#1 Edited by sthusby (382 posts) -

...this song from The Killers really evokes a lot of the same feelings. Check it out. And you should just check out Battle Born in general, it's their best album to date. Flowers' vocals have really grown over the years. A true return to form after the lackluster Day & Age.

#2 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

I disagree, Hot Fuss is still their best album. It evokes the 80's a lot more than any of their other stuff but Battle Born is indeed solid. It's probably my second favorite Killers album and yeah that song is great.

Also this kinda counts as youtube spam because you basically wrote a sentence and then posted a video.

#3 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Could totally see this in the end credits of a Molly Ringwald film, Sams Town was my favourite When You Were Young is such a kick ass song.

#4 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

Hot Fuss is solid, but I feel as a whole the new album is a bit more coherent. And Flowers' vocals are just so much stronger now than on the earlier albums. When you were young is insanly good, and along with This River is Wild really makes Sam's Town for me.

Oh, and a mod should move this thread. I forgot to put it on the Off-Topic board.

#5 Posted by EXTomar (4505 posts) -

I liked Day And Age. Oddly enough I just watched their Live from Albert Hall concert and still liked "A Dustland Fairytale"

#6 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

I gave Battle Born a go around during a train ride. Didn't really do much for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot. Still, I have to say Sam's Town is my favorite. Bones, This River is Wild, All The Pretty Faces, etc. They definitely found their perfect balance. Battle Born just felt like the work of someone who thought that the change from Hot Fuss to Sam's Town was not extreme enough. But then again, this is coming from someone who still has not listened to Day & Night so maybe Hot Fuss is now considered unrepresentative of who the Killers are anymore.

#7 Posted by bartok (2425 posts) -

The Killers aren't too shabby.

#8 Posted by MB (12020 posts) -

Moved to off topic - General is for stuff about gaming or the site. Everything else goes into Off Topic. Thanks.

#9 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@MB: Yeah. I know. That's why I asked you to move it

#10 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

80's are Thrash Metal, Killers aren't thrash metal

#11 Posted by Fattony12000 (7069 posts) -

@sthusby:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/please-read-the-u-toob-spam-stops-now/271975

So what exactly is the issue, who is to blame?

The biggest culprit for these spam topics we've noticed are what we have affectionately dubbed 'youtube spammers' who find a random youtube video, embed it into a topic and expect discussion to come from it. When they haven't even bothered to provide adequate original commentary to inspire productive discussion value to their topic.

Generally we consider a topic 'youtube spam' when it consists of an embedded video accompanied by a short comment along the lines of "LOL look what I found guyz, isn't this funny? HAHAHA!" or something similar.

#12 Posted by forkboy (1116 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

Don't forget the hardcore punk. An 80s without Black Flag, Minor Threat, Discharge, etc

#13 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@forkboy: Misfits, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Suicidal Tendencies, 80's for me are metal and punk, exception being Rush because they are timeless in all decades.

#14 Edited by Quarters (1633 posts) -

It does my heart good to see another Killers fan. My favorite band, hands down. Battle Born is absolutely phenomenal. Also, I actually really liked Day and Age. The World We Live In and Goodnight, Travel Well are two of the best songs in their entire library.

#15 Posted by Karkarov (2999 posts) -

Eh. They are ok.

#16 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

Don't forget the hardcore punk. An 80s without Black Flag, Minor Threat, Discharge, etc

Huh. When I think about 80s music, I think more of hair bands like Poison, Warrant, and Winger. And then I throw up on myself.

#17 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@frankfartmouth said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

Huh. When I think about 80s music, I think more of hair bands like Poison, Warrant, and Winger. And then I throw up on myself.

You ignore the Glam part, that's the trick

#18 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

Hotline Miami.

#19 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Fuck that album. Grey Mane is way better.

#20 Posted by forkboy (1116 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

Yeah, exactly. In hindsight it's really easy to ignore Poison & Motley Crue & accentuate the positive, be it The Smiths, Exodus or Reagan Youth.

#21 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@sthusby:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/please-read-the-u-toob-spam-stops-now/271975

So what exactly is the issue, who is to blame?

The biggest culprit for these spam topics we've noticed are what we have affectionately dubbed 'youtube spammers' who find a random youtube video, embed it into a topic and expect discussion to come from it. When they haven't even bothered to provide adequate original commentary to inspire productive discussion value to their topic.

Generally we consider a topic 'youtube spam' when it consists of an embedded video accompanied by a short comment along the lines of "LOL look what I found guyz, isn't this funny? HAHAHA!" or something similar.

Yes, well. Cool. But that's not what I did, so I don't really understand why you're posting this here? I provided good context, commenting on the likes of Flowers' voice, and the quality of the album. It's a skill to use few words to express your opinion. Sometimes, less is more.

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

Yeah, exactly. In hindsight it's really easy to ignore Poison & Motley Crue & accentuate the positive, be it The Smiths, Exodus or Reagan Youth.

Phil Collins says fuck all ya'll.

#23 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2952 posts) -

This is... vaguely 80s.

Killers are OK, not bad by today's radio standards but I'd be lying if I said I liked them very much at all. Their best songs are all on their first album methinks.

All that said, the B/W music video of them rocking out on a speedboat is pretty badass, and underrated as far as videos go.

#24 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

They've always sounded a bit 80s. They've been peddling that Pet Shop Boys sound since Hot Fuss.

#25 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

As far as mainstream alt-rock goes, the Killers are pretty top-tier. I can't say I care much for their newer stuff aside from a couple tracks (namely Spaceman) off their last album, but they are a solid band, and some of their earlier stuff is pretty brilliant.

However, if you want some faux-80s, this is the way to go.

#26 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@Red: Or this

#27 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

Phil Collins can fuck off cause he is terrible. Take his Tarzan Soundtrack and get the fuck out.

#28 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

Phil Collins can fuck off cause he is terrible. Take his Tarzan Soundtrack and get the fuck out.

Whatever, you'll still be in my heart.

#29 Posted by forkboy (1116 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

@frankfartmouth said:

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

I'm with you here. I can listen to some Genesis stuff from when Peter Gabriel was still in the band, but Collins? God. no

#30 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Red: Or this

Thanks. That was the best thing I've ever seen.

#31 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

I like The Killers. I can sing along to the entirety of Sam's Town.

#32 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -

@forkboy: Here I was thinking I'd make a thread about The Killers. Oh well, my bad.

#33 Posted by forkboy (1116 posts) -

@sthusby: I'd describe it more as raising the quality of music discussed, but then I'm a fucking snob so eh, don't listen to me.

But really, your thread title was so ambiguous that it was almost inevitably going to lead to the discussion of 80s music in various guises.

#34 Edited by sthusby (382 posts) -

@forkboy: Made it that way so it would just seamlessly role into the post. But yeah, I guess the thread title alone is a bit misleading. LISTEN TO THE KILLERS DAMN IT! DAMN IT TO HELL!

#35 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

Com Truise, nough said.

#36 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

@sthusby: This, for no reason

#37 Posted by EuanDewar (4773 posts) -

Midnight City is one of the best 80's style songs in recent memory. Also I've always thought the Killers were boring. Liked that dudes solo album doe

#38 Posted by joecellardore (1 posts) -

FREE download

A varied mix of classics from the 80's and a bit of 70's.

Perfect for any fan of these era's. :)

http://soundcloud.com/cellardore/respect-your-elders-dj-mix-2

#39 Posted by TooWalrus (13138 posts) -

This does not feel like it fell out of a Van Halen album. Pass.

#40 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

I guess it evokes a bit of the 80s. Twin Shadow does a really good 80s emulation, if you haven't heard of him.

#41 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@forkboy said:

@Nightriff said:

I was about to say, there was more than one genre of music in the eighties.

#42 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

This is way more 80's

#43 Posted by EdTwo (471 posts) -

ah man, i thought it was gonna be metal

#44 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

Well, if you actually do enjoy the 80s...

#45 Posted by Samael2138 (231 posts) -

When I think of 80's music, I always think of all the amazing 2-Tone Ska: The Specials, The Selecter, Madness, Bad Manners.....etc

Not to mention 3 of my favorite punk bands,The Misfits,The Ramones, and The Clash

The 80's also had the 4 Horsemen of Thrash, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax

Even a lot of the pop from the 80's is really good. Tears for Fears,Cyndi Lauper, Men at Work, etc

And some phenomenal guitar playing from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen,Steve Vai, etc.

#46 Posted by ESREVER (2671 posts) -

Iunno about the 80s comment... but FUCKYEA more Killers.

Cool to hear that the new album is good. Gonna have to check it out.

Also, Read My Mind and Don't Shoot Me Santa are my two favorite Killers songs.

#47 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

The Killers really want to be Duran Duran for the 21st century. I admire that goal more than I admire their music, although I do enjoy it from time to time. Their cover of Dire Straits' "Romeo & Juliet" is great.

And fuck the fuckers who hate on Phil Collins. "In The Air" tonight is a great song and I believe that "Take Me Home" invented drum n bass. I'm calling it.

#48 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

@depecheload said:

I believe that "Take Me Home" invented drum n bass. I'm calling it.

@depecheload said:

@depecheload said:

@depecheload said:

@depecheload said:

WHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHAT

#49 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4641 posts) -

This sounds nothing like Wham!