#1 Posted by sarahsdad (1085 posts) -

Sprint's doing an offer for the Galaxy Tab 3, 7" model, where they'll sell it to you for just a bit over 50.00, if you sign up for a data plan, minimum of 5.00 a month.

I don't by any stretch NEED a tablet, but I'm curious if there's any measure where the ~110 I would have spent by the end of the year would be a good deal, as compared to buying a used Nexus 7 or something similar.

If it enters into anyone's equation, I would be using this probably 99% at home, on wi-fi. It would be primarily for email, web-surfing, and maybe a bit of Netflix when the TV is otherwise occupied, and I don't want to lug around a laptop.

#2 Edited by Evilsbane (4577 posts) -

I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 and have sold 100s of the tab and I think they are really great devices and their price is one of those things, get it cancel the data plan have fun.

#3 Posted by ILikePopCans (748 posts) -

#4 Edited by Kidavenger (3526 posts) -

I have a tab 10.1, I like it, but make sure the one you are getting is not the 8gb one, the OS uses up 4gb on mine, and you can't fill it right up, I think mine uses some of the built in storage to help with RAM duties, I filled my 16gb and it ran like garbage until I deleted a bunch of stuff.

#5 Posted by sarahsdad (1085 posts) -

@evilsbane and @kidavenger Thanks for the input, y'all. The model they're selling has 16gig of internal storage, so if it's taking ~4 of that for the OS, I should be OK. Not sure about cancelling the plan. They have an early termination fee that looks like it's calculated as (monthly charge * months left in the plan). If I cancelled, it would easily be 120, (if the fee was based on the base monthly charge, not the +Fees, etc).

That's a big part of why I'm on the fence. I tend to buy and hold on my electronics, so when I look at the charge, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more worth it to get a used Nexus (or something) for about 150, and then not have any monthly charges.

#6 Posted by sarahsdad (1085 posts) -

@ilikepopcans: I assume that's advance warning about the adverse effect of owning too many Samsung products. At least I hope it is.

#7 Edited by ch3burashka (5036 posts) -

I do not understand of a tablet with cell coverage. You have a phone for cell reception; there's no reason to be connected on a not-quite-laptop.

PS get a Nexus 7. It's pretty much the best by default.

I guess as long as they don't screw you by raising the fee to 50 bucks/month 6 months later, 50+5/month is a pretty good deal. Do what your heart tells you.

#8 Edited by sarahsdad (1085 posts) -

I do not understand of a tablet with cell coverage. You have a phone for cell reception; there's no reason to be connected on a not-quite-laptop.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking the 5.00/month plan. Maybe if I had a daily commute on a train I would get the higher data plan, but I work from home so.....who knows when the data would get used.