#1 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

Now that Giant Bomb is owned by a much larger, wealthier company. Do you think the Mobile site should be free?

I'm not trying to come across as a tightarse, but most sites give you a Mobile site without having to pony up any extra cash.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Wait for the redesign, it will be.

#3 Posted by Heylook (235 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Wait for the redesign, it will be.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyup

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Yeah it should be.

#5 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I think it should. Most websites have mobile versions without paying for some sort of membership.

#6 Posted by BlackLagoon (1383 posts) -

I think the issue is that the current mobile site is ad free, and letting non-premium members at it would eat into the site's income.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I don't mind it, but the fact that subscribers are down HD video, the multiple whiskey sites, and soon the mobile site, asking for 60 a year is becoming a little ridiculous. No ads and some exclusive videos is like at most a 30 dollar a year value, if you ask me.

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@MikkaQ: You can also download the videos, in 4 different formats. which is worth $5 a month for me.

#9 Posted by RazielCuts (2937 posts) -

@Dagbiker: I never got why people downloaded the videos, always seemed weird to me. Surely all the vids are watch them once and you throw them away? Unless you want to watch them on the move I guess when you have no internet access? (that's what podcasts are for me though) Or you're in the habit of making those 'Best of QL's' or whatevs..

#10 Edited by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

A free mobile site would make too much sense. Next you are going to say they should hire Matt Rorie or bring back TANG.

#11 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@Dagbiker: I never got why people downloaded the videos, always seemed weird to me. Surely all the vids are watch them once and you throw them away? Unless you want to watch them on the move I guess when you have no internet access? (that's what podcasts are for me though) Or you're in the habit of making those 'Best of QL's' or whatevs..

How is it weird? Yeah a lot of people download videos in order to watch them on the go, it is the very reason people like bringing their laptops and tablets on flights.

I don't like just staring forward at the back of a plane seat listening to a podcast for too long.

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@RazielCuts: I add them all to my Ipod, but I also watch them pretty much whenever Im on the computer.

#13 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@RazielCuts

I don't watch any GB content on my PC, it's all downloaded to a tablet and watched when travelling, working out, or when I'm lying in bed
#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@MikkaQ: You can also download the videos, in 4 different formats. which is worth $5 a month for me.

That's true, but I never saw the point in downloading something you can just stream.

#15 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

The thing that always pissed me off was when the live steams were not free to watch the archives of unless you went to their JTV page. It felt like they were trying to trick people who didn't know into having one more reason to buy a sub.

#16 Posted by jakob187 (21644 posts) -

Personally, I just want a better version of the site for mobile so I can actually visit it on my phone. If you aren't a member, it's literally a pain in the ass to deal with it on mobile, and that's just kind of crappy overall...especially if you had a membership at one point and know what the mobile site has to offer in terms of simplicity and ease of access.

My amount of time going to Giant Bomb decreased significantly whenever I ended up not having that mobile site anymore.

It seems silly to think that the redesign wouldn't involve a full-on mobile site with ads for non-members and an ad-free simpler-to-use site for members.

#17 Posted by EXTomar (4505 posts) -

Just to be clear, the giantbomb.com mobile site was never being a pay wall correct? And I agree with others that giantbomb.com really does need a mobile style sheet design where looking at the MoH4 review shows the problem.

#18 Posted by Dalai (6998 posts) -

Since this is my first forum post ever from the mobile site, I can now say it needs a little work. That said, freeloaders should get the same access they get on regular-ass Giant Bomb.

#19 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Alot of the stuff GB is keeping behind pay walls is very anti visitors. I understand the premium videos, but having to pay to be able to use HTML5 and Youtube is just a joke and not having a free mobile site is just unprofessional in this competitive market.

#20 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

@jakob187: I was a paid member for a while, on the impression that they'd come to Australia and I'd get to see/meet the guys. When that fell through, I didn't resubscribe (and felt a little used :( )

The Mobile site was great, and pretty easy to use overall.