• 93 results
#1 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -
#2 Posted by TheDoubleJ (204 posts) -

man it took them a long time
#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It's unbelievable that they're actually still paying.

#4 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Awesome! Now waiting for the WW2 to end too...

#5 Posted by Gooddoggy (410 posts) -

Huh, whaddaya know.  For some reason I just always assumed the reparations debt sot of went away during the Second World War.  Considering how much money got spent during the Marshall Plan, and how a strong West Germany was useful to NATO as a buffer against the Soviets/Warsaw Pact, I would have thought a lot of that debt would have been forgiven.  Especially since one of the lessons of the Treaty of Versailles is that, rather than rendering them militarily helpless, utterly ruining a country just destabilizing their government and helps prepare the way for monstrously radical regime change.

#6 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Wow.

#7 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

No they haven't. They have paid off the bonds which they floated in the 20s in order to help pay off their initial dept. They have paid about 1/14th of the total dept.

#8 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Took 'em long enough.

#9 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

That's pretty insane when you think about it. That was ages ago, and they're still paying.

#10 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

lol
#11 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Azteck said:
" That's pretty insane when you think about it. That was ages ago, and they're still paying. "
They should.  I wonder how long it'll take 'em to pay off for what they did in WW2.
#12 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
" That's pretty insane when you think about it. That was ages ago, and they're still paying. "
They should.  I wonder how long it'll take 'em to pay off for what they did in WW2. "
you actually think Germany deserves the reparations? if you do thats really stupid they just decided at the end of WW1 to give them a fucking stupid amount of money to pay saying that it was ALL Germany's fault for WW1 which it wasn't. they just said "pay us a gazillion dollars" and that was it
#13 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (550 posts) -

92 years ago, huh? I mean, how many people who are alive now remember the end of World War 1? You'd have to be on older side of a 100 to remember such a thing. 

#14 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Wow! That's kinda awesome. I actually didn't know they were still in debt for the destruction done during WWI.

#15 Posted by Sikila (70 posts) -
@KaosAngel:  I was gonna write a huge rage rant for this but I thought my part and left it for good. And yes I´m German so think of that what you will. We weren´t the only ones doing bad stuff during WWII just remember that.
#16 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
They should.  I wonder how long it'll take 'em to pay off for what they did in WW2. "
Lol. Behold ladies and gentlemen, the exact type of thinking that brought on WW2 in the first place.
#17 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
I don't know if they should. While WW1 was horrible in every way imaginable, I don't think that it's fair that they're still being reprimanded for it. After all, it wasn't all Germany's fault, and it was almost a hundred years ago. And besides, the way the court decided what their punishment would be was far from just. At the end of the day, how does this actually affect you? I'm not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, but it seems rather harsch to claim that they should still pay for it a hundred years later.
#18 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

Germans should pay for what they did in WW2 not WW1. For WW1 americans should pay for getting into a war that wasnt theirs

#19 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Azteck: Considering they don't have to pay for WW2, I think it's a fair trade.  It's not like they murdered and tortured innocent jews, blacks, arabs, and others during the 40s.
#20 Edited by Gooddoggy (410 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

" @Azteck said:

I don't think it's fair - or helpful - to equate Germany's outright villainy in WWII with what happened in WWI.  The First World War was a tragedy, but it's not like Germany set out some unprovoked war of conquest.  The real conflict was between Austria-Hungary and Serbia and spiralled out of control due to the complex balance of treaties and alliances that dominated European politics.  No one was prepared for the consequences of large scale industrial warfare.  Do you harbor resentment towards Germany over the Franco-Prussian War?  What about the Crimea?  Should France have been forced to pay reparations for a century because of what Napoleon did?  I'm willing to hear an argument, but I can't see any sort of moral high ground in the Great War.

By comparison, Germany was clearly in the wrong, and completely at fault, for World War II.  The Nazi's preached a thoroughly evil political and racial ideology and started an unprovoked war of conquest with the apparent goal dominating all of Europe, at the very least.  They ought to pay for what they did.

Edit:  I should type faster, as a half dozen people made my point for me as I was writing this.
#21 Posted by Tedtded (37 posts) -

Germany paid 1/8 of their WWI debts (The Versaillest treaty was a piece of horribly unreasonable shit). WWII I Don't even know about. Let it rest now.

#22 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Gooddoggy: They don't have to pay for WW2 though, so think of this as them paying for WW2.  
#23 Posted by Lukeweizer (2654 posts) -

So, what about World War 2? They still paying for that?

#24 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Lukeweizer said:
" So, what about World War 2? They still paying for that? "
They got off free for that.
#25 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I also think the US should pay most South American countries for all the terrible shit they did there during the Cold War. Oh wait and in Europe. And Asia. Oh wait the US should pay everyone else since it's done so much terrible shit. The world is a toilet, if you start criticizing individual turds then not only are you a hypocrite but you're also saying that some turds are worth liking.

#26 Posted by Gooddoggy (410 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Lukeweizer said:
They got off free for that. "
Well, the people responsible for starting and running the war were hanged.  And West Germany did make some reparations for the Holocaust - not enough, but how could it ever be enough?  Saying Germany "got off free" for the war is pushing it.

I just don't see the point of imposing reparations as penalty.  "Right, well you guys engaged in wholesale murder for five years, so here's this fine.  Of course, we absolutely leveled your industrial capacity, so good luck paying it."
#27 Posted by pplus0440 (260 posts) -
@Azteck:
nice pic
#28 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

The US collected on every single cent that they loaned to us (the UK) during WW2.  In fact, taking the interest into account, we ended up paying back double what was borrowed, and only finished paying it off a few years ago.  It doesn't matter whether you were enemies that started two world wars, or allies that stood shoulder to shoulder to defeat the Nazis and stare down Russia; money trumps everything.

#29 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

Wow!  This is amazing!  There was a World War 1?

#30 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -
@pwnasaurus said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
you actually think Germany deserves the reparations? if you do thats really stupid they just decided at the end of WW1 to give them a fucking stupid amount of money to pay saying that it was ALL Germany's fault for WW1 which it wasn't. they just said "pay us a gazillion dollars" and that was it "
That is part of the reason for WW2.
#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11849 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
" Wow!  This is amazing!  There was a World War 1? "
Yeah, weird huh? Think of it like System Shock 1. It was nowhere near as well known as its sequel.
#32 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -
@billnyethesciencepie:  

Hell, it's about time. 
#33 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
you actually think Germany deserves the reparations? if you do thats really stupid they just decided at the end of WW1 to give them a fucking stupid amount of money to pay saying that it was ALL Germany's fault for WW1 which it wasn't. they just said "pay us a gazillion dollars" and that was it "
That is part of the reason for WW2. "
I know that, Hitler used them as a platform he promised Germany wouldn't pay anymore and they didn't when he was in power.
#34 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -
@pwnasaurus: That wasn't aimed at you.  That was to Kaos
#35 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

So will france, Belgium, and other countries be forced to pay reperations for causing the holocaust and WW2 then because of their actions at the Treaty of Versailles? Since that was the direct influence of Hitler and the Nazi's coming into Power.

#36 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos: oh sorry didn't mean to come off as a dick
#37 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -
@pwnasaurus: No problem.
#38 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

Hah, what a responsible government!

#39 Posted by EveretteScott (1459 posts) -
@hedfone said:
" dont care "
A significant moment in history and you "dont care"? I feel bad for you.
#40 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

That's pretty crazy.

#41 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

It's glad to see they saw the treaty through, even though it was totally unfair.

#42 Posted by VoodooTerror (607 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" @Lukeweizer said:
They got off free for that. "
they did lose a bunch of land, their economy crumbled, countless innocent citizens died in bombing raids by the allies and millions of german soldiers who were simply following orders lost their lives......free?
#43 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
  Let's celebrate this shit in true german fashion
#44 Posted by breakonthrough (11 posts) -

Feels sad to me people pay for something there great grandfathers did who are propbly dead by now

#45 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

In gold fillings.

#46 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1335 posts) -
@Jack268: You bring the beers ill bring the schnitzel
#47 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I laughed.

#48 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@hedfone said:
" @xyzygy said:
" This is actually pretty cool. How many other countries have done this, or is Germany the first? 

@hedfone
said:

" dont care "

Why post?  "
the world needs to know "
This made me laugh more than it should have.
#49 Posted by Xeiphyer (5602 posts) -
@Azteck said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
I don't know if they should. While WW1 was horrible in every way imaginable, I don't think that it's fair that they're still being reprimanded for it. After all, it wasn't all Germany's fault, and it was almost a hundred years ago. And besides, the way the court decided what their punishment would be was far from just. At the end of the day, how does this actually affect you? I'm not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, but it seems rather harsch to claim that they should still pay for it a hundred years later. "
Yeah, what'd those germans ever do to deserve this anyways, right?!  The reason they are still paying 100 years later is because of the size of the payments, they were small on purpose so they don't ruin germany's economy.
#50 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Grats Germany. I know what it's like to be in debt all the time too.