#101 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Liked the last episode, yeah it was a bit fast (It felt really short), but they're setting up some great stuff. I really like the Margery stuff, in the books she's not as well depicted (mostly because it's all from other character's perspectives), in this you can totally see her growing into the smooth operator she is, which makes later stuff make a lot more sense. Really like the Queen of Thorns as well, she's one of my favourite characters in the books, although I think she could be even more blunt and cynical in the show. Can't wait for the new Danny stuff, the upcoming slave army scene is probably my favourite scene of the whole series. I agree the Brienne/Jaime dynamic is brilliant in the series, pretty much perfect, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is fucking phenomenal as Jaime. Really wish they'd get to the good Arya stuff though, she's probably my favourite part of the books.

My one criticism is that Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran) aged a ton between this series and the last, even his voice changed, so it's a bit jarring, although not much they could have done about puberty.

Iwan Rheon (Simon from MisFits) as the Bastard is gonna be sensational as well.

#102 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY shit.

#103 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

Well, that was unexpected.

#104 Edited by Jams (2961 posts) -

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

wait, did I miss oh right. I forgot about that already and I just got done watching. That's going to be interesting going forward. We're talking about the same thing right

Give me a "high-five" if we are.

#105 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

wait, did I miss oh right. I forgot about that already and I just got done watching. That's going to be interesting going forward. We're talking about the same thing right

Sorry...I can't.

I seem to have lost the ability.

#106 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

I saw that end coming, but man was it still shocking.

#107 Edited by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Sorry...I can't.

I'll give Jamie a hand for helping out Brienne.

#108 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Sorry...I can't.

I thought I would be able to grasp Jamie as a character, but now I feel like I can't get a proper handle on the situation.

#109 Posted by gla55jAw (2689 posts) -

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Sorry...I can't.

I thought I would be able to grasp Jamie as a character, but now I feel like I can't get a proper handle on the situation.

I don't know if we're still doing joshing here, but I kinda don't hate Jamie that much since he's been with Brienne...and I just remembered he murdered his cousin to escape. We'll see what happens from here.

#110 Posted by Pachtar_Klepek (89 posts) -

dafuq

#111 Posted by JNeam (77 posts) -

Shiit man.

#112 Edited by Jams (2961 posts) -

@gla55jaw said:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Sorry...I can't.

I don't know if we're still doing joshing here, but I kinda don't hate Jamie that much since he's been with Brienne...and I just remembered he murdered his cousin to escape. We'll see what happens from here.

both for me :) I'm that good. Feel the same as you. He's done some pretty bad things so far including pushing a kid off of a tower to his death for seeing him bone down on his sister. That's pretty hard to come back from. Let alone killing your cousin to escape.

#113 Posted by Aegon (5636 posts) -

I don't like what they're doing with Theon. They should've saved it for another season and given more breathing room for everything else.

#114 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Sorry...I can't.

both for me :) I'm that good. Feel the same as you. He's done some pretty bad things so far including pushing a kid off of a tower to his death for seeing him bone down on his sister. That's pretty hard to come back from. Let alone killing your cousin to escape.

I gotta hand it to the guy. He's a terrible person but I like him quite a bit. Even Tywin is likeable. Cercei and Joffrey can still go fuck themselves (or, in Lannister fashion, eachother) however. I really like that they're starting to show the evil on both sides of the war.

#115 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4800 posts) -

I've gotta hand it to Jaime Lannister, dude has his honourable moments.

I'm so, so sorry.

#116 Posted by TheHT (11257 posts) -

that was one of the things i accidentally spoiled for myself when i thought looking through forums and wikis was at all a safe thing to do.

still, HOLY FUCKING SHITTTTTTTHNNNNNNGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSTHATMUSTSTING

#117 Posted by Tearhead (2168 posts) -

That ending was fucked up! Still more fucked up and cringe worthy was the "I'm gonna fuck you into the dirt" line, uuuggggghhhh....

#118 Edited by project343 (2825 posts) -

@theht said:

that was one of the things i accidentally spoiled for myself when i thought looking through forums and wikis was at all a safe thing to do.

Fairly minor thing to spoil in the grand scheme of things. :)

The why, the how, and the 'what this might do to his character' are far more interesting things to explore.

#119 Posted by TheHT (11257 posts) -

@theht said:

Fairly minor thing to spoil in the grand scheme of things. :)

The why, the how, and the 'what this might do to his character' are far more interesting things to explore.

ok, that's good to hear. the other thing i accidentally spoiled for myself is a big thing to do with catelyn. hopefully that's it and i can be properly surprised by other shit this season. the momentum sure is picking up.

also, i think i know what dany's hatching, clever girl.

#120 Edited by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Goddam I can't wait for Danny to pull off her plan, it's fucking sweet. Really interested to see where they take the Bastard as well. Also, is it just me, or is Littlefinger going to the Eyrie way earlier than usual?

@aegon said:

I don't like what they're doing with Theon. They should've saved it for another season and given more breathing room for everything else.

The thing is they could have, what's happening now isn't in the books (which does make it pretty interesting I guess). In the books they just sort of 'skip' to the end result, and you're not sure quite how they got there.

#121 Edited by Aegon (5636 posts) -

@inkerman said:

Goddam I can't wait for Danny to pull off her plan, it's fucking sweet. Really interested to see where they take the Bastard as well. Also, is it just me, or is Littlefinger going to the Eyrie way earlier than usual?

@aegon said:

The thing is they could have, what's happening now isn't in the books (which does make it pretty interesting I guess). In the books they just sort of 'skip' to the end result, and you're not sure quite how they got there.

The way it was revealed in the book was much more exciting. It was one of the best moments in the entire series. If this whole thing where "Yara" comes to the rescue right away somehow, because she magically was informed that he was being kept by the Boltons, is what it looks like, then it'll just end up feeling like a worse shift in the story. Ramsay being killed off like that is just so freaking weird.

#122 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -

@aegon: Ramsay being killed?

@inkerman: Also potential spoilers in your post about Dany there.

#123 Edited by Nux (2360 posts) -

I must say that last scene was handled very nicely.

Damn that was crazy and came out of no where

#124 Posted by SeanCoughing (269 posts) -

I really liked how they handled the Jaime scene. even though I've read the books I kinda thought the were gonna puss out on the hand choppage, then wham!. i also thought the actor playing him did a good job portraying the horror of Jaime losing his sword hand. I thought the scenes with pod were kinda cheesy and out of place though. Finally hearing "the bear and the maiden fair" was another highlight (punk version and all). was that guy torturing theon confirmed to be Ramsay snow? Cuz I didn't think it was him but others do, I would be a little disappointed if so.

#125 Posted by gaminghooligan (1445 posts) -

@aegon said:

Yup, it's overkill, we're wasting precious time watching Theon get tortured in scenes they've just made up for the show, when there's so much good content from the books they could be elaborating on. Other than that I think the show is still fantastic. Also The Bear and the Maiden Fair in the credits made myself and three other fans of the books cheer like crazy while the people who hadn't read them looked very confused.

#126 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@seancoughing: The guy that released him and then shot and killed the dudes chasing him was Ramsay Snow.

#127 Posted by gaminghooligan (1445 posts) -

@benny said:

@seancoughing: The guy that released him and then shot and killed the dudes chasing him was Ramsay Snow.

yup no one else could be that cold.

#128 Posted by SeanCoughing (269 posts) -

@benny Oh ok they threw me for a loop as soon as the whole theon stuff started happening, considering I'm currently reading book 5 and they've only mentioned theon like once in the 3rd book.

#129 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -

@seancoughing: @gaminghooligan: My hope is that it's some kind of sick game on Ramsay's part before he gets to flaying Theon. He's known to release female prisoners and have his dogs hunt them in the books before feeding them to the dogs and naming the dogs after their lunch.

#130 Posted by stryker1121 (1442 posts) -

@benny said:

@seancoughing: @gaminghooligan: My hope is that it's some kind of sick game on Ramsay's part before he gets to flaying Theon. He's known to release female prisoners and have his dogs hunt them in the books before feeding them to the dogs and naming the dogs after their lunch.

I was a bit confused about this adaptation from the books myself, but yes, I think Ramsay is just fucking with Theon at this point.

#131 Posted by gaminghooligan (1445 posts) -

@benny said:

I was a bit confused about this adaptation from the books myself, but yes, I think Ramsay is just fucking with Theon at this point.

totally. I think they hinted at it pretty hard with the "You little bastard." line from the guard that got an arrow lodged in his brain.

#132 Posted by Mezmero (1900 posts) -

Pretty great episode this week. Was not expecting that ending. My favorite part was the small council meeting. There we see the cast of characters playing the game of thrones without even saying a word and it is glorious. Still love this show. Can't wait to see more.

#133 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@mezmero: The way they pulled the chairs across the room was just glorious.

#134 Posted by Marino (4697 posts) -

Like others have said, I knew that Jamie was going to lose a hand, but I didn't know the context of when, how, where, etc. When I saw him lying there on the table like that, I was like "Oh shit...this has gotta be it." Still shocking though.

Staff Online
#135 Posted by Fattony12000 (7410 posts) -

God damn, Nathalie Emmanuel.

#136 Posted by Ramone (2966 posts) -

@fattony12000 said:

Did anyone else think her acting was completely terrible? The bit after Dany buys her I was just shouting "SHOW SOME FUCKING EMOTION, STOP TALKING IN MONOTONE"

#137 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

COULD YOU PEOPLE PLEASE, WHEN YOU USE A SPOILER TAG, TELL US WHETHER YOU'RE SPOILING THE LATEST EPISODE/PAST EPISODES, OR SOMETHING FROM THE BOOKS TO BE SEEN IN FUTURE EPISODES ETC.

I mean fuck, this thread is like a mine field.

Anyway, that ending was totally bananas. I mean this is Jamie, he's cool and invincible, he just got his HAND chopped of. This isn't Star Wars, no more sword fights for this guy! Really loved how he saved the big woman though, her screams were painful.

Can anyone tell me who Theon's captivators were and who the guy who saved him from them was? The whole Theon shindig from the moment he rode to capture Winterfell until now is one big mess in my head. One moment he's burning Winterfell and killing its residents, the next moment he's surrounded/has to flee/his men betray him/he's a prisoner/WTF

#138 Posted by TheHT (11257 posts) -

@ramone said:

@fattony12000 said:

Did anyone else think her acting was completely terrible? The bit after Dany buys her I was just shouting "SHOW SOME FUCKING EMOTION, STOP TALKING IN MONOTONE"

Not really, considering she's a slave.

#139 Edited by Benny (1953 posts) -

@officegamer: Sorry, I assume that this thread is considered 'up to date' with the show, meaning anything in spoiler tags is beyond where the show is, although book talk probably shouldn't even be in this thread.

You'll learn more about the guy who let theon go later on. It's the same dude that let him go who shot those dudes with a bow also, although it was probably not that obvious unless you were keeping an eye out for the actor.

#140 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@benny: Cool thanks.

Also here's the case in point - people using spoiler tags for things that happened in the latest episode even though this thread is dedicated to discussing that very episode.. here:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Sorry...I can't.

@ramone said:

@fattony12000 said:

#141 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@benny: Cool thanks.

Also here's the case in point - people using spoiler tags for things that happened in the latest episode even though this thread is dedicated to discussing that very episode.. here:

@mariachimacabre said:

@jams said:

@gla55jaw said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Sorry...I can't.

@ramone said:

@fattony12000 said:

Don't blame us for talking about the show. Blame the people talking about things in the latest book when the thread is about the third season of the show, which is adapted from the third book. There's a reason I barely come to this thread, despite wanting to. Every single post is about the damn books.

#142 Posted by ripelivejam (3962 posts) -

and that's the point jaime starts becoming pretty likeable (for a child-tossing-from-tower miscreant :) )

#143 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Really glad HBO decided to break up the third book into two separate seasons, buy maybe breaking it into three seasons would have served the show better.

#144 Edited by ripelivejam (3962 posts) -

also obligatory:

#145 Edited by Leptok (942 posts) -

Can anyone tell me who Theon's captivators were and who the guy who saved him from them was? The whole Theon shindig from the moment he rode to capture Winterfell until now is one big mess in my head. One moment he's burning Winterfell and killing its residents, the next moment he's surrounded/has to flee/his men betray him/he's a prisoner/WTF

They are the same people, he likes to fuck with his prisoners, giving them hope that they can escape and then punishing them for trying, etc. He's Roose Bolton's bastard son, Ramsay. Roose talks to Rob about how his bastard can gather some men and retake Winterfell last season. Theon's men knocked him out and gave him up so they could escape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nu280lSyWKk#t=309s

#146 Edited by Kohe321 (3529 posts) -

Having read the books and not having to worry about spoilers is the way to go! :D

Last episode was good. I think S3 has started kind of weak, but they finally got some sense of momentum going now.

#147 Edited by ripelivejam (3962 posts) -

@leptok said:

@officegamer said:

They are the same people, he likes to fuck with his prisoners, giving them hope that they can escape and then punishing them for trying, etc. He's Roose Bolton's bastard son, Ramsay. Roose talks to Rob about how his bastard can gather some men and retake Winterfell last season. Theon's men knocked him out and gave him up so they could escape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nu280lSyWKk#t=309s

book spoiler (sort of) i like how they're showing the things that happened to theon firsthand and they're building up the bastard to be a crazy fuck. i'm guessing this is to replace that they didn't have him last season and had all the fucked up crap with him taking the identity of reek/getting reek killed, then suggesting to theon to kill the farm boys, and tricking him in the end

it is getting a bit much to follow/too jumbled i agree

#148 Edited by alternate (2704 posts) -

This thread is terrible :-P

Between

"Wah, this show is shit, they made small changes from the books", to

"Wah, books 4 and 5 are shit anyway", via

"I read the book so I am going to drop hints about spoilers for those who have not".

If you are watching the show and don't want to be spoiled I would avoid this thread like the plague.

#149 Posted by TheHT (11257 posts) -

Holy fucking shit. I know I say that alot, but holy fucking shit.

#150 Edited by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

This show is real fun as long as you don't think about it.