Gary Whitta to write the first standalone Star Wars movie

• 113 results
DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Friend of the site Gary Whitta and director Gareth Edwards, director of this years Godzilla movie, were announced by LucasFilm as the writer and director of the first standalone Star Wars movie, set to release in 2016.

Huge congrats to Gary!

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Wow, that's crazy! Congratulations Gary!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Han Solo whispers "shoot that guy"

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Congrats to Gary! Very pleased to see him ... shooting for the stars...?

The mind boggles as to what this standalone Star Wars movie will entail.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

That's amazing.

Here's the teaser trailer:

Loading Video...

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@flstyle: Maybe it will something like 1313.

Also THIS IS FUCKING CRAZY! Congrats to G. Whitta!

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sort of amazing seeing how far some of the dudes who used to hang around the Whiskey Office have gone. 3 years ago, who would have though Will and Norm would be working with the Mythbusters and Gary Whitta would be on board for a Star Wars film.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is amazing!

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Force is a choice.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RazielCuts

'First standalone Star Wars film' - is this exactly like it sounds? Not to be bogged down by the original trilogy and Han, Luke and Leia? This is great news. Although after After Earth, I'm not too sure about you Gary. We will have to see. Will this be part of the 'Legends' brand now?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garry Whitta? You mean the writer of other masterpieces such as After Earth?

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts: The leaked release schedule implied this would actually be the Boba Fett solo movie, so it'd still be fairly tied down to a "character" from the older films. Since there really isn't anything to Fett the tone and style could really go anywhere though!

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts: They announced three movies to go along with the new trilogy. The plan is a Star Wars movie, every year, for six years. The trilogy will be alternating years, and the standalone's the other years.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By freakin9

Eh... I never really cared for the guy. But good for him. I thought he was just some dude that hung around Tested, didn't know he did this kind of stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I don't want to be that guy but After Earth and Book of Eli were both terrible. Maybe third times a charm?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Justin258

I like Gary Whitta, but good scriptwriter he is not. I watched the Godzilla movie a few days ago and, while you can't judge a director on one movie, it certainly didn't do a whole lot for my opinion of Gareth Edward's moviemaking capabilities.

Consider me a little worried. Also, Star Wars VII in 2015, standalone Star Wars in 2016... is it safe to assume a Star Wars VIII in 2017?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fucking yeah Gary Whitta!

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@believer258: I'm with you, happy for the dude, scared for the movie.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he hasnt written a movie i liked but i also dont care about star wars so whatever.

looking forward to him on the tested podcast so its worth it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

After Earth was not bad because of the writing. It was bad due to the fucking terrible acting from all involved. If the Smith's were not cast for that movie, it could have been decent.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Did he write Godzilla? I'm not sure he had anything to do with it. I know Gareth Edwards directed it, and while I haven't seen Godzilla, his first film - Monsters - is absoultely top quality.Especially when you found out how he made it, and for how little money.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy mother fucker!!!! Thats fucking amazing!!!! And yes so want to someone say in a dialogue "Shoot that guy"

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind After Earth, though I might be a sucker for a father son story. I liked that new(though old now) Lost in Space movie a big part because of the father son stuff, even though it seemed no one else did.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They should try to work Godzilla into it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By nightriff

Not a big fan of his writing, like him as a personality but everything he's written has been mediocre at best.

EDIT: After Earth sucks by all accounts, thought Episode 4 of the Walking Dead was the weakest in the first season and Book of Eli was...ok from what I remember, more so for Gary Oldman always being great in everything.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

@leebmx said:

@believer258: Did he write Godzilla? I'm not sure he had anything to do with it. I know Gareth Edwards directed it, and while I haven't seen Godzilla, his first film - Monsters - is absoultely top quality.Especially when you found out how he made it, and for how little money.

I edited it to clarify that Gareth Edwards directed Godzilla. Gary Whitta, as far as I know, had nothing to do with Godzilla.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx: No but he did write Book of Eli which I thought was great and he wrote one of the episodes of the first season of The Walking Dead game.

I am super happy for Gary, this is crazy.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@bartok said:

I don't want to be that guy but After Earth and Book of Eli were both terrible. Maybe third times a charm?

no, you have a point. they were bad. I don't know the movie making or screen writing business. maybe he doesn't deserve all of the blame. I liked Gary though he was fun in all of his whiskey appearances.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Wow fuckin insane. Good job Whitta.

- Though its still early in pre-production and alot of this could change over time.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope we get a wink-and-nod to Giant Bomb/Ryan in some way. That'd be awesome.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thebunnyhunter

So even less of Gary on This is Only a Test now...great for him though.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By flasaltine

@sterling said:

After Earth was not bad because of the writing. It was bad due to the fucking terrible acting from all involved. If the Smith's were not cast for that movie, it could have been decent.

Well, Will Smith is a fine actor. You might want to blame M Night Shyamalan for not being able to direct them.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Well, Will Smith is a fine actor. You might want to blame M Night Shyamalan for not being able to direct them.

He is, normally. But he sucked balls in that film. And his son was the worst part of that movie. And yeah M. Night is also a big part of it. Whitta can't be blamed for that movie. He didn't even really write it.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm.... ok, I guess. Can't say I'm too excited since the best work he's done is that Walking Dead S1 episode. I like Gary so I wish him the best but... yeah.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

I edited it to clarify that Gareth Edwards directed Godzilla. Gary Whitta, as far as I know, had nothing to do with Godzilla.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a pedant (I did). You should watch Monsters though, I thought it was really good. A alien/sci-fi/monster film which manages to be more about the relationships in the story than creatures or special effects, while still managing lots of tension and amazing effects considering the director literally knocked them up in this bedroom. - He shot the whole film himself on location with the two leads (its almost a two-hander) then went home, edited it and added the effects himself.

What makes it a bit sad is that Monsters showed so much promise but it seems to have lead just to him doing big budget Hollywood summer blockbusters, where originality, innovation and risk taking are not much welcomed. I haven't seen Godzilla, which seems to have got mixed reviews, although I am interested. However the thought of anyone being able to make something of an off-brand Star Wars movie scripted by Gary Whitta seems slim. Kind of a shame.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well hot damn! I'm glad he's been given the opportunity to work on something fresh within the Star Wars universe, can't wait to see what he does.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sterling

@leebmx: Monsters was amazing. I love that film.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By subyman

Was hoping for Milius.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hatking

This is fucking weird. Now I get to tell my friends "I've talked to the guy who wrote that one Star Wars movie directed by the guy who directed Godzilla" and not just "I've talked to the guy who wrote Book of Eli." Who cares if it was just during some dumb Giant Bomb stream or on Twitter or something and about something totally unrelated to movies?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By AMyggen

@sterling: The writing sure didn't help. But it's not really clear if anyone but Will Smith had any creative control over that movie.

Congrats to Gary! Great director on Board too. And now he's never gonna be on Tested ever again :(

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, that's pretty wild, great opportunity for Mr. Whitta. Good luck to him trying to satisfy a million groups all with different expectations and desires. I doubt I'd be up to the job.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#43 jeanluc  Staff

That's so cool. Go Gary!

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd bet Gary constructing that Lego Tie Fighter so well gave him an edge.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Totally fucking bananas. Congrats @gwhitta!

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super fucking excited for Mr. Whitta, what an amazing opportunity. When it comes to worrying about quality, I really enjoyed Book of Eli, and I never saw After Earth, but it really seemed like the kind of movie that really got away from the writer; it seemed like Gary had no control once that script was bought. Also, Gary is a fucking huge Star Wars fan who likes to write kind of silly Sci-Fi, so it seems like a perfect fit.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@sterling: The writing sure didn't help. But it's not really clear if anyone but Will Smith had any creative control over that movie.

Congrats to Gary! Great director on Board too. And now he's never gonna be on Tested ever again :(

I'm sure he'll eventually cameo again. Think of the amazing stories he'll have, especially if he gets to have a creative role in this movie after the initially writing process.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@tourgen said:

@bartok said:

no, you have a point. they were bad. I don't know the movie making or screen writing business. maybe he doesn't deserve all of the blame. I liked Gary though he was fun in all of his whiskey appearances.

Never saw After Earth, but I concur on the rest. Seems like a good guy, and it can be tricky to figure out what's the fault of the writer and what's the fault of the director (or even the editor), but maybe it's not the best track record. Still, major props to him for landing the gig, and while I'm not personally super excited about new Star Wars movies, I'm sure whatever he ends up writing will probably be totally fine.

If he actually does manage to work 'shoot that guy' into the script, well, that would make up for just about anything.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wonder how much of Gary's actual writing makes it into the movie, and the whole sausage making movie process. Has he ever talked about it?

I thought Book of Eli was a great movie, and my mind is still blown from when I found out Whitta wrote it. I hope they let him write an effed up Star Wars movie, but as long as it's out of the hands of George Lucas you can be optimistic.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I haven't seen After Earth but i really don't like Book of Eli. Of course, i don't like Star Wars except for Empire Strikes Back and think most of Abrams films are aggressively mediocre aside from Super 8, so this already isn't the film for me.