• 65 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So hey, its October you know the time of year where we start to break out the cider and awful awful wax abominations known as candy corn. Also, its a time when horror movies and horror themed stuff in general is big. So what perfect time to share what scares you the most? Spiders? Heights? Clowns? Assuming you're cool with sharing post your stories here.

So I guess its only fair since I proposed the question that I go first right? I think my greatest fear is the Ocean. Seriously, it freaks me out just the utter black void that it is all the insanely creepy creatures that live in it. I can freak myself out if I seriously start to think about it in detail. Its not even really a fear of drowning I'll get in water and swim its just all the crazy crazy shit that lives IN the ocean that I can't see that freaks me out the most. So, I'll stay here on land faaar away from the nasty black depths of the ocean. Cause fuck that.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Heights! If they made a game built entirely around heights, with cliffs and crazy mountains.. :D

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

Man's inhumanity to man.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Spiders send shivers through my body when I come across them unexpectedly. If I see one across the room then it's no problem, I just freak out when surprised by them.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You know, when I think about it, a lot of things scare me.

When I was young, I angered a bees nest and the events that followed resulted in me being forever scared by flying insects that sting.
I'm also afraid of being in large, open water. The notion of swimming in the middle of the ocean or the center of a lake freaks me out to no end. I always imagine a giant creature being right below me.
Similarly, I'm afraid of to-scale models of sea life. For whatever reason, I get really nervous around wax/plastic models of sharks if they're to scale. I think it gives me a sense of their actual size, and I don't like that one bit.
Finally, I'll say I hate silent houses. When I'm home alone, I need there to be sound going on - be it the television or whatever. As soon as things go quiet, I immediately let my imagination go mad and start conjuring up notions of there being something in the house that's watching me.

So yeah, I'm a bit of a scared-y cat.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'm not foolish enough to answer such a question.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Snakes... I hate snakes..

Interestingly enough, I never used to have an issue with them until I decided that I wanted to be like Indiana Jones as a kid. And now I'm legitimately scared to death of snakes. Funny how that worked out.

This is the only traditional thing that I'm scared of, I'd say. There certainly are some other concepts, but I feel delving into that might be involve a bit too much soul-searching for my liking.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very little scares me in this life.

...kidney stones though. The idea that I could be pissing razor blades horrifies me.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By jadegl

Walking over sewer grates.I hate the sound they make, I hate the thought of them collapsing and me falling into them, I hate it. I used to just hop over them or walk to the side, now I am "adult" enough to swallow my horror and walk over them. Still freaky though.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Being eaten alive.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I hate deep water and heights. So I'm pretty much bound within the continent I live on, and yes I do get goosebumps in games when I'm thrust within situations with these fears taken to the extremities. It was interesting playing both Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, given they create worlds around my two fears.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Turambar

An inability to leave any meaningful mark on the world, as characterized by my massive inferiority complex.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deep water, heights, and bugssss. I also get creeped out at night if I'm watching TV or something and I can't see out my windows, like it's just blackness. There's probably a dude standing there watching me :'(

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Clowns, fuck them.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

An inability to leave any meaningful mark on the world, as characterized by my massive inferiority complex.

The world as a whole, or the community around you?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snakes... I hate snakes..

Interestingly enough, I never used to have an issue with them until I decided that I wanted to be like Indiana Jones as a kid. And now I'm legitimately scared to death of snakes. Funny how that worked out.

This is the only traditional thing that I'm scared of, I'd say. There certainly are some other concepts, but I feel delving into that might be involve a bit too much soul-searching for my liking.

totally this. And there was some other movie which featured a snake (a mamba) coming out of a shower. After that I really can not sleep if I see a movie with a snake and even while showering I always look at the ground to be sure there is no snake XD

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deep water. I can't even handle it in games. Even if I know nothing is there, I still have a hard time. Even worse if I know there are sharks or other things. Doesn't even have to be anything living. A plane or boat even creeps me out.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much scares me, but I wouldn't want to be surrounded by sharks in the middle of the ocean. I'd imagine having a bunch of people yelling in Arabic as you're about to get your head removed with a dull blade is pretty bad too. It's all about not having control.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of spiders, much.

In games, I found out recently with Far Cry 3 and GTA V, that deep water and sharks are terrifying, though.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RandomHero666

Only water really, which is weird seeing as I used to spend a lot of time around it.

I can't swim, and when I was about 12 I sank almost waist deep into mud under a few inches of water, so it doesn't have to be deep to give me the jeebies.

I like spiders, hate flies so that works.

I like heights, makes me feel alive.

But drowning.. ugh

EDIT: I guess I could add social situations, even though it's not a physical entity, it still counts right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban said:

Deep water. I can't even handle it in games. Even if I know nothing is there, I still have a hard time. Even worse if I know there are sharks or other things. Doesn't even have to be anything living. A plane or boat even creeps me out.

=p I hope you aren't wanting to get all the trophies in GTA V cause there is an achievement for getting eaten by a shark.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Snakes and taxidermied animals

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking spiders, man! Some weirdos think spiders are cute. Well, fuck those people! You know what's cute? Kittens and puppies, not 8 legged abominations from Hell.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Motherfucking bees.

Put me up against practically anything else. Please, not bees.

I'm also very afraid of losing the use of one of my hands. Losing legs would suck but I think I could live with that, but there are so many things that I do with both hands.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I was bit by a brown recluse as a little kid, and ever since then, I either freeze up around spiders or start destroying everything in an attempt to kill them. There's never really a middle ground.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Nodima

Just about everything smaller and bigger than me. Also, any body of water not contained and maintained by man (and even then...let's just say I was one of those kids that saw sharks swimming around in the deep end of the pool even when I was 11 and 12 years old). @krullban: the few times I've been in the ocean in GTA V I've been absolutely terrified; I kept expecting to see a giant squid or something. I didn't realize how DEEP or how DARK they were going to make that place.

I don't walk around all scared and afraid of the world, but people hate having me as the main passenger in a car because I cinch up in preparation for like 5 accidents per average drive, seeing just about any kind of bug close to or on me will make me jump up and swipe all over my body to get them off, I refuse to go up on roofs at parties 9/10 times due to a fear I'll lose my footing on the ladder and fall to my death and I get really, really tense about going to work right up to the moment I clock in, like I'm going to walk in and be told I'm not needed anymore.

Predictably, this means the only horror movies I've seen in my life are the Halloween films (and only after college) and the two American Ring movies (also, the original Japanese version). I can't explain what my fascination with the Ring concept was but those first two were the only horror movies I've seen in theaters and likely all I'll ever see, even though The Ring 2 was kind of horse doo-doo.

Also, when I was a kid (five or six probably) I forced my dad to take me home about 30 minutes into Star Trek: First Contact. I remember my dad warning me I wouldn't want to see it because of how badly the Borg apparently scared me in regular Next Generation episodes but I was adamant about seeing it...thirty minutes later my dad's carrying me out of the theater in his arms embarrassed as hell.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of Horror movies, I get pretty unsettled on the films that have a terrifying atmosphere, and has gore just for shock factor, and is not the main focus. For example, I've seen the trailers for the Carrie remake, and it already looks terrifying.

In real life however, I'm scared to death of bees. I got stung by one when I was a kid, and the experience got buried in my psyche. I've been trying to get over my fear of them for years, but when one buzzes right by me, I just flinch.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29 gamer_152  Moderator

There's not really a creature, type of object, or many familiar experiences I can point at and say "I'm scared of that", but in a larger sense: The unknown.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Empty soda bottles. (That have been used)

It's not really fear but I get freaked out around them for some reason.

Other than that, I think actually just darkness. It really unsettles me sometimes.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Clonedzero

Well. my greatest fear is going blind, deaf, or being severely crippled. Any of those, i'd probably rather die (no offense to any disabled people out there).

In horror movie terms, well it'd have to be something supernaturalish to really fuck me up. I mean if it was a psycho murderer I'd figure i could take him out and try to fight back (sure it might get me killed but its just a dude come on). But like a ghost, i dunno how to kill a damn ghost

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Space

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a very particular fear. I'm afraid of up-close shots of insects' "faces". I think it's the alien quality that freaks me out. I'm fine with insects around (though flying insects annoy me more than anything) and some insects are cool.

Other than that, I'm not unreasonably afraid of anything else. Water is good, heights are fine, flying is fun, darkness is cool, etc.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By falserelic

Ever since I got mauled by my friend's dog when I was a kid. I usually prefer not to hang around dogs too much, it was his mom's fault why I got attacked at my friend's home, then I got attacked again when I rushed outside from his house. Luckily a neighbor across the street got the dog off me. Afterwards I went to the hospital and got bandaged up. After that I never went back to his house until one day his dad decided to put the dog to sleep.

I actually was happy when I heard his dog was dead and my friend knew I was happy. Then about a year later, his dad got two German Shepherds. Then I just stopped going to his house completely. Nowadays when I see dogs I want distance between us, and when people don't have their dog's on a leash I get pissed off.

EDIT: Depends on the dog I'm not usually scared of them, but I don't like being around them.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Creatures with way too many appendages for their own good. The idea of those legs crawling all over your face.....

I'm always been unsettled by the deepest, darkest ends of the sea. The irrational idea that there's some enormous creature just below the water looking up at us.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon said:

Creatures with way too many appendages for their own good. The idea of those legs crawling all over your face.....

I'm always been unsettled by the deepest, darkest ends of the sea. The irrational idea that there's some enormous creature just below the water looking up at us.

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Reality. Spiders. Home Invasion.

But seriously, Body Horror. Things bursting out of orifices or otherwise being gross never does well for my psyche. Which is why I will never watch a David Cronenberg film.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon said:

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP.

Yup, and just think there is shit so far down in the darkest depths of the ocean that we still don't even know much about or even flat out know about even still. How crazy is it that there is shit in the ocean that we still have no extensive scientific data about?

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

@supamon said:

Yup, and just think there is shit so far down in the darkest depths of the ocean that we still don't even know much about or even flat out know about even still. How crazy is it that there is shit in the ocean that we still have no extensive scientific data about?

We're more familiar with the surface of Mars than our oceans. I swear to god the moment we find some Lovecraftian sea-beast down there, I'm out.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JohnTunoku

Huge snakes (That bone crunching sound that you hear as they squeeze you is what scares me, also how hard to kill they are and how fast they are), body horror(I don't rightly know why, just afraid of being mutilated I guess) and rusty sharp things(Impaled and diseased! Creepy stuff.). Really not much else, I don't find horror movies particularly interesting, not imaginative in that way I guess.

I suppose I could also be said to be afraid of failing to fulfill my ambitions and dying alone, but I think that sort of thing is pretty universal and probably not what you had in mind for your October fear thread.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Girls.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiders !!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heights are the fucking worst for me...Louie had a great scene I could relate to in it's third season, but can't find a video of that right now. Doesn't really bother me in games/movies, but in real-life situations my stomach gets all twisted-up and I nearly want to scream at the people who are sitting near the edge without a care in the world. Even when there's no possibility to fall down, there's still that tingling feeling...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

was watching Slither, that was a goofy movie, and the idea of those slugs creeped me out. The humor and the goofiness was fun, the whole idea of the slugs crawling and overwhelming, tenticles, all of that kinda hit a primal fear, but then just when the film is over, I was never scared remembering it, because when I remember it I think of goofy jokes and the logic of "SPACE SLUGS."

Reminds me a lot of the 1988 Blob remake, those were AMAZING Effects, still hold up, excellent pacing wonderful set up, and the acidic aspect of the blob, how it sucks a guy into a sink, but again thinking "it's a space slug" doesn't scare me instead it makes me laugh.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calculus.

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

human contact

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Turambar

@turambar said:

The world as a whole, or the community around you?

Mmmm, both? I don't really know.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reality. Spiders. Home Invasion.

But seriously, Body Horror. Things bursting out of orifices or otherwise being gross never does well for my psyche. Which is why I will never watch a David Cronenberg film.

I'm not one to watch horror films or ones filled with gore. However, I have a hard time considering that as fear as things being terribly gross feels all to far removed from reality, and whatever terror those moments instill in me generally fade away quickly after the screen is turned off. They don't usually have the permanence to marinate in my psychological stew.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Krullban

@krullban said:

=p I hope you aren't wanting to get all the trophies in GTA V cause there is an achievement for getting eaten by a shark.

Yeah. I tried to do it by going as far out in the ocean as possible so my boat turned off and I started to sink that alone scared the shit out of me. Then I shark came out of nowhere under there but I ended up just drowning.

I also tried looking for the submarine parts and the waste. But everytime I come across anything under there my heart starts beating fast.