First PC build advice (yeah, another one of those)

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey duders! Sorry if you're sick of these threads, and please disregard if you are, but I'm looking for some feedback on my perspective first real build and trust this community for some honest help.

It's for my girlfriend who doesn't really need super gaming performance (only really plays Sims 3, but maaaan does she play it), but I wanted something that could handle relatively high end graphics if necessary for a mid-level price.

Any advice is welcome. THANKS A TON!

-----

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kD4j

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($95.38 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($48.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Cooler Master i500 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $512.31

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OldManLight

yeah that'll be plenty for the sims 3 and she could even run more current graphics intensive games like far cry 3 on med-high settings. i had a single hd 7770 and it ran most current stuff pretty well with some framerate dips here and there on highest settings. picked up a second one on the cheap and running them in crossfire mode and now my games are super smooth on high settings at 1080p.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@oldmanlight: Thanks for the comment. After seeing some glowing reviews I got a 7770 for myself a few months ago and even with relatively mediocre 6+ year old everything else (2.1Ghz dual-core CPU, 4gig RAM) I can run recent games at crazy high res with pretty good FPS. Playing X-Com now with settings maxed and it runs smooth. I love that card! ;)

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Looks good. Checks out compatibility-wise. Seems like it'll handle what you need it to just fine. And you can always upgrade your GPU for a couple hundred bucks sometime down the line if you ever find it to be lacking.

And now I kinda want to play some Sims.