• 0 results
#1 Posted by JIT3893 (63 posts) -

I'm a member at both sites and spend about the same amount of time on both. GameSpot for the blanket coverage of all things gaming related, and GiantBomb for the games I care about and the amazing staff and no BS reviewing. To be honest I'd spend more time at GB but I run out of content there, they have a small crew so it's pretty easy to read and watch everything they put out daily. But that's how I'd like it to stay, cause it's a lot like old GameSpot the days with Greg Kasavin, Giancarlo Varanini (before he left) Jeff Gerstmann, Andrew Park (I think he's kind of newer, but I love his reviews,) and all the others that I'm forgetting. Those that've been reading the site for a while know what I'm getting at, it seemed like more of a community back then. You saw more pranks and funny behind the scenes videos, and just content that was designed to amuse you. Now it seems like they've put on that "video games are serious business" tone and lost a lot of what I liked about the site....to the point where I just come here for the info. So I'm using both sites to satisfy my different needs...GameSpot for gaming information, and GiantBomb for the gaming community and character that got me hooked on video game sites.

Anyone else a member of both sites and have any thoughts on why they use one or the other/both?

Btw, I did not copy it from Gamespot's OT :P
#2 Edited by infamous021 (122 posts) -

Nah back then the 4 dudes were alot more limited in what they could I do think (stupid Cnet). I wish Whiskey would hire more people for sites like Giantbomb, Tested, and Screened though.

#3 Posted by one_2nd (2359 posts) -

No.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Never used Gamespot, and never plan to use it.

#5 Posted by DillonWerner (1521 posts) -
@one_2nd said:
" No. "
#6 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Dude, no.

#7 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -

Yeah, I think more recently the content here isn't as 'fun' shall we say? That doesn't make it worse though. The thing I don't like though is 90% of the news is from new Brad and it really, really seems out of place. I remember Jeff saying before that they aren't going to just post everything and anything like every other gaming site, but more things they think we should check out and play.  

I don't think new Brad(sorry forgot his surname) got the memo.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (34618 posts) -
@one_2nd said:
" No. "

#9 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

You can't compare a games website, like Gamespot, to a games blog, like GiantBomb.

#10 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

Nah. Giantbomb is the only site that makes me feel all tingly inside.

#11 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2353 posts) -

no

#12 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -
@infamous021 said:
" Nah back then the 4 dudes were alot more limited in what they could I do think (stupid Cnet). I wish Whiskey would hire more people for sites like Giantbomb, Tested, and Screened though. "
Dude, yes.
#13 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" You can't compare a games website, like Gamespot, to a games blog, like GiantBomb. "
I'm pretty sure they're basically the same thing, so comparisons are valid. :)
#14 Posted by SpiralStairs (1020 posts) -

Both are pretty boring compared to my favorite forum, but who gives a fuck.

There are so many people posting here and in GS that it's easy to forget who makes good posts. 

I used to have a lot of fun on GS though.

#15 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

You mean GS got boring when the 4 left? no way *shocked face*

#16 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Normally I'd be concerned that a thread like this would turn into spam, but this is just way too boring. It'll die off soon.

#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (13975 posts) -

I'm a member of both sites but after experiencing the content and the community of Giant Bomb I just didn't want to go back to Gamespot, for me just about everything on Gamespot pales in comparison to what Giant Bomb has to offer. Even when I have plenty of free time on my hands I do still find it rather hard to run out of content on Giant Bomb, I can burn through all the videos, reviews and podcasts pretty quickly but there's topics on the forums to post in and there's always the opportunity to add more blogs, reviews and wiki content to the site.

#18 Posted by RTSlord (1195 posts) -
@Lemoncookie01 said:
" You mean GS got boring when the 4 left? no way *shocked face* "
#19 Posted by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

#20 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4874 posts) -

No.

#21 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -
@one_2nd said:
" No. "
@BigBoss1911 said:
" no "
@zyn said:
" Dude, no. "
#22 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" I don't think new Brad(sorry forgot his surname) got the memo. "
Yeah, because clearly Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny don't realize what he's doing or, for that matter, tell him to do it...
#23 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

Nope.

#24 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@FireBurger said:
" @Baillie said:
" I don't think new Brad(sorry forgot his surname) got the memo. "
Yeah, because clearly Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny don't realize what he's doing or, for that matter, tell him to do it... "
Sarcasm isn't popular in your area? :P
#25 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

I'm banned from Gamespot. And for the most stupid reasons... I1m never going back.

#26 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

GS has the Madden NFL 11 Launch Center. I like sports games, that's cool. Giant Bomb has news now, which I don't mind.

I want more.

Giant Bomb should do more of this. I'm a sports video game fan, but this shit was awesome, parody at its best.

#27 Posted by RobotHamster (4156 posts) -

@one_2nd said:

" No. "

@zyn said:

" Dude, no. "

@BigBoss1911 said:

" no "

@SJSchmidt93 said:

" No. "

@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" Nope. "
Fuck.
No.
#28 Edited by Powderwombat (43 posts) -

Gamespot in the period when Greg Kasavin was the Editor in Chief was the best gaming site I've ever visited, I mean you had great editors like Kasavin, Gerstmann, Alex Navarro, Ryan, Brad etc and Rich Gallup was the best host the site has ever known. I have gone to check it out a few times since the unpleasantness and I can tell you the site is completely unappealling to me and On The Spot now is lolbad....and I mean.....BAAAD. Giant Bomb is good but you can't deny the fact that the old line-up at Gamespot was a lot better.

#29 Posted by LiquidPrince (15609 posts) -

Never. I'm not even just joking around. Everything that was good about Gamespot left when Jeff left. Because when Jeff left, Vinny, Ryan and Brad followed. Alex Navarro was gone as well, and so was Rich Gallup. The only person left that had some personality was Kevin Van Ord, and I haven't seen him in a while. All the greatest most entertaining people currently work at Whiskey Media, or are separate entities, like Rich.

#30 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

No, because the personalities account for so much for me, so when most of the staff I liked started leaving in droves I lost interest.  I was pretty active on a specific Union board (one that Jeff was a part of for a brief while, Candid Collectors Union) for a good amount of time, but eventually I lost interest in posting there and that basically severed my last tie to GameSpot.

It's kinda similar to the mass layoffs that happened at 1UP last year when Ziff Davis was bought by UGO.  That pretty much killed every podcast I was interested in except the Bombcast, which is now all I listen to.

#31 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1123 posts) -

#32 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

haha, sorry OP, but you probably weren't going to get many people actually reading your topic in the first place, and people just going

"WHAT GAMESTOP > GIANTBOMB, NEVER NO NO NO"

for that, I've never really used any other gaming site besides giantbomb, so...

#33 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

<>

#34 Posted by Allprox (533 posts) -

I can't understand how you feel Gamespot is the place to go for information on current ongoings in the gaming scene. I feel GiantBomb does an adequate job of keeping me up with everything I need to know and if I need that little bit more info I just flick through stories on Joystiq or Destructoid. I have completely eliminated any reason to return to Gamespot and I am immensely glad that I have.

#35 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I stopped using my account over there in late '08 or early '09. The only time I ever visit GameSpot anymore is to see their video reviews.  

GameSpot is long dead. 

#36 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

No

#37 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

No.

#38 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

NO!

#39 Edited by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

I go there for their reviews often, but never for the community and rarely for news. The content on Giant Bomb has started to become dry. Brad Nicholson posts most of it and the majority of his news posts are either rumors or a few sentences with a big picture in the middle. 

At least the mods on Giant Bomb aren't retarded like the Gamespot/GameFAQs mods.

#40 Posted by GreggD (4444 posts) -

I keep my blog and union over there. But no, Giantbomb is definitely better.

#41 Posted by JIT3893 (63 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" haha, sorry OP, but you probably weren't going to get many people actually reading your topic in the first place, and people just going  "WHAT GAMESTOP > GIANTBOMB, NEVER NO NO NO"  for that, I've never really used any other gaming site besides giantbomb, so... "
Hey, no problem, as I said, its copied from the gamespot board, but it seems like a nice welcome to see how GiantBomb's OT are compared to Gamespots OT
#42 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -

Even though other sites like Gamespot, IGN, Kotaku, etc. all provide more gaming news and more in-depth coverage in general, I almost never find myself visiting those sites. I love reading about all those news stories, or interviews with designers of sports games that GB would just never have. There's just something that keeps me satisfied here though. Occasionally I'll venture to another site and realize all the sports gaming content or whatever else I've been missing. But then I will check it out for a minute and come running back to Giant Bomb. 

They must put something in the water over here.

#43 Posted by damnboyadvance (4054 posts) -

No. How are you going to compare a site like that to one that hasn't even been around for 3 years?

#44 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

#45 Posted by Arkasai (701 posts) -

I was thinking of posting this here as well but thought better of it.  Mostly due to the concerns that people brought up a lot over at GS, down times on these forums are dooooown.  

#46 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

I pretty much use GameSpot exclusively as a means of checking out the stuff they have from before '08. A few hours ago I was reading through some old reviews for games on there. It's fine for that. I've got to say, though, that I just can't get into any of the newer crew of people. Back when it was the Giant Bomb and (some) Whiskey guys, along with Greg and Rich, that place was awesome. I still have all of the HotSpots up to the "GameSpot Speaks" episode in iTunes, as well as many an episode of ONNNNNNNN THE SPOTTTTTTTT, TTV, the Button Mashing pilot, some Time Trotters stuff, as well as the Electric Showdown documentary on my computer, just a few mouse clicks away.

I kind of miss those days, but Giant Bomb has become something quite wonderful, and I've been coming here since well before it turned into a for-real website.

#47 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

I used to watch on the spot because Jeff was hella funny. Then he left and I stopped caring. then one day I found out he was doing a thing with a Mr Ryan Davis and I shit my pants!! Then I shit my pants again when I heard vinny caravella (of hotspot fame) joined them!! I forgot my gamespot login it's been so long.

#48 Posted by semicolon1twlev2 (894 posts) -

This place used to be great...  Now the forums are pretty mediocre.

#49 Posted by Linkin10362 (602 posts) -

Yeah, I left Gamespot forever. I still go to Gamefaqs if I want to use the forums, but I am mostly on here now.

So, no.

#50 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

no, i use to be a memeber until i joined gaintbomb. i'm banned there so i can't go there anymore. they are scricted there for some reason. they can be touchy on some subjects. gaintbomb the mods dont' really care because this site is a small community full of great people.