#201 Posted by Mister_V (1194 posts) -

@randiolo: Cool, let us know how the cars sound in real life.

#202 Edited by DrSwank (442 posts) -

Stunning video on F1 2014 rule changes.

#203 Posted by Wlleiotl (31 posts) -

fascinating qualifying session, some great performances

#204 Edited by Khann (2787 posts) -

Yep, great qualifying. Excellent way to start the season. Ricciardo had the measure of Vettel all through qual, which is a bit of a surprise. Kimi looks like he is having a massive amount of trouble with these cars.

#205 Posted by digitalerich (10 posts) -
#206 Posted by MasterpinE (58 posts) -

One of the best quali sessions I've seen in years, even the noise these V6's make is growing on me. Even in the dry a heap of this looked like high speed ice skating, certainly makes for exciting viewing. Great drives from Ric and Magnussen in particular and you've got to love the crowd reaction to Seb missing Q3.

#207 Posted by Mister_V (1194 posts) -

Really enjoyed that. Was a bit put off at first by the quieter sounding engines but i'm coming round to them now. You get to hear so much more stuff now like the tyres screeching, turbo noise and the crowed.

Was really impressed by the new guys, and i was really cheering on Ricciardo at the end there. Can't wait for the race now.

#208 Posted by cclemon36 (180 posts) -

Interesting to see how the teams line up in the beginning part of the season. I have to say, it feels a bit like watching a different racing league entirely, with the look and sound of the cars, and surprisingly enough --the custom driver numbers! It's going to take a weekend or two for me to get used to them, methinks.

It seems the young guys have got to grips with the new cars quite well, I don't mind that at all. Looking forward to Ricciardo challenging Seb all season long as well. :)

#209 Edited by Sessh (713 posts) -

I thought it most interesting how big the difference between the two drivers where in some teams. Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, with one driver completely outperforming the other.

I wonder how everything's gonna go down in the race. My bet would be for Kimi and Vettel to make up quite a few places, and Ricciardo, Magnussen and the Toro Rosso's to loose some.

#210 Posted by Mijati (885 posts) -

@sessh said:

I thought it most interesting how big the difference between the two drivers where in some teams. Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren, with one driver completely outperforming the other.

I wonder how everything's gonna go down in the race. My bet would be for Kimi and Vettel to make up quite a few places, and Ricciardo, Magnussen and the Toro Rosso's to loose some.

With those conditions and the yellow flags etc. it's a bit misleading. But still was a bit surprised at that but I'm sure in a "clean" qualifying session the gaps wouldn't have been anywhere near as big.

#211 Edited by Sessh (713 posts) -

@mijati:

Yeah, you're right, the conditions definitely played into the outcome. At least I certainly hope so in Kimi's case. Hopefully it's not going to rain tomorrow, but what I've seen of the forecasts makes me afraid it will. (Don't get me wrong, I like rainy races, but not in the first race of the season.)

#212 Posted by randiolo (1090 posts) -

Im in the stands at turn 1, its suuuper cloudy here atm, high chance of rain. Im really disappointed with the sound of the new cars, i cant hear them until they are right in front of you, i dont evan need ear plugs.

#213 Posted by CByrne (188 posts) -

I feel really bad about the news for Daniel Ricciardo today...

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/24239/9216794/red-bulls-daniel-ricciardo-disqualified-from-the-results-of-the-australian-gp

#214 Posted by VincentVendetta (232 posts) -

Can't believe people are bitching about the sound of V6 engines and declaring the sport dead because of it. I was amazed at hearing the crowd and the tires blocking, it was something I never thought possible. I adore this sound.

#215 Posted by diz (910 posts) -

Fastest lap was 3 seconds slower this year than last year. The racing appeared even slower than that to me. Perhaps the new engine sounds had something to do with that too. Thank goodness they compromised on a V6 format, rather than opt for the 4 cylinder option being discussed initially.

I wonder how much Ron Dennis and Boullier have to do with the upturn at McLaren at the start of the season. Likewise, I wonder how much Ross Brawn's getting pushed from Mercedes will affect their form this year.

#216 Posted by thehadricus (2 posts) -

@cbyrne: Don't worry, he's still smiling. He's always smiling. Always.

#217 Edited by Nasar7 (2606 posts) -

Finally saw the race yesterday. The new engine sounds indeed take some getting used to. F1 basically now sounds the way IndyCar has been sounding the past few years. But the racing itself is no doubt more exciting than the previous years so I suppose it's a net win. Hard to reconcile that with the "this should be the most technologically advanced machine possible" thought though.

To those of you who attended the race, can you really hear tire squeal and wastegate dumps now? Because I keep seeing people in various forums say these things but I didn't hear them on the broadcast.

#218 Posted by Salvatron (23 posts) -

Went paid to listen to the Alt-F1 podcast. This is my first season of F1, always been curious, but never had the proper channels to watch the races in any consistency. Shoutouts to OP, @aurahack for putting this thread and that amazing intro guide together. Really helped with my overall understanding of the races. Cheers!

#219 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

@salvatron: No worries!

And man, the engine debate rages on, huh.They did seem slower, like @diz said, but last year's cars were also the final packages in several years of iteration on those engines/regulations. They're pretty much starting from scratch so even if they were more powerful, I wouldn't be surprised to see them be way slower. Most drivers were still struggling with the new braking and ERS-K system by the end of the race, even.

@vincentvendetta: I'm with you on that. I love loud-ass engines as much as the next guy but last year, we wouldn't have heard the crowd loudly cheer at Vettel missing out on Q3 or Ricciardo almost getting pole position—two of my favorite moments of the entire weekend. It's like watching EVO2K and hearing the crowd roar as someone pulls off a perfect combo in UMvC3 or something. It's amazing.

#220 Edited by Salvatron (23 posts) -

Yeah @aurahack I'm a bit surprised it's so controversial. Is it that dynamic of a shift? I think the new sound feels more futuristic. It also seems like the changes they've made this season are forcing all the teams to be even more strategic. I like the new sound, but then again, I'm very new to this.

#221 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

@salvatron: It's a pretty huge shift, yeah. Last year's cars were loud. Like, serious ringing in your ears if you didn't wear plugs-kind of loud. I can see why people would be disappointed by it but not why people are making such a big deal about it. It feels like children complaining about the Mass Effect 3 ending or something all over again. Silly people who just desperately want things to be the way they want them to be.

I just don't trust them because I see it as hatred towards turbochargers and I can't deal with that. Beyond hearing the crowd and stuff, I love hearing the "pshhhh" and whirring noises of the turbos. So cool.

#222 Posted by slndr (62 posts) -

Just wanted to post about a great documentary about the history of F1 called 1: Life on the Limit. It touches on the dangers through history and evolution of the sport to what it is today. I highly recommend it for all duders to check out.

#223 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (944 posts) -

Here is something to help with the discussion:

You learn something new every day!

#224 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

I'm super-happy about the engine changes. Turbochargers are GREAT! The turbo cars I've owned have always been the most fun (mostly rx7's). Just stupid amounts of torque and wheel spin in multiple gears with very minimal mods.

#225 Posted by Wilshere (288 posts) -

The Williams wins the beauty contest for me. The nose doesn't look goofy, Lotus has a decent nose as well. Both teams with great paint scheme. Hopefully Bottas keeps performing so that his car has a good share of the on screen time. Fair play on some teams that try to hide the ugly nose with a dark paint to contrast it with the body.

#226 Posted by diz (910 posts) -

@aurahack said:

@salvatron: It's a pretty huge shift, yeah. Last year's cars were loud. Like, serious ringing in your ears if you didn't wear plugs-kind of loud. I can see why people would be disappointed by it but not why people are making such a big deal about it. It feels like children complaining about the Mass Effect 3 ending or something all over again. Silly people who just desperately want things to be the way they want them to be.

I just don't trust them because I see it as hatred towards turbochargers and I can't deal with that. Beyond hearing the crowd and stuff, I love hearing the "pshhhh" and whirring noises of the turbos. So cool.

I can vouch for the loudness of F1 in years past. I remember my first track-side at Silverstone in 1979 - in an era with both turbo (1.5L) and normally aspirated (3.0L) cars. The engines of all the cars were so loud that it hurt to hear them. I remember feeling the loudness as well like a thump in the chest - there was that much sound energy.

Ever since then the engine sounds have changed year-on-year and got gradually more high pitched, as the engines achieved higher and higher maximum revs without blowing up. The last Silverstone GP I was at a few years ago was similarly (although not quite) as loud as my first GP, but with less throatiness and more screaming engines.

I think the difference in sound level for the current cars does not really translate for the TV viewer and only really matters to those at track-side. On a TV feed the engine sound is balanced with the commentary and picked up through various track-side and in-car mics. So I think any arm-chair punditry misses the point.

I didn't hear any dump valve sounds in the last race. I think the only reason the modern turbo F1 cars have them is as an unused fail-safe in case the energy recovery system fails. Else it is just wasting energy!

@aurahack said:

@salvatron: No worries!

And man, the engine debate rages on, huh.They did seem slower, like @diz said, but last year's cars were also the final packages in several years of iteration on those engines/regulations. They're pretty much starting from scratch so even if they were more powerful, I wouldn't be surprised to see them be way slower. Most drivers were still struggling with the new braking and ERS-K system by the end of the race, even.

I think it is more to do with the new aero restrictions to the front and rear wings, the banning of exhaust gasses influencing downforce, harder tyres and 50% less fuel allowed that has slowed things down this year. In theory, turbo engines can produce far more power than NA engines. In the "old days", when both were allowed, the 1.5L turbos ended up trouncing the 3L (then even 3.5L) normally aspirated engines and could produce over 1400HP in "qualifying mode" (as was allowed back then).

They sounded good too! For me, F1 should be the absolute pinnacle of motorsport. If too many sacrifices are made with regards to normalising engines for production car interest, then I may as well stick to watching touring cars, one make and rally instead.

I am really looking forward to the new Formula E - coming in 2015 though and hope that it has as much positive impact on F1 as things like the TT Zero has on the Isle of Man TT races.

#227 Posted by Salvatron (23 posts) -

@diz whoa! Thank you for the insight. I just recently learned of the Isle of Man TT, had no idea there was a TT Zero... amazing.

Formula E?? Whoa. What other races are there?

@aurahack said:

I concur. I dig that stealthy hiss.

#228 Posted by diz (910 posts) -

@diz whoa! Thank you for the insight. I just recently learned of the Isle of Man TT, had no idea there was a TT Zero... amazing.

Formula E?? Whoa. What other races are there?

The great thing about TT Zero is that they race half way through the TT week (usually Wednesday), so everyone is there to see it. The top speed last year averaged 109mph over the course and the bikes are not too far off the regular superbikes. They are also ridden by the racing legends who ride in the main races (John McGuiness, Guy Martin, Michael Rutter, etc). The only limits are the number of laps raced. The TT is my favorite motorsport racing event and gripping to watch. I'm amazed such a dangerous race is still allowed.

Formula E will be run separately to F1 unfortunately, but I think they should (and will) fit it into the F1 weekend schedule - instead of the Porsche Carrera Cup races that currently happen over the F1 weekends, for example. It is a natural progression for road racing to go entirely battery powered and it would attract manufacturers and interest from the motor industry as well as the high tech electronics industries. I think there are some electric cars (including hydrogen fuel cell cars) planned for the GT LMP formula (like the 24 hours of Le Mans, etc). It is early days for electric cars and bikes but that's why it is so exciting to me.

#229 Posted by rethla (425 posts) -

@aurahack said:

The problem is i can experience that "stealthy hiss" while driving my 2.0L Subaru to work. Taking down the sound pressure a bit aint a bad thing but it seriosly turns me off when it sounds like 140bhp machines. And stop comparing it to the turbos of the last turbo era this sounds nothing like it.

#230 Posted by Salvatron (23 posts) -

@rethla said:
@salvatron said:
@aurahack said:

The problem is i can experience that "stealthy hiss" while driving my 2.0L Subaru to work. Taking down the sound pressure a bit aint a bad thing but it seriosly turns me off when it sounds like 140bhp machines. And stop comparing it to the turbos of the last turbo era this sounds nothing like it.

Do you dislike the overall F1 changes this year (engineering side)? Should they have gone in a different direction? I have not seen any other F1 seasons, so I'm not sure if the changes in engineering was part of a moving trend over the past few years or if it is a dramatic right-turn into a completely new direction that has people turned off.

#231 Edited by rethla (425 posts) -
@salvatron said:

Do you dislike the overall F1 changes this year (engineering side)? Should they have gone in a different direction? I have not seen any other F1 seasons, so I'm not sure if the changes in engineering was part of a moving trend over the past few years or if it is a dramatic right-turn into a completely new direction that has people turned off.

Well it was a long time comming change and in line with changes made in previous seasons so apart from the soundthing nothing really is a "dramatic right-turn". I really like what they are aiming for with less downforce and more power like the cars of old times becouse that sets up some good racing even if its pretty clear the 1000hp+ engines wont make a comeback.

Its a downer how they sound however, im not an engineer so i dont know what makes up the technical difference in sound but right now it just sounds like family sedans where all you hear when you rev up is an cheap whine and a low humm from the engine. With that said it doesnt ruin the sport for me ofc. and i have yet to experience the new sound irl so i will hold back my final verdict until summer when F1 rolls into europe :)

#232 Posted by diz (910 posts) -

@rethla said:

I think the rev limit has more to do with the sound of F1. It is now 15000 rpm - down from 18000 rpm allowed last year. Rev limits were imposed in 2007 at 19000 rpm because of the cost implications of designing engines that were sustaining ever higher revs. I'm personally not a fan of screaming engines, which is why I think the old-school high capacity V8's are best (like in Formula 5000 cars), since they tend to rev lower.

Having a turbo in the exhaust manifold is bound to reduce the sound from the engine - if you think about it. A few years ago, F1 engines often sounded like a bag of spanners due to electronic traction control in the corners. There is no pure F1 engine sound since they always evolve and accommodate various rule changes. But I think this year's volume reduction was an unintentional consequence of the more tightly toleranced turbos used than in the last turbo era - and it is this sound decrease that I hear most complaints directed against.

#233 Edited by Sessh (713 posts) -

Quote from the Malaysia pre racing weekend press conference:

Q: (Heikki Kulta - Turun Sanomat) Kimi, did you have any temptation to go to drive the simulator to get better settings for you?

KR:
No.

How can you not love that guy?

Anyways, I wonder if there really will be a monsoon like storm over the course of the whole weekend.

#234 Posted by Fruitcocoa (478 posts) -

Are you guys ready?!

#235 Posted by Khann (2787 posts) -

Lotus really have gone full HRT.

#236 Posted by EkajArmstro (380 posts) -

So if I don't have TV is there any legal place to watch?

#237 Edited by diz (910 posts) -

I don't know if the web site is regionally locked but think RTL (German Satellite channel) stream the entire F1 weekend. If it works but you can't abide the German commentary, then you could listen to BBC Radio 5 live via DAB or the web at the same time.

#238 Edited by EkajArmstro (380 posts) -

@diz: RTL does seem to be region locked, but thanks for the links!

#239 Posted by Gatehouse (581 posts) -

So guys, Friday practice has all been and gone in Sepang, and it seems that Mercedes are still on top of the pile. Hamilton topped the first session, Rosberg the other, although three cars (Rosberg, Raikkonen and Vettel) were only separated by less than a tenth.. It seems that Vettel has more pace than in Australia, but this was only practice, so it's still unclear what everyone's real pace is. Apart from Lotus, who still appear to be driving a car they built in the dark only using hammers.

#240 Posted by Sessh (713 posts) -

It's gonna be an interesting race, with mostly the same conditions than in the qualifying session.

Red Bull seems to be pretty good in the rain, so I think Vettel might take Hamilton right at the start (although I hope not). I think it's gonna be a four man battle for the win between Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel and Alonso.

#241 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (506 posts) -

I watch on the NBC Sports website here in the US . It asks for my cable provider (I have Cox) and it works. Not sure if/how it's confirming that without having to put in any information. They also have an app for Android and iOS.

#242 Posted by Salvatron (23 posts) -

During qualifying in Malaysia, there seemed to be a period in Q3 (might have been the end of Q2) where cars were going out with Intermediates when it was clearly Wet conditions (gigantic blinding plumes of spray from the track). Is the risk of putting on Wets only to have conditions change half way through that damning? When does driver safety take precedent?

#243 Edited by Sessh (713 posts) -

@salvatron: Well, driver safety sadly still isn't top priority in F1 at all times. It got significantly better in the last decade or so, though, with the FIA actually reacting quite fast if something needs to be done, as last seen with the change in helmet design after Felipe Massa's accident a few years back.

It was insanely dangerous business when the series was still new, pretty much up to about the 90's. Just check out some of the accidents that happened, e.g. to Lauda, Senna or Rindt.

I have to say, that what was going on in this qualifying didn't seem all to extreme, though.

#244 Posted by Salvatron (23 posts) -

@sessh: That Lauda crash was brutal.

#245 Posted by horseman6 (365 posts) -

Thanks to you all and the Alt F1 podcast, I gave F1 a try last week and I'm really enjoying it. I still don't understand a bunch of the terms but it's actually pretty fun to watch. I also heard today that it looks like there will be an American team in 2015 which sounds great.

#246 Edited by Sessh (713 posts) -

Well, this turned out to be a great race despite everyone's bad predictions.

Obviously Mercedes' dominance is unbroken and more than a minute to third place before the safety car speaks for itself, but at least Rosberg and Hamilton really duked it out. That's how it should be.

A lot of other great teammate duels happening aside from Mercedes too. Massa and Bottas were fun, as was Ricciardo and Vettel. Ricciardo finally getting some well deserved points is also cool.

The only disappointment for me, was that Ferrari was pretty much dead on the track the whole race.

Also, Maldonado is still just as crazy as ever. If you ask me he's definitely in the race for the first driver, who'll get a ban because of accumulating enough penalty points.

#247 Posted by asantosbr (118 posts) -

What a great fucking race...

The best one in a long time....

#248 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -