Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos Review

D-Man123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By D-Man123

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos is a standalone movie set in the universe of the Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood series. Not to be confused with Fullmetal Alchemist series that released years prior back in 2003. With that being said you don't have the show to be able to appreciate the movie with most of the characters of the show being absent or having tiny roles in the film. A blend of beautiful visuals, tight action scenes, and a fun yet by the numbers story then this anime is for you.

FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos brings Ed and Al to Amestrian occupied Table City in the nation of Creta after run in with a skilled alchemist using a different type of alchemy. Naturally, Ed and Al go there to learn more about this type of alchemy that the prisoner was using. Once there Ed and Al learn that at the bottom of the giant chasm that surrounds Table City is the Valley where the former residents of Table City the Miloians live. The Miloians are restlessly trying to retake back their holy land, for which they call the Hill of Milos, that was annexed from by the Creta and then by Amestris and a bloody conflict.

Ed and Al end up getting caught in the middle of the conflict and along the way meet some new characters. Julia Criton a resident of the Valley working with the Black Bats to make use of the Sanguine Star, known to Ed and Al as the Philosopher Stone, to control the magma underneath the Valley to take back the city. Colonel Herschel the leader of the Cretan military, Miranda leader of the Black Bats trying to take back the holy land and the escaped prisoner Melvin Voyager. The story was fun, but felt kinda by the numbers until the big twist, that I won't spoil here, half-way through makes the rest of the movie a blast.

The animation style is different from what you will see in the FMA Brotherhood series looking like a Studio Ghibli product. It doesn't look bad at all, but I'm not the biggest fan of how the people look preferring how they look in the anime. Another nitpick is the way their looks while it is blowing in the wind looks off to me. Yes, that is a minor gripe, but it still bothered me. The action scenes and background look splendid in this and sometimes it even outshines the show in this regard.

FMA The Sacred Star of Milos is a great movie for fans of FMA and newbies to the automail alchemist and armor suited brother alike. While the plot can feel by the numbers in some ways the pretty visuals and amazing looking actions will keep you engaged enough to where you will enjoy it nonetheless.