Gene Wilder passes away at 83.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Another one of my childhood icons passed away today due to complications from Alzheimer’s disease.

Quick, someone give me a sedagive.

tfarcevol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tfarcevol

SEDAGIVE!?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

This one hits hard for me. Loved Gene Wilder in a ton of movies growing up, going from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to the Mel Brooks Classics like The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. He was a key component to what made those films fantastic and was a great actor overall.

RIP Wilder. You'll be missed.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

He's been in a whole host of memorable roles, but boy has this song had quite an impact on pop culture:

Loading Video...

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Growing up, Blazing Saddles had the biggest influence on my sense of humor. I also watched Willy Wonka countless times. This one hurts. RIP Waco Kid.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

For me he's one of those special comedians where you have to say there is really not anyone else like him. He also had a ton of ability as an actor and that needs to be said. A lot of great moments but probably my favorite is the random creepy tunnel ride in Wonka which he just nails, in all its oddity.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't really seen him in any acting role aside from Willy Wonka, but it's still difficult to stomach his passing.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Blazing Saddles is the best Mel Brooks movie. Gene Wilder was truly great.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Gene Wilder is a legend, in all his interviews and discussions he couldn't have appeared more humble, one interview he even stated he didn't think he was very funny to which the entire audience laughed. Young Frankenstein is one of the greatest comedies ever made, Willy Wonka really is pure imagination, I could not imagine anyone else in those roles he elevated everything he was in I can't tell you how often me and my father quote him.

This year watching so many of my childhood icons from Music and Movies and TV die has been awful, I'm glad their memory is preserved through the art they created and helped shape. But Gene Wilder is going to be a tough one to process I really did love all of his work dearly.

Put the candle BACK!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

RIP

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

His performance as Willy Wonka has to be put in as the definition of flawless in some form or another. RIP.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If you haven't, watch The Frisco Kid. Gene was just the best.

Loading Video...
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ya, I just heard about this. So sad, but at least he made it to 83.

Now he can see Gilda again.

One of the best actors ever. He was incredible, and a really good person to boot. RIP

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Blazing Saddles is epic. RIP Gene.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Willy wonka is still one of my all time favorites and when you realize his contributions to his films behind the scenes you see how amazing he was.

One example was that no one in willy wonka who were the contestants knew he was going to hobble to the gates with a cane. He did it on the first take and all the kids were showing real sorrow and made it to the final cut because he deliberately asked for it to be removed from the script.

I still quote "candy is dandy but liquor is quicker"

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jonny_anonymous:

God, that literally brought tears to my eyes. This, strangely after yesterday realizing that it's been a while since I last cried. That last part of the first paragraph was wonderful news, though. Something very fortunate about something so devastating.

Willy wonka is still one of my all time favorites and when you realize his contributions to his films behind the scenes you see how amazing he was.

One example was that no one in willy wonka who were the contestants knew he was going to hobble to the gates with a cane. He did it on the first take and all the kids were showing real sorrow and made it to the final cut because he deliberately asked for it to be removed from the script.

Close. He actually came up with the idea of that scene before even agreeing to take the part, and the addition of the scene was the only condition he had for accepting the role. They agreed, and my favorite children's movie of all time became a reality.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Your right on. I couldn't remember the details but glad you clarified for those who don't know that story. Man I love that movie. I love in the song pure imagination and he bites the yellow tulip cup and chews it, it's actually just candle wax and he does it without wincing. He's a pro but for 20 years of my life I thought it was legit candy!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Moved to Off Topic, General is for discussions about the site and video games. Thanks.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hassun

Alzheimer's Disease is truly awful. I'm glad he made it to around 80 before it took a toll on him.

I'm not sure there was ever an actor better at doing that voice where someone gets gradually angrier and angrier.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

And he was great the the regular jokes as well of course.

Loading Video...
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@lead_dispencer said:

@spaceinsomniac: Your right on. I couldn't remember the details but glad you clarified for those who don't know that story. Man I love that movie. I love in the song pure imagination and he bites the yellow tulip cup and chews it, it's actually just candle wax and he does it without wincing. He's a pro but for 20 years of my life I thought it was legit candy!

Speaking of the candy room and messing with the child actors, the reaction on film was the first time any of the children ever saw that set. All of the recent DVDs and Blu-rays have a feature-length commentary with everyone who played the Wonka kids, and it's a really great listen for fans of the movie.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pour one out for my boy Yung Frankenstein.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blazing Saddles.................................nuff said

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Mezmero

Damn, what a bummer. I only know him from a few movies but his role is memorable in all of them. May he rest in peace.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I just wanted to add "Stir Crazy" (1980) to the list of very funny Gene Wilder films. His chemistry with Richard Pryor was great in "Silver Streak", "Stir Crazy" and "See No Evil, Hear No Evil"

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rand0mZer00

@monkeyking1969: "Stir Crazy" is one of my favorite comedies ever. Like you said, his chemistry with Richard Pryor was awesome to see on the silver screen. Here are some of my favorite scenes:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Young Frankenstein I bought on a whim as I left my local Best Buy years ago when I saw it in the $5 bin right before you check out. This was the second Wilder film I watched after Willy Wonka. I knew Young Frankenstein was held in high regard, so I bought it and while I'm not going to say anything that people haven't already said about how great the film is, what I can say it was truly a best buy in every sense of the meaning:

Loading Video...

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His performance as Willy Wonka is what makes that movie as great as it is. His character just seems so above everything and unshakable until that crazy outburst at the end. He played it so well.