• 53 results
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

#1  Edited By falconer

20 years old and I still haven't held a job... blegh. But yeah, I'm going out to Universal Studios tomorrow for an interview. Any tips? Do's and don'ts?

McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By McSmunions

do: dress appropriately.

don't: dress like a bum.

that's all i got.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By BrittonPeele

When they say, "Dress for the job you want," it doesn't mean to show up dressed as Hugh Heffner.

Other than that, I would just say to be confident.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By falconer

Heh, yeah, I know to not dress like a bum.

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

Some good ones: 
Have a question for the interviewer.  Maybe "What do you think helped you get to where you are?" or something along those lines.  People like to talk about themselves and it makes you sound driven. 

Manners, dress apporpriately 

BE ON TIME 

Have an extra copy of your resume/transcript/id/whatever else you need to bring 

Answer honestly, don't be afraid to say, "Hmm, good question" think for 5 seconds, then give a good answer, much better than just blurting out something stupid. 

Confidence helps.  I am sure you will do fine!  Also, although I have no idea how one gets to 20 without working, it is never too late to start!

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By deanoxd
@Sargus said:

" Other than that, I would just say to be confident. "

this is key to a good interview, without coming off as cocky. you are eager to learn but confident that you can do the job.

don't chew gum, a good firm hand shake, don;t make jokes, but don't be overly serious. 

and above all else don't be late get there at least 15 mins early. 

those are my tips.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Think long and hard about what you're going to ask them when they say "Do you have any questions for us", just don't mention anything about salary or days off or the such. And DO NOT say you have nothing to ask.

Back when I used to work for people other than myself, I'd always ask things like "What are the top three expectations you have for the person filling the position for which I'm applying?" Stuff like that.  

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

If it's for the job I'm thinking you're applying for...don't be a dumbass and tell them you'll write a book about it a year or two down the road (no pun intended).  

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By themangalist

Smile. CONFIDENCE!

read a bit about company history.

CONFIDENCE!

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Tolman

no pants. thats how i got my job.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kishan6
@KaosAngel: what job?
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falconer
@Fajita_Jim: Yeah, I think that's my main thing. I don't want to go in and get no information out of the interviewer. I guess I should bring a notebook or something then, and think of some questions between now and tomorrow afternoon.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

dress to impress. don't give one word answers. say something about the question.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By mesklinite

Yeah, like someone else said, don't be afraid to pause to answer a question. If you aren't sure, tell them, don't bull shit. But you can say, I'm not quite sure, but if I were to do it, I'd do "add sentence".

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By falconer
@KaosAngel: I've already forgotten the proper name for the position, but it's for making sure people are shuffling along in an orderly fashion at the rides, basically. Checking people's lap bars, and what have you.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Famov

Unless you think you can pull it off really well, no facial hair. A fresh hair cut can also help. My buddy went to do an interview with the worlds worst beard and he didn't get the job.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mmmslash

Make absolutely positive you smell nice. You can look professional as hell, but people have a higher opinion of people who smell lovely.

Don't overdue it, of course.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By falconer
@Famov: Already shaved. May do a once over before I go if my shadow gets too heavy by then.  

@Mmmslash: I'm always self-conscious of how I smell. At least when my day starts. I don't think this is the sort of job that warrants a tie sort of get up, but I will wear "my Sunday best", if you will.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Mmmslash said:
" Make absolutely positive you smell nice. You can look professional as hell, but people have a higher opinion of people who smell lovely.  Don't overdue it, of course. "
DO NOT wear cologne or perfurme or whatever. Many people have allergies to these and you may turn your interviewer into a puffy, barely-human miserable mess by the time it's over. Some good shampoo and deodorant are fine.
samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By samfo

if they ask you if you have any questions, ask one. Try and make it about the role you will be performing,

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By falconer
@Fajita_Jim: @SamFo: Roger that.
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By nick_verissimo

My only advice from what hasn't been mentioned already is to make it clear that you are team player, but also a leader.  Interviewers tend to eat that shit up.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@SamFo said:
" if they ask you if you have any questions, ask one. Try and make it about the role you will be performing, "
No, you need to ask 3-5 in all honesty. Just don't ask the same question twice in different fashion.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
@kishan6 said:
" @KaosAngel: what job? "
Watch an episode of Top Gear and you'll figure it out.  :P
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Act like you own the place, talk down to the interviewer, do not be afraid to get in their face. Show no fear.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By falconer
@nick_verissimo said:
" My only advice from what hasn't been mentioned already is to make it clear that you are team player, but also a leader.  Interviewers tend to eat that shit up. "

Yeah, I think I have a good, recent example of that. 

@KaosAngel said:
" @kishan6 said:
" @KaosAngel: what job? "
Watch an episode of Top Gear and you'll figure it out.  :P "
Oh, laaaawl.
ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryoma122

always look the people in the eye and for the love of god have confidence in ur self since if you cant they how are they

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By EVHKwick

Ask questions about the company. Good questions, not anything that can be answered by browsing the website. 

Also, and arguably more important: Sweat confidence. Know you're the best fit for that job.

Blackmoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Blackmoore

If there are ambiguous questions, don't be afraid to ask for clarification.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By falconer
@ryoma122 said:
" always look the people in the eye and for the love of god have confidence in ur self since if you cant they how are they "
@hack745 said:
" Ask questions about the company. Good questions, not anything that can be answered by browsing the website.  Also, and arguably more important: Sweat confidence. Know you're the best fit for that job. "

Gotcha. I'll listen to Rush on the way there so I feel nothing but fucking awesome when I walk in the doors.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hot_Karl

Be chill and most definitely be yourself. Ask questions (not a lot, but enough to show that you are actively interested in the interview & the company/position you're interested in). When you get asked questions, answer to the best of your abilities, and try to present yourself as a positive, punctual team player who is not afraid to take on individual work if needed.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By falconer

Even though I have no prior job experience, should I bring in a resume? Like of my educational accomplishments, and contact information (even though they already have it from when I applied).

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
@ShaggyChu: Yes.  It always looks good and try to be a little unique but not too unique.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hot_Karl
@ShaggyChu said:
" Even though I have no prior job experience, should I bring in a resume? Like of my educational accomplishments, and contact information (even though they already have it from when I applied). "
Eh, I'd skip it, unless you had some previous jobs or volunteer work (or if you were in student government or president of a club, accomplishments like that). Seems unnecessary to me. 
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I would not bring a resume for universal studios

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By falconer
@VinceNotVance said:
" @ShaggyChu said:
" Even though I have no prior job experience, should I bring in a resume? Like of my educational accomplishments, and contact information (even though they already have it from when I applied). "
Eh, I'd skip it, unless you had some previous jobs or volunteer work (or if you were in student government or president of a club, accomplishments like that). Seems unnecessary to me.  "
Well I graduated from my high school's engineering magnet program, which I think might be worth mentioning, so that's why. I also had to do an internship for it. I'm a little reluctant to mention that though because I no longer have their contact information. Not to mention they probably don't remember me... (two and a half years ago, and they get a lot of interns in there).
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Afroman269

This popped into mind when I saw this thread 

RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RaoulDo0k
@ShaggyChu said:
" @VinceNotVance said:
" @ShaggyChu said:
Eh, I'd skip it, unless you had some previous jobs or volunteer work (or if you were in student government or president of a club, accomplishments like that). Seems unnecessary to me.  "
Well I graduated from my high school's engineering magnet program, which I think might be worth mentioning, so that's why. I also had to do an internship for it. I'm a little reluctant to mention that though because I no longer have their contact information. Not to mention they probably don't remember me... (two and a half years ago, and they get a lot of interns in there). "
If they don't have it bring it. At the very least they can keep it on file if they don't give you the job, and possibly call you later if another one opens up. 

The most important thing is to be sound confident in what you're saying. Even if it's utter bullshit. Like if they ask you "Where do you see yourself in 5-years?" Don't answer with "Not working in this shithole!" Even if that's what you believe. Make something up, sound good. Honestly just be prepared to answer whatever they ask even if you don't know. It's much better to say "Give me a second to think about that," and come back with a good response than to say "I don't know," and leave it at that.
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MisterChief
@ShaggyChu said:
" 20 years old and I still haven't held a job... blegh. But yeah, I'm going out to Universal Studios tomorrow for an interview. Any tips? Do's and don'ts? "
I'm 20, have never had a job and also have my first interview tomorrow. Weird.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By falconer
@RaoulDo0k said:
" @ShaggyChu said:
" @VinceNotVance said:
" @ShaggyChu said:
Well I graduated from my high school's engineering magnet program, which I think might be worth mentioning, so that's why. I also had to do an internship for it. I'm a little reluctant to mention that though because I no longer have their contact information. Not to mention they probably don't remember me... (two and a half years ago, and they get a lot of interns in there). "
If they don't have it bring it. At the very least they can keep it on file if they don't give you the job, and possibly call you later if another one opens up.  The most important thing is to be sound confident in what you're saying. Even if it's utter bullshit. Like if they ask you "Where do you see yourself in 5-years?" Don't answer with "Not working in this shithole!" Even if that's what you believe. Make something up, sound good. Honestly just be prepared to answer whatever they ask even if you don't know. It's much better to say "Give me a second to think about that," and come back with a good response than to say "I don't know," and leave it at that. "
Well my application stays in their system for 90 days, so I guess that's another reason to not look like an ass by bringing a dinky one. 

But expect the unexpected, eh? Righto.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falconer
@MisterChief said:
" @ShaggyChu said:
" 20 years old and I still haven't held a job... blegh. But yeah, I'm going out to Universal Studios tomorrow for an interview. Any tips? Do's and don'ts? "
I'm 20, have never had a job and also have my first interview tomorrow. Weird. "
Dude...
Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Franstone

Don't tell them you are 20 and still never had a job... 
Hah! 

I actually wanted to give some good advice but I'm too drunk. 

A quick few... 
Be yourself, unless you suck. 
Be confident but not cocky. No1 wants to work w/ a d-bag.
Make eye contact. 
(Yes dress appropriately) 
Do your research about the company and have questions ready in return. 
Be early. 

Good luck! 
Gotta go, time to watch The Walking Dead...
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zeforgotten

Be yourself and relax.  
Then when the time comes TAKE OVER EVERYTHING!.. 
What?

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mars_Cleric

So there are other 20 year olds who haven't had real jobs, I thought I was the only one 
Unfortunately I have to do work experience in order to get my engineering degree so I have to get a job at some point 
Good luck mate, hope it goes well
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hot_Karl

Your internship thingy would definitely be something you'd put on a resume, so I'd go for it in that case. 

Just wondering, Universal Studios in LA ("Hollywood"), Florida or one of those weird ones in Not-America?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By teh_destroyer

look good and be good, as everyone else has said, respect the person who is also interviewing you.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By falconer
@VinceNotVance said:
" Your internship thingy would definitely be something you'd put on a resume, so I'd go for it in that case.  Just wondering, Universal Studios in LA ("Hollywood"), Florida or one of those weird ones in Not-America? "
Florida. It's about 40 minutes away from me, but I haven't been able to find anything super close. I got an email back the next day I sent in my application so that felt pretty awesome. Previously I would either get nothing, or something a week later telling me to buzz off.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#48  Edited By wefwefasdf

1. Make sure you give a strong handshake when offered.  
2. Look them in the eyes while. Or in between their eyes if you don't like to look directly. 
3. Speak strongly and try to mimic their body language. 

All those things will make you appear confident and likable. Most people who do interviews are rather nice so just have a good time.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Dany

Be honest, say that you don't know how something works or how you would go about doing something but you are willing and able to learn

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai
@ShaggyChu: This is the best advice I can give you. 

I know it doesn't help but I couldn't resist the chance.