• 136 results
#1 Posted by golguin (3843 posts) -

I put gas last week and it was just over $4.00. My mom told me that it was over $4.60 and sure enough I saw several gas stations with that price as I went to get some food a few minutes ago. I don't know how much this means for people who don't regularly commute, but this is insane. I feel like the Israel drone shooting is the excuse this time.

My mom talked to one of the gas people and they said it would be even higher tomorrow so there's that to look forward to.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Glad I'm not in Cali, but it is still expensive as hell, can we blame Obama for this or is it still Bush?

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Nightriff:

What about long-brewing economic trends?

#4 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Good question, I think it still from what Jimmy Carter did, that or China, but they don't care

#5 Posted by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

how about humanity's dogged resistance to alternative/clean/renewable fuels?

can't wait for society to crumble when gas runs out and we regress to 18th century living and cannot access any remaining fossil fuels anymore.

#6 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

That's nearly $1.00 more than what I'm paying over here in the southeastern US, but I guess you can just chalk that up to cost of living differences as well as your location relative to major oil refineries.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Americans always complaining about gas prices when they're FAR more expensive everywhere else.

#8 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@Nightriff: Obama lost the debate and therefore caused the increase in gas prices! My logic is flawless.

@CL60: Hey at least your prices are due to enormous taxes instead of arbitrary bullshit

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

Oil is expensive and we're getting it from people who fucking hate us.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Nightriff: Obama lost the debate and therefore caused the increase in gas prices! My logic is flawless

That's not what he's saying.

@ripelivejam said:

Don't you mean America's resistance? I mean, don't quite a few other countries tax the shit out of gas so nobody uses it?

#11 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Americans always complaining about gas prices when they're FAR more expensive everywhere else.

Is it actually more expensive or just a higher number?

#12 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

@CL60 said:

#13 Edited by believer258 (11637 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

can't wait for society to crumble when gas runs out and we regress to 18th century living and cannot access any remaining fossil fuels anymore.

So how 'bout you go and supply all of us with those cars, eh? Some people can't afford them. In fact, a lot of people can't afford them.

EDIT: Doesn't help that a whole lot of those cars that don't use gasoline are fuck-ugly. Not all of them, but a lot of them are.

#14 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: No, that's what I'm saying.

Alternative energy is a slow moving progression worldwide, though the green party is a pretty significant presence in most European countries. China is ultimately going to be as big of an issue as the US with regards to energy wastefulness, but they'll also be powerful enough to squash everyone in unison if they so desired.

#15 Posted by Droop (1828 posts) -

One litre of gasoline in Denmark is around $2.25, making it around 8.50 a gallon. Jealous? :c

#16 Posted by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

examples? are there countries that rely on hybrid/electric cars solely or public trans/bicycles/etc? just curious, not calling out.

actually i would think alternative fuels at this time would be a luxury only 1st world countries could afford.

#17 Posted by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

@golguin: California has seen a mix of both refinery issues and transmission problems. Recently, a major power outage at one of California's biggest refineries led to a week-long shortage in the state, and that has caused this most recent spike. You should see prices level off, as the refinery is back in full form; it just takes a week or so for the market to feel that.

Also, this is further hampered by California's anti-pollution laws which require a specific mix of gas during the months of April to October. This mix requires a more consistent supply, and right now, the volatile market has led to problems in getting the right amounts for the blend. This means that there is generally lower supply that can go out to pumps than is actually available. So, expect to see further issues until November when prices should return to $4.00 or below if the market doesn't see any more large spikes in costs.

Hang in there. The $4.65 - $5.00 will probably tick up a bit in the next few days, but you'll see relief within the next two weeks. You may still have above $4.00 gas until November, but your area may also see prices come down below that if the market cools down a bit and volatility is less of an issue in the state. California is just facing a particularly rough time at the moment, as the inventory is simply not keeping up. It's an unusual situation, and hopefully they will be better prepared for when any similar issues arise next year.

#18 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Trees only convert about 50% of the co2 into breathable air every year. Eventually we will have to evolve or we will run out of air. Same thing will happen with gas.

#19 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
@Nightriff said:

Glad I'm not in Cali, but it is still expensive as hell, can we blame Obama for this or is it still Bush?

How about the truth?

The Earth's ressources are finite. Especially fossil fuels.
#20 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

You mean Mexico, Canada, and domestic sources? AKA- The places where the United States gets its gasoline.

#21 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@Nightriff said:

You can't blame any president for gas prices as they have relatively nothing to do with them. If you want someone to blame for the high prices, blame the people who buy and trade futures. They are the ones that control the price of gas.

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@ripelivejam said:

So how 'bout you go and supply all of us with those cars, eh? Some people can't afford them. In fact, a lot of people can't afford them.

EDIT: Doesn't help that a whole lot of those cars that don't use gasoline are fuck-ugly. Not all of them, but a lot of them are.

This is hilarious, good show unintentional or not.

#23 Posted by Icemo (642 posts) -

@Droop said:

One litre of gasoline in Denmark is around $2.25, making it around 8.50 a gallon. Jealous? :c

Same thing in Finland, $8.3 a gallon. Stop complaining you lucky bastards!

#24 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@JasonR86 said:

You mean Mexico, Canada, and domestic sources? AKA- The places where the United States gets its gasoline.

...yes.

#25 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

Why do people live in California? Everything seems to suck there.

#26 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

Because the big oil corporation have been cock blocking it for decades. It's not Humanity that as fault but few individuals. Alternative energy will happen it's a mater of when.

#27 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@JasonR86 said:

...yes.

Do we have a feud of some sort with Canada and Mexico?

#28 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@JasonR86 said:

Canada hates the SHIT out of us

#29 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

You can't blame all of humanity for what seems like society's disinterest in alternative energy. Blame the mega corporations/politicians who are terrified of their profits shrinking. I'd say that the majority of people would love it if we found alternative energy sources, its just hard/impossible to research them unless you're rich.

#30 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@WilliamHenry: I was joking and it was more a stab at how people blamed Bush for every single thing and Obama gets away with a lot.

#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@JasonR86 said:

...yes.

Do we have a feud of some sort with Canada and Mexico?

I'm sure I could gin up some sort of a reasoning. Canada has an inferiority complex. Mexico is mad at our growing meth trade.

#32 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@Nightriff: Watch more fox news! Entertainment at its finest.

#33 Edited by TruthTellah (8537 posts) -

It's amazing how quickly this became about some discussion of alternative energy sources, overpopulation, and America-bashing. Come on, guys. This is embarrassing. It's like an Internet thread stereotype.

The specific question was why gas prices suddenly shot up in Southern California. It doesn't have to do with the US getting oil from people that hate them or long term economic trends. It is a temporary supply shortage exacerbated by poor planning, recent market volatility, and local public policy. These factors led to a temporary jump in prices in the state which should ease in the coming weeks.

#34 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@CL60 said:

#35 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: I don't watch News Channels and if I do turn to them I try to balance between CNN and Fox, get a taste of the extremes

#36 Posted by believer258 (11637 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@believer258 said:

@ripelivejam said:

So disprove me then. Show me that a person in the lower working class could get a hold of a good electric car. Someone that makes, say, $35,000 - $40,000 a year.

#37 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

Not sure if there is a first world country that pays less for gas than America so your tears will be wasted on the international community.

#38 Posted by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@believer258 said:

@ripelivejam said:

it's cool for humanity to blindly live on in ignorance of its own plight, its own selfish devouring of resources, and its own rampant overpopulation. yeah it's expensive, but it's a matter of maintaining our current society and way of living or having it come crashing down. we need to set in place the infrastructure to allow these changes to start happening. yeah it won't happen overnight, it probably will never happen, but we have to try for the sake of our species.

overpopulation sickens me the most. why are so many people so eager to bring more lives into an already troubled world like this? we should know better.

#39 Posted by Somnus (81 posts) -

In Finland, where i live, one gallon of gas in dollars costs almost 9 dollars.

#40 Posted by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

It's amazing how quickly this became about some discussion of alternative energy sources and America-bashing. Come on, guys.

The specific question was why gas prices suddenly shot up in Southern California. It doesn't have to do with the US getting oil from people that hate them or long term economic trends. It is a temporary supply shortage exacerbated by poor planning, recent market volatility, and local public policy. These factors led to a temporary jump in prices in the state which should ease in the coming weeks.

yes cause we will always have fossil fuels, forever, until the end of time, with no consequences...

#41 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@Nightriff: Naw, CNN is semi-balanced and thus has the worst ratings next to PBS. MSNBC is what you want if you're going for liberal extremes: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/countdown-with-keith-olbermann/805561

#42 Posted by believer258 (11637 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

@believer258 said:

@ripelivejam said:

it's cool for humanity to blindly live on in ignorance of its own plight, its own selfish devouring of resources, and its own rampant overpopulation. yeah it's expensive, but it's a matter of maintaining our current society and way of living or having it come crashing down. we need to set in place the infrastructure to allow these changes to start happening. yeah it won't happen overnight, it probably will never happen, but we have to try for the sake of our species.

overpopulation sickens me the most. why are so many people so eager to bring more lives into an already troubled world like this? we should know better.

Are you suggesting that we tell everyone that they can't have kids, or can only have one kid like China does?

Boy, this thread is derailing fast.

#43 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

Well, no stopping overpopulation really so the best goal is to make sure you have the largest sustainable % of the population once everything goes to shit, which is basically what China is doing.

http://uschina.usc.edu/w_usci/showarticle.aspx?articleID=18065&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

#44 Edited by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

i'm just saying there are much larger problems then "oh gas is more expensive right now hopefully it'll be cheaper later"

it's a combination of things that are leading to an eventual complete depletion in earth resources, fossil fuels included. i'm sorry, i'm just kind of sickened by the shortsightedness of people as a whole. i know it's a really really big issue, and something that can't be solved by one little thread or overnight. just airing my grievances, i suppose. these are things that have to be tackled with, if only slowly and surely.

as i can tell some people already have specifics on the immediate problem. so i guess i'll show myself out.

#45 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: Probably right but CNN is Left Wing enough, can't take any of these channels seriously for too long anyways

#46 Posted by MAGZine (435 posts) -

@ripelivejam: I don't think we're running out of oil just yet.

#47 Posted by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

@MAGZine said:

@ripelivejam: I don't think we're running out of oil just yet.

what about when we do? do you just want to assume it's there forever, not try and have a contingency plan?

#48 Posted by MAGZine (435 posts) -

@ripelivejam: We're actively working on a contingency plan. Ever hear of these things called "Nissan Leaf", "chevy Volt" "Tesla Model S"?

#49 Edited by ripelivejam (3541 posts) -

@MAGZine said:

@ripelivejam: We're actively working on a contingency plan. Ever hear of these things called "Nissan Leaf", "chevy Volt" "Tesla Model S"?

yes, just don't think it's coming fast enough IMO. again it's a major undertaking, i'm aware of that. just feels like time is running out to me.

#50 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Does anyone here remember the scene in I Am Legend when they show the gas prices on that old gas station's sign? I thought of that when I read the thread title.