• 144 results
#51 Posted by Fasckira (62 posts) -

@isomeri said:

I guess so. I just find the fascination with pickups and SUV's a bit childish really. Don't get me wrong, I love a Hilux or a RAM as much as the next guy. I just don't think that a "modern" individual would ever need one. The times I've seen anyone actually transporting something in the back of a pickup that wouldn't fit in a normal sedan are outnumbered by my toes. And if you ever need to move around an arcade cabinet for example, it's much cheaper to rent a van for a day than pay enormous amounts for gas each week.

I drive a Shogun because at least once a week Im carting a car full of ice hockey players + full kit bags to arenas around England. Tried doing that in a normal car but space is an issue, hell even in the Shogun its still a squeeze! On top of that, its already proven itself to be ideal in a zombie apocalypse:

(pic taken prior to driving through a Zombie Walk day, shooting "zombies" with nerf guns)

Totally agree though, the average driver on the road doesn't need a 4x4/SUV/Pickup.

#52 Edited by Grilledcheez (3942 posts) -

It was like $3.75 a couple days ago in western PA (at Sam's Club)

#53 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Using terrible math it's around $8 here in Sweden.

#54 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

It's around $4.20 in Washington right now.

Just a couple months ago it was like 60 cents cheaper.

My little car doesn't take much gas and it still costs me around $50 to fill up. Luckily I get good gas mileage.

#55 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@KontX: Ha, I'm at 3.99-4.05 for regular.

#56 Edited by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

This morning, where I live, it was still $3.89 by my house. Keep in mind that NC has the highest gas tax in the South, and it just went up again this past year. Thing is, judging by our roads, schools, etc, we have nothing to show for it. Glad I work full time from home!

#57 Edited by Bollard (5203 posts) -

Bahahaha Americans complaining about petrol prices is hilarious.

$9.42 a gallon in the UK. Deal with it.

Oh no wait, I was using prices from last week. It's actually

$10 a gallon where I live.

#58 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (489 posts) -

Here in New Brunswick, Canada which is on the east coast gas sells for $1.32 / Litre which equates to about $5 / Gallon. Gas prices here are regulated by the provincial government and maximum price limits are set every week based on the price of oil and other market factors. So far we have seen 10 price increases since Christmas and only 2 decreases. I really hope it starts dropping of soon because the price of gas is getting ridiculous considering I have two cars and each one needs a fill-up weekly.

#59 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@Chavtheworld said:

The size of our country and the lack of adequate public transportation requires us to use gas a lot more often. You pay more for the same amount, but you burn it up a lot slower.

#60 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I paid $3.89 last week in AZ.

#61 Posted by DuskVamp (681 posts) -
@Chavtheworld said:

Oh no wait, I was using prices from last week. It's actually

$10 a gallon where I live.

In the budget it was announced that prices are going up again this Autumn, over 50-60% of what we pay for petrol goes to the Government, plus road tax and the roads are still pot holed. One reason why I had to take my car off the road and has been sat in my garage for 2 years, just have to share with my mum now.
#62 Posted by Bollard (5203 posts) -

@DuskVamp: I know, I'm trying to learn to drive at the moment but it's really hard to justify the costs.

#63 Posted by TooWalrus (13130 posts) -

Four bucks in Michigan (or, was a few days ago, I haven't bought lately).

#64 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

Getting to 450 in Sacramento.

Thankfully I just ride my bicycle now, because fuck that

#65 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I think that's particularly ironic, considering that's the home of Motor City.

I feel bad for Europeans, paying what they pay for gas. The US doesn't pay quite that much, but we also often have to drive further to work, so the total expenditures probably come close to equaling each other. I will say this, if ti approaches the $5/gallon mark, we'll hit another recession. The housing bubble was only part of the problem with this recession. If you'll recall, the bubble popped right after gas spiked, and people had to choose between driving to work and paying their adjustable-rate mortgage that just went up. Double-whammy, and people have to work. It'll happen again if they don't level or decrease in price.

#66 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Fucking speculators. There need to be reform, or just make speculating as a on it as a commodity illegal. Without speculators prices would be at around $2.25 national average.

#67 Posted by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

Ya, gas is ridiculous. It was costing me $30 a day to get to work and back when I had a job and had to drive to the city every day. For a 7.5 hour work day at $11 an hour I might as well have stayed home for how little I was making.

#68 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

It will be what the market will bear. People will start eating ramen and give up electricity before they give up their cars. They'll sell their children for half a tank. You can always have more kids.

White flight causes the dependency. Have to work in the city, but don't want to live around the poor people. Drive an hour from the suburbs to go anywhere.

#69 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

It will be what the market will bear. People will start eating ramen and give up electricity before they give up their cars. They'll sell their children for half a tank. You can always have more kids. White flight causes the dependency. Have to work in the city, but don't want to live around the poor people. Drive an hour from the suburbs to go anywhere.

To be fair, living in any major city is also twice as expensive... so it's more fiscally responsible to live in the suburbs, too (well, at least until the gas goes up another buck or two).

#70 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

oh yes you americans have it so rough.. 1,82 Euro a liter in Holland atm.. thats 9,11 dollar a gallon for regular

you people dont know how good you have it.. stop complaining.

#71 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

The size of our country and the lack of adequate public transportation requires us to use gas a lot more often. You pay more for the same amount, but you burn it up a lot slower.

i guess that means fat people should pay less for burgers because they need more..

#72 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -
@sideshow They do pay less because they buy in bulk.
#73 Posted by Kidavenger (3487 posts) -

$4.89/gallon in Ontario

#74 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@sideshow: I didn't say it was fair. I was just pointing out that the disparity in prices over a span of time is less than it seems initially. Also, your government taxes the crap out of it, so don't get pissy at Americans, blame your Government for being fiscally responsible and caring about the environment.

#75 Posted by yoshisaur (2607 posts) -

$3.91 in PA.

#76 Posted by grethade (9 posts) -

We just spiked at $3.81/gallon here in the twin cities.

#77 Posted by jrodrz (155 posts) -

Guatemala, about $4.50 a gallon. Outrageous.

#78 Posted by VetleNM (84 posts) -

Almost 11 USD/gallon (16.5 kr/litre) here in Norway today, that's a new record for us as far as I know.

Gas prices have spiked like crazy the last couple of years. I've almost stopped using my car altogether now. Luckily there are great alternatives to using a car in my city; the distances are small enough so that you can bike pretty much everywhere during summer, and there's a pretty great ski trail running through pretty much the entire city during winter.

#79 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Whilst Americans on the whole do need to drive further to get to work or whatever, the fact that the average car has a 3litre engine doesn't help. When 22 miles to the gallon is described as good, you know there is something fucked up. Drive a reasonable sized car and you'll be paying less than half for fuel than you do now. (As a country, not you as an individual, lol)

#80 Edited by Querky (8 posts) -

Man this made me sad! Did some converions SEK (swedish currency) to USD and liters to gallons. Ended up with some 8,51 USD/gallon. Might be slightly higher, havn't checked latest prices.

#81 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Whilst Americans on the whole do need to drive further to get to work or whatever, the fact that the average car has a 3litre engine doesn't help. When 22 miles to the gallon is described as good, you know there is something fucked up. Drive a reasonable sized car and you'll be paying less than half for fuel than you do now. (As a country, not you as an individual, lol)

Absolutely true, haha. FYI, I drive a Ford Focus, with 26 or 27 miles to the gallon, so I'm ahead of the curve!

#82 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -

4 dollars in Missouri

#83 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

You'd think the electric car would be making a huge stand here. However gas and oil companies really don't want that to happen so you know they are spending whatever they can to keep that technology down. I hate fucking greed.

#84 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

It's been bouncing between $3.60 and $3.90 for the last few months here in Dayton, OH. It finally tipped over to $4.05 the other night. Crazy.

#85 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

min here is $3.87 now. i buy gas at a grocery store. they have a program where you spend amount and get "gas points". it's like every $100 you spend there you get 10 cents off. if you save the points then you get you can get a lot off gas.

#86 Posted by Joey2683 (353 posts) -

Man, I didn't realize gas was cheaper everywhere else in the US. In Indiana it's $3.95. Was $4.05 a couple of days ago.

#87 Posted by MikeinSC (895 posts) -

@avidwriter said:

You'd think the electric car would be making a huge stand here. However gas and oil companies really don't want that to happen so you know they are spending whatever they can to keep that technology down. I hate fucking greed.

Oil and gas companies prevent anybody from buying them? The Volt has recalled more calls than it sold to date. That is nobody's fault but Chevy. The cars being overpriced, fire hazards, and not terribly high quality is why they are bombing.

Also, any ideas how to handle the issue of overloading an already very old and creaky electricity infrastructure in this country?

#88 Posted by MikeinSC (895 posts) -

@ninjakiller said:

Fucking speculators. There need to be reform, or just make speculating as a on it as a commodity illegal. Without speculators prices would be at around $2.25 national average.

Yes, speculators are why supply is low and demand is high. Easy to forget that. Imagine if ANWR was opened up as Bush asked for 10 years ago. It would be producing oil for the market...well, right about now.

#89 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

@MikeinSC said:

@ninjakiller said:

Yes, speculators are why supply is low and demand is high. Easy to forget that. Imagine if ANWR was opened up as Bush asked for 10 years ago. It would be producing oil for the market...well, right about now.

Yes, and shipping it off to China. That's never mentioned by those on the right for some reason.

#90 Posted by MikeinSC (895 posts) -

@ninjakiller said:

@MikeinSC said:

@ninjakiller said:

Yes, and shipping it off to China. That's never mentioned by those on the right for some reason.

It's called a market. Let's say 10M barrels of our oil goes to China. That is 10M barrels from elsewhere not going there.

You think that would have no bearing on oil prices?

The issue is that demand far outpaces supply.

#91 Posted by Sander (409 posts) -
#92 Posted by MikeinSC (895 posts) -
#93 Posted by MKMarvel (4 posts) -

@avidwriter said:

Those cars are terrible, the volt only has about maybe 40 miles to a charge and they take hours to recharge. The tech does need to advance a lot to become reliable. There aren't even many recharging stations and electric grids can't handle the increase in usage. Gas is over $4.30 here and insane.

#94 Posted by Sander (409 posts) -
@MikeinSC said:

@Sander said:

But back in the summer of 2008 when the average U.S. gasoline price hit a record high of $4.11, Fox said that "no President has the power to increase or to lower gas prices" and the only way to reduce our vulnerability to gas price spikes is to use less oil.

tl;dr Evidence #8948592 that Fox News is trash.

MMFA. *chortle*

Couldn't find a real source, eh?

You mean, beyond the youtube link that shows the actual Fox News broadcasts?
#95 Posted by Arkasai (701 posts) -

$4.39/g last time I filled up. I drive <60miles a day so an electric car makes sense for me if I ever find a used one ;p They are the future guys, sure we burn coal and fossil fuels to charge them up, but at least they use the electricity at up to 95% efficiency...compared to the same fuel being about 20% efficient in my car, probably a lot less if my car ran on coal. I enjoy being able to pop my hood and get dirty with routine maintenance, and for the most part it'll be the same...like changing the oil, transmission, brake and power steering fluids, checking fuses, replacing headlights-that stuff will all be the same. A lot less to worry about though! no alternators, belts, radiators, fans, catalytic converter, or internal combustion engine with hundreds of moving parts- multiple cams and a timing belt/chain that's a pain to replace...the list goes on!

#96 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

Just about to crack 4 bucks here

#97 Edited by isomeri (1217 posts) -

@Fasckira said:

(pic taken prior to driving through a Zombie Walk day, shooting "zombies" with nerf guns)

@isomeri said:

I guess so. I just find the fascination with pickups and SUV's a bit childish really. Don't get me wrong, I love a Hilux or a RAM as much as the next guy. I just don't think that a "modern" individual would ever need one. The times I've seen anyone actually transporting something in the back of a pickup that wouldn't fit in a normal sedan are outnumbered by my toes. And if you ever need to move around an arcade cabinet for example, it's much cheaper to rent a van for a day than pay enormous amounts for gas each week.

I drive a Shogun because at least once a week Im carting a car full of ice hockey players + full kit bags to arenas around England. Tried doing that in a normal car but space is an issue, hell even in the Shogun its still a squeeze! On top of that, its already proven itself to be ideal in a zombie apocalypse:

Totally agree though, the average driver on the road doesn't need a 4x4/SUV/Pickup.

Sounds like you need a Shogun. I'm just saying that most of the SUV's I see on the road only have one person sitting in them. Also here are some interesting and some not so interesting statistics on what Americans drive.

#98 Posted by MikeinSC (895 posts) -

@Sander said:

@MikeinSC said:

@Sander said:

But back in the summer of 2008 when the average U.S. gasoline price hit a record high of $4.11, Fox said that "no President has the power to increase or to lower gas prices" and the only way to reduce our vulnerability to gas price spikes is to use less oil.

tl;dr Evidence #8948592 that Fox News is trash.

MMFA. *chortle*

Couldn't find a real source, eh?

You mean, beyond the youtube link that shows the actual Fox News broadcasts?

Yes, because the You Tube video covers over 100 hours of broadcasting on all channels. Sure.

Try and find somebody competent or respected. MMFA? Get that nonsense out of here. Let the home of the paranoid hypocrite David wallow in its own anti-Semitic and laughable idiocy.

#99 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (711 posts) -

the average price around where i live is $4.05 a gallon.

#100 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

I think we were at $4.30 yesterday.