jdevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

Edited By jdevl

Burnout Paradise: Big Surf Island
Oh, Burnout. Will you ever stop being fun? I ended up buying the new Big Surf Island DLC. I Did a few of the ridiculous jumps and decided I needed to go back to the mainland to unlock the rest of the cars and finish up my license. Nothing against Big Surf Island, but I don't feel like I deserve the vacation before I fully complete the main game. Gotta figure out how in the hell I'm going to get the online achievements though, need to remind a few friends just how unbelievable it is that this game is $19.99. I'd play full price for it again. It's pretty much flawless.

Red Faction: Guerrilla
The debate I've been having all week between picking up Prototype or Red Faction was finally settled once reviews started rolling in for Prototype.  I underestimated just how open world Red Faction was going to be, so I'm still adjusting and hoping for more mission variety than what I've run across so far. I'm spending way too much time collecting scrap to build up to better weapons, but those new weapons look like they'll open up some appealing gameplay options. Rocket launchers may compliment this physics engine quite nicely. The one solid part of the open world gameplay that I didn't count on though, is that the vehicles are a lot of fun to use. I expected only shooting and explosions on foot, so being able to trigger explosions as I drive away is a welcome bonus. Sorry Prototype, although I do appreciate the fact that you can elbow drop a tank it just goes to show that realistic building explosions trump mindless superpowers and gore.

Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
Insomnia got the best of me recently, so I passed the time with Pictobits. The only DSiWare game worth paying for at the moment (after you use your free points on WarioWare and Bird & Beans). Unlocked a few more stages and beat my first dark stage. The difficult ramps up pretty quickly, but it definitely teases you to replay each level one more time to try and beat it. I learn a few new tricks each session it seems. I also love the fact that Bowser is my nemesis in that game. Seems fitting.

Plants vs Zombies
I finally gave into Peggle, so I thought PopCap Games deserved the benefit of the doubt on their latest game. I'm not one for tower defense games, but it seems like Plants vs Zombies simplified the formula enough that it isn't as stressful as the others that I've tried. The sense of humor definitely got me through the initial levels, but the variety of zombies is what's carrying me into the later levels. Well worth the $10.

jdevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#1  Edited By jdevl

Burnout Paradise: Big Surf Island
Oh, Burnout. Will you ever stop being fun? I ended up buying the new Big Surf Island DLC. I Did a few of the ridiculous jumps and decided I needed to go back to the mainland to unlock the rest of the cars and finish up my license. Nothing against Big Surf Island, but I don't feel like I deserve the vacation before I fully complete the main game. Gotta figure out how in the hell I'm going to get the online achievements though, need to remind a few friends just how unbelievable it is that this game is $19.99. I'd play full price for it again. It's pretty much flawless.

Red Faction: Guerrilla
The debate I've been having all week between picking up Prototype or Red Faction was finally settled once reviews started rolling in for Prototype.  I underestimated just how open world Red Faction was going to be, so I'm still adjusting and hoping for more mission variety than what I've run across so far. I'm spending way too much time collecting scrap to build up to better weapons, but those new weapons look like they'll open up some appealing gameplay options. Rocket launchers may compliment this physics engine quite nicely. The one solid part of the open world gameplay that I didn't count on though, is that the vehicles are a lot of fun to use. I expected only shooting and explosions on foot, so being able to trigger explosions as I drive away is a welcome bonus. Sorry Prototype, although I do appreciate the fact that you can elbow drop a tank it just goes to show that realistic building explosions trump mindless superpowers and gore.

Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
Insomnia got the best of me recently, so I passed the time with Pictobits. The only DSiWare game worth paying for at the moment (after you use your free points on WarioWare and Bird & Beans). Unlocked a few more stages and beat my first dark stage. The difficult ramps up pretty quickly, but it definitely teases you to replay each level one more time to try and beat it. I learn a few new tricks each session it seems. I also love the fact that Bowser is my nemesis in that game. Seems fitting.

Plants vs Zombies
I finally gave into Peggle, so I thought PopCap Games deserved the benefit of the doubt on their latest game. I'm not one for tower defense games, but it seems like Plants vs Zombies simplified the formula enough that it isn't as stressful as the others that I've tried. The sense of humor definitely got me through the initial levels, but the variety of zombies is what's carrying me into the later levels. Well worth the $10.