#201 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

Battlefield 2142 get!

You know what? Origin has way better sales than Steam does.

#202 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3002 posts) -

Poor Jeff Green, unless he as well is taking advantage of this exploit.

#203 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -
@believer258 said:

@Leptok said:

@Ezakael

@Leptok said:

@Ezakael

For some reason the only game that the promo works for is Mass Effect 2. How is everyone able to get other games in the promo but I'm stuck with only one choice?

Delete your cookies. It worked for me, just grabbed Karkand DLC after getting SimCity 4. Delete cookies Go to store logged out Add to cart Checkout w code Login

Didn't work. The code won't work anymore. Shitty luck I guess. Thanks for trying to help though.

So I just got it to work for Spore, but not ME2 and DA2. Im wondering if it has something to do with the online pass. Did you try it on something with a pass?

I got DA2 and it has an online pass.

Anyway, it doesn't appear to be working at all now; I just tried it on the Karkand DLC and no dice. As in, it wouldn't even show the discount before I logged in.

I wasn't able to get the discount to work on any of the BF3 DLC for some reason, so I just put The Saboteur in my cart instead and that got discounted properly.  Not sure why it worked on the DLC for Leptok.
#204 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

@QuantumPilot said:

The saboteur.

Yup yup. :D

#205 Posted by PaneraBread (12 posts) -

Reading the GAF thread about this. Funny how it's still going on.

#206 Posted by Mcfart (1548 posts) -

IT STILL WORKS O_O'?

#207 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

@Mcfart: Yep. just bought DAII two minutes ago.

#208 Edited by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

Oh shit, I just got kicked off of my brand new game in multiplayer. I wonder if EA is responding yet and taking away everybody's purchases. I didnt use the exploit though. So I'm happy.

edit: Nevermind, I'm back online and my games are still there.

Seriously though dudes, I find it funny how some people bitch about piracy, yet commit straight up theft on a digital storefront. If you have to logout, delete cookies, and do strange shit to make a discount work, you're exploiting the site. I wouldn't be surprised if EA responds by banning or not honoring people who used the exploit.

#209 Posted by MAGZine (435 posts) -

Still works because EA is a company and employees generally don't work weekends.

(and EA has no idea what they're doing, but that's a given)

#210 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3002 posts) -

Wonder if this is the straw that breaks Origins back and forces them to follow the same route as Games For WIndows Live.

#211 Posted by MAGZine (435 posts) -

This is now dead, btw.

#212 Posted by Rek503 (124 posts) -

Invalid promo code. Looks like it's indeed dead.

#213 Posted by Doctorchimp (4069 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Battlefield 2142 get!

You know what? Origin has way better sales than Steam does.

we need to get a Battlefield 2142 giantbomb night going with a lot of people having a copy now.

#214 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

I missed this by 2 hours?! FUCK this is what I get for having a social life.

#215 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@matti00

I missed this by 2 hours?! FUCK this is what I get for having a social life.

Well that makes you a god amongst peasants here doesn't it
#216 Posted by 1nfinitum (200 posts) -

My haul.

#217 Posted by KrypticKiller (190 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

@matti00

I missed this by 2 hours?! FUCK this is what I get for having a social life.

Well that makes you a god amongst peasants here doesn't it

Social life is code for World Of Warcraft marathon.

#218 Posted by mmzOne (276 posts) -

I think that the only proper response from EA is to give rest of the world a code that allows us to get lots of free games.

#219 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

@mmzOne said:

I think that the only proper response from EA is to give rest of the world a code that allows us to get lots of free games.

Nooooooo, the proper response would be to ban everyone who used the exploit. Don't think a lot of people realized they left an entire trail of receipts and server logs that can be traced back to their accounts. People claiming it's too difficult don't know too much about computers I think. Either way, in reality it's called theft and has jail time behind it. Nothing says they have to honor an exploit because it's not their mistake if they put security checks in place and people broke them anyways.

Piracy isn't theft, but this is.

#220 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@pw2566ch: sooo its still working for you?

So far, just those 3 times. And you have to use those 3 systems. I'm sure it's still working right now. I just suggest you do it before they catch on and fix the loophole.

#221 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -
@1nfinitum said:

My haul.

Geez, they give a chunk of food and you bite off their whole arm.
 
I wonder how many employes will they fire after this sale event.
#222 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Or just write off these old games that probably move very slowly on their also ran service and hope more people use origin.

#223 Posted by j0lter (225 posts) -

@BillyMethers: There are wayyyyyyy too many people out there taking advantage of this for them to single out every single person. They'll probably do a mass banning of any account with a record of using the code more than once and leave it at that.

#224 Posted by Kidavenger (3507 posts) -

Anyone have a link to the actual survey?

#225 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

I just got bulletstorm, don't want to be too greedy.

#226 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

@j0lter said:

@BillyMethers: There are wayyyyyyy too many people out there taking advantage of this for them to single out every single person. They'll probably do a mass banning of any account with a record of using the code more than once and leave it at that.

How is that different from anything I just said? The "way too many" part is a bit silly because computers track everything... or is everybody stupid enough to forget the long ass paper trail they left. The products can be revoked regardless of the quantity of people so "way too many" is irrelevant. Do people really think they can walk away with 100s of dollars in merchandise and not expect any action? That's just naive.

#227 Posted by tyxja (276 posts) -

It would be unethical for EA to persecute someone for using a coupon code.

It isn't as if they duped the system. You can get coupon codes everywhere.

Besides, what if someone had actually purchased a game and used this code to get a discount? Would they revoke something someone actually spent money on?

EA is going to have to be cool about this or the backlash will pretty pretty harsh.

For all anyone knows this could be some kind of employee discount code that got leaked.

#228 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -
@BillyMethers

@j0lter said:

@BillyMethers: There are wayyyyyyy too many people out there taking advantage of this for them to single out every single person. They'll probably do a mass banning of any account with a record of using the code more than once and leave it at that.

How is that different from anything I just said? The "way too many" part is a bit silly because computers track everything... or is everybody stupid enough to forget the long ass paper trail they left. The products can be revoked regardless of the quantity of people so "way too many" is irrelevant. Do people really think they can walk away with 100s of dollars in merchandise and not expect any action? That's just naive.

Because if the percentage of people who used it is too high, they might not want to ban that many people from using Origin. Now that I have more than BF3 on there, I might actually use Origin at some point in the future.
#229 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Honestly, this is the best thing that they could've had happen for Origin. Their numbers are going up, people are using the service, and they are playing games they WANT! If anything, they should take the data that they got from all this, look at the games people wanted, and start making some decisions about their future catalog. At the same time, they should look at the stress that was put on the service over the course of time and start planning accordingly.

When it comes down to it, is right. The amount of people that actually downloaded the service and got games are going to increase their time played with the service overall. This is GOOD for Origin. Is it through a means they probably didn't want? Maybe, but they went two damn days without messing with that code. Any company that is afraid of leaking money through a glitch like this is going to patch it up pretty quick. They took their time, so they knew what the endgame could be.

It's a smart move overall for EA to get people on their service. Between Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins, Battlefield 2142, and Dead Space 2, they are about to get a lot of playtime from me on their service, so they accomplished part of their mission. If they can prove to me that they have things I can't get at Steam (which I doubt), then I can see myself dropping some money in their store. If not, there's always the free stuff.

#230 Posted by bvilleneuve (265 posts) -

At first I was sort of bummed that the code didn't work. Then I tried to find a single thing on Origin that I wanted but didn't already have on Steam, and I couldn't.

Your move, EA.

#231 Posted by FoolishChaos (431 posts) -

I don't know how valuable it is to have loads of freeloaders using your bandwidth to download games they didn't pay for. EA doesn't need origin data to tell what games people want.

I figured this was just a promotion code to use for a single game, and that's what I used it for. After seeing people get like 5+ games from this, I feel like scum.

Just because this is a company fuck up and not a malicious user putting the game up on ThePirateBay, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Its probably worse, actually

#232 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@FoolishChaos said:

I don't know how valuable it is to have loads of freeloaders using your bandwidth to download games they didn't pay for. EA doesn't need origin data to tell what games people want.

I figured this was just a promotion code to use for a single game, and that's what I used it for. After seeing people get like 5+ games from this, I feel like scum.

Just because this is a company fuck up and not a malicious user putting the game up on ThePirateBay, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Its probably worse, actually

I don't think anyone is saying that it ISN'T wrong. However, in this wrong, there is a lot that can be right for EA and their service overall.

#233 Posted by MOAB (374 posts) -

@bvilleneuve said:

At first I was sort of bummed that the code didn't work. Then I tried to find a single thing on Origin that I wanted but didn't already have on Steam, and I couldn't.

Your move, EA.

the saboteur?

that's the only one i wanted

#234 Posted by BisonHero (6154 posts) -

@bvilleneuve said:

At first I was sort of bummed that the code didn't work. Then I tried to find a single thing on Origin that I wanted but didn't already have on Steam, and I couldn't.

Your move, EA.

Yeah, I had the same issue. I got Mirror's Edge, but I honestly would've felt a little better just buying it on sale from Steam for $5 at some point.

This has made me realize that I actually don't care about most of what EA has been doing for the past 5+ years, aside from Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space, and the new Sim City, all of which I either already own or haven't come out yet.

#235 Posted by BillyMethers (149 posts) -

@Leptok said:

@BillyMethers Because if the percentage of people who used it is too high, they might not want to ban that many people from using Origin. Now that I have more than BF3 on there, I might actually use Origin at some point in the future.

That is completely illogical and doesn't make any sense. That's just wishful thinking. Plus my comments weren't directed at you. It was directed at the person I was replying to.

@FoolishChaos said:

I don't know how valuable it is to have loads of freeloaders using your bandwidth to download games they didn't pay for. EA doesn't need origin data to tell what games people want.

I figured this was just a promotion code to use for a single game, and that's what I used it for. After seeing people get like 5+ games from this, I feel like scum.

Just because this is a company fuck up and not a malicious user putting the game up on ThePirateBay, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Its probably worse, actually

You bring up a great point about the bandwidth. I agree. As far as being worse than piracy, it is. It's actual theft because they are removing physical product stock from a storefront, although it's digital.

There's so much bullshit flying in this thread from idiots saying it's the company's fault.. it isn't. They put security in place after they found their mistake. After the security was in place, it was no longer their fault, people started actively circumventing security and using exploits to get products for free. That is stealing. Piracy isnt stealing as it's duplicating, this is circumventing site security and stealing actual product from a retailer. It's an actual crime that has jail time behind it if this was pulled at a physical location.

#236 Posted by KrypticKiller (190 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

@Leptok said:

@BillyMethers Because if the percentage of people who used it is too high, they might not want to ban that many people from using Origin. Now that I have more than BF3 on there, I might actually use Origin at some point in the future.

That is completely illogical and doesn't make any sense. That's just wishful thinking. Plus my comments weren't directed at you. It was directed at the person I was replying to.

@FoolishChaos said:

I don't know how valuable it is to have loads of freeloaders using your bandwidth to download games they didn't pay for. EA doesn't need origin data to tell what games people want.

I figured this was just a promotion code to use for a single game, and that's what I used it for. After seeing people get like 5+ games from this, I feel like scum.

Just because this is a company fuck up and not a malicious user putting the game up on ThePirateBay, doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Its probably worse, actually

You bring up a great point about the bandwidth. I agree. As far as being worse than piracy, it is. It's actual theft because they are removing physical product stock from a storefront, although it's digital.

There's so much bullshit flying in this thread from idiots saying it's the company's fault.. it isn't. They put security in place after they found their mistake. After the security was in place, it was no longer their fault, people started actively circumventing security and using exploits to get products for free. That is stealing. Piracy isnt stealing as it's duplicating, this is circumventing site security and stealing actual product from a retailer. It's an actual crime that has jail time behind it if this was pulled at a physical location.

There would be no jail time. The terms of "one time use" is a company policy, not law. If you walked into your local game store and showed them a coupon similar to this one and they did not take it from you after your transaction, you would use it again and there is no law to prevent you from doing so.

#238 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

I am curious what EAs move is toward this. Wouldn't put it past them if they either A) Banned the accounts that abused the system; or B) Disabled the games that were acquired after the code's first use. Of course, option C) is just do nothing about it and let be a loss for them but gain some customer traction for Origin in the long run.

#239 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

@Leptok said:

@BillyMethers Because if the percentage of people who used it is too high, they might not want to ban that many people from using Origin. Now that I have more than BF3 on there, I might actually use Origin at some point in the future.

That is completely illogical and doesn't make any sense. That's just wishful thinking. Plus my comments weren't directed at you. It was directed at the person I was replying to.

If 50% of the people on their already struggling service are banned, how does that help them? Turning away that many people would probably cost them more than letting go of old games that probably don't sell much.

#240 Posted by Vampir (129 posts) -

@BillyMethers said:

You bring up a great point about the bandwidth. I agree. You bring up a great point about the bandwidth. It's actual theft because they are removing physical product stock from a storefront, although it's digital.

I would add to the bandwidth the fact you would also be continuing to use Origin to play those games and potentially benefiting from whatever it provides. But at the same time, digital copies are pretty specifically not physical, and it's not like they're going to run out of digital copies of their own games. I'm saying that makes it any better, I just don't think that particular point makes it any more or less stealing than piracy. I think it's really the willful exploitation and use of their resources that makes it feel scummy.

@Butano said:

I am curious what EAs move is toward this. Wouldn't put it past them if they either A) Banned the accounts that abused the system; or B) Disabled the games that were acquired after the code's first use. Of course, option C) is just do nothing about it and let be a loss for them but gain some customer traction for Origin in the long run.

I think C might be their best option. Giving Portal away for free (albeit, on purpose) got a lot of people onto steam, myself included. They may have sound grounds for B, though. The code came along with some legal copy that the codes were for promotional use only, and did not constitute credit, i.e., they were giving people money and therefore wouldn't be taking anyway.

#241 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

@Leptok said:

@BillyMethers said:

@Leptok said:

@BillyMethers Because if the percentage of people who used it is too high, they might not want to ban that many people from using Origin. Now that I have more than BF3 on there, I might actually use Origin at some point in the future.

That is completely illogical and doesn't make any sense. That's just wishful thinking. Plus my comments weren't directed at you. It was directed at the person I was replying to.

If 50% of the people on their already struggling service are banned, how does that help them? Turning away that many people would probably cost them more than letting go of old games that probably don't sell much.

This.

Look, I can see the double-sided blade that EA is balancing on with this. On one hand, it's an exploit that is clearly a violation of their Terms of Use. This means that if they decide to not punish those who exploited their system, it would set an example for potential future exploits. On the other hand, they gained HOW MANY new people on Origin that weren't using their service before? I know that I wasn't a previous adopter, but now I have the service on my new gaming computer. Therefore, an influx in people using their service gives them a chance to actually throw up some sales and possibly get people into Origin rather than knocking it all the time. Hell, it's basically the same look as Steam now. There are features missing, but it's honestly a HELL of a lot smoother than it was when it first launched.

Personally, I bought a few games after I used the promo code for four games. Picked up Crysis and Crysis 2, namely because I never played the first and never finished the second. It doesn't make up for getting four games for free, but if we want to talk about the legality of it all, it was a coupon code that was legally worth $20 and legally allowed people to obtain games. Hell, I could've made seventeen different Origin accounts and used the coupon code on each one of those accounts rather than loading it all onto one account. Therefore, where's the difference? All in all, this was GOING to be exploited, and again, they did not fix this until TWO DAYS LATER. They knew what was happening, and I'll bet they were also watching their numbers rise. Moreover, the majority of the games that were $20 and under are old at this point, meaning that they are either coming close to the typical EA countdown for taking down online servers for the game's multiplayer or they are barely drawing any money for them as is. Dead Space 2? Mass Effect 2? Darksiders? These aren't exactly games that people are rushing to buy on PC, let alone Origin.

In the end, this whole ordeal gives EA a good look at how to run promo codes in the future so they can prevent this from happening again as well as giving consumers a chance to test their service. Who knows? They may have just gained a lot of customers in the long run, and that will outweigh this hiccup significantly if that's the case.

#242 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

I wonder if this topic is going to come up on the podcast?

#243 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I wonder if this topic is going to come up on the podcast?

Mind giving me the short version? Too tired to read through 240+ posts. Something about a faulty $20-coupon on Origin, or...?

#244 Edited by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

@believer258 said:

I wonder if this topic is going to come up on the podcast?

Mind giving me the short version? Too tired to read through 240+ posts. Something about a faulty $20-coupon on Origin, or...?

It actually took a while for someone to go "Hey, guys, maybe this easily-exploitable $20 discount code is not such a great idea"? and now some people are arguing over whether it was a moral thing to do and/or whether it was good for EA or not.

At this point, though, EA seems to have fixed their error and the coupon doesn't seem to be exploitable any longer.

#245 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@believer258: Alright, cheers! Will be interesting to see how (if) EA will handle this blunder.

#246 Posted by ripelivejam (3525 posts) -

@1nfinitum said:

My haul.

this is kinda sickening

#247 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -

Someone queried EA live support regarding using the code for multiple purchases and got the following reply:

Yes this is offence when we will audit they will get punish for that.

#248 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@CommanderZx2 said:

Someone queried EA live support regarding using the code for multiple purchases and got the following reply:

Yes this is offence when we will audit they will get punish for that.

EA Live Support has surprisingly fantastic English skills. Just an observation.

#249 Posted by CommanderZx2 (134 posts) -
#250 Posted by mrcraggle (1819 posts) -

US Origin gets deals all the time. They had one about a week or so ago for Battlefield but anywhere else gets a raw deal. I'm in the UK and I've never seen them lower the price of anything. They're already cutting stuff out and selling it for more in the new Sim City game where for £64.99 you can get additional city pieces. Heck, the standard edtion sale price is above the norm.