Finding a place to live, who knew it could be so difficult...

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sjhujh

So I'm going to be starting a Masters soon, or at least I think I will be. You see I've been house hunting for the past two weeks, and so far nothing. My Course starts in two weeks and I rang the Housing Office at Sussex Uni today and they said "No, go away we have no room at the Inn" (It was much more polite than that more like "oh no sorry mate we've got no rooms")  

Now I feel like I've exhausted all possibilities and nothing. I've been on gumtree constantly and the student pad website. I've even rang within minutes of adverts going up and the response is always the same, "oh theres like 5 people coming to view the house, can you come right now?" erm... no I live in Oxford (Just for the record a couple of times I went specifically for one place or two places that sounded good, I still feel like I haven't come clean since walking into these places).  

Now you might be thinking I just have stupidly high standards (or that I'm just stupid) but I really don't. I'm a pretty laid back, average guy, I leave my fair share of dirty plates etc. I mean I was and still am a student! But these places were beyond anything I've ever seen! I went to view one place which looked student shabby from the outside. I thought this looks okay, knocked on the door. The guy who answered the door looked like Lurch from The Adams Family. He had the kind of palour that only comes from massive and consistent liver abuse the house also stank of death. I've repeated this experience twice now. So I decided from now I don't rush down to look at one or two places I go when I have three to four good places to look at. Only problem is these places go real quick. Case in point there was a beautiful place by the Royal Pavilion the girl sent me pictures we talked for ages on the phone, talked to the other house mates also. Perfect, we arranged I would come down today and sign, hand over money etc. But the landlord got annoyed the room was still empty and told them to fill the room that day, so she had to give it away...  

Worst part of all this is that because I've been spending every moment house hunting I haven't been giving my games the love they deserve! 

...and the dude from the housing office told me "yeah its a renters market, more rooms than there are renters" I think he's living in a different world to mine...