to that video today. 

My answer would be a tie between season 4 of Breaking Bad (crawl space) with season 4 of Dexter. Those two are dramas though, so it's hard to compare and grade them relative to comedies. In the comedy section it's Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and let's throw in Arrested Development in there as well.  
#12 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Breaking bad, simple.

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3930 posts) -

Drawn Together because it was amazing and always had two plots per episode. Also Twilight Zone (because it holds up remarkably well and will help you realize just how many ideas are taken from this show), Regular Show (because it is an amazing cartoon), American Horror Story (because it is like an episode of the Twilight Zone that is a season long) and Walking Dead (because its like a zombie movie with characters you are able to become invested in).

#14 Edited by lavaman77 (565 posts) -

#1 (*Tie)- BattleStar Galactica (Remake) and Monster (Anime)

What can i say, BSG is easily the best Sci-Fi i've ever seen. Monster is the greatest and smartest Anime I've seen and it's more than good enough to tie with BSG.

#2 - Arrested Development

Best Comedy hands down, love every single character in it. Except maybe for Maeby.

#3 - Supernatural

Was amazing until Season 4, it all went down hill from there and became a religious show. I still dig seasons 1-3 though.

#4 - Criminal Minds

GTFO CSI, Criminal Minds is where the real crime drama is at. I love how each episode delves into the mind of the killer, makes for a constantly changing formula as you don't know what exactly the killer is going to do.

#5 - The Walking Dead

No doubt the best Zombie media i've seen. The first half of Season 2 was a real drag though, i hope they go back to the survival formula of Season 1 with Season 3.

#6 - Angel

I loved Angel a lot, for me it's a lot better than Buffy because it takes itself seriously and gives off awesome noir vibes. I however despise the second half of season 3 and all of Season 4, Season 5 was amazing though so i forgave the writing team and whedon. :) Spike and Angel are the best duo ever!

#7 - Buffy

I loved Buffy a lot, easily has THE best Vampire/Human love story. The first time Angel loses his soul still gives me chills.

#8 - The X Files

Childhood favorite.

#9 - Fringe

Fantastic.

#10 - LOST

I loved it but sometimes i can't help it but become horribly confused by the plot.

#15 Posted by Dots (115 posts) -

Fringe, I fucking love it, and Twin Peaks because it blows my mind.

#16 Posted by jorojoserojas (260 posts) -

I'm nearing the end of Battlestar Galactica for the first time. If the last few episodes of season 4 hold up to the rest of the series so far, it'll be my favorite show of all time.

#17 Posted by Ghostiet (5497 posts) -

The Wire, Breaking Bad and Justified.

#18 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Angel and also a Korean drama called "Coffee Prince".

#19 Posted by pantzing_nome (591 posts) -

Trailer Park Boys - the funniest television series I have ever watched.

#20 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

#21 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

LOST

#22 Posted by TheHT (12095 posts) -

1. Game of Thrones

2. Breaking Bad

3. Sherlock

#23 Posted by SoloReX (61 posts) -

Twin Peaks

#24 Posted by ohmijan (1 posts) -

Fringe (for my sci fi fix)

Sherlock (in Moffat we trust!!)

Game of Thrones (it got dragons!!)

#25 Posted by SnakeSDR (64 posts) -

1. Deadwood - I had a marathon viewing session of all 3 seasons on DVD (bought them only having caught half an episode on TV one night) over a long weekend and was so upset that it had been cancelled. It solidified me as a fan of Westerns and completely desensitised me to cursing, sex, nudity and violence forever.

2. Doctor Who (Matt Smith) - I've thoroughly enjoyed the new Matt Smith series' of Doctor Who and I'm currently working through the 'new' series' starting with the Christopher Eccleston episodes and will be getting onto the David Tennant stuff soon.

3. Breaking Bad - I am loving the shit out of this show, I've been told to watch this since it came out and just hadn't made the time until now, such a great show.

4. House - I really loved House for the first 5 - 6 seasons, but started to feel like it was running too long after that. Still those early seasons are great and I still love those characters and Hugh Laurie has stayed consistently brilliant despite the show's tired formula.

#26 Posted by Rebel_Scum (829 posts) -

Seinfeld and Quantum Leap.

Stopped watching tv apart from live sport after they ended.

#27 Posted by wwfundertaker (1410 posts) -

The Sopranos and many others.

#28 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Star Trek: The Next Generation

#29 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

Spaced!

#30 Posted by wemibelec90 (1931 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

Also Twilight Zone (because it holds up remarkably well and will help you realize just how many ideas are taken from this show)

Recently watching through this for the first time, I have realized just how true this really is. It seems like every single episode reminds me of something else and just how similar the two are.

@lavaman77 said:

#6 - Angel

I loved Angel a lot, for me it's a lot better than Buffy because it takes itself seriously and gives off awesome noir vibes. I however despise the second half of season 3 and all of Season 4, Season 5 was amazing though so i forgave the writing team and whedon. :) Spike and Angel are the best duo ever!

Man, Season 4 of Angel really makes me sad every time I think of it. I feel that them having to work around Charisma Carpenter's pregnancy really made that season go off the rails (although it sounds like they were heading in a somewhat similar direction before that). I still consider that to be the reason the show even got canceled.

#32 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

The Berserk Anime Show.

Looking forward to the movie adaption so much.

#33 Edited by sionweeks (663 posts) -
  • Six Feet Under - I don't think there is any show as perfect as this.
  • Breaking Bad
  • First few seasons of House
  • First few seasons of Dexter (1 and 2 were the best, although they're all good)
#34 Posted by UitDeToekomst (765 posts) -

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Simpsons Seinfeld Futurama Firefly Deadwood Arrested Development

#35 Posted by DeF (5013 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, easily. It just does so many thing in its seven seasons and I can always go back and watch it again.

Firefly is a close second but loses because there just isn't enough of it.

same here. I don't wanna go on and list all the close seconds though ...

Buffy kicked things off and opened a lot of eyes to what you can do on TV. So many "they really did that?" episodes ... pure greatness.

#36 Posted by VipeR (111 posts) -

Band of brothers, the Pacific and Generation kill, three mini series but some of the greatest media in existance.

Also, Futurama, the Wire, early Simpsons and How I met your mother

#37 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@Rebel_Scum said:

Seinfeld and Quantum Leap.

Stopped watching tv apart from live sport after they ended.

Quantum Leap was indeed awsome. Too bad it never got the ending it deserved.

On topic: Battlestar Galatica, Deep Space 9, Breaking Bad and The Wire.

#38 Posted by Christoffer (1971 posts) -

In recent years it's Lost and The Wire. Extremely well produced shows that elevated TV far above movies, for me. But of all time it has to be "How the west was won" (or simply "Macahan" as it was called here in sweden). I was shivering with anticipation every week waiting for this show to start. I don't know how well it holds up today but I haven't loved a show so much ever since.

#39 Posted by Vexxan (4619 posts) -

House and Breaking Bad.

#40 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -
  1. The Wire
  2. Breaking Bad
  3. Seinfeld
  4. Arrested Development
  5. Firefly

Doctor Who got close - Ecclestone was perfect, and Tennant was amazing, it was just a little too hit and miss. But it was overall, amazing. And then Moffat came in, brought in leads that can't act, plotlines that were convoluted and twisty to hide the fact they had 0 substance, and spending too much time doing that mastabatory 'look at me I'm so clever' type of writing that he forgot to make the show any good. Since 2010, it's been a colossal disappointment.

Speaking of that man, Sherlock reached a peak with episode 3 of season 1. Season 2 was a massive step down, and Moffat's first episode was one of the biggest disappointments in television ever.

I really dislike that guy's writing style. Hopefully he stops taking all the British Shows with potential at some point, so someone can do them well.

#41 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Seinfeld, Dexter, MASH, Game of Thrones, Scrubs (not the last season), Band of Brothers, Sharpe, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, so many more are up there for me. But, and it surprises me that I feel this way, I think Justified is, pound for pound, the best show I've ever seen in terms of being 3 seasons of damn near perfect acting, plotting, character development, and mix of crime of the week and overarching storyline. Every second of every episode is a pleasure to watch, which is rare.

#42 Edited by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

@Christoffer said:

In recent years it's Lost and The Wire. Extremely well produced shows that elevated TV far above movies, for me. But of all time it has to be "How the west was won" (or simply "Macahan" as it was called here in sweden). I was shivering with anticipation every week waiting for this show to start. I don't know how well it holds up today but I haven't loved a show so much ever since.

The only one of those I would agree with is "The wire". Lost? Bollocks. It's not even a good show.

#43 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

Star wars clone wars (2004)

game of thrones

the walking dead

community

#44 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5159 posts) -

If anime counts: Gintama. If not: Magnum P.I.

#45 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2741 posts) -

The Wire is definitely my favorite. I also want to say Justified, but I'll wait until it's over.

#46 Posted by TheIronYuppie (118 posts) -

ER

Hands down. First character/workplace drama I ever got into. A show about doctors who were actually portreyed as real people; they failed, they succeed, some quit, some are fired, some get crippling addictions, some die. The first eight seasons of the show are timeless, I still rewatch them every couple years. People have tried to turn me on to House, MD or Grey's Anatomy but neither struck a cord with me either were missing likable/realistic characters or I could never shake the feeling I've seen it all done better already.

Honorable mention to Angel and Firefly, Whedon at his best!

#47 Posted by PenguinDust (12697 posts) -

Normally I can't answer with just one show, but I'm feeling lazy this morning so I'm just going to say Futurama. I've seen every episode at least a dozen times (well half a dozen for the new shows) and am always entertained. Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

#48 Posted by cutyoface (555 posts) -
  • Dexter
  • Twin Peaks
  • Chuck
#49 Posted by forkboy (1217 posts) -

@TheIronYuppie said:

ER

Hands down. First character/workplace drama I ever got into. A show about doctors who were actually portreyed as real people; they failed, they succeed, some quit, some are fired, some get crippling addictions, some die. The first eight seasons of the show are timeless, I still rewatch them every couple years. People have tried to turn me on to House, MD or Grey's Anatomy but neither struck a cord with me either were missing likable/realistic characters or I could never shake the feeling I've seen it all done better already.

Honorable mention to Angel and Firefly, Whedon at his best!

ER was good. The death of Dr Romano was just perfect considering his (understandable) fear of helicopters after the hand went. I laughed quite a lot there.

But yeah, The Wire is the best television programme I've ever seen. If you've seen it you probably know why.

#50 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Breaking Bad was great throughout, but as of Season 4, it's probably not my favourite...

Father Ted or the IT Crowd, maybe.