#1 Edited by Demoskinos (13876 posts) -

So I just came across this story. And holy crap. This is crazy. I wonder how many people over there have never seen snow in their lives. Judging by the pictures in the article seems everyone is really enjoying their brief flirt with traditional winter weather. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/13/cairo-snow_n_4441049.html

Cairo has been transformed into a winter wonderland after a "historic" storm in the Middle East brought a rare treat to Egypt's capital Friday: a blanket of powdery, white snow.

Due to Cairo's low rate of precipitation and typically above-freezing winter temperatures, snow is an exceptionally unusual weather phenomenon for the North African city. So unusual, in fact, that the Los Angeles Times, citing local news reports, writes that the last recorded snowfall in Cairo was more than 100 years ago.

Ali Abdelazim, an official at the city's meteorological centre, confirmed to the Agence France-Presse this is the "first time in very many years" that snow has fallen in the Cairo area.

Excited Egytians took to social media Friday to share photographs of the unusual meteorological event.

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (7669 posts) -

This is cool for Cairo, but uh... this is by no means the first time in 100 years snow has fallen in the Middle East. It snows regularly in many parts of the Middle East. Sometimes quite a lot. Cairo just isn't one of those places due to its particular geography.

For example: Here is some fun snow in Israel.

#3 Edited by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

GLOBAL WARMING

#4 Posted by Crembaw (240 posts) -

I can't remember, was the last time due to Krakatoa?

#5 Posted by Disaya (262 posts) -

The snow pyramids are great, must have been fun.

#6 Posted by MB (11302 posts) -

Afghanistan gets a ton of snowfall annually. So does Iraq.

#7 Posted by ripelivejam (2797 posts) -

@kidavenger: MEANS IT GETS COLD IN DIFFERENT PLACES THAN IT NORMALLY DOES D:

#8 Edited by GnaTSoL (778 posts) -

C'mon weather..... When will it be Florida's turn? Closest thing we've ever gotten, at or below Central Florida, was sleet one year and hail another..... And hail sucks.

GIVE IT TO ME GOD!!!!!!!! Who doesn't wanna see gators in snow!? :P

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -

A camel lying in the snow is considered "sensitive material" on Twitter. Is Twitter racist?

Also, which music suits the situation better? This or this?

#10 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

This is cool for Cairo, but uh... this is by no means the first time in 100 years snow has fallen in the Middle East. It snows regularly in many parts of the Middle East. Sometimes quite a lot. Cairo just isn't one of those places due to its particular geography.

For example: Here is some fun snow in Israel.

yo not everything's a contest Israel

#11 Posted by GnaTSoL (778 posts) -

@video_game_king: ......nostalgia...... too........ stroooooooooooong..........

ungh.

I pick the former. :D

#12 Posted by Xeiphyer (5589 posts) -

I wonder what it must be like to be excited to see snow. In Canada its exciting to see the grass.

#13 Posted by Dixavd (1135 posts) -

@video_game_king: Isn't the twitter warning on pictures they deem popular and not necessarily the content? Like if enough people click it in a set amount of time it is put there in case it is being shared as something bad.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

Who doesn't wanna see gators in snow!? :P

Anybody who knows what the word "cold-blooded" means?

#15 Posted by Belegorm (284 posts) -
#16 Posted by GnaTSoL (778 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

Who doesn't wanna see gators in snow!? :P

Anybody who knows what the word "cold-blooded" means?

C'mon. Just for like a few hours in the morning. Don't bum me out....

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (13876 posts) -

@mb: Yeah, my bad I changed the title to more accurately reflect the story.

#18 Posted by Flacracker (1391 posts) -

lol global warming

#19 Posted by Sinusoidal (1155 posts) -

Global Warming (maybe better referred to as climate change) is the ongoing (as in still happening) rise in the average temperature on Earth. Snow in Egypt doesn't change that, and in fact could be another sign of its occurrence since it does predict more extreme weather. Egypt represents less than 0.2% of the Earth's surface, and I doubt it snowed over that entirely.

#20 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2579 posts) -

Global Warming (maybe better referred to as climate change) is the ongoing (as in still happening) rise in the average temperature on Earth. Snow in Egypt doesn't change that, and in fact could be another sign of its occurrence since it does predict more extreme weather. Egypt represents less than 0.2% of the Earth's surface, and I doubt it snowed over that entirely.

#21 Edited by TruthTellah (7669 posts) -

@demoskinos: You may want to also fix that it's "Cairo" instead of "Cario". (though thanks for originally fixing it to reflect that plenty of the Middle East gets snow!)

#22 Edited by ILikePopCans (713 posts) -

Man, why do you people need to change this to a Global Warming topic. Can't we just post snowman .jpgs instead?

#23 Edited by TruthTellah (7669 posts) -

Man, why do you people need to change this to a Global Warming topic. Can't we just post snowman .jpgs instead?

Yeah!

More fun snowmen, particularly from the Middle East!

Dammit, guys. Come on!

#24 Posted by BillyMaysRIP (151 posts) -

The king of snowmen:

#25 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

It's currently 10 degrees celsius on the westcoast of Norway. It should be more like -10C. We've had some extremely mild winters lately. Not that I'm complaining..

#26 Posted by ZolRoyce (426 posts) -

@billymaysrip: Ahhh, I was waiting for someone to post a Calvin and Hobbes strip. Those snowmen panels inspired many a (usually failed) attempt at my own deadly snowmen set ups.

#27 Posted by jsnyder82 (685 posts) -

You give me snow in Cairo, I give you millions of people who don't know how global warming works.

#28 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1271 posts) -

You give me snow in Cairo, I give you millions of people who don't know how global warming works.

Even worse, scientifically illiterate politicians with oil companies in their pockets will use this as "evidence" that climate change is a myth and the moronic masses will believe it.

#29 Posted by leejunfan83 (901 posts) -

Global Warning!!!!!!!!!

#30 Posted by bigjeffrey (4162 posts) -

i've never seen snow.

#31 Posted by Dan_CiTi (2928 posts) -

Winter sucks so bad but this is so cool. Seeing the Pyramids covered in snow is a sight for sure.

#32 Posted by Itwongo (787 posts) -

That's hella neato

#33 Posted by me3639 (1608 posts) -

I saw a headline today that also spoke of the snow in Israel. Isnt this one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -

@jsnyder82 said:

Even worse, scientifically illiterate politicians with oil companies in their pockets will use this as "evidence" that climate change is a myth and the moronic masses will believe it.

Who could've imagined that a thread about the Middle East would end up so political?

#35 Posted by Turkalurch (197 posts) -

And thus begins the next cycle in your 100 year reliving of the world over and over again... Muahaha I mean, that's weird guys, right?

#36 Edited by Slag (3345 posts) -

Global Warning!!!!!!!!!

everybody look out, it's snowing!

#37 Posted by dudeglove (7254 posts) -

HOLY SHIT SNOW IS COLD THEREFORE CLIMATE CHANGE IS A LIE

#38 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (560 posts) -

Snow? Pshaw. Wake me up when it's raining fire.

#39 Posted by crithon (2582 posts) -

hehe, wow, that's something that makes me smile a lot.

#40 Edited by Hunter5024 (5175 posts) -

I am happy for my fellow desert dwellers.

#41 Edited by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

@ilikepopcans said:

The king of snowmen:

Thank you for this! You have no idea how much I love Calvin and Hobbes.

#42 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6270 posts) -

As a Boston native, snow fucking sucks. To those living in nice places where it's warm year round and all the shit seasons are skipped over, the novelty of snow wears off really quickly. "Aww! It's snowing!" Quickly turns into "AW FUCK! MY PLANS ARE RUINED AND NOW I HAVE TO SHOVEL THIS BLACK, SLUSHY, MESS." We have machines to make the shit for the snowboarders and skiers out there. Snow can eat a dick and choke on it.

#43 Edited by wjb (1553 posts) -