man it took them a long time
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's unbelievable that they're actually still paying.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShockD

Awesome! Now waiting for the WW2 to end too...

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Huh, whaddaya know.  For some reason I just always assumed the reparations debt sot of went away during the Second World War.  Considering how much money got spent during the Marshall Plan, and how a strong West Germany was useful to NATO as a buffer against the Soviets/Warsaw Pact, I would have thought a lot of that debt would have been forgiven.  Especially since one of the lessons of the Treaty of Versailles is that, rather than rendering them militarily helpless, utterly ruining a country just destabilizing their government and helps prepare the way for monstrously radical regime change.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fwylo

Wow.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterChief

No they haven't. They have paid off the bonds which they floated in the 20s in order to help pay off their initial dept. They have paid about 1/14th of the total dept.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Took 'em long enough.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

That's pretty insane when you think about it. That was ages ago, and they're still paying.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Yanngc33

lol
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
@Azteck said:
" That's pretty insane when you think about it. That was ages ago, and they're still paying. "
They should.  I wonder how long it'll take 'em to pay off for what they did in WW2.
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By pwnasaurus
@KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
" That's pretty insane when you think about it. That was ages ago, and they're still paying. "
They should.  I wonder how long it'll take 'em to pay off for what they did in WW2. "
you actually think Germany deserves the reparations? if you do thats really stupid they just decided at the end of WW1 to give them a fucking stupid amount of money to pay saying that it was ALL Germany's fault for WW1 which it wasn't. they just said "pay us a gazillion dollars" and that was it
Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

92 years ago, huh? I mean, how many people who are alive now remember the end of World War 1? You'd have to be on older side of a 100 to remember such a thing. 

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spaceturtle

Wow! That's kinda awesome. I actually didn't know they were still in debt for the destruction done during WWI.

sikila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sikila
@KaosAngel:  I was gonna write a huge rage rant for this but I thought my part and left it for good. And yes I´m German so think of that what you will. We weren´t the only ones doing bad stuff during WWII just remember that.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RsistncE
@KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
They should.  I wonder how long it'll take 'em to pay off for what they did in WW2. "
Lol. Behold ladies and gentlemen, the exact type of thinking that brought on WW2 in the first place.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Azteck
@KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
I don't know if they should. While WW1 was horrible in every way imaginable, I don't think that it's fair that they're still being reprimanded for it. After all, it wasn't all Germany's fault, and it was almost a hundred years ago. And besides, the way the court decided what their punishment would be was far from just. At the end of the day, how does this actually affect you? I'm not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, but it seems rather harsch to claim that they should still pay for it a hundred years later.
Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Nasos100

Germans should pay for what they did in WW2 not WW1. For WW1 americans should pay for getting into a war that wasnt theirs

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
@Azteck: Considering they don't have to pay for WW2, I think it's a fair trade.  It's not like they murdered and tortured innocent jews, blacks, arabs, and others during the 40s.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:

" @Azteck said:

I don't think it's fair - or helpful - to equate Germany's outright villainy in WWII with what happened in WWI.  The First World War was a tragedy, but it's not like Germany set out some unprovoked war of conquest.  The real conflict was between Austria-Hungary and Serbia and spiralled out of control due to the complex balance of treaties and alliances that dominated European politics.  No one was prepared for the consequences of large scale industrial warfare.  Do you harbor resentment towards Germany over the Franco-Prussian War?  What about the Crimea?  Should France have been forced to pay reparations for a century because of what Napoleon did?  I'm willing to hear an argument, but I can't see any sort of moral high ground in the Great War.

By comparison, Germany was clearly in the wrong, and completely at fault, for World War II.  The Nazi's preached a thoroughly evil political and racial ideology and started an unprovoked war of conquest with the apparent goal dominating all of Europe, at the very least.  They ought to pay for what they did.

Edit:  I should type faster, as a half dozen people made my point for me as I was writing this.
Tedtded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tedtded

Germany paid 1/8 of their WWI debts (The Versaillest treaty was a piece of horribly unreasonable shit). WWII I Don't even know about. Let it rest now.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KaosAngel
@Gooddoggy: They don't have to pay for WW2 though, so think of this as them paying for WW2.  
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lukeweizer

So, what about World War 2? They still paying for that?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KaosAngel
@Lukeweizer said:
" So, what about World War 2? They still paying for that? "
They got off free for that.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE

I also think the US should pay most South American countries for all the terrible shit they did there during the Cold War. Oh wait and in Europe. And Asia. Oh wait the US should pay everyone else since it's done so much terrible shit. The world is a toilet, if you start criticizing individual turds then not only are you a hypocrite but you're also saying that some turds are worth liking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
" @Lukeweizer said:
They got off free for that. "
Well, the people responsible for starting and running the war were hanged.  And West Germany did make some reparations for the Holocaust - not enough, but how could it ever be enough?  Saying Germany "got off free" for the war is pushing it.

I just don't see the point of imposing reparations as penalty.  "Right, well you guys engaged in wholesale murder for five years, so here's this fine.  Of course, we absolutely leveled your industrial capacity, so good luck paying it."
pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pplus0440
@Azteck:
nice pic
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jimbo

The US collected on every single cent that they loaned to us (the UK) during WW2.  In fact, taking the interest into account, we ended up paying back double what was borrowed, and only finished paying it off a few years ago.  It doesn't matter whether you were enemies that started two world wars, or allies that stood shoulder to shoulder to defeat the Nazis and stare down Russia; money trumps everything.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchScabby

Wow!  This is amazing!  There was a World War 1?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@pwnasaurus said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
you actually think Germany deserves the reparations? if you do thats really stupid they just decided at the end of WW1 to give them a fucking stupid amount of money to pay saying that it was ALL Germany's fault for WW1 which it wasn't. they just said "pay us a gazillion dollars" and that was it "
That is part of the reason for WW2.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#31  Edited By BeachThunder
@ArchScabby said:
" Wow!  This is amazing!  There was a World War 1? "
Yeah, weird huh? Think of it like System Shock 1. It was nowhere near as well known as its sequel.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billnyethesciencepie:  

Hell, it's about time. 
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pwnasaurus
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @pwnasaurus said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
you actually think Germany deserves the reparations? if you do thats really stupid they just decided at the end of WW1 to give them a fucking stupid amount of money to pay saying that it was ALL Germany's fault for WW1 which it wasn't. they just said "pay us a gazillion dollars" and that was it "
That is part of the reason for WW2. "
I know that, Hitler used them as a platform he promised Germany wouldn't pay anymore and they didn't when he was in power.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@pwnasaurus: That wasn't aimed at you.  That was to Kaos
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

So will france, Belgium, and other countries be forced to pay reperations for causing the holocaust and WW2 then because of their actions at the Treaty of Versailles? Since that was the direct influence of Hitler and the Nazi's coming into Power.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pwnasaurus
@SethPhotopoulos: oh sorry didn't mean to come off as a dick
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@pwnasaurus: No problem.
Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Crocio

Hah, what a responsible government!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hedfone said:
" dont care "
A significant moment in history and you "dont care"? I feel bad for you.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By ajamafalous

That's pretty crazy.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Death_Unicorn

It's glad to see they saw the treaty through, even though it was totally unfair.

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By voodooterror
@KaosAngel said:
" @Lukeweizer said:
They got off free for that. "
they did lose a bunch of land, their economy crumbled, countless innocent citizens died in bombing raids by the allies and millions of german soldiers who were simply following orders lost their lives......free?
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jack268
  Let's celebrate this shit in true german fashion
breakonthrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By breakonthrough

Feels sad to me people pay for something there great grandfathers did who are propbly dead by now

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By DukeTogo

In gold fillings.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryanwho
@hedfone said:
" @xyzygy said:
" This is actually pretty cool. How many other countries have done this, or is Germany the first? 

@hedfone
said:

" dont care "

Why post?  "
the world needs to know "
This made me laugh more than it should have.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Azteck said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Azteck said:
I don't know if they should. While WW1 was horrible in every way imaginable, I don't think that it's fair that they're still being reprimanded for it. After all, it wasn't all Germany's fault, and it was almost a hundred years ago. And besides, the way the court decided what their punishment would be was far from just. At the end of the day, how does this actually affect you? I'm not saying you don't have the right to your opinion, but it seems rather harsch to claim that they should still pay for it a hundred years later. "
Yeah, what'd those germans ever do to deserve this anyways, right?!  The reason they are still paying 100 years later is because of the size of the payments, they were small on purpose so they don't ruin germany's economy.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By crusader8463

Grats Germany. I know what it's like to be in debt all the time too.