• 62 results
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

While The Simpsons is supposedly a classic and has been on for ever, Futurama was a way better show.  It is a really sad thing that it got canceled and relegated to "cult" status. It deserved as much of a fan base as The Simpsons does. Good thing Comedy Central saw the light and is bringing it back from the dead, I can only hope it doesn't go the way of Family Guy. Why do people think the Simpsons is better for some reason? I hope most of you like Futurama better.

This is really random, but I was just talking to someone about Futurama and it got me thinking.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

No Caption Provided
brewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By brewer

I like futurama but im a bigger, family guy, if you like futurama i really recommend http://futuramaff.com

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By grilledcheez

I like them both, I can't say that one is better than the other.  

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sanryd

I used to love the Simpsons when I was a bit younger, but just don't find it funny anymore. Futurama is more my speed now, but if you're talkin the best of the best: Family Guy/South Park as far as those types of shows go for me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Yes...yes it is.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

The reason The Simpsons has a bigger fanbase compared to Futurama is because more people can relate to The Simpsons and with Futurama its a lot of nerd humor.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Daveyo520
@jadeskye: Stop spreading your crazy religions around here! You will upset the main stream people that worship Oprahism or Voodoo.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho
@AckbarTheGreat said:
" The reason The Simpsons has a bigger fanbase compared to Futurama is because more people can relate to The Simpsons and with Futurama its a lot of nerd humor. "
Nerd humor is better than none humor.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jadeskye
@Daveyo520: church of trek ftw.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daveyo520
@GrilledCheez01: Search your heart, you know it to be true.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By c1337us

I haven't enjoyed The Simpsons in a long, long time. I don't know if that is a statement about me growing out of it or the show just getting tired though. Maybe a little bit of both.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Nephrahim

Yeah, Futurama appeals to nerds (Like all of us) but Simpsons is more mass market.  And hey, it's Funny, but Not AS funny. 

I'm NOT a big fan of Seth annimated shows, to be honest.  Family guy is alright, but the rest are pretty middling.  Never been a South Park fan either. 

Check out Archer on FX though.  It's the spiritual sequel to Sealab 2021 from the old Adult Swim, and it's pretty hilarious.

hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hai2u

simpsons is an icon, everyone knows it and it was really the first type of show of its kind , futurama is too techy and geeky to ever reach the popularity of the simpsons.

brewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brewer

Yeah i liked hte simpsons when i was younger

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveyo520
@jadeskye: I have never heard of Star Trek and if I had I would forget about it so I didn't cause any wars.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daveyo520
@SamDrugbringer: You should check out The Venture Bros.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By DanielJW

I like them both a lot. I feel like, with me, Futurama has a higher hit rate on jokes. However the Simpsons has a ton of episodes that are all consistently quite funny. I have to give Simpsons props for keeping it up so long, but Futurama has a bit of an edge. 

brewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brewer

yeah, but im more of a its so stupid its funny kinda guy haha

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clembo
Plot: hell yeah.  Don't care about Moe getting married then divorced  or some other circular episode where the already static characters become parodies of themselves for the 800th time.  Yawn.  New Simpsons is bad Simpsons by default.

Although some plot lines were long running in Futurama at least it wasn't like "Oh, it's another Hermes episode!"

Comedy: Early Simpsons was awesome and closer to satire than spoof.  Now it's all about updating the linguo rather than addressing timeless topics.  Oh you found out that Google was a popular search engine!  Good for you!

Futurama never got boring but sometimes it wasn't funny.  But I like how not every show is a parody of a Twilight Zone episode or piece of literature or a lame clip show.  Keeps it fresh.  It's harder to laugh at old jokes.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Kyreo

No Caption Provided
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Dalai

The Simpsons in their prime was better than Futurama, but I'll take Futurama over the most recent Simpsons episodes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Clembo said:
" Good for you!  Futurama never got boring but sometimes it wasn't funny. "
The non-funny episodes are my favorites.   
That damn dog episode is heart wrenching. 
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By davidwitten22

I love Futurama. It's my favorite show of all time. However, stop hating on the Simpsons. It may suck pretty badly now, but go watch seasons 3-9. Amazing stuff in those seasons, almost every joke is funny. If you're only gonna watch one season, make it 5 or 6. 7 and 8 are great too. Hell all four of those seasons deserve to be watched. 

Also, without the Simpsons there would be no Futurama. 

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By davidwitten22
@odintal said:
" @Clembo said:
The non-funny episodes are my favorites.   That damn dog episode is heart wrenching.  "
Exactly. And the series finale, where Fry gets the Robot Devil's hands, is astounding.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Daveyo520
@Clembo: Very well put.
LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiquidS

The Simpsons have had more funnier episodes than Futurama due to volume, just as they have had less funny episodes. 
Every Sunday/Monday we get at least 1 post about the fall of the Simpsons, think everyone can agree that it isn't what it used to be but the fact is you can't compare it to any other cartoon just because of how many years it has been on for. 

Anyways I'd take the 10 best Simpsons episodes over any other cartoon but do enjoy the others.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Daveyo520
@odintal said:
" @Clembo said:
The non-funny episodes are my favorites.   That damn dog episode is heart wrenching.  "
I got choked up when Semore  was waiting for Fry until he died.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Daveyo520 said:
" While The Simpsons is supposedly a classic and has been on for ever, Futurama was a way better show.  It is a really sad thing that it got canceled and relegated to "cult" status. It deserved as much of a fan base as The Simpsons does. Good thing Comedy Central saw the light and is bringing it back from the dead, I can only hope it doesn't go the way of Family Guy. Why do people think the Simpsons is better for some reason? I hope most of you like Futurama better.  This is really random, but I was just talking to someone about Futurama and it got me thinking. "

Wrong.

The Simpsons is far superior. Homer. That's all you need. Le grille.
Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Joshakazam

i just hate it how there hasn't been a new episode in like 4 years.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@lilman1101 said:
" i just hate it how there hasn't been a new episode in like 4 years. "
If you don't know already, the new season starts in like a month or 2.
stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By stephenage

It is true, Futurama is way better than the Simpsons.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Joshakazam
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @lilman1101 said:
" i just hate it how there hasn't been a new episode in like 4 years. "
If you don't know already, the new season starts in like a month or 2. "
i'm aware of that, but its not like they are gonna keep on going after that *cough*has happened before*cough*
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By DevWil

i realize this is totally subjective, but: 

i don't think futurama is anywhere near as good as the simpsons.  i haven't watched an awful lot of either show, but i tend to find the simpsons to be very creative and incisive.  conversely, futurama usually strikes me as boring and lazy.  i don't think it's because i'm not nerdy enough to get it; i think it's because the writing isn't as good. 

yeah the simpsons have a movie parody episode every year.  so what?  the jokes are better than 75% of the ones i hear in a futurama episode and when they reference pop culture they tend to do it in more creative ways, imo.

if your only argument for futurama being better is because it's got more nerdy references, then i guess robot chicken is better than monty python (it isn't).

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#35  Edited By Lazyaza

The Simpsons use to be the greatest cartoon of all time but at some point the writers decided to really dumb down the stories and humor, throw out all the wit and cleverness and well, you only have to watch a recent episode to see how bad its gotten.
So yeah I agree Futurama is awesome, way more awesome than the Simpsons has been in a long time.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By davidwitten22
@DevWil: You should try actually watching the show. 

I'd suggest episodes such as "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings", "The Sting", "Jurassic Bark"(Thought it's not that funny of an episode, it's amazing in terms of emotion), "I: Roommate". While I agree that the Simpson's best is better than Futurama's best, Futurama has a ton of quality episodes and I just prefer it. Unlike the OP though, I respect and love The Simpsons.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Welcome to, like, 10 years ago.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By DevWil
@davidwitten22:  
i've seen the show.  i just haven't seen as much as people who like the show. 

i've seen "the devil's hands...", "jurassic bark", and "i, roommate".  it's been a while, though.

i don't think futurama is garbage.  it's way better than a lot of shows, i just don't prefer to watch it over things that i think are good.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Xeiphyer

The simpsons was good back in the day, but its really degenerated over the years. Futurama is definitely better because its actually funny.

I prefer South Park though.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Emilio

The Simpsons... wow, havn't watched that in ages. 

Futurama was always my favorite of all the new cartoons that came around back then.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By penguindust

I love Futurama more than any show, but I still believe that the first 8 seasons of the Simpsons are unparalleled by any animated show and deserve to stand beside the best TV shows ever.  The problem with the Simpsons is it's been on for so long that it often feels stale or safe.  Hell, there was even a South Park spoofing that whatever concept for a story you come up with, the Simpsons has done it already.  After season 10, the show really went down in quality in my opinion.  However, since the movie, things have looked much better.  Perhaps they got a new writing staff or the team was invigorated.  Either way, the show should be let out to pasture soon.  21 years is a long time (the longest on American TV) and it's time to say goodbye.  Besides, when the show is finally put to rest, I heard they will make another movie. 

I am very much looking forward to the new Futurama, though.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By thegoldencat7

Well its kinda unfair to compare modern Simpsons to Futurama as its hardly even the same progamme anymore. If you compare the first 10 series though it would be pretty damn close. Either way they're my two faourite programmes ever.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By samcotts

I'm glad a lot of people are showing love for Futurama, easily my favourite animated series and my second fav show of all time. The Luck of the Fryrish is probably my favourite episode of anything ever.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jasonofindy

The Simpsons will always be better because of the early episodes and would be remembered as such if it was just cancelled in 97-98 when it stopped being good instead of being renewed for season after season of mediocrity.   That being said Futurama was excellent and much better than Family Guy, American Dad, et al.  The problem that Futurama had was with ratings due to football.  Across most of the populated portion of the country (the Eastern and Central time zones) the show was preempted almost every Sunday because NFL coverage ran long so no one actually got much chance to watch it.   

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By mutha3

Futarama is pretty good but it doesn't stand up to the earlier Simpons episodes.

Then again, The Simpons is utter shit these days, so I guess, overall: it balances out. Both are of equal quality.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By Kibblez

seasons 1-10 of the simpsons is some of the best tv ever made. Futurama is cool n all, but nowhere near as good as the simpsons in its prime.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By dr_nefarious

As many have mentioned. Simpons was really the first cartoon to address a satire and then later on spoof. They were the obnoxious family that we could all relate to and the creators weren't afraid to push the bar (at least for their time). futurama is more geeky nerd humor than anything but yes I would agree it is funnier. Although that's probably due to the fact that it hasn't been on nearly as long as the simpsons. The simpsons have been on for +20 years. Let's see how funny futurama can be for that long.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Futurama was great but season 2 through 10 of The Simpsons is untouchable TV perfection.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By habster3

They are equal shows in quality, but had different senses of humor. I'm just glad Futurama is coming back. Bad timing, though, since June 24 is my grandfather's 80th.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pie

The simpsons has been absolutely terrible since series 9 but series 1-9 hold a very special place in my heart, Ive watched all the episodes atleast 3/4 times and about 2 times with commentary on. I dont think any other animated shows can touch those series but Futurama is pretty damn awesome.