Free Comic Book Day 2015

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So is there anything other than free comics at this thing? I know you can get most of the free comics on Comixology. I was looking it up on the comic shop nearest to my house, and it says the line up starts at 7am. I'm interested, but not to that extent. Anyone have any experiences they can share?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I remember the first one starting up when I used to frequent a comic shop. You go in and get a bunch of free comics, it's great. I doubt you'll get anything other than comics for free, but who knows. Maybe the store closest to you will have some other shit to hand out.

The fun part about it is shops can get pretty packed, and it can basically just turn into a bunch of folks hanging out talking about comics and such. I'd say you might as well check out the shop close to you and see what's up. If anything you'll come out of it with some free shit. Digital comics are great, but there's something nice about having a physical book to look at.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped going last year. The cost in gas & stress just wasn't worth it anymore. The shop owner is nice enough, but the people buying stuff there are just rude.

I had too many people complaining and using rather blue language that it wasn't fair that my toddler got a few of the comics aimed at kids because the shop got so few of them and they'd run out quick. My kid doesn't need to be around people like that.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#4  Edited By Kidavenger
hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I got Invincible 118 from Comixology, that's about it.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess i'm okay with meeting new people but no huge crowds.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GabrielCantor

I'm lucky enough to now have a comic shop SUPER close to my house that isn't super packed either, the idea of lining up at 7am sounds insane. I don't really get much from the free side of things anymore, I used to get Atomic Robo (which is consistently amazing every year and I HIGHLY encourage people to get on Comixology) but they only do digital now. I usually just use it as an excuse to get some trade paperbacks of other series, such as Morning Glories this year. MOST stores also have sales other stuff, like the one near my gives 25% off everything that isn't current issues. One of the only free things I grabbed this year was an issue of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure because I just couldn't pass that up.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work at a half-price books, we were giving out free comics earlier with every purchase if people wanted them :) Or at least I assume we were since I'm off today :D

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live near a few comic shops. One of them (the one I buy mine from) doesn't do FCBD like others, which is to order in a bunch of promotional comics and reprints and give them out free, instead they just let you take a comic from your standing order for free. The others get the promotional comics and give them out in different ways. One does it blind, another lets you take one of each. The one that lets you take one of each has a massive queue. One of them got in a cupcake place to give out some free cupcakes.

Like @kidavenger said, you get a lot of the worst people showing up at these things. The sort of people who still think modern comics could be worth a mint some day.