#1 Posted by Legion_ (1496 posts) -

No doubt many of you have heard about the brutal gang rape of a indian woman that ended in her tragic demise, just prior to the new year. This weekend, there has been two more gang rapings, one of which were extremely grusome. The woman was raped, killed and hung half naked by a tree. Adding insult to injrury, this happened while the 32 year old woman was with her son.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/woman-gangraped-murdered/1058886/

This is so fucking horrific. One might say that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, but I don't fucking care. To stoop so low... Every rapist out there should be slowly tortured, to the point where they would want to die, at which point they should be shot in the neck. I have no sympathy for cowards like that. If we can't even honor our women, then what the hell kind of men are we?

Come on guys, let's rise up, and do our best to never let something like this happen to anyone. Every man has a code, and every true man would never let something like this happen. It's our fucking duty.

#2 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

What an unfortunate typo, duder.

#3 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5855 posts) -

oh god D:

this is just brutal. What kind of scum would do something like that D:

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Shoot all the bad guys please.

#5 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

There's been quite a rise in brutal rapes out there lately. Their statistics are pretty staggering. Hopefully they can get it under control.

#6 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

When I saw that headline on Reddit, I literally said "Again!?" out loud.

#7 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4870 posts) -

Jesus Christ.

Bunch of fucking savages.

#8 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1736 posts) -

ok, disclaimer: I think raping a woman is among the most cruel and evil thing a man can do and should be punished with all the force of the law, but:

especially in india it seems to be a homemade problem. In their culture girls are not worth much which leads to many parents aborting female children. Over time that lead to a significant imbalance of males/females in the indian population. Especially in big citys it is very hard for a man to find a female to have a relationship with which leads to anger and frustration ... and that obviously leads to the unusually high ammount of rape-crimes.

#9 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3973 posts) -

Wow. Awful.

@HaltIamReptar said:

What an unfortunate typo, duder.

Can someone explain to me why this forum doesn't allow you to edit a thread title?

#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

That is profoundly unfortunate. As is every case of that crime.

#11 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

So awful. Those guys need to be found and dealt with. Either locked up for life or death. Not sure which would be worse if you're talking about jail in India.

#12 Posted by mrfluke (5317 posts) -

jesus christ,

#13 Posted by Legion_ (1496 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

So awful. Those guys need to be found and dealt with. Either locked up for life or death. Not sure which would be worse if you're talking about jail in India.

Six men were taken into custody after the second raping. There's some comfort in that, I guess.

#14 Posted by Strife777 (1611 posts) -

What the fuck is up with all the rape?! Not too long after the first one reported from India, I also heard of "The Rape Crew", some football guys from some high school or college in America. Those guys were being protected by everybody around them.

#15 Posted by Slag (4737 posts) -

Absolutely disgusting.

The animals who did this should be removed from society immediately.

#16 Posted by DizzyMedal (400 posts) -

@2HeadedNinja said:

Especially in big citys it is very hard for a man to find a female to have a relationship with which leads to anger and frustration ... and that obviously leads to the unusually high ammount of rape-crimes.

Sorry, but something about this just sounds completely off the mark. I mean, you're essentially saying that it's happening because guys are angry they can't get a girlfriend, when really I think it might have more to do with the first part of your statement being that some may consider women to be basically worthless.

#17 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

A person raping another person is the worst thing anybody can do.

#18 Posted by PandaBear (1379 posts) -

@DizzyMedal said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

Especially in big citys it is very hard for a man to find a female to have a relationship with which leads to anger and frustration ... and that obviously leads to the unusually high ammount of rape-crimes.

Sorry, but something about this just sounds completely off the mark. I mean, you're essentially saying that it's happening because guys are angry they can't get a girlfriend, when really I think it might have more to do with the first part of your statement being that some may consider women to be basically worthless.

Yeah this is bizarre ... is that a justification? Rapists are rarely after sex, they're sociopaths with no regard for any other human being. They don't do it to get off, they do it because of power and control. A normal dude whose had a normal upbringing probably won't become a rapist ... sexually abused kids unfortunately often become abusers themselves, hence why pedophiles need to be eradicated ... (to be fair I know people who have been sexually abused and aren't fucked up, but it does happen).

It's hard to find a relationship in the big cities hey? So that means turn to rape? Fuck me, if that were true I'd say nuke the planet and start again.

#19 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

Well, people are fucking sick. I'll never understand how shit like this happens, regardless of likely cultural causes or whatever.

Also, proofread your shit before hitting submit, man. Not enough people do that around here. I'll also never understand that. You take the time to write the post, but a quick skim-over isn't even considered. No offense, though, if that means anything.

#20 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

damn, I know people in India place lesser importance on women but for cryin out loud.

I didn't even believe that rape bus thing at first, it just seemed too bizarre.

#21 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

We talk a lot about video game sexism and sexism on TV etc a lot. To be clear I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all and I think its important to have those discussions, but there are bigger fish to fry in many places of the world. In india women are essentially second class citizens to varying degrees and despite their stunning modernisation none of these attitudes have changed or been addressed. Most of india are probably nice people and most husbands probably treat their wives well, but the problem is that subjugation and heinous crimes against women are tolerated to a large extent. The indian people need to stand up and have no tolerance for this bullshit and start opening jobs for women. I mean, its 2013 this bullshit needs to stop.

#22 Posted by NTM (7522 posts) -

It seems like there are far more negative threads here than positive.

#23 Posted by Humanity (9881 posts) -

Those guys probably all bought that Dead Island collectors edition and were driven mad by it.

#24 Edited by alternate (2719 posts) -

Well I don't live in India and - although I might be stereotyping - I would bet a lot of these slum living dirtbags don't have internet - so I don't know what you expect us to do.

I keep up my part of the bargain by not raping people and, I would like to think, intervening if I heard of anyone I know doing anything like that. Best I can do.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

Aw jeez you guys.

1) the actions of criminals who happen to be men, are not the responsibility of other men. I cannot BELIEVE this passes muster, would you say that it's the responsibility of law abiding blacks to 'make up for' the crimes of murderers, thieves and rapists who happen to be black? Is the actions of women who break the law the 'responsibility' of good women to stop? Of course not, that's fucking ridiculous. I know you've been raised to believe that women are powerless and all things are your responsibility to fix, but that's just not reality.

2) When talking about India in particular, women are not 'second class citizens'. The real unbelievable inequality in India is that between the rich and poor (both of whom include men and women). Everyone knows that crime is not caused by sex or race or genetics; it's caused by socioeconomics and low standards of living. If you actually want to lower the incidence of crime, raise the standard of living. If you raise the standard of what qualifies as crime, all you do is raise the incidence of those crimes. To say second class citizen implies no enfranchisement, no agency; Indian middle class women have the same rights as middle class men, poor Indian women have the same rights as poor Indian men ; which is to say, fuck all.

3) As an aside, the Indian police services are UNBELIEVABLY CORRUPT. To the point where most people won't report a crime because the police will do things like take your passport 'in case we need you as a witness' and then force you to pay to get it back. To have no redress for crimes committed upon you only leads to more victimization.

4) When referring to the original victim whose death kicked this all off, it's worth mentioning that basically no one knows there was a second victim. Someone else who lay dying on the street as passersby ignored them. Now, maybe no one cares about their suffering because they ended up surviving, but more likely no one cares because they're 'just the boyfriend'. I guarantee you no one gives a hot shit about this story if they raped him, maybe if they killed him for being gay... Even then it would only be GLAAD picking it up, and they would get summarily ignored.

5) this is actually a complete aside, but torturing criminals does not make You better. It actually makes you way worse, you don't become a beacon of justice, you just become a bloodthirsty torturer. "Oh but it'll stop crime!" No it won't. Read Michel Foucault, Discipline & Punish, specifically parts of retribution on the body compared to reconstruction of the soul. "Oh but I'll feel better knowing they suffered!" Well congratulations. You're a sadist.

And don't get me wrong, I'm no non-capital punishment hippie; murderers and violent rapists proven beyond a shadow of doubt, I'd give them a single bullet and an unmarked grave. Wouldn't even blink. But if the idea that India needs more protection for women is what's put across, I will categorically disagree. India needs more protection for everyone, and a whole hell of a lot more Justice. Sexism against women isn't the cause of crime and violence in India (in anywhere), it's brutal living conditions and a complete lack of social justice.

#26 Posted by feliciano182 (100 posts) -

Terrible that these things have to happen, I think India is one of the most beautiful, amazing cultures that has ever existed on Earth, for their people to still have to suffer through the consequences of arcaic, inmoral prejudices and hateful ideas is nothing short of horrific.

#27 Posted by Village_Guy (2658 posts) -

Unfortunately this has been going on for a long time in India, and until the recent gang rape that really shook things up, it was fairly easy for the criminals to get away with it too.

Hopefully this will all end with a better India, but these ugly roots have grown deep.

#28 Posted by Dacnomaniac (443 posts) -

Heard about this a while ago. It literally made me sick...