• 68 results
#1 Edited by Devil240Z (3870 posts) -

EDIT:

WOW! this is alot more negative that I expected. I was only being like 2% serious by the way. I could really care less I am mostly tying to explore the differences in perception on what a video game is.

My topics are meant to promote general discussion I use examples from my life to give them weight. THIS TOPIC ISN'T ACTUALLY ABOUT ME ITS ABOUT EVERYONE.

Catchy title huh?

Anyway I have noticed a trend with my girlfriend recently. She likes video games and goes nuts for games like Phoenix Wright and I've gotten her slightly hooked on GT5 but in my opinion she often wastes her time on really shitty farmville type games on Android. Ive tried to explain her that these things are not games but a series of timers. I mean literally one of the games she plays is a chef game and all you do is choose what food you want to prepare, it could take anywhere from 5 min to 24 hours, its actually a timer counting down. TO WHAT? To getting to start another timer.

I should probably just let it go, but its still annoying. At least she isn't paying for any of these "games".

#2 Posted by believer258 (12705 posts) -

It's her time, let her do what the fuck she wants. It's like if she were to tell you that Fallout 3 or Bioshock or Civilization or Rapelay or whatever you play is a waste of time.

Besides, any game can be broken down into "do this in order to do this". You shoot guys in FPS games in order to move on so that you can shoot more guys. You find stuff in the Legend of Zelda so that you can find more stuff. You go through a dungeon in Diablo so that you can get better gear in order to go through a higher level dungeon.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19816 posts) -

Blog?

#4 Edited by johnbakosh (116 posts) -

@believer258 said:

It's her time, let her do what the fuck she wants.

yep

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4745 posts) -

@believer258 said:

It's her time, let her do what the fuck she wants. It's like if she were to tell you that Fallout 3 or Bioshock or Civilization or Rapelay or whatever you play is a waste of time.

Besides, any game can be broken down into "do this in order to do this". You shoot guys in FPS games in order to move on so that you can shoot more guys. You find stuff in the Legend of Zelda so that you can find more stuff. You go through a dungeon in Diablo so that you can get better gear in order to go through a higher level dungeon.

Exactly. If she enjoys those games there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe she has no interest in more complex games and trying to force it upon her will do more harm then good.

#6 Edited by TheManiacsGnome (288 posts) -

My lady friend has recently been enjoying LA Noire a unreasonable amount, and has a pretty irrational dislike of mobile phone games, Facebook games and random junk like that. My point? people like what they like and telling people they shouldn't like something because of how you feel about something will never succeed.

#7 Posted by NegativeCero (3084 posts) -

@johnbakosh said:

@believer258 said:

yep

Agreed. It's not especially important whether or not she games anyway. But since it does to you, you should be happy she chooses to play something. Maybe take the time and become interested in what she's playing and join in once in a while.

#8 Posted by Quarters (2095 posts) -

Let her play what she wants, yo.

#9 Posted by DeeGee (2172 posts) -

Don't be such a snob about games. If she enjoys it, that's fine.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (10003 posts) -

Ugh.

#11 Posted by kmdrkul (3499 posts) -

Grow the fuck up and stop being a busy body.

#12 Posted by pyromagnestir (4382 posts) -

Smack her around a bit. Teach her who's boss. This is what you get for playing Farmville woman! You did this to yourself!

@johnbakosh said:

@believer258 said:

yep

or you could do this.

#13 Posted by myketuna (1782 posts) -

I think lightly teasing her about it (as I'm sure she would tease you about playing some game you like for a crazy amount of time) is fine, but don't try to force her into not playing shit she likes. My friends listen to what I think is shitty music, but it doesn't annoy me and I don't tell them "Stop listening to that GARBAGE. You're being kind of dumb." I just let them enjoy their music.

People like different shit. Crazy, right?

#14 Posted by Hizang (9360 posts) -

People like different things, I mean there are some people out there that think Halo is the best game ever made.

#15 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5148 posts) -

@johnbakosh said:

@believer258 said:

yep

#16 Posted by TeflonBilly (4742 posts) -

YOU GOTTA DUMP HER!

#17 Posted by CastroCasper (1395 posts) -

I play tiny tower which is pretty much a timer counting down to a timer. Let her have some fun man, and be gald she is interested in games at all. I am sure there are some console or computer games that have a similar style of that type of gameplay, but then you guys can play together, and it doesnt take 24 hours.

#18 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1818 posts) -

Don't be a jerk, man. You'll screw up a good thing.

#19 Posted by burnin_squirrrl (60 posts) -

Duder, just be happy she's into games. My girlfriend could give a shit less about them.

#20 Posted by theoldhouse (437 posts) -

Dude how about you dump her so she can date someone who doesn't act like a douchebag. If she enjoys them then you shouldn't be telling her to stop.

#21 Edited by Devil240Z (3870 posts) -

WOW! this is alot more negative that I expected. I was only being like 2% serious by the way. I could really care less I am mostly tying to explore the differences in perception on what a video game is.

My topics are meant to promote general discussion I use examples from my life to give them weight. THIS TOPIC ISN'T ACTUALLY ABOUT ME ITS ABOUT EVERYONE.

@theoldhouse: @SpunkyHePanda: @kmdrkul: @JasonR86: @DeeGee: @believer258: Read above.

#22 Posted by Example1013 (4855 posts) -

You should drop her immediately and find a REAL gamer girlfriend who plays on REAL game systems. And by that I mean PC. Yes, there is a master race, and if you're not careful, your children won't be a part of it.

#23 Posted by NMC2008 (1248 posts) -

You can't joke about the subject of the female gender bro, that subject is serious business, as you can see. :P

#24 Posted by roninenix (141 posts) -

Be happy she's wasting time on those games and not other men.

#25 Posted by laserbolts (5444 posts) -

You need someone more hardcore.

#26 Posted by Devil240Z (3870 posts) -

Ugh. Why do people always to over react to my light hearted topics.

#27 Posted by Kombat (2290 posts) -

Echoing the thoughts of others in this thread, it is absolutely her time to do with as she pleases. If those games are what she enjoys then let her enjoy them. I, on the other hand, will be replaying Borderlands with the girl I am seeing in preparation for the sequel.

#28 Posted by Devil240Z (3870 posts) -

@Kombat said:

Echoing the thoughts of others in this thread, it is absolutely her time to do with as she pleases. If those games are what she enjoys then let her enjoy them. I, on the other hand, will be replaying Borderlands with the girl I am seeing in preparation for the sequel.

damnit read my other posts.

#29 Posted by myketuna (1782 posts) -

Well, I would say that all of those things she plays are in fact video games. I think they're shitty video games, but games nonetheless. To go back to my music analogy, as much as I would love to say Nicki Minaj isn't music, she is. I just don't like her at all.

#30 Posted by JasonR86 (10003 posts) -

@Devil240Z said:

@theoldhouse: @SpunkyHePanda: @kmdrkul: @JasonR86: @DeeGee: @believer258: Read above.

Uh-huh.

#31 Posted by Devil240Z (3870 posts) -

@myketuna said:

Well, I would say that all of those things she plays are in fact video games. I think they're shitty video games, but games nonetheless. To go back to my music analogy, as much as I would love to say Nicki Minaj isn't music, she is. I just don't like her at all.

Finally something thats a bit more on topic.

#32 Posted by Metzo_Paino (350 posts) -

Play the You Don't Know Jack Facebook game together.

#33 Posted by Devil240Z (3870 posts) -

@Metzo_Paino said:

Play the You Don't Know Jack Facebook game together.

This topic isn't actually about my life.

#34 Edited by Cloudenvy (5874 posts) -

For as much as you say that this thread was meant to be lighthearted, you sure didn't convey that in your opening post very well.

#35 Posted by xdaknightx69 (480 posts) -

@theoldhouse said:

Dude how about you dump her so she can date someone who doesn't act like a douchebag. If she enjoys them then you shouldn't be telling her to stop.

#36 Edited by M_Shini (561 posts) -

You probably should let it go.

When i was small i used to collect Cards (i'm sure allot of us did) and my parents always said it was a waste of money, paying for stupid pieces of printed card, but i ended up getting so much enjoyment out of collecting them that the value of time/money spent i was actually getting something positive out of it.

The value is not with what the content itself is, its in how we perceive it's value within us.

And be nice peeps! :D

#37 Posted by Popskinz (504 posts) -

I'm pretty sure your girlfriend is inclined to treat the medium however she likes.

#38 Posted by felakuti4life (153 posts) -

ease up man. You don't want someone to break up with you because you're an asshole about games. The key to a healthy longterm relationship is knowing what is worth making an issue and what is mere difference in taste.

#39 Posted by felakuti4life (153 posts) -

@Example1013 said:

You should drop her immediately and find a REAL gamer girlfriend who plays on REAL game systems. And by that I mean PC. Yes, there is a master race, and if you're not careful, your children won't be a part of it.

hilarious

#40 Posted by Fattony12000 (7929 posts) -
#41 Posted by AlexW00d (6714 posts) -

Christ Giant Bomb lighten up a little bit.

#42 Posted by AngelN7 (2999 posts) -

I love when people make up stories about their girlfriends ... or when they make up girlfriends.

#43 Posted by JasonR86 (10003 posts) -

I like how this post...

@AlexW00d said:

...is directly below this post;

@Fattony12000 said:

#44 Posted by AlexW00d (6714 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I like how this post...

@AlexW00d said:

...is directly below this post;

@Fattony12000 said:

I am not sure what that means AND I DON'T WANT TO BE SURE.

#45 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5148 posts) -

Lighthearted huh? It sure doesn't sounded like that.

#46 Posted by theoldhouse (437 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

Man I could never date a girl with different coloured hair and beard. CREEPY

#47 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6420 posts) -

@kmdrkul said:

Grow the fuck up and stop being a busy body.

I've noticed you have used the phrase "busy body" once or twice before. What does it mean?

#48 Posted by mandude (2670 posts) -

My only advice to you my friend is to fake your own death.

#49 Posted by Rohok (579 posts) -

Never date a gamer girl, period.

#50 Posted by Capum15 (5106 posts) -
@mandude said:

My only advice to you my friend is to fake your own death.