• 97 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

The best shows on G4 were old episodes of Starcade and Arrested Development.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#52  Edited By bobafettjm

Good riddance I say. I guess I am still bitter about the whole takeover/destroying of TechTV, which I absolutely loved.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By Hunter5024

There's no point in having a dedicated gaming channel when any gamer whose savvy enough to want to watch it has a video game website of preference anyways. Their game coverage was average at best anyways.

Erk_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Erk_Forever

For some reason, someone was like "Arrested development and star trek are totally not what we need. We need cops."

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

I wonder if they had gone back to covering video games they would have lasted longer. Initially it was a cool channel about video games in the early 2000s, then that wasn't successful for them, so they became a worse version of Spike TV, but then ironically video games got mainstream popularity, but they never went back to focusing on them.

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By gumdealer

A couple months back MMA news sites had reports that the UFC was in talks to buy G4 and turn it into a UFC channel, but that never happened and they ended up going on Fuel TV. A lot of people didn't believe the rumors at the time, but now they are looking a little more realistic.

VariantX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By VariantX

When that network no longer served the niche it originally did and just threw on crap like COPS and cheaters it was doomed to die the slow and miserable death it did. ZDtv might not have had millions of viewers, but it had original programming that served an audience no other network did. The executives who thought that putting on old programming from what i'd call "idiot tv" that could have been seen on 20 other network would get people to watch deserve to never work in those positions again.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DougQuaid

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

I wonder if they'll remember that they broadcast in Canada--

It's mostly just Electric Playground and Bait Car, up here.

They show reruns of Bait Car on G4 in Canada? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By clumsyninja1

I miss the Tommy Tallarico and Victor Lucas days...

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By papercut

After Sess and Kevin left, it was okay to pronounce it dead. Lot of good memories but none fro recent memories.

ARENA FOREVER! JUDGEMENT DAY! FILTER!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#61  Edited By Dagbiker

How long until GQ starts running a single show 24/7?

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By That1BlackGuy

I remember when I used to watch this channel and they had a good linup of content, but unfortunately the dedication was never there to truly build the network. I wish everyone the best, but real shit that channel was on life support for years and quite frankly, what they're branding it to probably won't fare any better.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By Marz

TechTV used to be awesome, then G4 happened..... yeah i don't miss it.

Timnoldzim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Timnoldzim

Meh. Good riddance, I say. The whole thing was always a failed experiment, destined for destruction.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Never watched G4. From the sound of it, it seems my soul has escaped unscathed.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@SirPsychoSexy said:

Maybe they shouldn't have ran cops and cheaters 24/7, just sayin.

Or a hipster 'tech' show.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By dichemstys

@papercut said:

After Sess and Kevin left, it was okay to pronounce it dead. Lot of good memories but none fro recent memories.

ARENA FOREVER! JUDGEMENT DAY! FILTER!

Once Filter stopped necessarily being about games I stopped watching it.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By buft

i like cops and cheaters nut not nearly as much as the top men over at g4 for sure

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By kindgineer

G4 died because the audience they targeted in the beginning wasn't large enough for their ambitions. I loved a couple of their segments, but in reality, none of it was that interesting. The reason Giant-bomb is as famous as they are is because they understand that "gamers" don't want to sit and listen to script-read opinions on games. The crew throws in their personalities, which causes bantering, joking around, and on occasion random fun that they record on video. G4 never achieved (with a few exceptions) that "human" feeling and thus slowly fell to the bottom where COPS and Cheaters found great/cheap marathon opportunities.

I think what we really need is to have something along the same lines as "Mythbusters" for gamers instead of an entire channel. Something that encourages outside the box thinking and is not simply "CNN" for gamers.

RIP G4!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By dichemstys

Tommy fuckin' hated this game.

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By sissylion

I really liked G4 when I was ten years old. By twelve I was too old for it.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Red

I liked them when I was 12. When I was 12 I also liked Linkin Park and the Star Wars prequels.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#73  Edited By Hailinel

@Dagbiker said:

How long until GQ starts running a single show 24/7?

I give it two years tops.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ajamafalous

I never liked X-Play (never been a Sessler fan honestly) but I used to like AOTS back when it was Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn. Chris Hardwick and Blair Herter were pretty cool too. 

Also COPS.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By wadtomaton

I enjoyed it back in the day when it had the name of the website as a show. those were the days...I wonder what Dave is up to these days >_>;;;;

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#76  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yeah, I never actually had G4 until it had already become Ninja Warrior and Cops. I will say, Ninja Warrior is pretty fucking awesome, but it's sad that something supposed to be about games (which I hear are pretty popular these days) die due to abandoning what the it was created for.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By mrpandaman

@demonknightinuyasha said:

I enjoyed it back in the day when it had the name of the website as a show. those were the days...I wonder what Dave is up to these days >_>;;;;

I love G4TV.com the show and a lot of the stuff that was solely on TechTV and G4TV before they merged.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Zajtalan

Kevin p is a tool. Adam and Morgan were cool

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ben_H
@Apparatus_Unearth said:

Tommy fuckin' hated this game.

That show was so amazing.
myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By myniceicelife

When there was TechTV, I watched that a lot. Then when G4 took merged with them, I know longer got the channel so I was pissed that I wouldn't be able to watch the shows i used to. Then again none of those shows are around anymore or even the people, so i could care less either way.

kogasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By kogasu

@Apparatus_Unearth said:

I remember discovering it it back around 2003-4? Shit was awesome. The shows were actually fun to watch. Good X-Play episodes, Filter, Cheat, G4TV.com, Cinematech, Sweat, Players, JUDGMENT DAY, Arena, Portal, Blister. Entertaining shows.

Wow, I just had all the memories flood back to me. I miss the old G4 back when it really WAS just video games. I could have watched that channel all day, every day.... besides Sweat and Players. It was great when Tech TV merged with it too, but now I just don't really care about that channel anymore so I'm fine that it's gone.

Also, I think this thread should be nominated for best thread title or something.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By avidwriter

TechTV was amazing, too bad I only found the channel about a year before it died. :\

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By williamhenry

@ck1nd said:

G4 died because the audience they targeted in the beginning wasn't large enough for their ambitions. I loved a couple of their segments, but in reality, none of it was that interesting. The reason Giant-bomb is as famous as they are is because they understand that "gamers" don't want to sit and listen to script-read opinions on games. The crew throws in their personalities, which causes bantering, joking around, and on occasion random fun that they record on video. G4 never achieved (with a few exceptions) that "human" feeling and thus slowly fell to the bottom where COPS and Cheaters found great/cheap marathon opportunities.

I think what we really need is to have something along the same lines as "Mythbusters" for gamers instead of an entire channel. Something that encourages outside the box thinking and is not simply "CNN" for gamers.

RIP G4!

Giant Bomb also doesn't have to sell commercial air time like a TV network does. Giant Bomb can afford to appeal directly to their niche. They don't have to get millions of people to watch the site all day, nor does it cost millions to produce content.

I understand why people think the network failed because it abandoned its initial target audience, but the fact of the matter is, that audience just wasn't large enough to sustain an entire network. So no wonder they started airing whatever they could get their hands on. Ultimately that led to hours of Cops and Cheaters as they were probably dirt cheap to acquire.

SAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SAC

Not going to lie. When I was 13, I was lived g4. Cinematech, icons, arena, g4tv.com, cheat (Diane mizota!), electric playground, blister, C play were all decent shows for my teenaged video game obsessed mind. I used to post on their forums too. Once Kevin and Sessler left it was pretty apparent the network was on heavy duty life support. RIP

Morgan Webb, call me! I can help you through this bb!

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Like Giant Bomb.

Shut yer G4.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By PillClinton

The downfall really started with Attack of the Show. God, I hate that piece of shit show.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By AiurFlux

Not going to lie, the only bearable thing on G4 for me was Leo Laporte. Everything other than that was kind of shit.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By penguindust

I have DirectTV so it's been dead to me for a while. I figured the writing was on the wall when SpikeTV started simulcasting the E3 conventions. I loved the network back in the day, but then the merger with TechTV happened and it just didn't seem to gel after that. Plus, how do you sell a TV network to a demographic that gets most of its news off the internet? It's ironic that a TV network about technology was doomed by technology. This applies to both TechTV and G4. Ah well, everything ends eventually.

I had such a thing for Diane Mizota.

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By badsmalltalker

It's about time for someone to finally do something about the terrible state of the network. But I'm not gonna lie, I will miss (already do) what it used to be. Having not gotten deep into games until late middle school, everything on Cinematech, X-Play, Icons, Filter, and the Screen Savers was all new information to me.

I think G4TechTV was how I played catch-up since I couldn't afford to buy many games, and didn't have a SNES or any pre-Dreamcast Sega systems.

Apparently the Canadian G4 still plays some of those old shows, and I really want to see for myself for nostalgia's sake.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Sursh

Died years ago... Shame 'Attack of the show' and 'X play' can't be revived, though I doubt artificial respiration will return so quickly if aforementioned revival takes occurance, which could, unfortunately, kill it for good.

drjota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By drjota

Artist formerly known as ZDTV,we barely knew ya.

Now go get in line and get a number.Everyone wants to take the ferry.

NarcolepticBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By NarcolepticBat

Is NINJA WARRIOR an acronym? Seems like the only reasonable explanation for the caps.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#93  Edited By MightyDuck

I remember a bit of Cinematech and Judgement Day. That seems like forever ago though.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By JayDee

like jeff i have directv so havent seen in years and dont really care. but kumail nanjiani is hosting attack of the show this week so i wish i could see that. attack of the show was fun late afternoon/early evening entertainment for a while and i have fun revisiting the youtube clips of shit i saw years ago.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

This is kind of like hearing that some celebrity died that you thought was already dead...

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

There were only like two shows on the entire network that even had a remote connection to games in the five or so years that I've had G4 on my plan. 95% of the time it was Cops, Cheaters and Campus P.D. It was like the cesspool of reality television. So good riddance. It's too bad things turned out that way, though. I just think that conceptually they were a little ahead of their time, and the audience for that kind of stuff wasn't quite there. Hence the horrible downward spiral.

oneidwille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By oneidwille

I liked Codemonkeys, that is all. Sessler was ok.