JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

Here's The Full Story

So a child in Mississippi was born to a mother who had been recently found that she was HIV positive. 30 hours after the child's birth the child was started on drugs that are typically given to people who are HIV positive. These drugs were actually given to her prior to the child officially being diagnosed with HIV because the main doctor felt that the chances of the child being HIV positive was high enough that it was worth it. It was suggested that this drug treatment worked because;

"...before [the virus] could form hideouts in the body."

This means that this treatment might lead to a cure for children diagnosed with HIV. Which is incredible.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Wait, was there ever any proof the kid had HIV? I've heard of children being born HIV free from HIV parents (mostly in a "it's a miracle", sentimental tone, though).

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JasonR86

Wait, was there ever any proof the kid had HIV? I've heard of children being born HIV free from HIV parents (mostly in a "it's a miracle", sentimental tone, though).

It was confirmed through laboratory tests after the drug treatment had been started.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Wow, that's great news.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Huge news for medicine. And a huge congratulations to that family. I bet they're just ecstatic.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn that's some really awesome news.

Lotan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Lotan

It needs to happen again, and not just once to be anything other than a theory, great for that kid though.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I just saw this on Gizmodo! Like, right now. ~ Cool, though.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Max_Cherry

It's a hint from God. Great news, indeed.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awesome news

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This certainly opens the door for having more study of possibly giving HIV-positive children more medicine faster and then even getting them off of it eventually. We'll probably see children taken off of their medication to see if they too have been cured of it, as the ending of medication is part of why they believe this is the first case. It may actually be something that has been happening in various cases for years now.

Considering how many children each year are diagnosed with HIV, this is hopeful news.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Great stuff! Hopefully the good news on this keeps coming.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NiKva

It was an infant, so that's kinda like cheating. Create a cure for an adult and maybe I'll be impressed.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By frankfartmouth

There was a case not too long ago of a guy who was cured, although the medical community has been reluctant to use that term with him. Technically, there's no trace of HIV in his blood anymore, but there's no telling whether it's going to be permanent or not.

In any event, it's coming along. Certainly a far cry from the 80s and early 90s when it was an almost immediate death sentence. Hopefully progress like this can be made on more and more maladies in the coming years. Chronic illness is the worst thing on earth.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JasonR86

@nikva said:

It was an infant, so that's kinda like cheating. Create a cure for an adult and maybe I'll be impressed.

You're a hard person to please.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

mutherfuckin' Science. Where's your God now, huh ?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a case not too long ago of a guy who was cured, although the medical community has been reluctant to use that term with him. Technically, there's no trace of HIV in his blood anymore, but there's no telling whether it's going to be permanent or not.

In any event, it's coming along. Certainly a far cry from the 80s and early 90s when it was an almost immediate death sentence. Hopefully progress like this can be made on more and more maladies in the coming years. Chronic illness is the worst thing on earth.

Yeah, they mentioned that guy in the article. He went through a really odd, non-standardized series of treatments that would be really hard to do consistently. What's great about this baby was that the drugs used were standard drugs which would be relatively easy to use with someone else.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ugh, I hate that "cured" has to be in quotes. I suppose it's another step, progress is good.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@nikva said:

The point is that it's a cure, period. It's impressive to say the least and definitely a breakthrough of some kind.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NiKva

@nikva said:

The point is that it's a cure, period. It's impressive to say the least and definitely a breakthrough of some kind.

"Curing" a disease that's in an early stage isn't exactly the same as curing a disease that's already in effect.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know if this is serious or not. I really hope religious people don't try let their God take the credit for this. I mean, religion is a pretty serious contributor to the unnecessary spread of AIDS in the developing world. Was that a hint from God to? Or do you only conviently associate good feelings with God?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JasonR86

@haffy said:

@max_cherry said:

Don't know if this is serious or not. I really hope religious people don't try let their God take the credit for this. I mean, religion is a pretty serious contributor to the unnecessary spread of AIDS in the developing world. Was that a hint from God to? Or do you only conviently associate good feelings with God?

Lets leave this whole topic free of controversy. This is something amazing we should be happy about. Lets not bring it down with calling out people's beliefs for no good reason.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@haffy said:

@max_cherry said:

what the fuck are you even talking about? what the fuck does it matter if some pastors, rabbis or imams try to spin this as god's work or not?

don't be angry teenage atheist person , it's really annoying

also, on topic, this is pretty rad

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@nikva said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

@nikva said:

"Curing" a disease that's in an early stage isn't exactly the same as curing a disease that's already in effect.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but "curing" a disease at any point should still be acknowledged. Saying you're not impressed makes all of the hard work that these scientists have done just seem pointless.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NiKva

@nikva said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

@nikva said:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but "curing" a disease at any point should still be acknowledged. Saying you're not impressed makes all of the hard work that these scientists have done just seem pointless.

and they should feel pointless, too! :P

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By crusader8463

I wonder. If they ever did completely cure all STD's if the world would go sex crazy and we all just start fucking like bunnies. I feel like there's enough solid birth control options out there that once STD's are taken off the table there's really nothing left to stop people from doing it but finding a willing partner.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wonder. If they ever did completely cure all STD's if the world would go sex crazy and we all just start fucking like bunnies. I feel like there's enough solid birth control options out there that once STD's are taken off the table there's really nothing left to stop people from doing it but finding a willing partner.

not until abortion becomes a Thing that's not shunned or looked down upon

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463:

I bet some other disease would evolve into another form of a disease that we don't have a cure for and then it would be back to where we are now.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh... theirs nothing stopping most people from fucking like bunnies now... People dont really care, as show by the fact that there are still STDs spreading.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@nikva said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

@nikva said:

@mrsignerman44 said:

@nikva said:

and they should feel pointless, too! :P

Alright I get your angle now. Take that science, neener neener neener!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JasonR86

Here's A More Detailed Article

Basically it looks like 29 days after the birth the child showed no signs of the virus in her blood. She then received regular check-ups for 18 months and then there was a 10 month gap where the mother stopped taking the child to the doctor. Being a mental health therapist I can say, at least for my clients, the hardest thing to do is to keep someone coming in when things are going well. I imagine that is what happened here but it is unclear what occurred during that 10 month period or why, officially, the mother stopped bringing her child.

After the 10 month break the mother brought her daughter back and, again, through several tests the virus was still virtually undetectable. The one significant hang up is here;

"There are no samples that can be used by other researchers to confirm the findings, which may lead skeptics to challenge how the doctors know for sure that the child was infected.

Persaud said the team is trying to use the tiny scraps of viral genetic material they have been able to gather from the child to compare with the mother's infection, to confirm that the child's infection came from her mother. But, she stressed, the baby had tested positive in two separate blood tests, and there had been evidence of the virus replicating in her blood, which are standard methods of confirming HIV infection."

So there are still questions to sort out. But it looks like the majority of people believe the child had the virus and now does not following treatment. Currently;

"The researchers are trying to find biomarkers that would offer a rationale to consider stopping therapy within the context of a clinical trial. If they can learn what caused the child to clear her virus, they hope to replicate that in other babies, and eventually learn to routinely cure infections."

crystal_maze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great since a lot of kids get HIV aids transmitted through childbirth. Good to see some hope for this.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@authenticm said:

mutherfuckin' Science. Where's your God now, huh ?

I was about to post something like this. SCIENCE!

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OfficeGamer

Cool news. So this applies to fetuses only?

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haffy said:

@max_cherry said:

People who believe in god (little g on purpose) associate anything good in life with their religion, so there will as always be the religious people claiming this in a divine interaction etc etc. But it's still a huge ass whooping from science.

Also, fellow Nufc fan, yeyy

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool news. So this applies to fetuses only?

This happened with a newborn child. The reason the drugs were started so early was that the mother had not had any treatment for her HIV virus during the pregnancy. In fact it might be that this treatment wouldn't have been as successful had the mother been taking drugs for her diagnosis prior to birth. That's still something that needs to be researched.

@haffy said:

@max_cherry said:

People who believe in god (little g on purpose) associate anything good in life with their religion, so there will as always be the religious people claiming this in a divine interaction etc etc. But it's still a huge ass whooping from science.

Also, fellow Nufc fan, yeyy

We really need to stop with this entire sub-section of comments. It's so irrelevant to the topic itself and could be really disrespectful. I'm a Christian myself and would be more offended if I didn't have a thick skin and remembered this is the internet. But I'm bugged it's even being brought up because it has nothing to do with the actual topic itself. Just drop it.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jams

@jasonr86 said:

We really need to stop with this entire sub-section of comments. It's so irrelevant to the topic itself and could be really disrespectful. I'm a Christian myself and would be more offended if I didn't have a thick skin and remembered this is the internet. But I'm bugged it's even being brought up because it has nothing to do with the actual topic itself. Just drop it.

I've started watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time and any mention of religion throws my mind in a spiral and I get all confused like I have dementia. I really need to take a break from that show to recoup my brain.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

@jasonr86 said:

I've started watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time and any mention of religion throws my mind in a spiral and I get all confused like I have dementia. I really need to take a break from that show to recoup my brain.

No Caption Provided

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

If only they could get this kind of treatment out to the third world countries that need it more then we do but can't afford it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only they could get this kind of treatment out to the third world countries that need it more then we do but can't afford it.

Hopefully they have these drugs out there. They are apparently pretty common and I imagine with all the support that is going out to heavily infected areas, like Africa, this treatment would be pretty straightforward to implement. I'm kind of worried that the prices of this drugs will increase because now their value has increased and that just seems like something a drug company would do (not that everything a drug company does is bad but doesn't that sound like a drug company thing to do?).

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Six different laboratories using the most advanced equipment and techniques available to us at this time were unable to find any trace of the virus inside the child's body, this isn't quite the same thing as a cure for HIV. It is a very important step down the long, long road to that end, though. It's possible that the child was unique in some physiological way, which combined with the drug treatment was effective in preventing the virus from getting a firm hold. One, apparently, successful test run of this treatment is a very, very important marker in the chapter of our fight against this virus.

This video sums up that sentiment better than I could.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By DarthOrange

@jasonr86 said:

I'm kind of worried that the prices of this drugs will increase because now their value has increased and that just seems like something a drug company would do (not that everything a drug company does is bad but doesn't that sound like a drug company thing to do?).

That is totally what they do, with the reason they give being that they spent a shit ton of money developing the drug and need money to develop other drugs for other stuff.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Six different laboratories using the most advanced equipment and techniques available to us at this time were unable to find any trace of the virus inside the child's body, this isn't quite the same thing as a cure for HIV. It is a very important step down the long, long road to that end, though. It's possible that the child was unique in some physiological way, which combined with the drug treatment was effective in preventing the virus from getting a firm hold. One, apparently, successful test run of this treatment is a very, very important marker in the chapter of our fight against this virus.

This video sums up that sentiment better than I could.

Yeah, in the second article I referenced they mentioned that they are trying to figure out what exactly lead to the virus leaving her body. I'm actually taking a refresher course in psychopharmacology and it's amazing what can effect how drugs work in our bodies. From metabolic rate, environment, genetics, and gene history all changes a drugs ability to work among many other factors. So there's still a chance that this kid was unique in some extraordinary way. But if they can pinpoint what specifically lead to the virus leaving her body with the treatment they could theoretically duplicate that scenario with other children.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

Wow all the people in this thread treating religion vs. science as some kind of contest are borderline retarded. They are two separate and distinct entities that we can both appreciate. One is a process, the other is a lifestyle. It's incomparable.

This is a big deal, I hope they can replicate it successfully, cause this basically seems like we stumbled on to it. I'll get really excited when this happens to multiple kids.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firstly they need the catholic church to fuck off with their "no contraception" preaching.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange said:

Firstly they need the catholic church to fuck off with their "no contraception" preaching.

No Caption Provided

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Medical science, fuck yeah. I'm going to read up on this, that's really fantastic news.

Huge news for medicine. And a huge congratulations to that family. I bet they're just ecstatic.

I can't even imagine, must be such a relief, couldn't be happier for them.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mrfluke

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange said:

I'm kind of worried that the prices of this drugs will increase because now their value has increased and that just seems like something a drug company would do (not that everything a drug company does is bad but doesn't that sound like a drug company thing to do?).

forgive the cynicism

but what also sounds like what the bad drug companies would do is censor this cure from the masses in favor of the "incremental cures" that they can milk people for $$$