#1 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

Duders.

Today marks the first time a homosexual couple wed in France. And that's great! However, there was a huge uproar and about 400.000 anti-gay activists demonstrated against the marriage. And that makes me think, what the fuck is wrong with those people? If two people love each other, why the hell shouldn't they be allowed to marry?

I'm so fucking dissapointed in the world we live in. Who fucking cares if someone wants to spend their lives togheter? Why do some people think it's any of their business?

Before I met my current girlfriend, I didn't have any gay friends, but she has gay friends of both genders, and now I count them among my best friends. And guess what? They're people. Normal human beings who want to be able to show their love for each other. It just fucking angers me that people are denied to show their affection, just because some inbred, no-life, insecure morons with problems in their own marriage deny them that privelege.

I just had to vent, because this really got me riled up. Let's stand up and just kick homophobia out of society. We're supposed to be better than this, and let's pledge that on this site, we will be.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

People should try not being bigots.

#3 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

k

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -

Disliking gay people and/or getting upset about the definitions of words (namely 'marriage') seems so pointless to me. What's the end goal of all that hate? What do you 'win' by disliking people? That doesn't make them go away. And fuck words. The meanings of words change constantly so who fucking cares?

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9581 posts) -

This is not a case of racism. That would require race to be involved.

Legion, how old are you for real and for true?

Also I would tell gay folk the same thing I tell straight folk; don't get married.

#6 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

Ok, that's nice. There will always be People who will always oppose stuff like this. Today it's gay marriage. Tomorrow it's... cyber implants, or something. They have a right to do so, as protected under liberal democratic constitutions granting the right to free speech.

#7 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

I don't think you understand what racism is.

#8 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Doesn't matter what your opinion is on homosexuality or marriage. What the fuck does it matter to you if two dudes want to get married? Fucking mind your own business.

#9 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (910 posts) -

Title should read "angers scumbags"

#10 Edited by BaconGames (3291 posts) -

I wonder what socio-historical precedent exists in France compared to the US's standby excuse of religious intolerance toward homosexuals that led to this. Unless the response is not out of the ordinary for any general population confronted with homosexuals in their society coupled with the lack of normality with homosexual marriage. Hard to say.

I remember being equally confused though when France made a controversial move by banning a certain form of Islamic dress for women under the premise that it was repressive for those women, when less than 80,000 Muslim women were living in France at the time (or wearing them, I can't remember). Basically overproportional response to that stuff.

Not saying its surprising or unfounded but interesting to hear the way a lot of the same principles of "me not like the thing people are!" abroad. Again, it makes sense because heterosexual norms are something people become attached to and marriage, especially when associated with a sacred mode of religion that forbids it as well, is an institutional manifestation of a society's collective sexual norms and beliefs. If this is the first time France has had a homosexual marriage, then that screams "examine its contemporary social history for more details" but I currently have no interest in doing so at the moment.

#11 Posted by cheishxc (92 posts) -

The church should have no say in people's legal rights. The path to marriage should go solely through the government, and the government should come out and say that ANY two people (male/male, male/female, female/female) can be married by law with the same legal rights, protections, and privileges that entails. From there, the church can say whatever they want. If they want to bless that union or condemn it is their choice but regardless it has no bearing on the status of the people involved.

People are people it doesn't matter what color their skin is, where they're from, or who they're attracted. They're entitled to our love, respect, and understanding both as friends and as strangers. It's such a basic concept but treat others you want to be treated. You don't want your rights taken away? Don't take away someone else's rights.

#12 Edited by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

Ok, that's nice. There will always be People who will always oppose stuff like this. Today it's gay marriage. Tomorrow it's... cyber implants, or something. They have a right to do so, as protected under liberal democratic constitutions granting the right to free speech.

They have the right to protest, not to protest violently. Which is what many, many people have been doing in France recently.

Still, they are protesting against some people having the same right as everyone else solely because of their sexual orientation. Protesting against it may be as much as constitutionally protected as you want, but I think that it's pretty fucked up that in 2013 we're still so insensitive about the injustices committed against our own peers. Just my 2 cents, obviously.

#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

#religion

#14 Edited by JasonR86 (9605 posts) -
#15 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

Poor bigots. I feel for them. I really do. They have it so hard being in the overwhelming majority that is heterosexuality.

It's astounding that supposedly secular democracies are still allowing laws that are clearly rooted in religious principles to be enforced.

Believe what you want. Despite my own Atheism, I'm fine with people believing in a deity. It's their choice. But don't attempt to make me live under the laws of your religious doctrine.

Oh and, this isn't racism. It's homophobia and religious zealotry.

#16 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6287 posts) -

Gay.

#17 Posted by Vinny_Says (5685 posts) -

nah bruv europe is the most progressive place on earth, it's always peaceful and everyone is respectful of everyone else there. This is obviously just more anti-europe propaganda....

#18 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

Ooooh, so this is racism. The more you know.

#19 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Also I would tell gay folk the same thing I tell straight folk; don't get married.

Where I come from, the word racism has a much larger definition. Sorta how like indie has become a genre. Still, that's semantics, and I'll change it if it bothers you that much, or if you didn't get my point.

And I turned 21 earlier this month. Can't really see how that's relevant. And if people want to get married, they should be able to do so, no matter their sexual orientation.

#20 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

Oh so true. At least same sex couples can double their wardrobe.

#21 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -
#22 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

insecure morons with problems in their own marriage deny them that privelege.. Ha ha ha. If you think marriage is a privilege, you really are 21. Ha ha ha now I really want to shoot you in RDR. Marriage is a prison son.

#23 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -

Out of all the things to anger anti-gay activists you would think a gay marriage would be up there, why are you surprised they protested?

#24 Edited by Brodehouse (9581 posts) -

@legion_: Where you come from, people do not use the English language properly. Also it's not a semantic point, it's a pedantic one. A semantic point would be if you called it gaybashing and I said 'no it's actually bigotry!'

The more you know.

#25 Edited by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

@bacongames: France has a very large Muslim population so i bet it was more then 80,000 women who wore hijabs. That being said it is still a strange law, though i sort of see where it came from... sort of?

#26 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Wow, look at this:

On May 21, a well-known right-wing historian and essayist, Dominique Venner, who had described the law allowing same-sex marriage and adoption as "detestable," died after shooting himself inside Paris' famed Notre Dame Cathedral, which was full of tourists and worshipers. In a letter he placed on the altar before pulling out a gun, the 78-year-old Venner wrote: "I offer what remains of my life in an act of protest."

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-france-first-same-sex-marriage-20130529,0,4295249.story

Christians still latch onto an Old Testement law like killing "a man that lies with another man" but will ignore other laws like not shaving the sides of your head, mixing the fabrics in the clothes you wear, or eating shell fish, not because they actually give a shit about the book they try to follow, but because homosexuality is still considered culturally wrong where they were raised. They don't follow the Bible to the letter and they don't follow the so-called loving spirit of the Bible. They are people constantly at war with themselves and the contradictions within their own mind. I know. I use to be there.

#27 Edited by Toxin066 (3254 posts) -

Marriage through the church, union through the government. Union for all. Should be this way for the gays, the straights, the blacks, the whites, the atheists, the believers.

As for the protestors, isn't that what you're supposed to do when you disagree with something? Protest it?

#28 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

They have a right to protest peacefully, not violently. We also have the right to laugh and mock those who oppose gay marriage for their silly reasons.

#30 Posted by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

@legion_: Where you come from, people do not use the English language properly. Also it's not a semantic point, it's a pedantic one. A semantic point would be if you called it gaybashing and I said 'no it's actually bigotry!'

The more you know.

If you're not going to contribute to the thread, then why post at all? It's a pretty serious matter, and I'm not interested in having you stinking up the thread with something that has no relevance. Thank you.

@marcsman said:

insecure morons with problems in their own marriage deny them that privelege.. Ha ha ha. If you think marriage is a privilege, you really are 21. Ha ha ha now I really want to shoot you in RDR. Marriage is a prison son.

This thread is not about wether or not marriage is a good thing, it's about equal rights. So I'd appriciate it you either contribute in a real way, or just don't post at all.

#31 Posted by JayEH (516 posts) -

Just because you don't agree with gay marriage, doesn't make you a homophob.

#32 Edited by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@brodehouse said:

The more you know.

If you're not going to contribute to the thread, then why post at all? It's a pretty serious matter, and I'm not interested in having you stinking up the thread with something that has no relevance. Thank you.

@marcsman said:

This thread is not about wether or not marriage is a good thing, it's about equal rights. So I'd appriciate it you either contribute in a real way, or just don't post at all.

Once again. They are no equal rights in marriage. You have a lot to learn young padawan. Ha ha ha

#33 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@arbitrarywater said:

They have the right to protest, not to protest violently. Which is what many, many people have been doing in France recently.

Still, they are protesting against some people having the same right as everyone else solely because of their sexual orientation. Protesting against it may be as much as constitutionally protected as you want, but I think that it's pretty fucked up that in 2013 we're still so insensitive about the injustices committed against our own peers. Just my 2 cents, obviously.

If they're protesting violently then they are no longer protected under the law. If we want to really say that we live in a country with freedom of speech then we have to let bigots like these have their say (in a non-violent manner, obviously). I was just pointing out that before this thread turned into... whatever these threads always turn into.

#34 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@jayeh said:

I see it as homophobic. You are denying a group of people a right that everyone else has, for no other reason than them being gay. They discriminate based on sexual orientation, and that's basically the definition of homophobia.

#36 Posted by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

@joeyravn said:

@arbitrarywater said:

If they're protesting violently then they are no longer protected under the law. If we want to really say that we live in a country with freedom of speech then we have to let bigots like these have their say (in a non-violent manner, obviously). I was just pointing out that before this thread turned into... whatever these threads always turn into.

I like how you're speaking about the American constitution in a thread about France.

#37 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

#religion

if it was literally just religion, Japan would have gay marriage, China would have gay marriage, Estonia would have gay marriage...

#38 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@joeyravn said:

@arbitrarywater said:

I like how you're speaking about the American constitution in a thread about France.

Yeah, I don't know shit about France. But they probably have the right to protest, right?

#39 Edited by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

@animasta said:

@alexw00d said:

#religion

if it was literally just religion, Japan would have gay marriage, China would have gay marriage, Estonia would have gay marriage...

#jokesgoingoverpeoplesheads

#40 Edited by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

I'm against gay marriage and being gay , and I hate the fact that GB(the place I love the most) are with it . It's a sin , fact .Just saying ...

Whatevs ...

Out of pure curiosity is the same sex couple a sin or is it the sodomy?

#41 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@joeyravn said:

@arbitrarywater said:

You are aware that of 207 sovereign states in the world, about 180 of them have free speech? And that includes France.

#42 Edited by Abendlaender (2759 posts) -

Rargh...other people being happy without influencing me in the slightest makes me so angry! Must.....protest...against people being happy!

#43 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

#44 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

@animasta said:

@alexw00d said:

#religion

#jokesgoingoverpeoplesheads

it's hard to tell with you D:

#45 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

I'm against gay marriage and being gay , and I hate the fact that GB(the place I love the most) are with it . It's a sin , fact .Just saying ...

Whatevs ...

And why are you against? Let's just get one logical explanation.

#46 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@legion_ said:

@jayeh said:

I see it as homophobic. You are denying a group of people a right that everyone else has, for no other reason than them being gay. They discriminate based on sexual orientation, and that's basically the definition of homophobia.

You are not denying anything. You just have a different opinion. You do not even hurt people with your opinion. Personally everyone should be able to marry the one he loves. And it doesn't matter if both are of the same gender or not. However I see it a bit more problematic when we go about stuff like adopting a kid.

#47 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@darji said:

@legion_ said:

@jayeh said:

You are not denying anything. You just have a different opinion. You do not even hurt people with your opinion. Personally everyone should be able to marry the one he loves. And it doesn't matter if both are of the same gender or not. However I see it a bit more problematic when we go about stuff like adopting a kid.

there are studies that show there's nothing wrong with same sex adoption actually!

also marriage brings rights, and denying gay marriages denies rights to people.

#48 Posted by Brodehouse (9581 posts) -

@legion_: @arbitrarywater: @mcghee:

McGhee, I'm not being a dick, I'm telling the truth, and informing another about language. Is that an issue?

Arbitrary, actually they remain 'protected' under law even when they break the law. They merely lose access to some, but they are not necessarily 'unprotected'. Though I completely agree with your thesis. I will defend that bigot asshole Fred Phelps' right to say whatever nonsense he wants. And everyone else's right to ignore him and continue living in free society. Or even to yell back.

Legion, I am contributing. That you don't appreciate my contributions is your trip, not mine.

#49 Edited by Legion_ (1254 posts) -

@darji said:

@legion_ said:

@jayeh said:

Protestors often get what they want, and that directly denies same-sex marriage several places. And I don't see any problem with a gay couple adopting a kid. At least they have to be deemed worthy and capable, unlike a lot of other parents who put kids in this world, only to neglect and abuse them.

#50 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Whatevs ...

Funny from a guy calling himself "spankingaddict."