#151 Posted by Khann (2859 posts) -

Yep, that was a hell of a qualifying.

(Not sure how we deal with spoilers in this thread)

Shame for Di Resta, but pleased for Hamilton.

#152 Edited by isomeri (1289 posts) -

The qualifying was pretty fantastic, but that was a really boring race. Maldonado's fuck up though was epic and it was sad to see Kimi's spree come to an end.

#153 Posted by Khann (2859 posts) -

Solid enough race. Not super exciting, but enough going on to keep it interesting.

Kinda bummed Vettel won. I don't have anything against Vettel, but I think he's pretty much got the championship in the bag now. Would have been nice to have it kept alive for a few more races.

#154 Posted by WillBoWeird (20 posts) -

Not the most exciting race of the year, but still interesting. Vettel was just too strong too quickly. I was hoping for Hamilton to have something to hold him off.

Would have been interesting if the rain had come.

#155 Posted by Lugaloco (22 posts) -

The fact that Alonso went from 9th to 2nd is a testament to what an excellent driver that guy is. Brilliant drive by him in the race and proves once again that he's one of if not THE best driver on the grid (I'd say it's fairly even between Alonso, Kimi, and Hamilton).

Was too bad about Vettel getting ahead so early. If he doesn't get an early lead in a race it always makes it way more interesting but that Neweymobile is just untouchable.

#156 Posted by NoelVeiga (1100 posts) -

@lugaloco: I really want to see a season with at least two or three teams on the same level. Vettel, Alonso and Hamilton should get to settle their differences at some point. Alonso's refusal to be held back by the laws of physics keeps things mildly interesting, but otherwise we're approaching the level of low stakes from the Schumacher/Ferrari era.

#157 Edited by WillBoWeird (20 posts) -

Alonso's drive was probably the most notable event of this race. I can only imagine how well he would be doing if Ferrari had a more competitive product.

#158 Posted by Khann (2859 posts) -

Definitely nice to see Alonso looking good again. It felt like he was a bit off in the last few races (by his standards, anyway).

#159 Edited by Khann (2859 posts) -

Just in case anybody missed it, Ricciardo was officially announced as the RBR driver. No news on who will be stepping into the STR seat.

#160 Posted by Lugaloco (22 posts) -

Come on, let it be Kamui or Heikki :(

#161 Posted by Khann (2859 posts) -

Well, championship is over unfortunately.

#162 Posted by Lugaloco (22 posts) -

It's too bad the frontrunner race is so boring what with Vettel powering away with Alonso/Hamilton/Kimi/Webber all trailing behind. At least we have some great midfield battles which are brilliant to watch, but goddamn I can't wait for 2014.

Watch as Vettel dominates then too.

#163 Edited by isomeri (1289 posts) -

@lugaloco: Yeah the rivalry between Hamilton and Räikkönen was probably the most interesting part of the race. And we did get that interesting thermal cam crash footage. It was funny to hear the announcers hype the thermal cam before the start of the race, only to have it rendered useless in the first lap.

#164 Edited by Khann (2859 posts) -

Definitely an interesting camera. Cool to see the big flare in temperature on the hotspots he makes when he starts to lock the tyres.

e: Big rumours of a Kimi/Alonso swap...

#165 Posted by Krataur (365 posts) -

Was the thermal cam really only on di Resta's car? That would explain why that was the last time they showed thermal footage... Seems like they would have put it on a couple of cars for just this reason. Or picked someone who doesn't crash out as much.

And Kimi/Alonso swap? I've heard Kimi/Massa. I don't see Alonso wanting to leave Ferrari. Especially not for Lotus.

#166 Edited by Khann (2859 posts) -

@krataur said:

Was the thermal cam really only on di Resta's car? That would explain why that was the last time they showed thermal footage... Seems like they would have put it on a couple of cars for just this reason. Or picked someone who doesn't crash out as much.

And Kimi/Alonso swap? I've heard Kimi/Massa. I don't see Alonso wanting to leave Ferrari. Especially not for Lotus.

I believe the rumours are/were that Renault was considering coming back in a big way (Lotus possibly becoming their works team again), and Santander would follow Alonso to Lotus as well. Renault is where he won his championships, after all.

Still, seems a little far-fetched at this point.

#167 Posted by randiolo (1093 posts) -

@khann said:

@krataur said:

I believe the rumours are/were that Renault was considering coming back in a big way (Lotus possibly becoming their works team again), and Santander would follow Alonso to Lotus as well. Renault is where he won his championships, after all.

Still, seems a little far-fetched at this point.

I remember seeing Alonso saying recently that he wanted to end his career at Ferrari. In fact he said..

"I want to finish my career in the best team in the world, which is Ferrari. At the moment we are not achieving the results that we want but we are working very hard. Next year we will have completely new rules that will open the door to many teams to stop the domination of Red Bull seems to have. We have high hopes for next year's challenge." Source

#168 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

NOOO was the race yesterday? ARGGGG FML!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

and I am happy for Ricardo, he needed to be bumped up seeing as how well hes been doing in the watered down version of a f1 car.

#169 Edited by isomeri (1289 posts) -
@krataur said:

As far as I know every car on the grid has those cameras on board so that the team can estimate tire and break wear during the race. Force India basically just decided to make di Resta's camera footage available to the public.

And yeah like I was anticipating earlier and what is becoming increasingly certain is that Räikkönen will replace Massa on Ferrari next year. I'm not sure how I feel about the decision, but the financial troubles at Lotus certainly didn't sound great. I just hope that Alonso and Kimi will get to race fairly among each other, which in this sport is never guaranteed. And it's a shame for Massa whom I've always considered to be an honest racer and great all-around dude, but it's clear that the accident a few years back did have an effect on his speed and consistency. And I guess someone like di Resta or Hulkenberg might take Kimi's place at Lotus.

#170 Edited by Khann (2859 posts) -

If 2007 is anything to go by, Alonso may not play too well with a teammate that can actually keep up with him (provided Kimi can do so). Granted, Kimi isn't exactly as hot-headed as a young Hamilton, but still. If that is the line-up, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

God I hope Hulkenburg can find himself a competitive drive next year. Would really love to see what he can do with a decent car. He is by far the most promising young driver in the field in my view.

#171 Edited by MachoFantastico (4719 posts) -

Have to say, I'm amazed Ferrari are seriously considering Kimi again. Yes he won the championship with them, but I recall Ferrari not being particularly impressed by Kimi's attitude at the time. Unless that's changed dramatically (which I doubt considering his attitude in interviews) I'm at a loss with this one. That said, it'll be fascinating to see Alonso vs Kimi. Personally, I think Alonso will have his number for the most part but I still think Hulkenburg would be a more sensible choice.

Guess one might come to the conclusion that joining Ferrari is Kimi's second best option after missing out on the Red Bull seat. Which I think a lot of people saw happening, no way would Vettel have Kimi as a team mate.

#172 Edited by saje87 (1 posts) -

Oh yes, the termal cam footage was what impressed me the most during the race :D

#173 Posted by Lugaloco (22 posts) -

That's Massa out of Ferrari next year.Either Kimi or the Hulk will probably take his place.

#174 Posted by aurahack (2273 posts) -

I'm so glad this thread lives on in my work-spurred absence. :'D

@lugaloco said:

That's Massa out of Ferrari next year.Either Kimi or the Hulk will probably take his place.

It's almost all-but-confirmed that Raikkonen will take his place. Hulkenberg rumored to be going to Lotus. Kind of a perfect fit for both, if you ask me. I'd love to see what Nico can do in a Lotus, (you know, a car that can actually perform) and Kimi in a Ferrari is a real threatening thing towards Red Bull.

#175 Edited by Khann (2859 posts) -

And it's done. Kimi is in.

2014 is shaping up to be a really interesting season, for so many reasons.

#176 Edited by Lugaloco (22 posts) -

On a 2 year contract as well. Should be interesting to see how Ferrari handle Kimi and Alonso in the same team. Roll on 2014!

#177 Posted by scaramoosh (179 posts) -

If I was Lotus, Massa and Hulk in, Grosjean out.

#178 Posted by Khann (2859 posts) -
#179 Posted by Khann (2859 posts) -

So, super excited for another easy Vettel victory.

Am I right?

Hello?

#180 Posted by isomeri (1289 posts) -

@khann said:

So, super excited for another easy Vettel victory.

Am I right?

Hello?

Yeah It was another one of "those", but we did get some real racing action towards the end there. Alonso pulled off an amazing start once again and I was surprised at how long he was able to manage that last set of tires. The battle between Webber, Rosberg and Hamilton on the last few laps ended up being really exciting, especially when at the same time Kimi was trying to pull ahead of Button. I almost hate to praise my "hometown hero" once more, but the rise from 13 to 3 by Räikkönen with a bad back no less was totally astonishing. At the same time it made me cringe watching Grosjean being stuck in the pits and eventually having to quit the race. And talking of retirements I don't think that there could be a better metaphor for Red Bull this season than seeing Webbers' car explode under him right as Vettel was crossing the line with a jubilee of fireworks.

Luckily Webber did catch that sweet ride from Alonso, and unlucky for him that the resulting penalty was his third. From what I understand he's getting a 10 spot grid penalty in the next race because of it. But somehow I get the feeling that he doesn't really care anymore.

#181 Edited by diz (919 posts) -

2014 is coming!

The new 2014 cars are being unveiled around this time. Due to changes in aero regulations, the cars have a "pinched front nose" look that only the designers could love:

Ferrari will show off their new car later today. Other teams will show off their new cars later on in the week.

Caterham have posted a sample of the new sound the all new 1.5 litre V6 turbo engines will sound:

There has also been some movement within the teams: Ron Dennis seized control as McLaren CEO and has ousted Martin Whitmarsh as F1 team principal. Eric Boullier has also left Lotus and rumour has it there is an impending announcement that he will replace Martin Whitmarsh at McLaren. Lotus have replaced Eric Boullier with Gerard Lopez. Other movements within the teams indicate design and engineering people leaving Lotus and Red Bull for the McLaren and Williams teams. Ross Brawn has left Mercedes and is replaced by Toto Wolf and Paddy Lowe as joint team bosses.

On the driver roster, I'm pleased that Kumui Kobayashi has crowd-funded his way back in to a 2014 drive with Caterham, thanks in part to his Kamui Support campaign and the 8 million Euros it raised! 3 new young drivers are on the grid this year. I think Kevin Magnussen has the best chance as the co-driver for McLaren.

A new track will be introduced this year in Sochi, Russia (the same venue of the impending winter Olympics):

On a more sombre note, Jenson Button's father (John) died recently. He was a lively personality at the Grand Prix circuits and quite a character.

Also, Michael Schumacher is still in a coma following a skiing accident on December 29. I hope his situation improves.

#182 Posted by FLStyle (4723 posts) -

What nonsense are they planning for the points scoring system this season I wonder?

#183 Posted by diz (919 posts) -

@flstyle said:

What nonsense are they planning for the points scoring system this season I wonder?

Well the last race in the season will have double points. most teams are supposedly against this, although the regulation change went through unopposed. The idea is to make the season more competitive and avoid early championship victories with races still left in the season.

Also there is a "new" punishment of a 5 second pit stop for minor infractions. This penalty can be taken during a regular pit stop, unlike the other existing penalties.

#184 Edited by isomeri (1289 posts) -

@diz said:

2014 is coming!

I hadn't noticed this before, but are the front "prongs" on the new Lotus not the same length? That's going to be really distracting.

@flstyle said:

Double points in the last race of the season, which is now Yas Marina instead of Interlagos.

And here's the new Ferrari. I can't really decide which team has the car with the least offensive looking nose. I do like the triangular air intake on the F14 T though.

#185 Edited by diz (919 posts) -

@isomeri: I think they are uneven too. It probably affects the aero going between the prongs, or something.... This pic also shows the difference in prong length.

I think these cars do look fugly, but this isn't a beauty pageant. There have been some horrid looking cars in the past too, but there have also been some fantastic looking ones. My personal favourite is the Warsteiner Arrows A2 of the late 1970's. My fond memories are because I saw one race at the first GP I went to as a child and it looked so different to the other cars on the grid.

#186 Posted by FLStyle (4723 posts) -

@isomeri: @diz: Nooooooooo, just leave the points system as 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 for the entire season, stupid F1 execs.

#187 Posted by diz (919 posts) -

@flstyle: I agree that the points for each race should be the same and that the new "last race" premium is a sham. But I do think a win deserves a greater points differential than coming second (and so on), so I think the current points allocations (25, 18, 15, 12, 10 etc) are ok.

I have to say that in the past, points scoring systems were even more bizarre and complex than they are now. Up to the 2002 only the top six got any points at all. There was also the idea that the best x results in y races counted towards a championship. This allocation changed nearly every year, even being split into the best x results in the first y races, then the best x results in the next z races combined. It led to complete and utter confusion as to who was where in a championship and who could win it until after each season ended.

#188 Edited by isomeri (1289 posts) -

Toro Rosso might be overcompensating for something. I wonder if the Red Bulls will have a bigger "protrusion" just to set the junior team in their place.

#189 Edited by isomeri (1289 posts) -

A quick recap to those who didn't follow the four days of tests. All the teams had their fair share of issues over the week, with most teams only being able to complete around a third of the laps we're used to seeing at Jerez. Lap times across the board were around 10 seconds slower than last year and it remains to be seen if this was mainly due to the cars not being tuned yet or if the cars are indeed that much slower this year. All the Mercedes-based teams (McLaren, Mercedes, Force India and Williams) were able to have decent runs and got away with relatively few technical difficulties. Hamilton did have a major shunt on the first day of testing when his front wing fell off before Turn 1, causing him to crash into the tires head on. Luckily he and his teammate Nico were able to resume testing on the following three days. Scuderia Ferrari also had a strong showing during the week, placing at or near the top in both laps driven and lap times during the week.

The real drama right now is revolving around the Renault teams and especially over the state of Red Bull. All of the Renault cars (Red Bull, Caterham, Toro Rosso) suffered from multiple technical difficulties over the week with some teams only managing to finish one or two laps a day in stead of the around a hundred which the top teams managed. Red Bull seemed to suffer the worst, with Vettel and Ricciardo hovering at or near the bottom of the lap time and lap count boards on each day. Renault and all the teams have been quick to comment that their cars will be fixed before testing in Bahrain in a couple of weeks, but these are clearly not good signs for the teams going into a season where reliability will be a more pressing concern than on previous years. Lotus didn't even manage to get their car ready for the Jerez tests so their outlook is frankly quite bleak at the moment.

#190 Posted by randiolo (1093 posts) -

All right guys, first race of the season in 4 days and i have grandstand seats on turn 1. Il be posting some pics on here if i can, anyone els going to the race in Melbourne?

#191 Posted by aurahack (2273 posts) -

@randiolo: !!! I look forward to seeing those pictures; that sounds awesome. Have fun, duder!

#192 Edited by Sessh (833 posts) -

Man, I'm excited. Only about 6 hours left till the first training session of the season. It's gonna be an interesting first indication of what's really going to happen this weekend.

Also, right now, there's a forecast of rain for the race on Sunday, which would make everything extra crazy right from the start.

#193 Posted by Royce_McCutcheon (207 posts) -

New cars sound like lawnmowers.

#196 Posted by Khann (2859 posts) -

Not sure how I feel about the new sounds. They sound OK, but they're so damn quiet. Lotus looking absolutely terrible, RBR not looking too bad. Ferrari looking strong, though Kimi way off the pace. Bad luck for Hamilton. Williams showing early pace.

#197 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (606 posts) -

Live Stream Just click whichever cable provider you use and it should let you watch.

#198 Edited by Sessh (833 posts) -

I agree, the new sound is gonna take some time to get used to.

Overall the cars are pretty much where I thought the would be right now, except for Red Bull looking stronger than I believed, and Lotus considerably worse. But it's still to early to tell if the can manage to even finish the race on Sunday.

@khann

Well, Kimi's never been one to perform all to well in training sessions (and sadly in qualifying), so here's hoping he'll be a lot stronger in the race.

#199 Posted by randiolo (1093 posts) -

Tomorrow morning 9 hours from now. il be making my way to the track , as i have done every year since '01. And every year i cant wait, and every year im saddened when its over.

#200 Posted by mosespippy (4205 posts) -

@randiolo: Make sure you keep a tally of people who wear thongs and people who don't.