• 139 results
#1 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

This seems related enough to gaming to be interesting (since FPS Russia pops up pretty commonly in gaming circles and has been part of the promotion of some recent games, as well as doing a successful Kickstarter for their own game). Such a fucking weird thing to see pop up in the news feed early this morning. :/

One of the operators of a popular YouTube channel promoting high-powered guns and explosives was found shot to death last week in northeast Georgia.
Keith Ratliff, 32, was found dead at 5:45 p.m. Thursday on Hayes Road in Carnesville, said Franklin County Sheriff Steve Thomas in a press release.
Ratliff, of Frankfort, Ky., had been shot once in the head, and his death is a homicide. He had been dead for some time when the body was discovered, Thomas said. He was last seen alive Wednesday around 7 p.m.
The GBI has been called in to assist in the investigation, and Ratliff’s body was taken to the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta for an autopsy.
Ratliff, along with Kyle Lamar Myers, who appears in the popular online videos, operate the “FPSRussia” YouTube channel, which has 3.4 million subscribers. Videos posted on the channel have racked up more than a half-billion views. According to YouTube, FPSRussia is the ninth-most popular channel on the website.
Ratliff also operated a company out of Carnesville called FPS Industries. In video gamer jargon, FPS stands for first person shooter.
The Facebook page for FPS Industries indicates that the company, which sells “custom weaponry and weapon technologies,” is located on Hayes Road in Carnesville.
On his LinkedIn profile, Ratliff stated, “After a life of loving firearms and computers, I have combined both into one great new business that offers both viral marketing and quality firearms from one place. We are FPS Industries Global LLC, a type 10 Destructive Device Manufacturer and Viral Marketing superpower on YouTube and Facebook.”
source: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/operator-of-popular-youtube-channel-found-shot-to-/nTqHY/
#2 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

Yeah I heard about this a couple days ago. I'm just shocked, I'm sure FPSRussia or whatever his name is will be shitting himself.

#3 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@Nikoran said:

Yeah I heard about this a couple days ago. I'm just shocked, I'm sure FPSRussia or whatever his name is will be shitting himself.

It hasn't had much coverage in the last day since it was reported, so I'm hoping it doesn't just fall by the wayside. It will be interesting to find out whether this was just some personal confrontation thing, shady business going wrong, or something else.

#4 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

@Branthog: Well I'm sure FPSrussia or whatever will make a public statement, if he hasn't already. Who knows, its just strange in my opinion.

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Damn, you have to wonder though, with access and the desire to fire these types of weapons, what other types of activities, and people were these guys involved with?

#6 Posted by BaconBuTTy (171 posts) -

Obviously this is very sad, since a dude has died.

But as a brit, it's also kind of .... well, it's in keeping with my opinion that gun law is fucking bizarre in America.

Like, yeah. Of course someone involved with FPS russia has been found dead, after having been shot. With a gun. Yep. I can believe that completely. Didn't even do a double take. Yup. With all those guns around you, and gun business and dealings with guns. yes. Someone got delierately shot to death.

Shocker.

#7 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

Obviously this is very sad, since a dude has died. But as a brit, it's also kind of .... well, it's in keeping with my opinion that gun law is fucking bizarre in America. Like, yeah. Of course someone involved with FPS russia has been found dead, after having been shot. With a gun. Yep. I can believe that completely. Didn't even do a double take. Yup. With all those guns around you, and gun business and dealings with guns. yes. Someone got delierately shot to death. Shocker.

Huh? I don't really get your point. Do you really think that someone with a legally owned firearm executed the guy? Or do you think that we just have guns overflowing in bargain bins around here and we're tripping over them or something? I'm not really sure what "gun law" has to do with this guy getting killed, just because he's involved in business where he shows some weapons? Or that this person wouldn't have just stabbed him or beat him to death with a baseball bat if that was all they had?

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@BaconBuTTy
Obviously this is very sad, since a dude has died.

But as a brit, it's also kind of .... well, it's in keeping with my opinion that gun law is fucking bizarre in America.

Like, yeah. Of course someone involved with FPS russia has been found dead, after having been shot. With a gun. Yep. I can believe that completely. Didn't even do a double take. Yup. With all those guns around you, and gun business and dealings with guns. yes. Someone got delierately shot to death.

Shocker.
This has nothing to do with gun laws.
#9 Edited by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy:

people like you are hilarious with your jumps in logic

murder is something that cannot be prevented, it will occur even if you outlawed every single method and tool for killing, people are murdered inside of prisons everyday

now scurry back to your own country's issues and stop trying to argue against a core founding policy of a country you don't even live in

#10 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

Obviously this is very sad, since a dude has died. But as a brit, it's also kind of .... well, it's in keeping with my opinion that gun law is fucking bizarre in America. Like, yeah. Of course someone involved with FPS russia has been found dead, after having been shot. With a gun. Yep. I can believe that completely. Didn't even do a double take. Yup. With all those guns around you, and gun business and dealings with guns. yes. Someone got delierately shot to death. Shocker.

As a Brit, you have more violent crime per capita than the United States. It's publicly available information. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

#11 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@videogamesarenotart said:

@BaconBuTTy:

people like you are hilarious with your jumps in logic

murder is not something that cannot be prevented, it will occur even if you outlawed every single method and tool for killing, people are murdered inside of prisons everyday

now scurry back to your own country's issues and stop trying to argue against a core founding policy of a country you don't even live in

I think that may be a tiny bit harsh. I mean, if he's asserting that if there were no guns around then nobody would be shot with them, then that is certainly true -- but that's not going to happen. Even in the UK (though it's significantly reduced). If the assertion is that there would be no murder without a gun, then that is of course crazy since there are not only people killed with knives and other weapons, but in mass numbers. Even in one incident. I assume it's still the case that (like earlier in the decade), doctors in the UK are pushing for "long kitchen knives" to be banned, because of their use in violent crimes. (see: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm)

Either way, we have to remember that we have a lot of misconceptions about people in other parts of the world and they have a lot of misconceptions about us. We may be the largest exporter of "culture" on the planet, but all of that "culture" is primarily in the form of sensational news reports, movies, music, and video games. Not necessarily things that convey the day to day existence for people in this country. People in other countries may not know that most of us don't carry weapons. Or that most of us don't even *own* them. And that most people have probably never even fired a gun. That you don't see people toting pistols through the city, that people don't go around brandishing weapons, that most crimes aren't committed with legally obtained weapons, that people don't solve fights with weapons, and that it's pretty much relegated to the criminal element when doing criminal things. I have fired guns on precisely two occasions in my entire life. At ranges, with professionals. I have never seen a gun in real life in public, walking the streets or going to a store or dinner or something. The only time i have ever come into contact with a gun except those two times at gun ranges were the one time when I was eight yeras old and a FUCKING IRS AGENT pointed one right at our faces (my mom, my infant sister, and myself) when my mom and I were out shopping at the mall, because they were confiscating the vehicle we were in, which belonged to my step-dad (who was apparently working under the table and not paying his taxes).

Which is the reason I posed the questions I did about his comment. It seems unclear to me exactly what he's asserting and it sounds like it's probably a misunderstanding. I mean, it's not like the guns that the FPS Russia guy uses in his videos are commonly owned and hanging in the gun rack of every redneck and hillbilly in the country. His videos are interesting, precisely because these are uncommon weapons that people don't own or use and he uses them in the context of a company that is involved in firearms. Finding some irony or justice in his producer/manager being killed with someone using a gun in an execution would be kind of like saying that someone who handles show-dogs, professionally, should have seen it coming that they would be mauled by a neighbor's dog that got lose and was rabid or something.

#12 Posted by The_Nubster (2053 posts) -

@Branthog: Valid points, but I don't think telling him to shut up and leave is harsh. He came in here of his own accord, put himself in a position where he thought he was above everyone involved, and snarked his way into this mess. What he said was uninformed, and he's obviously largely ignorant of American culture and crime statistics, but he still saw it fit to throw his own clearly superior opinion in to the mix. He's getting what he deserved for his stupid assertions.

#13 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

Man... really? That's a weak grasp for straws if I've ever read one.

#14 Edited by AlexW00d (6189 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@BaconBuTTy said:

As a Brit, you have more violent crime per capita than the United States. It's publicly available information. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

And the homicide rate in the US is about 3 times higher. Comparing statistics that aren't comparable is pretty dumb.

@Branthog: I think his point was more that there are still guns here (and they're fairly easy to come across) yet there were only like 3 murders attributed to guns last year. Well that probably wasn't his point exactly, but that's generally what people mean when it comes to this stuff. Switzerland for example has similar gun laws to the US, and very few people ever die by guns there.

#15 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I AM actually quite shocked when it is revealed that ANYONE was shot in what could seemingly be an execution type circumstance. This sounds like a pretty violent crime, and without knowing much about this person's background other than that he worked for a highly popular YouTube channel, it seems like there might be some serious things going on here. Scary stuff.

#16 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Subjugation said:

@BaconBuTTy said:

And the homicide rate in the US is about 3 times higher. Comparing statistics that aren't comparable is pretty dumb.

@Branthog: I think his point was more that there are still guns here (and they're fairly easy to come across) yet there were only like 3 murders attributed to guns last year. Well that probably wasn't his point exactly, but that's generally what people mean when it comes to this stuff. Switzerland for example has similar gun laws to the US, and very few people ever die by guns there.

Yeah, but there's a lot more motherfuckers need killin' in the US. :P

#17 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

I think what you're saying here is, and correct me if I'm wrong: 'he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword?' I mean, since this is homicide, it's probably something symbolic...would that be a correct interpretation?

Still, the poor guy didn't deserve that. He just made videos that entertained people...still, guns are guns, despite the fact that he 'could' have been beaten to death, stabbed or hit by a car, he wasn't and I think this was a kind of an attention grabbing situation. Whether it was by another fame-seeking disturbed individual, or just a random attack that ended in the death of a man who has done no wrong, we'll have to wait and see.

#18 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

I AM actually quite shocked when it is revealed that ANYONE was shot in what could seemingly be an execution type circumstance. This sounds like a pretty violent crime, and without knowing much about this person's background other than that he worked for a highly popular YouTube channel, it seems like there might be some serious things going on here. Scary stuff.

Totally. If the way they described it is legitimate, it makes me wonder about organized crime.

#19 Posted by Schnatterfleck (36 posts) -

I am with BaconBuTTy here. Never miss a chance to highlight messed up gun laws, no matter where it is and to give you something to work with: I am German :-)

#20 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I just read about what happened. It's pretty crazy. You know that guy has thousands if not hundreds of thousands worth of arms in his house. So if nothing was stolen then something really bad must have been going on. Like Sleepy Dawgs bad. I just got done playing that game so it's fresh in my head, but I'd imagine something like that taking place.

#21 Edited by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

@AlexW00d: I'll just post the video that I saw and let you draw your own conclusions, but I think it made some salient points.

#22 Posted by l4wd0g (1912 posts) -

I wonder if it was a left wing, anti-gun nut, extremist.

#23 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@l4wd0g said:

I wonder if it was a left wing, anti-gun nut, extremist.

Probably influenced by violent video games, too.

#24 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1044 posts) -

He should have gotten guns to protect himself...oh wait...

#25 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

What an awkward jump in logic. Some people are just sick.

#26 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

Cue the average gun nut/idiot claiming that the 2nd amendment was written to protect the people from the gov't, when James Madison had written MANY papers explaining why the 2nd amendment was written TO PROTECT THE STATE! They wanted a well regulated MILITIA to protect the GOV'T - not to go against it. Ever heard of the whiskey rebellion? They killed those who were against the gov't!

We have a right to have guns, derp

#27 Posted by TheHT (10921 posts) -

This thread got derailed quick.

#28 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/user/kydivemaster/videos?view=0

That's the youtube channel of the guy who was shot in the head

#29 Edited by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@nail1080 said:

Cue the average gun nut/idiot claiming that the 2nd amendment was written to protect the people from the gov't, when James Madison had written MANY papers explaining why the 2nd amendment was written TO PROTECT THE STATE! They wanted a well regulated MILITIA to protect the GOV'T - not to go against it. Ever heard of the whiskey rebellion? They killed those who were against the gov't!

Well, not that I want to go down the rabbit-hole, but this seems like a fair point to make a clarification:

Well, no, all of the amendments were written to protect the citizen from the government. You'll note it isn't "giving you" rights, but limited the government's infringement of them. People seem to completely misunderstand the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (or, rather, they just haven't read it). You already have all your rights. They are inherent. The Constitution is about placing explicit limitations on what the government can do, you know, because of the history of the colonists formerly coming from a government that sort of . . . ya know.

This is why the whole "gay marriage" thing is so idiotic. You don't need anything in the constitution about gay marriage. It's a free country and you just *have* that inherent right to get married. Presumably, they didn't feel the need to produce a giant tome that lists every single freedom a human being is capable of having, for obvious reasons.

Notice the wording of, say, the first two amendments:

1) Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2) ...right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

The second amendment doesn't grant people the right to "bear arms". That right is inherent. The second amendment ONLY says the government can not infringe that right. (This makes your whole comment about "protecting the government" kind of silly, since the second amendment says nothing about anything except that the government can't infringe people's right to weapons - period). Also, it doesn't say "right of the militia shall not be infringed". It says the right of the people shall not be infringed.

The first amendment doesn't grant you the right to free speech. You already have it. The first amendment just tells the government that they are not allowed in any way whatsoever to control or limit your free speech.

I don't care about guns. I don't use them. I don't fetishize them. Outside of the ones in games, I don't even know their names. I do care about the Constitution and I'm not willing to pick and choose which ones are worth giving a damn about, because they're all worth upholding. Even the later ones, that given women the right to vote and stuff. :P

#30 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (947 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@AlexW00d: I'll just post the video that I saw and let you draw your own conclusions, but I think it made some salient points.

Oh, you are so silly mr.videoman. The way you reduce violent crime figures is to reclassify what constitutes a violent crime classification.

#31 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@Branthog said:

I don't care about guns. I don't use them. I don't fetishize them. Outside of the ones in games, I don't even know their names. I do care about the Constitution.

Good for you for caring about something you clearly don't understand. GG

#32 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

@BaconBuTTy said:

What constitutes a violent crime though? The US had 14,748 murders in 2010, the UK had 722.

#33 Posted by BaconGames (3302 posts) -

Without getting into statistics and the inanity of gun law debate from the left and right, domestic and international people, there's a few things we need to break down and understand here.

The moral worry and the only justifiable situation that a gun law would even affect here is that someone was literally not going to murder someone any other way until they got access to a gun. Ostensibly there is an unspoken premise that guns enable murder in a way other implements do not. (The only other way a gun law would be practical were safety/storage laws that lower the rate of accidental discharges in homes, especially ones with pets and children). As a result, people are making an association in their minds between how the person was murdered, with a gun, and the fact that they showcased guns as a feature of the channel, under that premise. In making that association, the next step would be to disrupt the logic of the premise with a policy answer: control the guns if they have this transformative power. I'm only here to point out that in making the supeficial association between the murder and the YT channel, it's really about beliefs about guns and gun laws than the murder, at least for those who've turned the discussion into that.

Secondly, murder weapon/access and motive/crime are two entirely different things. The use of the gun is one aspect that shouldn't necessarily be shrugged off but regardless of political views, is not the literal basis for explaining or accounting for the crime. When police investigators discover that a firearm was used, they don't stop there and say "welp, he had a gun so it must be because he had a gun, case closed." Who did it, how, when, why, all these things are what really matter in this situation in which a gun being used is part of it. The only real worry would be if due to their attention they ran afoul of something or someone without realizing. As a crime, the circumstances are troubling in how little can be deduced or known from the act itself.

#34 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

@Subjugation: Do you know what is HILARIOUS, the dude that got murdered his last tweet was promoting that video. A lot of people have been talking about how the FBI stats used in the video are not reliable at all, because oddly enough they want to make it look like there is less crime.  Example below, just look at murder per capita and guess what "AMERICA FUCK YEAH" is the winner. I say that his last tweet is hilarious, which i admit is kinda cruel but when the NRA and dumb republican leaders say that gun murders can be prevented by having more guns around I think its telling when a dude that has a shit ton of guns gets straight up murdered by a gun then something is wrong. 

Firstly.... the FBI statistics only see what happened at Columbine or Sandy Hook as 1 single example of a murder crime in each case, not 28 murders as happened in Sandy Hook.
They use the 'Hierarchy Rule' where only the most serious offense in a multiple-offense criminal incident be counted.
Secondly..... their definition of death and weapon related incidents does not include deaths caused by negligence, suicide or accident.
Justifiable hom icide, attempted murder or assaults that eventually lead to the death/murder of a person, contrary to the UK but according to the FBI statistics, are merely regarded as aggravated assaults.
So, for example, the 257 children under 10 years of age that died prematurely of gunshot wounds in the USA in one year, are not included in the FBI's gun related deaths and crime statistics..... or someone shot during a crime but who only later died of medical complications due to the gunshot, are not included in crime statistics either.
The statistics are hugely manipulated, and the reason it appears there is a 50% decrease is because 20 years ago, 28 people would have been counted as murdered at Sandy Hook.... today, it is just 1 murder incident.
Incidentally, the US Bureau of Justice Statistics state that in 2009, there was 3466 crimes per 100,000..... but according to the FBI and the gentleman talking in this video, there where only 439 crimes per 100,000 in 2009!

FBI table, what constitutes a "violent crime":
(source

Murder and nonnegligent manslaughter
Forcible rape
Robbery
Aggravated assault

Home Office table, what constitutes a "violent crime": 
(source )
Murder
Manslaughter
Infanticide
Attempted murder
Intentional destruction of viable unborn child
Causing death by dangerous driving
Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs
Causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving
Inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent
Use of substance or object to endanger life
Possession of items to endanger life
Inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) without intent
Racially or religiously aggravated inflicting GBH without intent
Causing death by aggravated vehicle taking
Causing or allowing death of a child or vulnerable person
Causing death by driving: unlicensed drivers, etc.
Corporate manslaughter
Actual bodily harm (ABH) and other injury
Racially or religiously aggravated ABH and other injury
Poisoning or female genital mutilation
Conspiracy to murder
Threats to kill
Endangering railway passengers
Endangering life at sea
Possession of firearms with intent
Possession of other weapons
Possession of article with blade or point
Harassment
Public fear, alarm or distress
Racially or religiously aggravated harassment
Racially or religiously aggravated public fear, alarm or distress
Cruelty to and neglect of children
Abandoning a child under the age of two years
Child abduction
Procuring illegal abortion
Assault without injury on a constable
Assault without injury
Racially or religiously aggravated assault without injury

#35 Posted by Humanity (8846 posts) -

@Nikoran said:

@Branthog: Well I'm sure FPSrussia or whatever will make a public statement, if he hasn't already. Who knows, its just strange in my opinion.

Do you think he will make a public statement in his regular voice, or do the scumbag move and keep to that fake accent persona while talking about his dead friend in order to not alienate potential viewers?

#36 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

@Branthog: IRS agents have guns???? D:

#37 Posted by benpicko (2001 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

Exactly my reaction as well

#38 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@nail1080 said:

Well, not that I want to go down the rabbit-hole, but this seems like a fair point to make a clarification:

Well, no, all of the amendments were written to protect the citizen from the government. You'll note it isn't "giving you" rights, but limited the government's infringement of them. People seem to completely misunderstand the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (or, rather, they just haven't read it). You already have all your rights. They are inherent. The Constitution is about placing explicit limitations on what the government can do, you know, because of the history of the colonists formerly coming from a government that sort of . . . ya know.

This is why the whole "gay marriage" thing is so idiotic. You don't need anything in the constitution about gay marriage. It's a free country and you just *have* that inherent right to get married. Presumably, they didn't feel the need to produce a giant tome that lists every single freedom a human being is capable of having, for obvious reasons.

Notice the wording of, say, the first two amendments:

1) Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2) ...right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

The second amendment doesn't grant people the right to "bear arms". That right is inherent. The second amendment ONLY says the government can not infringe that right. (This makes your whole comment about "protecting the government" kind of silly, since the second amendment says nothing about anything except that the government can't infringe people's right to weapons - period). Also, it doesn't say "right of the militia shall not be infringed". It says the right of the people shall not be infringed.

The first amendment doesn't grant you the right to free speech. You already have it. The first amendment just tells the government that they are not allowed in any way whatsoever to control or limit your free speech.

I don't care about guns. I don't use them. I don't fetishize them. Outside of the ones in games, I don't even know their names. I do care about the Constitution and I'm not willing to pick and choose which ones are worth giving a damn about, because they're all worth upholding. Even the later ones, that given women the right to vote and stuff. :P

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#39 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

I love how every murder thread gets turned into another gun law debate.

#40 Posted by TruthTellah (8559 posts) -

It really does make you wonder. Considering all of the tension right now over guns and the fact that he was basically executed in his store with nothing stolen, I get the feeling that this might have been an anti-gun advocate trying to make a statement.

As some have already shown here, people get a kick out of the irony of a gun promoter being killed by a gun; so, it's possible that was the point they were trying to make.

#41 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -
@BaconBuTTy I know right? The parking lots of gun and knife shows are just absolute bloodbaths. Murder rates in the surrounding towns skyrocket afterwards. People are just murder-monsters with nothing but access to weapons holding us back.

Oh wait no none of that is true.
#42 Posted by BaconBuTTy (171 posts) -

Okay, so. Yeah. I made that post while I was at work and then came home to see lots of replies.

I'm a Brit. Our gun laws are different to the point of US gun laws seeming utterly bizarre. I was merely pointing out that there is some kind of logic, or macabre poetry to this guy having been shot to death. I wasn't like. Making a statement about gun law, or anything.

To me. From my perspective. It's... y'know what. Fuck it.

I wasn't making a gun control statement.

#43 Edited by BaconBuTTy (171 posts) -

@The_Nubster: Holy shit I didn't even read your post.

Okay. Yeah. I owe people an apology.

I do not live in America and I am ignorant on the nuances of gun control and the constitution.

So yeah. I didn't mean to turn this thread into that.

[EDIT] "Live by the sword, Die by the sword" is exactly the kind of *observation* I was trying to make. I mentioned gun laws because from our perspective, YouTube channels like FPS Russia are weird, scary and at a glance, dangerous (but entertaining!). And it all fits in with the feeling I got when I read this dude had been shot to death.

Again. Not a statement.

The mistake I made here was briefly mentioning gun control, because holy fuck, apparently that gets rootin tootin' gun totin' yanks fired up huh?!

(That may have been a subtle statement about control, but only that last part)

#44 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@BaconBuTTy said:

@The_Nubster: Holy shit I didn't even read your post.

Okay. Yeah. I owe people an apology.

I do not live in America and I am ignorant on the nuances of gun control and the constitution.

So yeah. I didn't mean to turn this thread into that.

[EDIT] "Live by the sword, Die by the sword" is exactly the kind of *observation* I was trying to make. I mentioned gun laws because from our perspective, YouTube channels like FPS Russia are weird, scary and at a glance, dangerous (but entertaining!). And it all fits in with the feeling I got when I read this dude had been shot to death.

Again. Not a statement.

The mistake I made here was briefly mentioning gun control, because holy fuck, apparently that gets rootin tootin' gun totin' yanks fired up huh?!

(That may have been a subtle statement about control, but only that last part)

Shooting guns as a hobby does not mean you "live by the sword." If this individual went around shooting people and then got shot, then "live by the sword, die by the sword" would fit.

It's like saying a race car driver "lived by the sword and died by the sword" when he was walking down the street and got run over by a cement truck.

#45 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Subjugation said:

@BaconBuTTy said:

Switzerland's also one of the wealthiest countries in the world, with excellent social security, and a very high average income per head. That's to be considered.

Switzerland's got a militia army, so almost every Swiss male between the ages of 18 and 45 (or so) has an assault rilfe & 10 shots of ammo at home. Outside of that, guns and ammo don't seem easily available to me at all. Buying ammo at Walmart? There's no such thing.

What little gun violence does happen, is usually commited with these ARs. In most cases that'd be suicide. Switzerland is a world leader in suicides. I'd bet if ARs weren't as readily available, gun violence would go from little to zero.

#46 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

btw.

...am I the first to mention that FPS Russia most definitely is the prime suspect in this case? And from what I've seen in his videos, I'd not be surprised by him being the culprit either.

#47 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

Well shit. That is just insane. Then again if you are in a place with tons of guns and one wrong man or woman gets in there things can go down. I really hope that this does not get any messier for anyone. :(

#48 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@Seppli said:

btw.

...am I the first to mention, that FPS Russia most definitely is suspect numero uno in this case? And from what I've seen in his videos, I'd not be surprised by him being the culprit either.

I don't know much about him other than he's clearly some actor playing the role of a stereotyped russian for a youtube channel. Why would you say that he seems like the suspect? Just because he handles weapons? Or personality-wise or something? I mean, it seems hard to pick up someone's personality when they're pretending to be someone else, anyway...?

#49 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

In any case, his channel is probably going to go kaput now. Too bad : <

#50 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@Seppli said:

btw.

...am I the first to mention, that FPS Russia most definitely is suspect numero uno in this case? And from what I've seen in his videos, I'd not be surprised by him being the culprit either.

I don't know much about him other than he's clearly some actor playing the role of a stereotyped russian for a youtube channel. Why would you say that he seems like the suspect? Just because he handles weapons? Or personality-wise or something? I mean, it seems hard to pick up someone's personality when they're pretending to be someone else, anyway...?

They're business partners. They're supposedly friends. Business, friendship, money, guns - don't necessarily mix. There's likely more commonalities, and hence more possible reasons for conflict between the two. That definitely puts him on the suspect list.

About that dude's personality however... let's just say I always had a gut feeling about that dude. Much of his on-air persona and comments make me feel queasy. Most of it seems genuine.