Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Amorfati

@damnboyadvance said:

Humans have no rights. "

Please elaborate, sir.

In the second world war law-abiding Japanese US citizens had their "rights" taken away from them. If rights can be taken away then they are not rights they are priviledges.   
@Symphony said:

" @Amorfati: You are living in such an ignorant bubble. I gave you a reason for why people kill rabbits in environments they don't belong in and offered up the alternatives and why we don't use them. You came back with "We don't need to kill rabbits to survive or to protect crops", without offering any alternative. 

Why the should I offer alternatives? It's you who's promoting rabbit killing so the burden lies with you to prove that it's justified. All I have to do is show that your justifications are void, not offer alternatives. My purpose was never to offer the solution but to simply argue against the killing of the rabbits and you have failed to produce sound reasoning why we should kill them. The closest you have come is "because then we would have to pay more taxes" but as I have said: A. We might not have to pay higher taxes  (you would have to show that there are no alternatives to killing that wouldn't compromise tax payments) and B. How is keeping taxes low a justification for killing?

We wouldn't have places in that mess to begin with if we hadn't let them be to the point were it's become an "over-population" issue! Think about the bigger picture, not just about the bunny rabbits' feelings.I'd love to know what your alternative solutions are. Just let them continue to breed and ruin the ecosystem they've invaded? Spay and neuter them (but that might be cruel! We didn't ask for permission first. And who's going to shoulder the cost of doing that and keeping a tracking system going so they know which ones have been "fixed"!)? Higher a pied piper to play a song and mesmerize them into leaving town?  Your sarcastic replies only aided in showing the fact you really don't know anything about the issue. What next? Will your next rebuttal be "Oh noes the forum poster is telling me I'm ignorant! I'm so scared!" " 

All of this is irrelevant.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#152  Edited By Suicrat
@Icil said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

" @Amorfati said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

Would you prefer the bunnies to be dignified with a funeral and buried in a cemetery? You do not speak for all humans in saying "Utility is not our highest priority". History has shown that utility is indeed most people's highest priority, this is how our we as a species and civilization has managed to avoid extinction. "
If utility is our highest priority then why do we not burn our dead? "
Because we respect the wishes of family members. Until animals are capable of communicating their wishes to us, we can't just assume what is in their best interests for them. "
They communicate by screaming when we slit their throats. "
 See what I mean, FrankCanada97? Collective utility is not an effective argument against animal rights. Individualistic humanism is.
yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By yyZiggurat
@ninjakiller: Man, I LOVE KitKats.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Icil said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
" @Amorfati said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

Would you prefer the bunnies to be dignified with a funeral and buried in a cemetery? You do not speak for all humans in saying "Utility is not our highest priority". History has shown that utility is indeed most people's highest priority, this is how our we as a species and civilization has managed to avoid extinction. "
Because we respect the wishes of family members. Until animals are capable of communicating their wishes to us, we can't just assume what is in their best interests for them. "
They do that when a wolf claws at them and rips them apart as well. It always happens at death. You know what I mean, they cannot communicate with us at an intellectual level because they are not sapient and thus are incapable of letting their views be known to us. I'll say it again, until animals are sapient, we cannot assume what is best for animals for them.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By ninjakiller
@HomemadeZiggurat: Totally, Kit Kats or Charleston Chews are my favorites. 
Amorfati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Amorfati
@FrankCanada97 said:

" @Amorfati said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

Because we respect the wishes of family members.
Exactly respecting the wishes of family members comes in as a higher priority than utility. Therefore, utility is not always our highest priority.
Psykerstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Psykerstar

Fuck Peta

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#158  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Suicrat said:
" @Icil said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

" @Amorfati said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

See what I mean, FrankCanada97? Collective utility is not an effective argument against animal rights. Individualistic humanism is. "
Okay, how about everyone just mind their own business and let everyone do what they feel is right.
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By slinky6

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Suicrat
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @Suicrat said:
" @Icil said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

" @Amorfati said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

See what I mean, FrankCanada97? Collective utility is not an effective argument against animal rights. Individualistic humanism is. "
Okay, how about everyone just mind their own business and let everyone do what they feel is right. "
I can endorse this principle, but the verb tying that concept to reality is difficult for some people to abide. (Not me, but those who don't accept the hypothesis that the initiation of force is the dividing line of ethics.)
CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By CactusWolf
@HomemadeZiggurat said:
" @ninjakiller: Man, I LOVE KitKats. "
One of the few statements in this topic that I can agree with.
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Icil
@FrankCanada97 said:
" @Icil said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
" @Amorfati said:

@FrankCanada97 said:

They do that when a wolf claws at them and rips them apart as well. It always happens at death. You know what I mean, they cannot communicate with us at an intellectual level because they are not sapient and thus are incapable of letting their views be known to us. I'll say it again, until animals are sapient, we cannot assume what is best for animals for them. "
I believe we're allowed to assume what is best by eliminating what is 'not best'. Animals can readily give favorable and unfavorable responses to some stimuli and we can record whether they enjoy it or not. This doesn't translate into a macro sense, however, because those rabbits can't recognize that their reproductive rates are skyrocketing -- we recognize it for them. So therefore, I believe that on an individual level, the basic rights of humans translate well into animals, but when talking about communities of animals and species, the rules get muddy.

Personally, I think macro-level environmentalism is bull. Environmentalists think Earth is some pansy you can just slap around. It's not. It can mend the damage humans cause and possibly even seek vengeance, so if we're doing something wrong, Earth will punish us (with famine, probably). I feel like the planet's giving its resources to us like a loan for these few centuries, because it knows (figuratively) that when our tech gets better, we'll turn the Earth into a supremely habitable place, complete with all animals via cloning.  /pipedream
Avatar image for youknowwhattheysay
YouKnowWhatTheySay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PETA is just another group of self-righteous wannabe tyrants. Ever notice how so many cults and extremists make special demands on their members diets? Judaism, Islam and several other religions have special restrictions on food consumption and Charles Manson, Adolph Hitler, and Pol Pot are just a few examples of famous vegetarian crazies. Eating is fundamental to survival and is a basic human instinct, so a person who restricts diet because of 'moral' nonsense is invariably emotionally disturbed and irrational. Furthermore they are out of touch with the vague but sacred 'Nature' they worship, as anyone can see that carnivores and omnivores are a natural occurrence in any ecosystem. Apparently these moralist vegans love furry predators who run down and rip apart their prey with fangs and claws but they expect humans to never harm a fly, a classic example of the logical inconsistency which is so prevalent in western society.  

This hypocrisy is also evident in moralist vegans repeated use of violent intimidation, or 'direct action' as they like to phrase it, to impose their cult ideology on more rational society. Arson, vandalism, and threats are the modus operandi of the vegan vanguard and instead of pacifying this violent minority western governments have decided to add a vegan selection to prison menus. For some reason I can't discern the government of the United States and those of various EU countries are unwilling to protect the rights of peaceful citizens from the little tyrants that comprise the moralist vegan movement. Rights as basic as what we can eat and what we can wear are at stake here. Essential institutions for public welfare such as biomedical and agricultural research facilities are being threatened by unskilled, destructive, and altogether useless fanatics. 

If anyone is interested in taking grassroots action against organization like PETA I'd be eager to help. I live just an hours drive from DC, which is obviously a very politically active area, and I would be glad to meet other people who want to protect human rights from so-called 'animal rights' organizations.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#164  Edited By damnboyadvance
@Amorfati: If they are only privileges, they are priveliges we work pretty damn hard for to protect. They are God given rights. Humans aren't selectively chosen to have such an "opportunity," if you will.

Whether Japan tried to take these rights away from US citizens is beside the fact. A right cannot be truly taken away, at least in the United States of America.
Sestren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#165  Edited By Sestren
@ninjakiller: I'd never defend PETA, being a biologist, because their stances are based completely on feelings as opposed to anything empirical. However, after reading the linked article, it seems their qualm here is specifically the killing of these rabbits rather than the burning itself. The gruesome-sounding story of grinding up the carcasses and burning them probably piqued their interest, but I think they don't want the bunnies killed.  

They have probably not considered, however, the implications of rabbit overpopulation.  

PETA is horseshit; don't get me wrong. They complained that Obama killed a fly on TV, for example. I don't think they've figured out how to reconcile their ultraliberal animal rights beliefs with the more unconsciously liberal subscription to science-as-god that being leftist nearly requires...since it's impossible to do so. It probably hasn't occurred to them that they don't make sense.
CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By CactusWolf
@damnboyadvance said:
" They are God given rights."
Not exactly a good argument.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By damnboyadvance
@wordsgohere said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
Not exactly a good argument. "
I recognize that, however your response is not a worthy one.
CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By CactusWolf
@damnboyadvance said:
" @wordsgohere said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
I recognize that, however your response is not a worthy one. "
That's because I'm observing, not partaking.
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By damnboyadvance
@wordsgohere said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" @wordsgohere said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
I recognize that, however your response is not a worthy one. "
That's because I'm observing, not partaking. "
Then let us not start something. With that, I bid you farewell sir.
CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By CactusWolf
@damnboyadvance: And a good day to you, sir.
raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By raegunz_

Burning bunnies for fuel is pretty fucked up, sure.
But, for the most part, animals are here for me to eat. That's what they're for, right? Didn't our ancestors use them for food and their hides for clothing and all that rot? Yes.

I'm the most bleeding heart animal lover you'll ever meet, but there's a line.
The latest "anti-fishing" craze has me completely baffled. I mean, fish?? FISH ARE SO TASTY.
And what other purpose do they serve other than being dipped in tartar sauce? (Or Ketchup, if you're me.) My boyfriend's old college room-mate did one of those silent demonstrations, too. Dressed up like a fish, painted himself all sparkly blue. More power to them; free speech & all. But... I'm pretty sure if I wafted a big fat plate of fish sticks in his face, he'd be down for dunkin.

I'm just sayin.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172  Edited By VisariLoyalist

peta is insane, but then again so is factory farming.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Suicrat

You leave for a few hours and all of a sudden people are claiming rights are granted by God and that factory farming is insane. Rights aren't granted by anyone, and factory farming is cost-effective. Rights are enforced by the holder of them (and governments exist to protect them, except when they are the worst offenders, at which point it's time for a peaceful overthrow of the government), and factory farming exists because there are billions of mouths to be fed and only so much land from which to feed them.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#174  Edited By Gunner

they are using scare tactics, much in the same way as the government does.. If you really want to help get rid of them, just ignore them and go on with your life.