#1 Posted by Protoroll (344 posts) -

My cat got fleas about two weeks ago and I am now ready to kill all of those fuckers once and for all. The baths I give him keep the numbers down but don't get rid of all of them. My cat is about a year and seven old and I was wondering what product you guys recommend to get rid of them. Advantage has been rated pretty well based on some research I've done and seems Frontline has gone down in quality. Just wanted some advice before I plop down a sizable amount of change on this stuff.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

My cat got fleas about two weeks ago and I am now ready to kill all of those fuckers once and for all. The baths I give him keep the numbers down but don't get rid of all of them. My cat is about a year and seven old and I was wondering what product you guys recommend to get rid of them. Advantage has been rated pretty well based on some research I've done and seems Frontline has gone down in quality. Just wanted some advice before I plop down a sizable amount of change on this stuff.

Frontline prevents them. You need to take your cat to the vet and get a flea bath then flea bomb your house. Both of the products take time to kill the fleas. They still will be in the rugs and what not and will still bite before they die.

#3 Posted by schreiberty (189 posts) -

I just use a generic store brand flea medicine that kills them, and it works fine. Cat fuckin hates it though. Also you have to big bomb your house after or they just get back on.

#4 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1595 posts) -

@protoroll said:

Frontline prevents them. You need to take your cat to the vet and get a flea bath then flea bomb your house. Both of the products take time to kill the fleas. They still will be in the rugs and what not and will still bite before they die.

I recently got them too, first time in my life. I was fucking pissed. It takes about two weeks for them to completely go away. Bomb the house once with a fogger (biospot makes a good one), and vacuum EVERY DAY. Vacuuming is probably the best thing to do.

#5 Posted by tread311 (352 posts) -

We had a flea problem last year. To get them off of the dog we used Capstar, kills them in just a couple of hours. After that you have to keep them out of the house. We spread diatomaceous earth around the spots where he lays most often, it kills the fleas by essentially drying them out and isn't poisonous. We didn't resort to bombing.

#6 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2152 posts) -

Fleas are really bad here too, duder.

Frontline and Advantix are great but I've also heard the quality has gone done after some ingredient changes. Still the best you can get though, stay the hell away from brands like Hartz (the cheap shit) because that stuff doesn't do shit for fleas and can kill your cat. (There's a whole website dedicated to sharing stories of pets killed by Hartz flea stuff. Yes I'm serious)

You could also pick up some of these. If you've ever heard of Capstar, this is basically that but much cheaper. It's a capsule you can administer as a pill or you could pop it open and sprinkle it on your cat's food. Fair warning though, if you cat is a picky eater he might be hesitant to eat it. But the product works really well, pretty much kills all the fleas currently on your cat.

Of course killing the fleas on your cat won't fix the problem. Wash anything that can be washed, the stuff that can't can be sprayed with an appropriate flea spray. (Be careful with that stuff) You can also take the more natural approach and use some diatomaceous earth on any of the cat's bedding.

Edit: I guess Amazon doesn't sell those things anymore, but you can still order them through the seller's website.

#7 Posted by Marcsman (2904 posts) -

Use Advantage. Frontline has not gone down in quality, the fleas are starting to adapt to it. Capstar is a bitch to give to cats & usually require multiple treatments.

#8 Posted by diz (822 posts) -

I use Frontline for 2 cats and a dog and it works well in keeping the fleas away. I think a regular preventative (once every two months) prescribed dosage is the best idea since, as others have already stated, fleas can live and breed in the soft furnishings and hop onto pets for a feed. If you disrupt that routine, the fleas will be unable to continue that life-cycle and die out.

Cats will get fleas from other cats and theres not much you can do to prevent that, aside from regular preventative treatments. I'm amazed you can bathe your cat, since my cats and dog are particularly bath-averse and will not tolerate that sort of thing. It's hard enough trying to keep them still while administering the flea drops!

#9 Posted by zolloz89 (247 posts) -

When my cats had fleas, they got a couple of baths a week (though that was a nightmare) and a couple of run throughs a day with a flea comb. Since then I have a script for Revolution.

#10 Posted by UnlimitedSheep (32 posts) -

Dawn dish soap kills fleas instantly. It's what they used when I volunteered at a local humane society. I remember a litter of kittens came in absolutely infested with fleas, and we gave them a bath with lukewarm water and the regular Dawn dish soap. It's gentle on their skin and fur, and hundreds of fleas coated the tub when we rinsed them off. It only took one bath, about fifteen minutes for all six or seven of the kittens, and by the end they were flea-free.

Be careful though...they're way harder to get rid of if they spread anywhere in your house. I use Frontline as a preventative for my cat; he's an outside cat, but I've never had a problem with him getting fleas.

#11 Posted by EthanielRain (592 posts) -

Last time I used one of these products, my pet's back legs became paralyzed, he lost control of his bladder and started having seizure-like episodes for almost 2 days.

If you can't afford to take it to the vet, do what you gotta do...I don't recommend any of these types of products though.

#12 Posted by StarvingGamer (7586 posts) -

I used Frontline for a long time with no adverse effects to my cats and it was solid. Unfortunately, a few months ago we had a sudden massive outbreak. Fleas everywhere, and they seemed to be laughing at Frontline. I ended up trying this thing that I found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CY1CNP8/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they've worked great. The effects kick in immediately and seem to last ~3 weeks, not quite the month as advertised but still, not too shabby.