• 70 results
Posted by washablemarkers (93 posts) 3 months, 1 day ago

Poll: Free gas or free Air Jordans? (330 votes)

Free gas for three years 74%
Free Air Jordans for life 26%

I heard this question posed on the radio today:

Would you rather have free gas for three years or every new pair of Air Jordans when they're released for the rest of your life?

Stipulations:

• Only you can use the free gas in your personal vehicle. Offer expires after three years.
  • The Jordans are delivered to you at your residence. They will arrive whenever a new pair is released until you are deceased.

Discuss.

#1 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

Is this supposed to be a difficult question? Free gas. Jordans are garbage shoes for garbage people.

#2 Edited by HatKing (5949 posts) -

Jordan's, because then I could outrun anybody and steal gas if I wanted but I wouldn't even need a car anyway because I'd be so fast.

#3 Posted by Monkeyman04 (1133 posts) -

Could I sell the Jordans? If so I would choose that one. I wouldn't care either way. I don't drive, so free gas means nothing to me.

#4 Posted by RonGalaxy (3168 posts) -

Sell the jordans when they're sold out and profit.

#5 Posted by T_wester (191 posts) -

Air Jordans are shoes right? if so no I'm particular with my footwear, but Free gas and i could go on a three year road trip or start a taxi service.

#6 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (414 posts) -

I don't drive, so give me them Jordans yo.

#7 Posted by ConfusedOwl (941 posts) -

Can those shoes sell for a lot? I don't know anything about shoes, if not then I'd take the gas without a second thought.

#8 Posted by SgtSphynx (1389 posts) -

I'll take the gas since I need to use premium in my car, and that would eliminate about $3k from the cost of a road trip I want to do. Besides, I don't like Jordans

#9 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3386 posts) -

Jordans, cause I can sell them and buy tacos.

#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4636 posts) -

Can you sell the sneakers? Are new Jordans actual worth anything?

#11 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

get the jordan's for life, sell them and buy 20$ shoes to use and use the rest of the money for gas

#12 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -

There is a big collectors' market for Jordans. There are midnight releases and preorders for them just like there are for video games...pretty nuts if you ask me. But a lot of Jordan collectors probably say the same thing about video game collectors.

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Spoonman671 (4636 posts) -

@mb said:

@spoonman671 said:

There is a big collectors' market for Jordans. There are midnight releases and preorders for them just like there are for video games...pretty nuts if you ask me. But a lot of Jordan collectors probably say the same thing about video game collectors.

I'm aware of "sneakerheads", but I'm not sure whether or not new Jordans are rare enough to be worth serious money. I know there are old ones that collectors will shell out big bucks for, but I can't imagine new ones getting beyond the $100-200 range. I, selling them secondhand, would be charging less than that, which hardly seems worth the effort.

The only appealing aspect of the Jordan offer is that it has a life-long duration compared to the paltry 3 years of free gas. Still, it seems to me that the Jordans would become more of an annual chore than a boon. I think I prefer the no-strings-attached option.

#14 Posted by TheRealMoot (380 posts) -

It's real hard to get a size 13 shoes where I live... so... going with the Jordan's.

#15 Posted by Doerr007 (20 posts) -

Well I have difficulty finding size 18 so that would be great lol never have to look again.

#16 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -

I wager I'd probably spend more on gas in 3 years than shoes for the rest of my life considering how I go through one pair in about 3-4 years.

#17 Edited by CorruptedEvil (3305 posts) -

I don't have a car so fuck yeah free $200 shoes all the time.

LOOK AT HOW MANY JORDANS ARE COMING OUT. YOU CAN'T EVEN WEAR THAT MANY SHOES.

Obligatory Space Jam.

#18 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

i don't like basketball sneakers.

#19 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Gas obviously. What a dumb question.

#20 Posted by crimsinf (144 posts) -

This is tough. I drive so rarely that I only have to fill up once every three months or so. But on the other hand, I have no interest in Jordans... I'll take the gas.

#21 Posted by Gruebacca (519 posts) -

Three years?! Puh! Give me a pair of every Air Jordan released! I'll sell the ones I don't want.

#22 Posted by DeadpanCakes (904 posts) -
@hatking said:

Jordan's, because then I could outrun anybody and steal gas if I wanted but I wouldn't even need a car anyway because I'd be so fast.

I voted gas, but then I saw this and felt stupid. You've convinced me.

#23 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11009 posts) -

Free gas, no question. I don't even like Air Jordans, but free gas would be made useful.

#24 Posted by RecSpec (3816 posts) -

I can sell the Jordans right? How is this hard?

#25 Posted by anbilow (93 posts) -

Free Jordans.

Cause I'm white and the fact that said Jordans were free would give me license to wear them.

#26 Posted by dkessler175 (84 posts) -

This poll should be do you drive? Yes or no.

#27 Posted by adoggz (2067 posts) -

i picked gas without thinking about how awesome free Jordans for life is.

#28 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

If I wasn't in college for the next 3 years I probably would've voted Jordans but right now gas is too big of an issue.

#29 Posted by Slag (4376 posts) -

Is this is a joke?

IF you drive at all,with gas prices you'd save so much more money getting the gas.

#30 Edited by Ben_H (3360 posts) -

Gas. If it was lifetime Reebok Pumps my answer might be different.

We know Riff Raff's answer though:

#31 Posted by hustlerlt (330 posts) -

This is such a no-brainer question. Just get the damn Jordan's. You know how many of them come out all the time? And how much they cost? Just sell all of the ones you don't like and you'll have much more money than if you got free gas for three years. A pair of Jordan's are at least $100, if it's a limited edition pair, you can get a whole lot more.

#32 Edited by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

I feel like the only situation a sane adult would choose "Air Jordans" over three years of gas would be they don't drive. Let's do some simple math:

I own two vehicles. One is a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country with a 15gal tank. It gets about 23mpg. The second is a 2015 Toyota Tundra Limited with a 30gal tank. It gets about 13mpg. I fill the van up about once every two weeks, and the truck roughly so as well. Gas around here is $3.77 currently, so I'd pay about $150-$200 every two weeks. That's about $300-$400 a month. That's $10,800 - $14,400 saved.

The latest XX9 Air Jordans (I googled it) are suggested to retail for $225. We all know that these types of shoes rarely come out more than 2-3 times a year, and that would total between $225-$675.

In the end, TWO MONTHS worth of gas would be worth more than waiting an entire year for Nike Jordans. Seems like an easy question to me, but I'm the kind of guy who could care less about some snazzy basketball shoes. Especially since I'm 25, a Dad, and there are plenty of more important things to spend money on these days.

#33 Posted by Zelyre (1198 posts) -

Don't care for the shoes, but I can sell them.

My car only gets 15-18mpg and uses premium. However, I only put about 7k miles a year on it. So, 3 years in gas would quickly get surpassed, dollar wise, by the shoes.

On top of that, $100 or so a month is cool and all. But having that lump of sweet Jordan shoe cash every year would be better.

However, what happens when Jordan dies? True, the man was a legend in his time. But it's not like you're getting new 1995 Air Jordans. If someone got the license to make Michael Jackson gloves, they'd quickly be in the dollar store bin.

#34 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Jordans are fucking tacky. Unless I can sell the shoes, I'll take the gas.

#35 Edited by hustlerlt (330 posts) -

@kindgineer said:

I feel like the only situation a sane adult would choose "Air Jordans" over three years of gas would be they don't drive. Let's do some simple math:

I own two vehicles. One is a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country with a 15gal tank. It gets about 23mpg. The second is a 2015 Toyota Tundra Limited with a 30gal tank. It gets about 13mpg. I fill the van up about once every two weeks, and the truck roughly so as well. Gas around here is $3.77 currently, so I'd pay about $150-$200 every two weeks. That's about $300-$400 a month. That's $10,800 - $14,400 saved.

The latest XX9 Air Jordans (I googled it) are suggested to retail for $225. We all know that these types of shoes rarely come out more than 2-3 times a year, and that would total between $225-$675.

In the end, TWO MONTHS worth of gas would be worth more than waiting an entire year for Nike Jordans. Seems like an easy question to me, but I'm the kind of guy who could care less about some snazzy basketball shoes. Especially since I'm 25, a Dad, and there are plenty of more important things to spend money on these days.

There are 15 new Jordan's coming out this month... Look at here and look at the prices. A pair of sneakers can go for as much as 500 bucks. If you add all the shoes up, you get at least 3000 bucks IN A MONTH. And that's assuming you don't get every color available. You could also save up the limited edition Brazil sneakers and sell them for much more a few years later, if you keep them in package. So yeah, choosing gas over sneakers would be incredibly dumb.

#36 Posted by Random45 (1209 posts) -

I don't give a shit about shoes, free gas would be GOD SENT, especially for THREE years! It's 3.99 per gallon where I am now, so this would free up a huge portion of my budget for a little while.

#37 Edited by Kidavenger (3548 posts) -

3 years of free gas would be roughly $18,000.00 for me, and air jordans are clown shoes, it's an easy choice.

#38 Posted by Jesus_Phish (791 posts) -

The Jordan's which I'll flog on ebay. I cycle everywhere anyway.

#39 Edited by JJOR64 (18992 posts) -

Free gas easily.

#40 Edited by sparks50 (373 posts) -

In Norway we pay $10 USD for a gallon, so that is a easy choice. I do like Air Jordans though.

#41 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

Air Jordans option is more profitable, short and long term. Easily... like... no brainer...

I have a friend who makes a VERY nice profit on buying Nike's at the employee store here in Portland at a discount and then selling them on E-bay. If you did that with EVERY shoe released that you got for free... it's laughable really.

#42 Edited by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

5 months of Air Jordans in 2012 retailed for $21,000.00 (this continues for the rest of your life)

3 years of @Kidavenger's gas was estimated at $18,000.00

Air Jordans have been going strong for decades now and show no slowing; the gas deal ends at 3 years; 5 months of the Air Jordans (even below retail) = @kidavenger's estimated gas budget of 3 years.

75% of poll participants are making the wrong decision if answered economically

#43 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

5 months of Air Jordans in 2012 retailed for $21,000.00 (this continues for the rest of your life)

Air Jordans have been going strong for decades now and show no slowing; the gas deal ends at 3 years; 5 months of the Air Jordans (even below retail) = @kidavenger's estimated gas budget of 3 years.

Yup. I was gonna go with the gas until I googled it and found this: Air Jordan Release Dates

It's pretty much a no-brainer from an economical standpoint.

#44 Posted by Bane (405 posts) -
@hurricaneivan29 said:

Yup. I was gonna go with the gas until I googled it and found this: Air Jordan Release Dates

It's pretty much a no-brainer from an economical standpoint.

Holy shit. I had no idea they're averaging six pairs of Jordans a month. I voted for gas like a chump.

#45 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5007 posts) -

I don't even have a license. Jordies.

#46 Posted by development (2330 posts) -

I don't have a car so fuck yeah free $200 shoes all the time.

LOOK AT HOW MANY JORDANS ARE COMING OUT. YOU CAN'T EVEN WEAR THAT MANY SHOES.

Holy shit. I want to change my answer. If you're willing to put in the minimal effort you can get fucktons of money off those shoes. Definitely enough to pay for your gas and then some. They are expensive-ass shoes. People kill for Jordans. No, like literally.

#47 Edited by erhard (403 posts) -

I wear adult shoes so I'd take the gas.

#48 Posted by Demoskinos (14830 posts) -

Man,I love that this is a thing that is actually being fiercely debated right now.

#49 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

People complaining about paying less than 4 USDs for a gallon of fuel make me sad.

Even with fuel prices here, the ridiculous number of Jordans you'd be recieving makes it more than worth to take the shoes.

#50 Edited by Karmum (11519 posts) -

The Jordans. Why? Barely drive my car in the summer, and in the other seasons I'm off at college, and my driving is also very limited there. Get the Jordans and sell them each time. I go to the gas station like once a month.

Also, aren't there a lot of Air Jordans released yearly? Wait no, you can't change the rules now! No limits!