#51 Posted by Xymox (2088 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

@me3639 said:

Just to be clear this is the same community that frowns on PC pirates, correct?

Origin has made the code readily available by completing a survey. Please tell me how this is akin to pirating.

I don't think they intended people (including people who did not complete the survey) grabbing multiple games under $20.

I'm interested in how they'll handle this. Not so much about the free games.

#52 Posted by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -

@Xymox: Ya their response to this will be most interesting.

#53 Edited by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -

@QuantumPilot said:

@Xymox: Ya their response to this will be most interesting.

I wonder if they will make people pay for the games they downloaded?

(If that is even possible)

#54 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Xymox said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@me3639 said:

Origin has made the code readily available by completing a survey. Please tell me how this is akin to pirating.

I don't think they intended people (including people who did not complete the survey) grabbing multiple games under $20.

I'm interested in how they'll handle this. Not so much about the free games.

Ah well yeah in that case there is certainly some questions raised. Of course I don't know the terms of service associated with the code.

My understanding however is that the system is simply allowing people to apply the deal to multiple games. Is that the consumers fault? I don't know. I only got one game so it doesn't effect me one way or the other.

#55 Posted by catoasapun (20 posts) -

Just got Bulletstorm for free. Staying up until 4am paid off.

#56 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

Not working for me? EU store here.

#57 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

@dcgc said:

Not working for me? EU store here.

Only North America.

#58 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

Ah well yeah in that case there is certainly some questions raised. Of course I don't know the terms of service associated with the code.

My understanding however is that the system is simply allowing people to apply the deal to multiple games. Is that the consumers fault? I don't know. I only got one game so it doesn't effect me one way or the other.

Questions indeed.

Associated terms of service from EA:

THIS OFFER IS BEING ISSUED TO YOU FOR PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CREDIT, CHARGE, DEBIT OR GIFT CARD. OFFER EXPIRES OCTOBER 21, 2012. DISCOUNT CODE EXPIRES OCTOBER 21, 2012. GOOD ONLY FOR NEW PURCHASES OF $19.99 OR MORE FROM THE ORIGIN STORE AT WWW.ORIGIN.COM AND THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT). EXCLUDES STAR WARS® THE OLD REPUBLIC™, PRE-ORDERS, GAMES RELEASED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE, VALVE GAMES, SELECT PARTNER TITLES DISTRIBUTED BY ORIGIN, VIRTUAL CURRENCY AND GAME TIME CODES. VALID IN U.S. AND CANADA. OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCTS SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. RETAILERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND EMPLOYEES OF ELECTRONIC ARTS INC. AND THEIR AGENCIES/AFFILIATES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.

I'm not sure how much the "LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON" part applies to what people are doing here, but I'm still pretty sure that EA can fuck your account up some good if they want to go to the hassle.

#59 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

Whatever happens, it'll be pretty awesome. If people get to keep their games or if chaos reigns as a bunch of accounts are burned to the ground, I'll enjoy what comes next. I feel a bit bad about getting eight free games, but that slight feeling of guilt won't persevere.

#60 Edited by KrypticKiller (191 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I'm going to bet most are creating a account just for this code, so should they burn all accounts downloading more then one game, no one will care :P

Edit: Now if only steam would do something this stupid. THAT would be something special to watch.

#61 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Whatever happens, it'll be pretty awesome. If people get to keep their games or if chaos reigns as a bunch of accounts are burned to the ground, I'll enjoy what comes next. I feel a bit bad about getting eight free games, but that slight feeling of guilt won't persevere.

Since I skipped out on Battlefield 3 last year and I still haven't bought it, if EA decides to ban my account I guess that really does kill my origin experience.

If they want, they could let me have the 4 games I stole from them and maybe I'll buy Battlefield 3 and I'm probably going to buy Need for Speed Most Wanted. I kinda want them to just ban everyone though, that would be funny.

#62 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I'm kinda surprised that they still haven't done anything about it. Surely they notice the massive fucking everyone's been giving their servers in the past few hours.

Maybe it's some grand plan to get a tonne of good will without letting anyone feel entitled to more, although I hardly see them gaining from this. Still, I'd say that banning the accounts would be worse for them.

#63 Edited by themangalist (1737 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

@me3639 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

It can only go so many ways though:

1. Cancel the code to cut losses and pretend nothing happened

2. Ban the accounts that used the same code.

3. Ban the accounts that "bought" more than one game with said code.

4. Ban the accounts that "bought" games at all with that code.

5. Randomly banning accounts from tonight due to traffic overload.

1 is a high possibility IF they could shut this down in the next hour max. It's simply too much a hassle to deal with. It totally exploded.

2-5 all risk losing what little faith people have in EA. Well, it's technically the fault of the "customers", but considering how crazy this got, how bad the Origin service is conceived, and how this accidentally became an act of goodwill from EA, I kinda think EA will just shrug it off. That is, unless they don't stop this madness in the next hour.

It's kinda back to the piracy argument again, those are probably games people would never have played if they weren't for free. Probably this would urge EA to invest in Mirror's Edge again, seeing how many people actually got it from this mess.

@mandude said:

Maybe it's some grand plan to get a tonne of good will without letting anyone feel entitled to more, although I hardly see them gaining from this. Still, I'd say that banning the accounts would be worse for them.

Or they could come out in the end and say, "Hey guys, we know you stole our games, but consider it a gift this time *wink wink* Please use Origin again!"

#64 Posted by Lothars (42 posts) -

got myself Sim City Societies and it came with the expansion free as well.

#65 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

Cool. Thanks for this, always kept my eye on da2 for a sale and now I don't have too

#66 Posted by ShockD (2403 posts) -

Didn't work for me.

#67 Posted by mlarrabee (2967 posts) -

Larceny, as defined by law, is the taking of property without the permission or consent of the owner. It doesn't matter how easy it was, nor in this case how easy the owner unintentionally made it. It is situations like these that delineate between the children and the adults. I'm sure I'll get responses telling me to "get off my high horse." To you I say: keep digging yourself in, pal. Just keep digging yourself in.

@mandude: I doubt EA will take action, but legally speaking, "purchasing" multiple titles with a one-use-limited coupon code is perfectly actionable.

#68 Posted by MisterSamMan (364 posts) -

I now feel the Need for Speed. Thanks!

#69 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Not working in the UK :(

#70 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (623 posts) -

Having a single non-randomly generated code is stupid on their part or the survey company's part. don't know why their system allowed for people to use the code on multiple games, but it's their fault. that being said, taking advantage of it may not be the best course of action as they terms of the code did say one per customer. getting one game wouldn't be horrible under that pretense, but still leaves you up to whatever action they take. i doubt they'll do much or anything to the people that just got one game, but to those that got multiple games that could be another story.

#71 Posted by cutyoface (545 posts) -

Damn I wish it worked in the european store

#72 Posted by LimpBishop (220 posts) -

@cutyoface said:

Damn I wish it worked in the european store

Aye, as with just about anything else relating to games (especially pricing) - us Europeans get screwed over :D

#73 Edited by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

I'm sad. I could not find a single thing in the Origin store that I actually want. Even if it was going to be free. EA needs to get off their ass and start getting a lot more third party games on there and make browsing the games a little bit more enjoyable (show more than 10 items a page).

#74 Posted by Fattony12000 (7453 posts) -

@LimpBishop: http://www.tunnelbear.com/

You need to make an account from the US to start with though, just logging into the US store with a UK account set as payment won't work.

#75 Posted by xseedx (57 posts) -

Too bad everything worked fine until the very last step, where Origin told me "Payment Authorization Failed".

Oh well I had a bad feeling about this anyway :)

#76 Edited by altairre (1196 posts) -

To everyone in the EU: Just use clearlydrunk and you`ll be fine. I'm no going to use this more than once though.

#77 Posted by Revolver (84 posts) -

Wow it worked got two games for free

#78 Posted by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

I would not risk my account. Actions by EA may be done in the upcoming days, and I wouldn't have to deal with a mail telling me I did something wrong through exploits for my own greed. And even if nothing happens, I couldn't let myself go through this. I will gladly purchase my games to support the men & women working on them.

#79 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if they overturned subsequent purchases, but I dunno. At a certain point it's more difficult and expensive to try and 'fix' this as it is to just live with it. Plus, by living with it, they might get people used to playing games through Origin, maybe get some additional purchases down the line.

I guarantee you someone is having a really bad day because of this. And that's sad.

#80 Posted by Kidavenger (3568 posts) -
@FritzDude

I would not risk my account. Actions by EA may be done in the upcoming days, and I wouldn't have to deal with a mail telling me I did something wrong through exploits for my own greed. And even if nothing happens, I couldn't let myself go through this. I will gladly purchase my games to support the men & women working on them.

Origin would still have to pay their suppliers for the game keys, the only one getting screwed here is Origin itself. It's shitty that people are taking advantage of multiple games, but Origin is a shitty service. Look on the bright side, next earnings call they will be able to report a huge growth in their userbase.
#81 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they overturned subsequent purchases, but I dunno. At a certain point it's more difficult and expensive to try and 'fix' this as it is to just live with it. Plus, by living with it, they might get people used to playing games through Origin, maybe get some additional purchases down the line. I guarantee you someone is having a really bad day because of this. And that's sad.

I'm not sure if anyone is having a bad day yet. EA still seem to be entirely unaware of the problem. I can't imagine that it's too difficult to invalidate the code while they get on it, but they haven't done that yet.

#82 Edited by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

You know, Dragon Age 2 may not be a great game (or even a good game) but it is free. Isn't that what counts?

Edit: I really wish I had gotten something along with DA2 though. I still haven't played Dead Space or Burnout: Paradise. :/

#83 Posted by Kidavenger (3568 posts) -

Does anyone know if War in the North qualifies?

#84 Posted by Sin4profit (2937 posts) -

went to "redeem product code" and it said the code was invalid for me.

#85 Posted by tyxja (280 posts) -

Just got DA: Origins. Sweet.

#86 Edited by Killercombo (225 posts) -

Payment Authorization Failed :(

Tried everything but no luck, just going to give up.

#87 Edited by Joker369 (879 posts) -

Not sure if I should get more than one. EA will probably not take action but it just doesn't feel right.

#88 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip.

#89 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

Awesome. Just got Sim City 4.

#90 Posted by 49th (2763 posts) -

GRauauuruaur, I can't get the things I'm not in America. :(

#91 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@Zekhariah said:

@Ben_H said:

@FluxWaveZ: The best part of that thread so far is people congratulating each other when DA2 transactions weren't working and the people who came to the sad realization that they now own Dragon Age II. Edit: The code in the OP is dead now.

I kind of thought DA2 was a good game actually. The combat was a bit trivial, but that made the story feel relatively uninterrupted. And concentrating on a single city was a nice change from the bigger world = better thing that has been going on.

Although I bought most of the stuff that is $20 now for $1-$2 from amazon last January. Wouldn't EA be fairly well justified in banning people for using this code multiple times anyway?

DA 2 hate is totally bonkers. They had some fantastic ideas and some not so fantastic ones. It's nowhere near the disaster it's made out to be.

#92 Posted by Ben_H (3366 posts) -
@DeF said:

@Zekhariah said:

@Ben_H said:

@FluxWaveZ: The best part of that thread so far is people congratulating each other when DA2 transactions weren't working and the people who came to the sad realization that they now own Dragon Age II. Edit: The code in the OP is dead now.

I kind of thought DA2 was a good game actually. The combat was a bit trivial, but that made the story feel relatively uninterrupted. And concentrating on a single city was a nice change from the bigger world = better thing that has been going on.

Although I bought most of the stuff that is $20 now for $1-$2 from amazon last January. Wouldn't EA be fairly well justified in banning people for using this code multiple times anyway?

DA 2 hate is totally bonkers. They had some fantastic ideas and some not so fantastic ones. It's nowhere near the disaster it's made out to be.

Oh I wasn't actually commenting on the quality of the game, I just found that thread hilarious. I don't knock games before I try them typically.
#93 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

This is still going on?

#94 Posted by Evilsbane (4621 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

This is still going on?

Yep grabbed DA2 this morning just to see if it was working

#95 Posted by Joker369 (879 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ Yeah, I just got Dead Space 2 with that code few minutes ago. Even though I only got one game I'm still slightly worried that EA might ban all accounts that used the code at all (not just the ones that redeemed it multiple times). I sunk too much time in BF3 just to have it banned.
#96 Edited by believer258 (11948 posts) -

@Joker369 said:

@FluxWaveZ Yeah, I just got Dead Space 2 with that code few minutes ago. Even though I only got one game I'm still slightly worried that EA might ban all accounts that used the code at all (not just the ones that redeemed it multiple times). I sunk too much time in BF3 just to have it banned.

Where did you put the code in?

EDIT: NEVERMIND! Figured it out.

EDIT 2: But only got one game. Sigh...

#97 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Having this restricted to North America is exactly why I won't be using Origin over Steam or GoG.

#98 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

My mate just downloaded every NFS game...fuck sake EA lol

#99 Posted by IceColdGamer (605 posts) -

I only got one game, hope no one gets the swift banhammer from EA for this, I did the survey and the code is the exact same as the one I posted. So if you feel guilty, go do the survey.

#100 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

@IceColdGamer: Where's the survey?