#1 Posted by Pahn121 (25 posts) -

Honestly at a loss. Other than the normal touristy things, no idea what to do.

#2 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Fake your own death.

#3 Posted by Pahn121 (25 posts) -

Its perfect.

Almost too perfect.

#4 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -

Go to Nintendo World!

#5 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

depends on your interests. There are many different thing you could do.

#6 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

What part of New York?

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Kill a hooker, steal a car, drive it into the harbor.

#8 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Stay inside and play videogames.

#9 Edited by GalacticGravy (548 posts) -

Go to the Museum of Sex on E27th and 5th ave.

Edit: also, if you're looking for the best pizza place in the city (everyone has their favorite) check out "Sal and Carmine's" at w96th and Broadway. Slices are huge and it has the most perfect crust I've ever had. Little pricier than other places though but don't let that throw you. It's small, too, but I like that.

#10 Posted by TeamJersey (340 posts) -

@Pahn121: Are you legally old enough to walk into an establishment and purchase alcoholic beverages?

#11 Posted by DillonWerner (1528 posts) -

Drink!

#12 Posted by awesomeusername (4184 posts) -

Why would you want to come to this dump? Stay in Manhattan, that's the city part. Bronx and Brooklyn are a no go zone.

#13 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

Start a family there and then abandon them forever.

#14 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

@Pahn121: Go to 53rd and 6th Ave and look for a cart of people selling Halaal chicken (and/or lamb) and rice. Make sure you put a lot of that white, tzatziki sauce on it, a few drops of hot sauce and it'll be the best cart meal you'll ever have.

There'll be a really long line most likely, but it's definitely worth it!

#15 Posted by Wacomole (819 posts) -

Lock yourself in your hotel room, barricade the door with your mattress and sit in the corner of the room weeping as you await the impending zombie apocalypse.

#16 Posted by poopypants (13 posts) -

go to video games new york. its near astor place. best game store that i've ever been to. they have it all and the dudes that work there are down to earth and sexy

http://www.videogamesnewyork.com/

#17 Posted by triviaman09 (802 posts) -

If you're into museums, NYC has a lot of obvious great ones and you should see them. If not, I'd recommend just hanging out in Central Park for a while, walk around in a neighborhood, eat at a restaurant that looks interesting. I've lived in the city for 3 years now and still have fun just walking around.

#18 Posted by TooSweet (387 posts) -

Yep, Video Games New York is a cool spot. It's pretty much a video game museum in some ways. Pricey games but some cool stuff to pick up if you look around. There is also 8-bit and up on St Marks Pl. just a few blocks north near 2nd Ave on the 2nd floor. This spot isn't bad for a quick eat: http://www.pommesfrites.ws/

Good pizza in NY but avoid stuff like S'barros. That stuff is gross. I'd avoid most Ray's Pizza as well. Comic shops there is Jim Hanley's Universe on 33rd Street and Manhattan Comics has like 3 locations. Several other comic shops like Forbidden Planet, St Marks Comics and Roger's Time Machine but the first two are the most popular. If you do make a trip to Brooklyn check out Barcade. Lots of classic arcade machines.

Museums worth a look is MoMA the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Museum of Natural History.

#19 Posted by xxNBxx (973 posts) -

@l4wd0g said:

What part of New York?

Anyone outside of NY that says NYC are talking about Manhattan, cause that's what they think NYC is. A lot don't realize that NYC is made up of 5 borrows and Manhattan is just one of the five. When people ask me where I am from I don't tell them I am from Staten Island. I tell them I am from NYC, cause if I did they would be "Where the hell is that?"

On topic, depends on how much time you have, what you like to do, and how much of a foodie you are.

If your going to the Empire State Building, and like comics you should check out Jim Hanley's Universe ( 4 West 33rd St.) that's right across the street. If your into board games and pen and paper roll playing, down the block from there (11 East 33rd Street) Is The Compleat Strategist.

Going to China town? If you are, your probably going to eat. Spicy food? Go to Grand Sichuan (125 Canal St) Like Rost Pork and noodles? Go to NY Noodletown, (28 Bowery). Another option is Wo Hop (17 Mott St) Great food there. Then If you want something sweet go to Tai Pan Bakery (194 Canal Street) and get yourself some Don Tots (egg custard tart) pro tip: ask for it as Don Tots otherwise you might not get it. I will say I have not been to any of these places in a few years so things might have changed. Also don't ever expect great service in china town, unless you speak Cantonese.

#20 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (666 posts) -

I echo the Video Games New York sentiments. Living in NY my whole life I'll tell you there's infinite things to do in Manhattan, so it's near impossible to recommend stuff sometimes. I'll put in a pizza place as well, L'asso (192 Mott Street), it's pretty awesome and has been on Food Network a few times and is very different in tone from 99 percent of pizza places, it's got a hip, arty quality to it compared to most Italian-themed pizza places (and right next to it is the famous Lombordi's Pizza, the first ever Pizzeria).

As for museums in my opinion you HAVE to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art, unbelievably big with art from every corner of the world. And if you've never seen dinosaurs before there's also Natural History Museum, but overall I'd say its just okay outside of the dinosaurs.

Also, depending on how old you are I guess, Brooklyn's a pretty happening places right now and there's a TON of great places to eat and hang out popping up over there. One of my faves is Barcade and Union Pool, right near each other. But be careful because only a couple areas of Brooklyn are built up, the rest can be quite quite quite sketchy so if you head over there know where you're going first.

#21 Posted by PenguinDust (12515 posts) -

The Museum of Natural History. See some dinosaurs.

#22 Posted by TooSweet (387 posts) -

Recently me and a bunch of friends did the Cuban Challenge Sandwich 2012. We made it up cause we were all talking about our favorite Cuban Sandwiches and everyone seemed to have the best. One of the better places Near Chinatown/Little Italy is Cafe Habana. A bit of a wait but it's worth it. Also order the corn cob with the seasonings on it. I think I may have to make a trip there. For desert just a couple of blocks away is Rice to Riches. Think of it as the Baskin Robbins of Rice Pudding. Amazing stuff. You can sample the different flavors too.

#23 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

@xxNBxx said:

@l4wd0g said:

What part of New York?

Anyone outside of NY that says NYC are talking about Manhattan, cause that's what they think NYC is. A lot don't realize that NYC is made up of 5 borrows and Manhattan is just one of the five. When people ask me where I am from I don't tell them I am from Staten Island. I tell them I am from NYC, cause if I did they would be "Where the hell is that?"

On topic, depends on how much time you have, what you like to do, and how much of a foodie you are.

If your going to the Empire State Building, and like comics you should check out Jim Hanley's Universe ( 4 West 33rd St.) that's right across the street. If your into board games and pen and paper roll playing, down the block from there (11 East 33rd Street) Is The Compleat Strategist.

Going to China town? If you are, your probably going to eat. Spicy food? Go to Grand Sichuan (125 Canal St) Like Rost Pork and noodles? Go to NY Noodletown, (28 Bowery). Another option is Wo Hop (17 Mott St) Great food there. Then If you want something sweet go to Tai Pan Bakery (194 Canal Street) and get yourself some Don Tots (egg custard tart) pro tip: ask for it as Don Tots otherwise you might not get it. I will say I have not been to any of these places in a few years so things might have changed. Also don't ever expect great service in china town, unless you speak Cantonese.

Phoenix is the same way. I only ask because my wife and I are going to Brooklyn for 2 days (we're change airports for an international flight). I was hoping to find something to do while we waited. Thanks for the tips for I know I'll be using them.

#24 Posted by kickinthehead (71 posts) -

@Pahn121:

"Basic" ramen at Minca, plain bagel with cream cheese, fresh lox, tomato and onion at Ess-a-Bagel, slice of pizza at Joe's, falafel at Mamoun's.five dumplings for $1 here, a banh mi at Saigon, curry at GoGo Curry.

I should probably eat dinner now.

#25 Posted by Pahn121 (25 posts) -

Good lord.

Didn't expect such a wealth of replies.

For those asking about my location,our hotel is in SoHo.

I definitely want to try and find my way over to Barcade. Much drinking to be had this weekend,

Also, the night we get there, the Los Straightjackets are playing close to the hotel, so there's that too.

Thanks for all the replies, I now have a flurry of things to present to my travel companions to be shot down!

#26 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

.......Silly Caucasian girl likes to play with Samurai swords.

#27 Edited by Pahn121 (25 posts) -

Kill Bill?

New York....

Kill

Giantbomb.

YOU WANT ME TO RECREATE THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME WITH ALEX?!

#28 Posted by Korwin (2864 posts) -

I hear hooker murder is pretty big these days.

#29 Posted by awesomeusername (4184 posts) -

@xxNBxx said:

You're absolutely correct. Everyone who isn't from here just think NY is one big beautiful city. I like to teach them otherwise. This state is probably the only place in the world that uses the word borough because no one ever knows what the word is. Everyone's been brainwashed to believe the whole state of NY is just one big Manhattan.

#30 Posted by awesomeusername (4184 posts) -

@Pahn121 said:

For those asking about my location,our hotel is in SoHo.

I definitely want to try and find my way over to Barcade. Much drinking to be had this weekend,

Just go to a bar (and stay) in Manhattan. Brooklyn isn't really a place a tourist would like to see. Also, your going to see a lot of people begging in the trains, or dancing, singing, or selling candy. Just look the other way.

#31 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

@Pahn121: There's a barcade in Jersey City, too, which might be a shorter trip than to Brooklyn depending where in downtown Manhattan/midtown you might be at a given moment! We're basically on our own subway system that goes to WTC and 33rd St.

#32 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

Here's what I remember being a good idea to do, since I did the tourist-y stuff

• Walk along the High Line. It's great. Then at the end, eat an enormous ice-cream sandwich with edible paper.
  • Go literally anywhere in Central Park.
  • Look around the NY Public Library. Crazy place.
  • Visit Apollo Theatre in Harlem, or just Harlem. Neat place. Also look at the buildings, some of them are really nice.
  • Walk around Brooklyn a bit. Pretty cool place. Also see if the superhero store is open.
  • Visit one of the however-many museums there are, almost all are amazing, from memory.
  • Go to Grand Central and find the spot under a walkway where you can whisper in one corner and it'll be heard in another. Also, eat clam chowder.
  • Visit the Nintendo Store, the M&M store, the Lego store, any store which appears devoted to a single brand, for the sheer audacity they have to devote an entire store to themselves.
  • Eat at a diner or diner-esque place, they're better than expected. The breakfast burrito at AJ's I had was good. Also, southern food at Daisy May's was astoundingly good, one of the better meals I've ever had.

That's what I've got for now, anyway, Mr

#33 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -