France has banned the veil and the full-body Muslim coverings. Agree or disagree with this? (Q of the Day 9-15-10)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I disagree.  It's part of their religion, and veils look awesome.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By blair

I agree, wholeheartedly.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By astrotriforce

I agree with this. The rights of a woman should trump "religious" freedom in this case. You can worship how you want but when it imposes on the freedom of someone else to the extent that they have to cover their entire face or bodies, that, IMHO, shouldn't be allowed in free society's (as one girl said you can't drive like that or you might kill someone. Probably why women are banned from driving in some Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia). Headscarfs are fine. If you really wanna cover your hair, more power to you, but when it comes to these types of Muslim laws/traditions/oppression I think we should firmly reject it. 

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Surely this is a breach of human rights?

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268

I don't care. I don't understand why they want to wear veils and those full body dresses. But I don't understand why they shouldn't be allowed to either.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheJohn

Freedom means wearing whatever the fuck you want-
I like freedom

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

Another evidence that, because of too much time on their hands, politicians and governments come up with the most stupidest and freedom depriving rulings.  

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By astrotriforce
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" I disagree.  It's part of their religion, and veils look awesome. "
o_O Veils look awesome? I think a woman's face looks awesome.
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Jayzilla

there are two things wrong with this. first off, they are disgracing what people believe in and what they do to honor those beliefs. the second, they are shaming those women who believe they are shamed by not wearing that garb. finally, another country is doing something to make the community mad besides my country.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By meteora

Let them be. Just because a small violent minority of Muslims violently hate us and view the Muslim teachings different from any other Muslims, doesn't mean we have to spoil the fun for the others. 

Of course, I live in Canada and we haven't experienced any terrorist threats yet, for some reasons. We're probably too small of a target for them to hit; and most of those terrorist attacks has been thwarted somehow.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's a tricky one. On one hand, it's part of their religion and if the women freely want to wear the burqa, that should be her choice. However, in the majority of cases it is a man forcing the woman to wear it against her wishes. It's oppressive and wrong. And it's not easy to tell the difference between a woman freely wearing a burqa and a woman being forced to do so, so the legislation does make a lot of sense. I'm still not convinced that it's completely the right thing to do, but similarly I'm not against it either.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

I agree for security purposes, but disagree that they should ban women from wearing something under the guise of women's rights. What a fucking joke.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Meowshi
@astrotriforce said:
" I agree with this. The rights of a woman should trump "religious" freedom in this case. You can worship how you want but when it imposes on the freedom of someone else to the extent that they have to cover their entire face or bodies, that, IMHO, shouldn't be allowed in free society's (as one girl said you can't drive like that or you might kill someone. Probably why women are banned from driving in some Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia). Headscarfs are fine. If you really wanna cover your hair, more power to you, but when it comes to these types of Muslim laws/traditions/oppression I think we should firmly reject it.  "
If a woman wants to wear a veil, she should be able to. 

Saying she can't is just as bad as forcing her to wear one. 

It's just that their culture views modesty differently than ours.  Some cultures think us having women covering their breasts are ridiculous.  That doesn't mean we should outlaw shirts.   

Look, I agree that countries that force women to wear veils are wrong, but forcing them not to is the EXACT SAME THING.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very strongly disagree.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

They'll either won't get bombed because they won't go there or they'll get bombed double because they don't like the law.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By halberdierv2

if they want to wear it as an expression of their religion, fine, but due to the times, it also obscures the person's identity completely most of the time, and that leads to a big security risk. i wouldve made it a provisional ban as opposed to a permenant one... when this Al-Qaieda war has passed, then re-allow it.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Popogeejo
@astrotriforce: If you're for the rights of women then shouldn't you support their right to choose whether or not they wear the veils? Sure, some are forced and pressured into it but plenty still choose. 
It's completely out of line to dictate what people wear, for religious reasons or not. It's one thing to oppose the extremer elements of Sharia law but it's another to remove any choice in the matter all together. 
You should be maximizing choice, not removing it.
Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kiro

People should wear what they want, this is retarded.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By tebbit
@MattyFTM said:
" It's a tricky one. On one hand, it's part of their religion and if the women freely want to wear the burqa, that should be her choice. However, in the majority of cases it is a man forcing the woman to wear it against her wishes. It's oppressive and wrong. And it's not easy to tell the difference between a woman freely wearing a burqa and a woman being forced to do so, so the legislation does make a lot of sense. I'm still not convinced that it's completely the right thing to do, but similarly I'm not against it either. "
This sums up my feelings in a concise and educated manner. 

That's why I voted Disagree! Banning them outright is taking away the choice of the women who want to wear them. What they should really ban is oppressive husbands. Or oppressive religions, though that one might be a bit rougher on the old... society as a whole.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Tebbit: 

Or maybe "banning" things isn't a good idea, especially in this case. Yes, men forcing women to wear burqas is wrong, but there must be better ways to stop that. Ones that still allow women to wear burqas if they want.
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nasar7

When did this happen? This is ridiculous. All of my veil-wearing Muslim friends wear it by choice as a symbol of their devotion. This legislation is both discriminatory and xenophobic, as well as a touch self-righteous and condescending.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 9cupsoftea

let people do what they want, the stupidity of burqas would have disappeared anyway over time.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august

If you ban these coverings, these women will simply not be allowed to leave the house at all. So if this law is supposed to be helping them, it won't.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By tebbit
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Tebbit:   Or maybe "banning" things isn't a good idea, especially in this case. Yes, men forcing women to wear burqas is wrong, but there must be better ways to stop that. Ones that still allow women to wear burqas if they want. "
It seems like that's more an inherent problem with the religion than anything else though. If it weren't mandated, I guess the husbands wouldn't be forcing it upon them, right? Then again I have no idea how Islam operates. 

I mean, they could make a law that just says "Although the Islamic faith requires women to wear a veil or headdress, in France you totally don't have to, but feel free if you dig it". This brings up the daunting question of law V.S. Religion. Oh nooooooo!
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By actionTACO

it must be fun to have not only one but two patriarchal organizations trying to tell you what you can and can't wear

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By roborobb

If I can wear my Cat Belt Buckle, anyone can wear anything they like.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meowshi
@Tebbit said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @Tebbit:   Or maybe "banning" things isn't a good idea, especially in this case. Yes, men forcing women to wear burqas is wrong, but there must be better ways to stop that. Ones that still allow women to wear burqas if they want. "
It seems like that's more an inherent problem with the religion than anything else though. If it weren't mandated, I guess the husbands wouldn't be forcing it upon them, right? Then again I have no idea how Islam operates.  I mean, they could make a law that just says "Although the Islamic faith requires women to wear a veil or headdress, in France you totally don't have to, but feel free if you dig it". This brings up the daunting question of law V.S. Religion. Oh nooooooo! "
All the Koran says is that women should dress modestly.  That's it.   
Why it has been taken to this extreme is beyond my knowledge.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By TheHT
@Meowshi said:
" @Tebbit said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
It seems like that's more an inherent problem with the religion than anything else though. If it weren't mandated, I guess the husbands wouldn't be forcing it upon them, right? Then again I have no idea how Islam operates.  I mean, they could make a law that just says "Although the Islamic faith requires women to wear a veil or headdress, in France you totally don't have to, but feel free if you dig it". This brings up the daunting question of law V.S. Religion. Oh nooooooo! "
All the Koran says is that women should dress modestly.  That's it.   Why it has been taken to this extreme is beyond my knowledge. "
Culture.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Meowshi: 

Because Islamic fundamentalism saw a rise in popularity since the 1950s. Just another reason to hate that decade. Here's another: every Cold War game ever made. Also, racism and McCarthy.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Kiro said:
" People should wear what they want, this is retarded. "
But as has been said..  much of the time it's not something the women want.  They're either forced to wear it, or feel obligated because of their religion.
It's a tricky subject.  I don't want to disrespect anyones religion, but to me it seems like an outdated tradition, and if this is something that helps these women gain more equality and freedom, then I think it's a good thing.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

It's a complicated issue, I really don't know where I stand exactly. On one hand it's good to let people be, on the other hand, in France, it's getting to be a problem with security, with safety (when completely covered up women drive, they have extremely reduced visibility), and it's another cultural wall to deal with. 

dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dyong

I agree with it, under certain conditions:
1) That it's France and not a largely muslim country.
2) That its people largely wanted this to happen.
3) That France doesn't impose its ruling on foreign nationals. 

In any case, the winds of public opinion does sometimes shift, and they can always reverse the ruling later, and should if they want to.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I agree.

Wear it if you want but there's too much pressure and no free will in most cases so if they can't play nice then take it away.
It's especially true here in Holland.
They cover their face totally but wear a mini skirt at the same time...
Get the fuck out.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I don't respect she-ra law, or whatever you call it so I agree.

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By actionTACO

boy, i sure hope the people saying that the vast majority of muslim womem in france only wear the veil because they're forced to have some sort of source or survey to back that up or they're going to seem like a bunch of uneducated bigots. 

"hey ladies, i know you're only wearing those because those mean old husbands of your make you. so, we're going to ban them entirely because you dames are clearly too dumb and weak to make that decision yourself. you're welcome."

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree. I'm pretty sure that most if not all muslim women in the west enjoy the empowerment of the burqa and it's religious associations, despite what the media says otherwise. They firmly believe that and they show it. I don't have an issue with this. I have grown up knowing and understanding Islam for what it really is since i was a child. It's against the womens' religious rights, and shows that a government is succumbing to media pressure, every god damn time.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Endogene

Perhaps I should point out  that for the moment this is just a law proposition by the senat and not a actual law.  

Quite a nuance.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gizmo

I don't understand this, are they going to ban women dressing like whores as well?

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By illmatic19

If a French woman goes to a Middle Eastern country, they will make her wear a Hijab. Isn't that a breach of human rights?

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Chandu83

I strongly believe that France has the right to do what it wants. 

If Iran has the right to say all women should wear a veil of some sort, then France can definitely impose a ban. I mean I think its dumb to make women wear a veil anyway. I don't think any woman would chose to do it unless she has been told repeatedly from a young age to do so. 

Either way, I see this as a positive change. 

Heh, maybe America should start something like this too.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By crusader8463

It's never good when any government votes to take away peoples choices on any subject. No matter how big or small.

Avatar image for thedukeofargyll
TheDukeofArgyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheDukeofArgyll

I picked 'let them do what they want', but it was aimed at letting France do what they want ...

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Chandu83
@illmatic19:  About time someone asked that question. lol.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illmatic19 said:
" If a French woman goes to a Middle Eastern country, they will make her wear a Hijab. Isn't that a breach of human rights? "
Foreign women have to wear one anyway, as a cultural custom. Like in Japan you have top bow to someone who bows to you.
Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Chandu83
@Gizmo:  Please don't call women whores man. I mean come on...
actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By actionTACO
@Gizmo said:
" I don't understand this, are they going to ban women dressing like whores as well? "
Clearly, western women only wear mini-skirts because they're either pressured to by popular media or forced to by their boyfriends. Ban all mini-skirts for their own good. 

see how fucking stupid that sounds
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

People deserve freedom. Even if they were doing it because those items are oppressive and sexist, it would be wrong. But they aren't, this is just another piece of paranoia around the world that muslims are evil, blah blah blah.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bybeach

I agree with matty FTM on Burqas really a reactionary requirement by men within their religion,.. but not always. Also I feel it justifies what ppl. suspect, that Muslims will not mix with the population at large but stay aloof, and implications worse than that. Burqas have proven to be excellent wraps for bombs. 

We do not need to see women wearing clothes like a second skin, or less. that lady reporter who interviewed the NY Jets with extremely tight clothes was being kinda silly. But it is good and healthy to see a face, to understand what a person is expressing and perhaps thinking, and it's an uneven deal when one party is wrapped head to toe. Rather arrogant also, which is the real rub.  

I guess I feel this way, Religion is okay, but leave your weird shit back where you came from, and participate in western society if you have positively placed yourself here. It's just part of the deal.

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Chandu83
@Prolix said:
" I agree with anything that fights the muslim takeover!  My friends resterant wont serve muslims  and has his off duty employees come in to harass them if they try and stick around.  Talk loudly and bump the sits and what not.  If the muslims try an say something, they act as if it's their fault and kick them out.  Great to watch!  Glad to see the French take a stand against their oppression!  To bad Americans don't have the balls too.  Freedom of Speech my ass.     Burn a flag, it's freedom of speech.  Burn an Koran and it's religious oppression.   Muslims are the modern NAACP.  "
That will teach those guys to not burn flags. Its time the western world starting taking a stance on this muslim expansion.