Gamers With Jobs 1994 podcast

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I think this is the second "let's pretend it's 199X" podcast from Gamers With Jobs and as goofy as they are I have to say I really loved this one.

Some games they discuss:

There's also an interview with the developer of Myst, again, as if it's 1994.

Great podcast if you were around in the mid 90s or want to hear talk about a lot of classics as if they were new / listening to a 1994 Game of The Year Podcast. Lots of talk about sound cards, $3000 dollar PCs, 3DO, DWANGO, dawn of 3D graphics and more.

Maxx2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Such a great episode. Almost made me buy Master of Magic again on GoG.com as I remember it being such an amazing game. If only the episode would have been longer, getting more in depth with x-com and others.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah this was an excellent episode. I loved their 1998 episode as well. For some reason it's making me want to go back and play Ultima VII, even though they talked about Ultima VIII being garbare.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahhhhh Doom II & DKC. Now those bring back the memories.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Looking over that list of games it seems they've gone back too far in their time travel machine for me to have any touchstones. In 1994 I was 6 years old and playing solitaire and a golf game on some old black and orange monochrome PC from the 80s.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bmccann42

Does the GOG version of Master of Magic work on Mac?

Edit - dang, never mind. Guess I will have to figure something out.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Looking over that list of games it seems they've gone back too far in their time travel machine for me to have any touchstones. In 1994 I was 6 years old and playing solitaire and a golf game on some old black and orange monochrome PC from the 80s.

I wonder if you played the same golf game I played. That was my first foray into games. That golf game was pretty fun.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mosespippy

@ben_h: Did it have a level editor with a bunch of premade bunkers, greens, hills and obstacles including dinosaurs that you could place around the course?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy said:

I was 6 in 94 but I was lucky enough to play a lot of these games growing up, and then went back to a lot of them in the last 5 years or so as many became available on Steam or GOG. Was cool to hear talk about it as though they were new, acted-out as it may have been. Marathon especially is very clearly burned into my memory as just an amazing sci-fi experience. I keep hoping there is some Marathon tie-in as part of Destiny.

Virtual PC drive?

@maxx2029 said:

Such a great episode. Almost made me buy Master of Magic again on GoG.com as I remember it being such an amazing game. If only the episode would have been longer, getting more in depth with x-com and others.

Yep I think I am going to buy MoM. Wonder if X-Com runs on Mac at all... need a game for this laptop. I could listen to people talk about X-com all day.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: My childhood was deprived of many cultural touchstones. My parents were in a Christian cult. Things like watching television on a Saturday was a sin. We didn't have Christmas or Easter, so large priced gifts like consoles never happened in my family. I didn't see a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie until I was in high school. I didn't really get into gaming until grade eight and I didn't get my first console until I bought a PS2 with my own money in 2002. Hell, I bought my first Nintendo system last month. Now I'll be able to play my first Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc, but I've still got a huge blind spot for the touchstones of my generation's youth.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bmccann42 said:

I don't understand how someone into videogames has a Mac that doesn't dualboot Windows as well.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

First of all: what the fuck? Only a 10 episode backlog? Stingy motherfuckers...

Second: how often do they do this?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: My childhood was deprived of many cultural touchstones. My parents were in a Christian cult. Things like watching television on a Saturday was a sin. We didn't have Christmas or Easter, so large priced gifts like consoles never happened in my family. I didn't see a Star Wars or Indiana Jones movie until I was in high school. I didn't really get into gaming until grade eight and I didn't get my first console until I bought a PS2 with my own money in 2002. Hell, I bought my first Nintendo system last month. Now I'll be able to play my first Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc, but I've still got a huge blind spot for the touchstones of my generation's youth.

jeeeeez dude. Hard times. I mean, I was "deprived" (saved) of television growing up but you have me beat. I had very few games growing up but just went buckwild as soon as I was 16 and had cash money to burn.

It's amazing you get to play those Nintendo classics for the first time. Hopefully you enjoy them. When I played the original X-com a few years ago I was afraid I wouldn't have the nostalgia for it (or whatever, you know what I mean) since I never played it in 1994 and had at that point barely every played any classic CRPGs or turn-based games. But yeah, loved it.

Did you get a Wii? Wii U? Something else?

First: Hahaha. Yeah not sure what's up with the feed. If you go to the website they have way more episodes available there.

Second: I think this is only the second time. The first was the 1998 podcast.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: Just never got around to installing it - I tend to do more console gaming, and have put off buying a gaming PC as my fiancee would probably kill me.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: I bought a 3DS XL. I was thinking about getting one because of Persona Q. I went to go look around for a 3DS during E3 and could not find one. All they had everywhere were 3DS XLs and 2DSes. I didn't want to spend too much because of student loans so I didn't want the XL, but Best Buy had the XL on sale for the price of the standard 3DS during E3, so I managed to get one with a couple hours to spare.

I'm looking at the eshop and see seven different Zelda titles to choose from, and potentially two more I could play if I can find the DS carts. Any thoughts on which one should be my first?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ch3burashka said:

First: Hahaha. Yeah not sure what's up with the feed. If you go to the website they have way more episodes available there.

I would like to make my point perfectly clear, because this has been a severe annoyance in the past.

I am perfectly aware all podcasts have a catalog of episodes on their main website. That's not the issue. What is the issue is that the reason I have a podcast service (iTunes, Zune, BeyondPod, etc) is so that I don't have to go through the mind-numbing process of scouring the catalog for oldies. This is precisely the reason RSS feeds were created, to alleviate that problem. Of all the podcasts I've listened to, a handful have ever kept a complete feed from the very beginning, Giant Bomb being one of them. It has always confused me - why doesn't everyone do it? Is it an issue of bandwidth? If so, why was a scrappy start up (Giant Bomb circa 2010) hosting everything and IGN/Gamespot/etc not doing so?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@geraltitude said:

@ch3burashka said:

I would like to make my point perfectly clear, because this has been a severe annoyance in the past.

I am perfectly aware all podcasts have a catalog of episodes on their main website. That's not the issue. What is the issue is that the reason I have a podcast service (iTunes, Zune, BeyondPod, etc) is so that I don't have to go through the mind-numbing process of scouring the catalog for oldies. This is precisely the reason RSS feeds were created, to alleviate that problem. Of all the podcasts I've listened to, a handful have ever kept a complete feed from the very beginning, Giant Bomb being one of them. It has always confused me - why doesn't everyone do it? Is it an issue of bandwidth? If so, why was a scrappy start up (Giant Bomb circa 2010) hosting everything and IGN/Gamespot/etc not doing so?

I assume it's just bandwitdh... I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about going to the website lol, dunno if the rant is aimed at me or just the world in general, but I share your feelings (though not as intensely) and have definitely noted that GB is among the only podcasts with a complete archive.

To be fair, bandwidth is a real issue, and for many podcasts (ign, whoever) I don't really think their old episodes get as much listens as GBs old episodes, so I guess they just think it's not worth it, as small an effort as it may be.