Gaming...

Khalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Khalen

Recently I've made a list of games I actually finished (and in what difficulty mode). The list grows everyday. But I do notice the games have become shorter and easier over time. Back in the days I struggled with some games and had to redo a part over 40 times to actually make it. Nowadays you can almost save around every corner and redo the part if it fails or doesn't meet your standards. Makes a game way too easy and people tend to rush through instead of enjoying it (actually feeling the game). I still remember Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Doom as awesome games. Played those till I couldn't anymore or something new really caught my eye. Also the "editing" seems to be on a low. Back in the days I made so many Doom levels but nowadays it all seems so "much" you gotta do to actually make something. Why can't it be more like Little Big Adventure. Not a single code, just ingame creation. Ahhh the good old days...

Khalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Khalen

Recently I've made a list of games I actually finished (and in what difficulty mode). The list grows everyday. But I do notice the games have become shorter and easier over time. Back in the days I struggled with some games and had to redo a part over 40 times to actually make it. Nowadays you can almost save around every corner and redo the part if it fails or doesn't meet your standards. Makes a game way too easy and people tend to rush through instead of enjoying it (actually feeling the game). I still remember Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Doom as awesome games. Played those till I couldn't anymore or something new really caught my eye. Also the "editing" seems to be on a low. Back in the days I made so many Doom levels but nowadays it all seems so "much" you gotta do to actually make something. Why can't it be more like Little Big Adventure. Not a single code, just ingame creation. Ahhh the good old days...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond
@Khalen: A dude made a thread similar to this just yesterday.  But yea it does seem games are easier these days.  I can understand the logic, game developers want players to see the whole game and so do gamers.  I can appreciate that sometimes too.

Even something like Fallout and Doom weren't so bad because you could play on really easy settings, save anywhere, or even use cheat codes.  Stuff like Ninja Gaiden 2 or games with limited continues and lives were REALLY brutal (mostly 8-bit and 16-bit console games).

The modding and level making scene also seems to be way less these days too, or maybe it's just stretched across more games.  Used to be there were definitive games for modding, Quake, Quake 3, UT3...  Now you have people modding Little Big Planet and the Far Cry console games.  You have people making artworks in Crysis and levels in UT3.  A lot of people making total conversion mods and a lot of the mod scene seems to have converted into making full on indie games as well.  Indie games are probably the new hotness really.