#1 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

What do you do to get over performance hurdles? What I mean by this are those times when you stop improving consistently and just keep doing the same exercises at the same intensity, with the same sets and reps, same weight, running the same distances, and so on. It's when you start to plateau.

So where I am is that I've hit a plateau in my running but no so much in weight training. I'm running 25.5 miles a week consistently for about 4 weeks now. I started out with walking a mile three days a week about 3 months ago and have been consistently improving every week. But now I'm having a hard time adding mileage to my running. I don't know what it is. I run out on streets with hills and so on and during a time when I think that I'm going to go for 3.5 miles rather then 3 at about the 2 mile mark I change my mind and go back to running the 3 miles instead.

So what do you all suggest? What do you do to motivate yourself to move forward in your exercise program?

#2 Posted by Nick (623 posts) -

I think about girls. (not a joke).

#3 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

@Nick said:

...like how you want to have sex with them?

#4 Edited by ProfessorEss (7130 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Nick said:

No. Think about how you want to protect them, and yourself, from beach bullies.

#5 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

@ProfessorEss said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Nick said:

No. Think about how you want to protect them, and yourself, from beach bullies.

I don't think that would work well for me at all.

#6 Posted by Nick (623 posts) -

ah no haha, well not really. I really just think about my girlfriend, she gives me motivation to do things I otherwise wouldn't have the motivation to do. Or when I was single I would think about a girl I liked. It's not really primarily a sexual thing, although I like having sex with my girlfriend, that's not specifically what I'm thinking about.

#7 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1303 posts) -

I think putting in a lot of effort into making a great mix each week motivates me. You can only mix up your routines, but new, well mixed music (to me) helps keep sessions fresh.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Administer painful electric shocks to yourself if you don't meet your goals. Eventually you will either hit your goals or come to enjoy the shocks. Seems like a win/win.

#9 Posted by Nick (623 posts) -

I also find that music can make a big difference.

#10 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

You've got to mix it up. With body building you need the muscle confusion, change up the routines and how they hit the muscle.

But I don't know shit about running. I just weight lift and practice martial arts to improve my mind and body and overall health. That's my motivation.

#11 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

I just switch up my routine.  It sucks at first but then you improve quickly like a motherfucker so I keep working out for that feeling.  For running, I suggest that you try hitting a new route.  Your body might have adjusted to those hills,roads,etc.  

#12 Posted by BrandonPckrfn (68 posts) -

Same thing as weight lifting, muscle confusion. Try some high intensity sprints, 30 sec sprint and 10-15 sec rest, and then distance run the next day.

#13 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

@JasonR86: I think about people who piss me off and how I want to punch them.

#14 Posted by Spoonman671 (4381 posts) -

Uh... do you need to run more than 25 miles a week?

Anyway, you just have to try working those muscles in a different way.  Maybe run shorter distances, but find a track where you can do a series of hurtles to end your run with.  Your body will respond to pretty much anything you do to change your routine.

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I push myself when I feel comfortable. I make myself shatter my current record.

That or get emotional I hit my peak too early in life. Such stuff.

#16 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I add a different exercise that targets the area that I'm having trouble in. A while ago I couldn't advance with bench press but I started doing more pushups and standing presses and I moved on. I don't know if there's any science to that or if it makes any sense at all but it's worked a few times for me in different areas.

For motivation, I dunno. Get mad. Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

Uh... do you need to run more than 25 miles a week?

Sure. If I'm getting bored with it then why not add more?

#18 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

@Nick said:

Is this you?

#19 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

change the routine differently.

#20 Posted by TheHBK (5411 posts) -

@Nick said:

ah no haha, well not really. I really just think about my girlfriend, she gives me motivation to do things I otherwise wouldn't have the motivation to do. Or when I was single I would think about a girl I liked. It's not really primarily a sexual thing, although I like having sex with my girlfriend, that's not specifically what I'm thinking about.

Fuck that. You gotta get the motivation from yourself, so that it can never be taken away. Be strong on your own, not weak. Train to be better, to be the best because you want to be, because you can be, not because there is someone there to push you along.

I like this because its all about one guy, the music from Rocky helps. As to your plateau problem. Change up the scenery. Change up your shoes, your gear. Change will make you feel different and you can go further because you feel fresher. Get some new music and try to work your legs harder.

#21 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

you need a motivation. find it!

#22 Posted by Unilad (484 posts) -

Well I Crossfit everyday, and we put on Rage and basically can't think of much else!

"Fuck you I won't do what you tell me!"

#23 Posted by Christoffer (1656 posts) -

Trying to increase the distance every week seems boring. I have a set length I run (about 6,2 miles) that I'm trying to improve my time on. Sometimes I run intervals, other times I run a shorter distance in a higher tempo, sometimes longer in a slower tempo.

I recently bought a Garmin clock to keep track of the distance and my heart rate. It's Pretty fun to follow your improvement that way.

(I'll admit I haven't been out for a while. Someone decided to dump a few meters of snow in the outdoors.)

#24 Posted by Phr4nk0 (345 posts) -

You should change your metric of performance and try improve on that. You've been focusing on adding miles, thats fine, but now you've plateued and you can't puch through it you have to try and improve somewhere else and come back to adding miles later. My advice would be instead of aiming to run further run your 3 miles and time it, then for the next month or so run the three miles and try to beat your time. Eventually you will plateu on this and then you switch back and be able to run further at a slower pace again. If you don't like that you can maybe add weight for a bit (weight vest) then run without again, or stifle you breathing. Athletes use masks that simulate high altitude training, or you can look into the O2 Trainer or if you're on a budget and don't mind looking silly tape a snorkle to your head and breath through that (no joke I've seen videos of fighters training cardio this way) it's basically the same.

Same thing for weights, if you platue on weight, try increase reps, if you platue on that you can aim for less rest inbetween sets, then go back to trying to increase weight. Progress is progress, it doesn't matter what category it falls into.

#25 Posted by Koukou (38 posts) -

When it comes to running i would start to focus on improving average speed trough different sections of the run ( Like particulary steep climbs etc..) and the overall time. I find this much easier to do than continually expanding the run.

As to bodybuilding i would follow the advice given earlier and mix it up alot more!

Having many smaller goals is alot easier to commit to than big ones, especially when the improvements overall get more and more incremental.