• 81 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -


#2 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

Personally, I find it hilarious. It's obvious that they're playing off of rediculous stereotypes. My favourite part is "rolling in at 100km/h" and that the school is having a poutine dance. Laughing at one's own culture is healthy, and I think that Kroll, being very good at satirical humour, is actually making fun of American misconceptions more than Canada itself.

So what's your take on it?

#3 Posted by mosespippy (4034 posts) -

I chose see results because I don't care enough to bother pressing play.

#4 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

I would like to shift all discussion within this thread to the other duplicate thread I've already posted in - I feel it opened much stronger. Please lock this thread immediately, ban this guy for two weeks, and promote me to sergeant.

#5 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

I wasn't going to watch the video but something compelled me and I'm glad I did. It was hilarious. I can't answer the poll though, your option for saying "no, it's not offensive" is just to darn aggressive for me.

But, no, it's not offensive. It's hilarious. More please.

#6 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Now I just want to call people hosers.

#7 Posted by Sumbog (481 posts) -

That was really dumb, and really great. I find us Canadians have the funniest stereotypes, I don't see them as offensive, just quirky. Also I find that in Alberta, as I posted in the duplicated thread, that we are less representative of these stereotypes.

Hoser is a great word, I still don't fully understand what it means.

#8 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin: Damn it Biff, if they do this, know that I will rise from the ashes, stronger and more Canadian than ever before. They shall look upon my politeness and despair!

#9 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

I don't think the dude a couple posts above me is actually Canadian. That sort of destroys the entire purpose of the thread.

Canadians run hotter than regular humans so I think it's only right that we verify every poster by taking temperatures rectally.

As usual I guess I'll be the one doing the actual dirty work, seeing as I'm the only one here with a rectal thermometer handy.

#10 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

Also, for the purposes of full disclosure it's actually just my pinky with a series off black lines drawn down it.

#11 Posted by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

It's also worth noting that this is as much a parody of Degrassi as it is of Canada. Also, it is definitely making fun of America's stereotype of Canada rather than saying anything about Canada itself.

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

Okay, that was actually funny. Good times, eh?

#13 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

I don't think the dude a couple posts above me is actually Canadian. That sort of destroys the entire purpose of the thread.

Canadians run hotter than regular humans so I think it's only right that we verify every poster by taking temperatures rectally.

As usual I guess I'll be the one doing the actual dirty work, seeing as I'm the only one here with a rectal thermometer handy.

It's true, we run at 37 deg C, which is way hotter than 98.7 deg F.

#14 Posted by SuperCycle (332 posts) -

I thought, "We take giant sticks we find in the forest to bash seals." was pretty funny. That was really the only line that made me laugh out loud. It wasn't offensive at all. The one thing they didn't touch on was our love for really great beer, almost to the point where we are a nation of alcoholics, and of course fighting at hockey games. I don't even like Hockey, yes I am Canadian, I just really like to fight at the games.

#15 Posted by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

I don't think the dude a couple posts above me is actually Canadian. That sort of destroys the entire purpose of the thread.

Canadians run hotter than regular humans so I think it's only right that we verify every poster by taking temperatures rectally.

As usual I guess I'll be the one doing the actual dirty work, seeing as I'm the only one here with a rectal thermometer handy.

It's true, we run at 37 deg C, which is way hotter that 98.7 deg F.

I can only assume the C stands for Canadian.

#16 Posted by beeftothetaco (420 posts) -

It seemed like they crammed as many Canadian stereotypes into that three and-a-half minute span as they could, which I think is lazy as fuck.

#17 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

holy shit that was funny, and as the guy a few posts above me said, it's definitely more a parody of Degrassi than Canada in general.

Still, funny as hell and not offensive at all.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

Also, for the purposes of full disclosure it's actually just my pinky with a series off black lines drawn down it.

Studies show that the middle finger is actually more accurate and less likely to give false readings.

#19 Posted by Patman99 (1558 posts) -

This is the most inaccurate piece of trash I have ever seen in my whole life. Victoria Day is a holiday so there is no way students would be in school.

#20 Posted by soul101 (104 posts) -

Lazy comedy - YES

Offensive - NO

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6333 posts) -

As a filthy, filthy American, I envy Canada's stereotypes. You guys get some awesome ones. I mean, if even if they were true, Canada would just be a land of super-friendly lumberjacks with zany accents and a distinct disregard for the definition of "bacon", which beats our "fat, dumb warmongers" by a considerable margin.

#22 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

I don't think the dude a couple posts above me is actually Canadian. That sort of destroys the entire purpose of the thread.

Canadians run hotter than regular humans so I think it's only right that we verify every poster by taking temperatures rectally.

As usual I guess I'll be the one doing the actual dirty work, seeing as I'm the only one here with a rectal thermometer handy.

It's true, we run at 37 deg C, which is way hotter that 98.7 deg F.

I can only assume the C stands for Canadian.

Close, it actually stands for Canuck. As everyone knows one Canuck = 1.098 Canadians, due to the higher amount of caloric radiation given off by our Poutine-powered generators.

#23 Posted by Zella (703 posts) -

It's better than most parodies of Canada but it's still pretty generic. While I'm not gonna get up in arms or anything about it I think it's just as bad as any other parody of Canada. My main beef with most of them is that they completely ignore most of Canada in foreign depictions, it's either Quebec, Ontario, or Saskatchewan. I mean if you're gonna make fun of Canadian there is such prime material in Newfoundland, yet instead it's mostly focused on Ontario(namely Toronto which is possibly the least Canadian city in the country).

#24 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Nah, just painfully unfunny.

#25 Posted by pakalolobro420 (42 posts) -

cldnt see the video but i liv in states ya know n you candains seem cool

#26 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

Also, for the purposes of full disclosure it's actually just my pinky with a series off black lines drawn down it.

Studies show that the middle finger is actually more accurate and less likely to give false readings.

Yeah but then what finger would I use to gently flick the underside of the nutsack while I'm taking the reading? This is why you're never in charge of these things.

#27 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

This is the most inaccurate piece of trash I have ever seen in my whole life. Victoria Day is a holiday so there is no way students would be in school.

You already used the finger test on the cast?

#28 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@Zella: Shh, Newfoundland is an inside joke, we can't let the Americans know or they'll ruin it!

#29 Posted by NUCLEAR_CHIRON (19 posts) -

That's not funny at all. What happened to Jimmy Brooks was a tragedy.

#30 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Zella: Shh, Newfoundland is an inside joke, we can't let the Americans know or they'll ruin it!

About an hour ago I was watching this on TV over here:

Their job is to shoot icebergs and collect the pieces that fall off with butterfly nets.... to sell to water bottlers (because that makes perfect sense)

So, you're too late.

#31 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

the real question is whether this is offensive

(I know it isn't but it reminded me of this and gave me an excuse to post this)

#32 Edited by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

@Zella said:

I mean if you're gonna make fun of Canadian there is such prime material in Newfoundland, yet instead it's mostly focused on Ontario(namely Toronto which is possibly the least Canadian city in the country).

full disclosure: i'm american by birth, but have lived in toronto for 8 years. they laid it on pretty thick (which i'm guessing was overwhelmingly the point), but basing it in toronto is a little weird. it'd be like making fun of rednecks in philadelphia- possible, but unlikely. anyway, pretty funny. it's clear the intended audience is american though- it doesn't focus on regional stereotypes as much as greatly exaggerated national ones.

and for the record- i'd kill a man for a good peameal sandwich. nothing else compares.

#33 Edited by Cathryn (545 posts) -

@soul101 said:

Lazy comedy - YES

Offensive - NO

Yep, that.

@Animasta: Thanks for bringing the actual comedy! <3

#34 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@BiffMcBlumpkin: The jig is up then, it was good while lasted. Also, that show is redonkulous.

#35 Posted by Zella (703 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

@Zella said:

I mean if you're gonna make fun of Canadian there is such prime material in Newfoundland, yet instead it's mostly focused on Ontario(namely Toronto which is possibly the least Canadian city in the country).

full disclosure: i'm american by birth, but have lived in toronto for 8 years. they laid it on pretty thick (which i'm guessing was overwhelmingly the point), but basing it in toronto is a little weird. it'd be like making fun of rednecks in philadelphia- possible, but unlikely. anyway, pretty funny. it's clear the intended audience is american though- it doesn't focus on regional stereotypes as much as greatly exaggerated national ones.

and for the record- i'd kill a man for a good peameal sandwich. nothing else compares.

I meant more in general, Canadian parody stuff is either often set in Toronto or references it a ton.

#36 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

As a Canadian, making fun of other Canadians is all I have to cope with the fact that I live in Canada.

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Zella: Shh, Newfoundland is an inside joke, we can't let the Americans know or they'll ruin it!

About an hour ago I was watching this on TV over here:

Their job is to shoot icebergs and collect the pieces that fall off with butterfly nets.... to sell to water bottlers (because that makes perfect sense)

So, you're too late.

Okay so subtitling that guy, THAT's offensive.

#37 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@Animasta said:

the real question is whether this is offensive

(I know it isn't but it reminded me of this and gave me an excuse to post this)

Ha ha, I love that dig Ryan got on Drew at 1:47 and then Drew gives him the finger through his jacket.

#38 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

Yeah, there's no reason for this to even be offensive though. It's not so much as making fun of anyone, that's not the point, it's just exaggerating what American's think of Canada from a stereotypical perspective; American's don't actually think that's the way Canadian's are, unless you're perhaps sheltered. American's do this kind of thing to other American's as well. This stuff isn't really funny.

#39 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

As a Canadian, making fun of other Canadians is all I have to cope with the fact that I live in Canada.

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Zella: Shh, Newfoundland is an inside joke, we can't let the Americans know or they'll ruin it!

About an hour ago I was watching this on TV over here:

Their job is to shoot icebergs and collect the pieces that fall off with butterfly nets.... to sell to water bottlers (because that makes perfect sense)

So, you're too late.

Okay so subtitling that guy, THAT's offensive.

I've noticed they do it to perfectly understandable British people too. I guess some Americans have a lot of trouble with accents.

#40 Posted by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

@Zella:

oh i agree with you. there's better spots for sure. but if there goal is to clue americans in, i suppose they stick to the big cities.

sort of relatedly- remember the big kerfuffle conan caused in quebec? i thought that was pretty funny.

#41 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@MikkaQ said:

As a Canadian, making fun of other Canadians is all I have to cope with the fact that I live in Canada.

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Zella: Shh, Newfoundland is an inside joke, we can't let the Americans know or they'll ruin it!

About an hour ago I was watching this on TV over here:

Their job is to shoot icebergs and collect the pieces that fall off with butterfly nets.... to sell to water bottlers (because that makes perfect sense)

So, you're too late.

Okay so subtitling that guy, THAT's offensive.

I've noticed they do it to perfectly understandable British people too. I guess some Americans have a lot of trouble with accents.

Yeah maybe that's true. Though to be fair, the father up north you go in England the more likely I'll need subtitles myself.

#42 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

As a self-effacing half-Canadian, I quite liked that, although I prefer this scene from 30 rock for its sheer speed:

#43 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1914 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@MikkaQ said:

As a Canadian, making fun of other Canadians is all I have to cope with the fact that I live in Canada.

@BiffMcBlumpkin said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Zella: Shh, Newfoundland is an inside joke, we can't let the Americans know or they'll ruin it!

About an hour ago I was watching this on TV over here:

Their job is to shoot icebergs and collect the pieces that fall off with butterfly nets.... to sell to water bottlers (because that makes perfect sense)

So, you're too late.

Okay so subtitling that guy, THAT's offensive.

I've noticed they do it to perfectly understandable British people too. I guess some Americans have a lot of trouble with accents.

Yeah maybe that's true. Though to be fair, the father up north you go in England the more likely I'll need subtitles myself.

Ah, I suppose that's true. My Dad's from Northern England, so maybe I can hear it better since I grew up listening to the accent.

#44 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

Im Canadian and have been all over this country but I have never heard anyone call someone a hoser. Just curious if it actually happens. Didnt bother with the video but nothing offends me.

#45 Posted by LiquidPrince (15843 posts) -

I'm not offended. I don't find it funny at all though. Especially since I've never even heard someone with that accent in Canada. Although I've never been to Saskatoon so who knows.

#46 Posted by EarthBowl (164 posts) -

Anything made to ridicule "media culture" then I am all for it, but the use of Representative Canadian tropes/national references can be misleading as culturally insensitive. Personally, I thought it was more meant for comedy in the casual sense.

#47 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

I'm glad to see that "See Results" is the overwhelming winner of this poll.

#48 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4594 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Im Canadian and have been all over this country but I have never heard anyone call someone a hoser. Just curious if it actually happens. Didnt bother with the video but nothing offends me.

The term hoser came from a sketch from an old sketch show called SCTV involving Bob and Doug McKenzie. I think the sketch was called the Great White North. It's been years since I've seen it, but it was popular enough to have its own feature film - Strange Brew.

This is probably where the majority of American awareness of Canadian stereotypes come from. These guys were pretty popular in the heyday of SCTV.

#49 Posted by fetchfox (1221 posts) -

I just find it funny.

#50 Posted by xyzygy (9894 posts) -

omfg that is hilarious. Canadian here